Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 01:04 AM   #631
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Everything sounds wonderful. I will make sure to get some good directions and a map from AAA before we go. We had a heck of a time on our last WDW trip trying to get to the outlets near WDW. Our stupid GPS kept trying to route us to the one near Universal. I got really cranky about the whole thing, so it was good we had one of those flyers from the tourist parts of the hotels. GPS can be so @#$%&* annoying!

I have never stayed on Oauhu so never been to the Arizona Memorial. Fran's Mother's First Husband died there, so it will be quite an ordeal to go there. I think from the way that she talks about her mother, she cares for the husband she never met more than her father so this could be awkward, but I"m sure it will be poignant.

I sorry to see this trip coming to a close, but you may change your mind about best DVC when you check into the VGC. I haven't been to Aulani, but it's definitely my favorite! The wood work is incredible and everything is laid out so perfectly, and two bathrooms in the 1 bedroom! Perfection!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:48 AM   #632
Beth D
DIS Veteran

Can I just title the remainder of my posts computer gone wonky?

They blocked pics from our internet at work, so only reading at home now...

Sorry about your so-so dinner. If you ever come to Northern OH, my full blooded sicilian dad will make you a pot of his red sauce! Either that, or i'll tell you about a little local place with two sicilian brothers and the best bruscetta you ever had!

Your Pearl Harbor pics gave me goosebumps and brought tears to my eyes! My grandpa was later stationed there, but not for the raid. one day I'll make it there!

Happy but sad to see your TR getting to an end. I can tell you're getting the blues!
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #633
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth D

Sorry about your so-so dinner. If you ever come to Northern OH, my full blooded sicilian dad will make you a pot of his red sauce! Either that, or i'll tell you about a little local place with two sicilian brothers and the best bruscetta you ever had!

Your Pearl Harbor pics gave me goosebumps and brought tears to my eyes! My grandpa was later stationed there, but not for the raid. one day I'll make it there!

Happy but sad to see your TR getting to an end. I can tell you're getting the blues!
I don't know about Ellen, but I would the name of that restaurant!
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #634
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Pearl Harbor is so fascinating.
My parents visited it a few years ago (while staying the Marriott next to Aulani being built.)
Your sunset pictures are just gorgeous. I would love to see something like that today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
That must have made your visit even more meaningful than most, and that is really saying a lot.

By the way- VERY sad jenseib met you in the hallway at AKV and I didn't!! Next time I hope I'm the one who runs into you in the hallway!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I know! I'm sad I missed you too! I recognized Jen's hair! I was hoping she didnt' think I was a stalker.

Jill in CO
Quote:
That's funny- she told me that. I think we overlap in May- I will be at OKW May2-3, then AKV CL May 3-6. We will be spending a LOT of time in Epcot, so maybe you'll recognize MY hair this time- although it's not nearly as colorful as Jen's!
I guess i should've dragged her along with us.

I can help you both if you want colorful hair. I am a licensed cosmetologist!
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #635
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

I know you've posted this before but what villa number were you in? I keep going back and forth on my room request. We have an OV studio and I really want a great sunset view and can't figure out the best spot to get lots of sunset but less of the non aulani resorts due to the angled balconies.

Gorgeous shots (and now I want mac and cheese)
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #636
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Ok, somehow I lost track of your TR when you left for Mexico and missed a lot of updates!

Amazing how both you and Bill had such GPS issues on the island! I'm starting to wonder if I need to leave mine at home altogether!

Pearl Harbor looked like it was totally worth the effort to get there, though.

Your pictures of Aulani are beautiful! The sunset looked pretty amazing.

It's especially exciting to me now since...our wait list for Aulani came through! So we will get to experience it after all. I can't announce it on my own TR yet because my wife will see it. She doesn't know yet, but I'm going to surprise her with it next month for her birthday.
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #637
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I sorry to see this trip coming to a close, but you may change your mind about best DVC when you check into the VGC. I haven't been to Aulani, but it's definitely my favorite! The wood work is incredible and everything is laid out so perfectly, and two bathrooms in the 1 bedroom! Perfection!
I hate to say it, but Aulani is becoming my favorite even though I love VGC. AKV comes in third.

The sunsets are amazing!

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #638
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Hey Ellen! Love the update! You and Pods took a great pic. So sad your trip is almost over. Thanks for sharing your snow pics - makes me happy to be here for the Winter. Are you sharing your vacay pics?

Hi Tammie! Yes, I will eventually share them- I just kind of need closure with finishing Hawaii and DISmoms before I take on anything else. I am headed to WDW with Timmy 4 weeks from Friday, and then DISmoms not long after that....so, hang in there, eventually I'll talk about Mexico. It was very nice though!

I had to laugh at your wrong turn to Pearl Harbor. Our GPS wasn't really helpful there, either. We have a saying from the Karate Kid movie, because we were stationed there in Okinawa the time it came out: "You're on Kadena Air Base!" (spoken in your best good old boy Southern drawl) I told Jim you had a "you're on Kadena Air Base" moment at Pearl!

Yes! We did!

The USS Arizona is def. a must do. So moving. I'm glad your boys "got it" but I knew they would cuz you're that kind of mom.
Awww... thanks so much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasshan View Post
Hi Ellen,

I've just read your entire TR this morning, by using your links.
I've really enjoyed it! Thanks for all the great travel/tour/activity tips.

I noticed that any swimming your family does on-site is in the pools.
I'm guessing this question has been addressed at some point in time, but was wondering, did you ever swim at the beach right there at Aulani?
It looks calm in most pictures so I'm assuming it's not the place to boogie board, body surf or surf. But curious if it is a nice, safe, beach to swim at, particularly for little ones like my 5 and 6 year olds.

Hi there avid reader! We DID swim in the ocean- it is VERY safe and calm. I have a slew of pics from our last day, because we went paddle boarding in the last minutes at Aulani. You are correct in assuming there are no waves for boogie boarding etc- and I think it is PERFECT for little ones to swim- no worries there.

I think if we made this trip we would want to max out what we could do at the resort and only do 1 or 2 activities off-site. The teens could go off everyday, but the less "traveling" the better for the little ones. (one is on autism spectrum; the other delayed-with special needs etc.)
Thanks,
Shanna
I think Aulani will be AMAZING for your little ones- I was envious of families with younger kids who could partake in Aunty's beach house- ALWAYS fun stuff going on in there. I bet both of your younger ones would not ever want to leave....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
Great updates! I went to see Pearl Harbor back in the late 90's (1998?) and I remember it well, so moving to be there. My DH is interested in going there so I might get him to agree to the long flight to Hawaii someday!

Beautiful Sunset Pics!
EXCELLENT!!!! I'm glad you have found something to get him on the plane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I love all the pictures in this update, but there two in particular. It must have been REALLY hard to say goodbye to that sunset. Just spectacular!

So VWL will be the last DVC resort on your list. Nice. I hope you love it. The rooms are definitely rustic. If you have never taken the lodge tour and have time to do so before you leave for the cruise, do so. You will really enjoy it.

Yes, it's the last at WDW- honestly, our house looks at acres of woods, so that is why- we look at woods all the time, want something a little different on vacation. I do hope to do the Lodge tour, I had read about that and forgot, so thank you for reminding me. I am still not sure what we will do for the parks- although I think alot will depend on how long that Yankee game is. I keep wishing they would release that new FP system, because then at least we could reserve a bunch of rides in case the parks are crazy crowded.

BTW - 7 weeks and I am going back to HHI! So excited! I love it there and I will say 'hi' to Dottie for you!
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO envious!!! I want to go back- I have 3 visits under my belt, but I would love some more. I think it would make for an incredible couples getaway- golf and all those restaurants, not to mention how incredibly beautiful it is. I would love an early Oct trip there. I just wish there were cheaper flights to Savannah from NJ- the prices are CRAZEEEEEE!!!!! You are going with Denny this time, right? I hope he loves it- Yes, please say hi to Dottie- I haven't spoken to her in a long while- please tell her I miss her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
There r only a few things I remember about hawaii (this is what happens when u go as an 18yr old with a fake I'd lol) and true Pearl Harbor was one of them. I really want to take the boys there and I think it would mean even more to me now ya know. Btw u should have told the MPs u know me lmao and I'm married to a marine who's not so lean and not so mean but still a fighting machine lol.cant wait to see ur last dinner and night.

Yea- would have thrown us in the clink for SURE then!

I'm counting down till May then after August yeah!
Me too! VERY, very excited to hang with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Great update.

The beach looks gorgeous.
Thanks! Really wish I was there right now!
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #639
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Everything sounds wonderful. I will make sure to get some good directions and a map from AAA before we go. We had a heck of a time on our last WDW trip trying to get to the outlets near WDW. Our stupid GPS kept trying to route us to the one near Universal. I got really cranky about the whole thing, so it was good we had one of those flyers from the tourist parts of the hotels. GPS can be so @#$%&* annoying!

Very smart to get the AAA map- don't forget to stop at the Valet, they are helpful, too and have directions already printed to many places.

I have never stayed on Oauhu so never been to the Arizona Memorial. Fran's Mother's First Husband died there, so it will be quite an ordeal to go there. I think from the way that she talks about her mother, she cares for the husband she never met more than her father so this could be awkward, but I"m sure it will be poignant.

It will be very moving for you both, I am sure- especially when you find his name.

We will see! I am just so glad I was able to get it for 5 nights- funny, how they are all the same architect. He designed some beautiful hotels. LOVE 2 bathrooms in a 1bdrm- very helpful. I find it odd they didn't do it at Aulani when they have at Kidani, BLT & GCV...I guess they needed to cut back somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth D View Post

You have my deepest sympathies.

Sounds AMAZING!!! I AM IN!

Yea- I don't like the end ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
I don't know about Ellen, but I would the name of that restaurant!
Yea- we have family in Ohio! What is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Pearl Harbor is so fascinating.
My parents visited it a few years ago (while staying the Marriott next to Aulani being built.)
Your sunset pictures are just gorgeous. I would love to see something like that today!

Me too- it has been super windy and cold the past couple of days- better today, though.

I guess i should've dragged her along with us.

Yes you should have! It was Jedi freakin Jill!

I can help you both if you want colorful hair. I am a licensed cosmetologist!
I didn't know that! You do a wonderful job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I know you've posted this before but what villa number were you in? I keep going back and forth on my room request. We have an OV studio and I really want a great sunset view and can't figure out the best spot to get lots of sunset but less of the non aulani resorts due to the angled balconies.

Gorgeous shots (and now I want mac and cheese)
We were in 1058- it was in one of the buildings closest to the lobby that are slanted, before the wing goes out further. BIG balcony because of that, too. No non Aulani resorts.

HAHA on the mac and cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Ok, somehow I lost track of your TR when you left for Mexico and missed a lot of updates!

Well that's just fine!

Amazing how both you and Bill had such GPS issues on the island! I'm starting to wonder if I need to leave mine at home altogether!

Oh no- I would bring it, but smack it around once in a while for misbehaving (which it will). I think the GPS is pissed it has to work on vacation in Hawaii, so it's GIVIN IT to ya! Seriously, just back it up with directions from the valet and a map- maybe mapquest some places before you go. And if there's a tie breaker, do NOT believe a WORD that GPS says!

Pearl Harbor looked like it was totally worth the effort to get there, though.

Most definitely.

Your pictures of Aulani are beautiful! The sunset looked pretty amazing.

Thank you- Hawaii is great for both rainbows and sunsets!

It's especially exciting to me now since...our wait list for Aulani came through! So we will get to experience it after all. I can't announce it on my own TR yet because my wife will see it. She doesn't know yet, but I'm going to surprise her with it next month for her birthday.
You are a FABULOUS husband!! She is a lucky girl!! When are you going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
I hate to say it, but Aulani is becoming my favorite even though I love VGC. AKV comes in third.

The sunsets are amazing!
They are some beautiful and grand resorts, aren't they? Lucky us we get to experience them.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:07 AM   #640
Beth D
DIS Veteran

OK, for all you Italian lovers out there who ever make it to Sandusky to come to Cedar Point to ride the best roller coasters in the ENTIRE world...

Sortino's Italian Restaurant. We were there a couple weeks ago and my dad was raving about the anchovies on his antipasta (they added them - yuck), which were imported direct from Ih-taly.

It's tough to find, as the building is behind another building, and not on the main strip in town. But they come up on mapquest and all the search engines and smart phone direction finders. They also now have a website. It used to be called 800 Club, and was a "key card" club. This dates to back in the Prohibition days when many "clubs" existed in Sandusky to get around the booze laws. Just ring the buzzer at the door, and you're in. They're closed Sun & Mon though, so don't try it then.

Huge beer selection, and they're starting their own house wine soon, as well as another place with wood fired pizza.

Of course just PM me before you head up here, and I'll meet you there for a good time!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #641
podsnel

Tonight, we decided to have dinner at Makahiki. I was able to call down and get a reservation that night, which was nice. We did end up waiting quite a while for the table when we went down, though- 20 minutes or longer, I think.

Look! Aulani is haunted!

Which seemed like an eternity, because as usual, we were STARVING!!!

On the plus side, though, once we got in, we could start eating right away, since this was a buffet. A very, very nice buffet, by the way- lots of unusual choices- we really enjoyed it! Here is the myriad of delectables to try, from the website-

Makahiki Dinner Buffet Menu
MAKAHIKI – THE BOUNTY OF THE ISLANDS
DINNER BUFFET
Our casual dinner buffet offers fresh local products and
Chef-inspired dishes with world flavors.
STARTERS
Field Greens and Condiments with choice of Dressings,
Caesar Salad, Tomato and Mozzarella Salad, Marinated Vegetables,
Potato Salad, Asian Chicken Salad,
Broccoli and Shrimp Salad, Lomilomi Salmon,
Poi, Sushi, and Minestrone Soup
SELECTION OF SEASONAL SEAFOOD ON ICE
Snow Crab Legs, Shrimp, Poke,
Sashimi, and Oysters on the Half Shell
ENTRÉES
Grilled Chicken Breast with Tropical Salsa,
Barbecued Pork Spare Ribs, Miso Glazed Salmon, Pizza,
Beef Chow Fun Noodles, Island-style Fried Rice,
Spicy Shrimp and Pepper Penne, Fried Noodles,
Wok-fried Seasonal Vegetables, Assorted Tempura,
Beef Short Ribs, and Teriyaki Tofu
CARVING STATION
Prime Rib of Beef with Hawaiian Salt Crust
SEASONAL VEGETABLE SELECTION
Roasted Red Potatoes, Corn on the Cob, Baked Beans,
Roasted Island Sweet Potatoes with Macadamia Nut Butter,
Wok Fired Snow Peas, Sautéed Bok Choy,
and Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
DESSERTS
Chocolate Brownies, No Sugar Added Mango Cheesecake,
Seasonal Fruit Cobbler, Bread Pudding, Molten Chocolate Cake,
Freshly Baked Cookies, Rice Krispies Treats,
Macadamia Nut Caramel Tart, Coconut Cake, Tropical Cake,
and Fresh Fruit with fresh Whipped Cream
KEIKI CORNER
(FOR GUESTS AGES 9 AND UNDER)
Macaroni & Cheese, crispy Chicken Breast Strips,
Mashed Potatoes, and Steamed Vegetables
Adults 43.00 Keiki (Ages 9 and Under) 21.00
Hours of Operation: 5 – 9:30 p.m.
An 18% service charge is added for parties of 7 or more.
General excise tax of 4.71% will be added to all transactions.
Offerings change daily.

Yes, it was a very pricey buffet- but with all that sashimi and shellfish, I would guess it has to be pricey. The desserts-

There were also chocolate chip & sugar cookies. Make sure if you go to allot a good chunk of time to get your money's worth- we, however, could not do that, because Timmy and I were signed up for the 9pm "Imi Loa Na Hoku"- Adult Explore the Stars. There was a fee with this, although I can't recall how much it was (I want to guess $45?). I had asked, and Timmy at 13 was fine for attending the later adult one.

We were lucky, because it was a clear night, and we saw stars and planets galore- that telescope was AMAZING- we spent a lot of time looking at the moon, which was incredible with tons of detail. Both Tim & I enjoyed this activity (that no one else in my family wanted to do).

Always nice to spend time one-on-one with my boys!

Then it was back upstairs to pack it up, finish up that incredible Koloa rum,

...and take some pics around the resort before bed- next....

Old 02-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #642
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO envious!!! I want to go back- I have 3 visits under my belt, but I would love some more. I think it would make for an incredible couples getaway- golf and all those restaurants, not to mention how incredibly beautiful it is. I would love an early Oct trip there. I just wish there were cheaper flights to Savannah from NJ- the prices are CRAZEEEEEE!!!!! You are going with Denny this time, right? I hope he loves it-

Yes - Denny is going and we are going with one other couple. I can't wait. I loved it there so much. We will go tour Savannah again and hit Charleston on the way home. We are driving. Last time it took 11 hours. I want to be on the road by 6am. We are driving down on a Sunday morning which worked really well the last time. Can't wait.

Quote:

Yes, please say hi to Dottie- I haven't spoken to her in a long while- please tell her I miss her!

:
I definitely will.

Loved your last update, especially the ghost on the stairs.

The buffet looks amazing and star gazing sounds really fun, too. What a nice way to spend your last night.

Oh - and if I am posting in between updates I totally apologize.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #643
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
You are a FABULOUS husband!! She is a lucky girl!!
Yes, I know.

Um, I mean--thanks!

Quote:
When are you going?
We fly out in mid-June and don't come back till the 4th of July! But only 3 nights at Aulani.

Quote:
Look! Aulani is haunted!
Wait, nobody said anything about that!

Quote:
On the plus side, though, once we got in, we could start eating right away, since this was a buffet.
Buffet...one of my favorite words.

Quote:
we, however, could not do that, because Timmy and I were signed up for the 9pm "Imi Loa Na Hoku"- Adult Explore the Stars. There was a fee with this, although I can't recall how much it was (I want to guess $45?).
That does look pretty cool.
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #645
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Thanks for sharing the dinner buffet info it looks yummy. We did the breakfast, but didn't get around to the dinner one.

You all are looking so happy and tanned in your pics!

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: