Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #1
mikewdw
wdw coach

Resort recommendation...

we are thinking of cancelling Disney Cruise and going to WDW instead so we have a little more money in budget than for our normal trip. we have done POR last 3 or 4 trips and want something different. we are party of 5 (kids 9, 7, 7) and dont mind one bathroom or small rooms. looking for best new exciting place to stay onsite. any recommendations????? most deluxes for first couple of weeks of june are within a few hundred dollars so not a deal breaker. looking for best experience since this will be a "splurge trip" for us. planning 6 days 5 nights.
we have checked prices at all deluxes and AoA. any little extras like great pool or Dole Whip machine at Poly (WHICH I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT, WOW) could be the deciding factor.
thanks
mikewdw
'02 WL
CHRISTMAS '02 AS SPORTS
'03 BC
CHRISTMAS '04 POP CENTURY
'05 CBR
CHRISTMAS '06/NEW YEARS DAY '07 AS MUSIC
THANKSGIVING '07 AS MOVIES
CHRISTMAS '08 POP
CHRISTMAS '09 POR
'10 POR
'11 POR
'12 POR
'13 BC
mikewdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
meetmeatthepoly
Loving Walt Disney World Since 1972

We love to stay at the Polynesian- swimming in the volcano pool, with Cinderella Castle in the background, watching the Electrical Water Pageant and Wishes from the beach...and yes, Dole Whips from Captain Cook's! Being on the monorail line is great- getting to Magic Kingdom is very easy, and you can simply walk to the TTC to board a direct monorail to Epcot.

We also like to stay at the Beach Club because it has a wonderful pool too- Stormalong Bay. Walking to Epcot from there is very easy, and there is boat transportation to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios. There is also a walkway to Hollywood Studios, but we usually take the boat.

Both are great choices!
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

We've stayed at the Poly before. On our last trip, I figured we could save a few hundred dollars by trying the Beach Club.

And we adored it!!!!!

Stormalong Bay is amazing! My 3 kids are total water rats, and we all loved it!!!! My older daughter couldn't get over the fact that the POOL was so large it had its own MAP!!

Throw in the 2 minute walk to Epcot, and the boat ride to Hollywood Studios, and it's hard to beat the Beach Club. Plus, the resort is simply so gorgeous!

As I understand it, there's currently construction at the Poly, so that's something you may want to look into.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetmeatthepoly View Post
We love to stay at the Polynesian- swimming in the volcano pool, with Cinderella Castle in the background, watching the Electrical Water Pageant and Wishes from the beach...and yes, Dole Whips from Captain Cook's! Being on the monorail line is great- getting to Magic Kingdom is very easy, and you can simply walk to the TTC to board a direct monorail to Epcot.
This . We love everything about the Poly from the theme to the convenience. Plus the rooms at the Poly are some of the largest among the deluxe resorts and all rooms come with a daybed. We have loved all of the resorts we've stayed at, but the Poly is our favorite .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

My kids LOVE the Poly, and they are about the same ages as yours- 10 and 7. We are booked for BLT in Sept, but very well may change it to Poly b/c our kids want to go back to Poly!
But for me, my favorite is GF. It is not snooty at all and people walk around all the time in "park attire".
The customer service is what I love about it. Upon arrival, we were greeted at the door and the CM had our check in info with him. One day we were returning from the parks and it began to rain. There were CMs waiting at the lobby with towels. Amazing!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
mikewdw
wdw coach

narrowed it to Poly vs. BC/YC
any ideas as to how to decide, we know we will love either but trying to pick is hard!
'02 WL
CHRISTMAS '02 AS SPORTS
'03 BC
CHRISTMAS '04 POP CENTURY
'05 CBR
CHRISTMAS '06/NEW YEARS DAY '07 AS MUSIC
THANKSGIVING '07 AS MOVIES
CHRISTMAS '08 POP
CHRISTMAS '09 POR
'10 POR
'11 POR
'12 POR
'13 BC
mikewdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewdw View Post
narrowed it to Poly vs. BC/YC
any ideas as to how to decide, we know we will love either but trying to pick is hard!
My choice would be the Poly without hesitation. The rooms are larger and more spacious, all rooms come with a daybed, the pool is awesome with a view of the castle in the distance, and the beach is great for relaxing in a hammock watching the fireworks. Plus Captain Cooks is great for quick CS meals/snacks. We did enjoy our stay at the BC, but we love the theme and atmosphere of Poly more.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Since I can only speak from exp with Poly, Im gonna lobby hard for it!
Monorail, walk to TTC, amazing restaurants on site, Spirit of Aloha show on site, watch Wishes from the beach (or even from the balcony of your room!), incredible theming!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: