Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
cinderwannabe
Mouseketeer

Disney Store Times Square

The first floor is closed up and being renovated. Anyone know what's going on? The CM said it will be reopened in 2-3 months!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderwannabe View Post
The first floor is closed up and being renovated. Anyone know what's going on? The CM said it will be reopened in 2-3 months!!!
I'm a CM there and I'm not really sure what is going on haha. They never tell us much we just know it is closed and being renovated. The only thing that I know is there were talks of us finally getting a downstairs stock room.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
cinderwannabe
Mouseketeer

Oh. I hope that's not IT!!!! The cm I spoke to told me to make sure I came back May or June bc they were going to have something special just for me! Loved him!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderwannabe
Oh. I hope that's not IT!!!! The cm I spoke to told me to make sure I came back May or June bc they were going to have something special just for me! Loved him!!!
Oh that wouldn't be it I was just saying everything outside the new stock room is a secret.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
MouseyMin
DIS Veteran

I hope they add some of the things that they used to have in the Fifth Avenue Store. I was not overly impressed with the new store.
MouseyMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseyMin
I hope they add some of the things that they used to have in the Fifth Avenue Store. I was not overly impressed with the new store.
I wouldn't expect that. 5th Avenue was a World of Disney so it was a park operated store just not at the parks. When they moved to Broadway, Disney Store took over so they want this store to have that Disney Store look and feel not the park feel that the 5th Avenue store had.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
I wouldn't expect that. 5th Avenue was a World of Disney so it was a park operated store just not at the parks. When they moved to Broadway, Disney Store took over so they want this store to have that Disney Store look and feel not the park feel that the 5th Avenue store had.
I miss the old WoD store! In my opinion that one was WAY COOLER! For being in NYC, the Disney Store one isn't any different from the ones around me.

WL February 2017 for DS high school band trip * WL 2013*ASMo 2011/2010/2006*FW 2007*SoG 2000*Off Site 1998
hebbynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

A CM told me about the changes. The escalators were replaced. The other changes were so insignificant, at least to me, that I don't remember what they were. I think it was basically changes as to what would be on each floor.

PP are correct. When Disney sold the Disney Stores Disney retained the 5th Avenue location. It was part of the theme park division, basically a World of Disney. That was closed after Disney took back Disney Stores. Merchandise from the 5th avenue store was shipped to Orlando instead of a clearance sale. Christmas merchandise and some NYC specific merchandise were the only items deeply discounted at the time the store was closed.

The current store isn't dramatically different then mall stores, excluding some NYC specific merchandise. I don't think that will change.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc
A CM told me about the changes. The escalators were replaced. The other changes were so insignificant, at least to me, that I don't remember what they were. I think it was basically changes as to what would be on each floor.

PP are correct. When Disney sold the Disney Stores Disney retained the 5th Avenue location. It was part of the theme park division, basically a World of Disney. That was closed after Disney took back Disney Stores. Merchandise from the 5th avenue store was shipped to Orlando instead of a clearance sale. Christmas merchandise and some NYC specific merchandise were the only items deeply discounted at the time the store was closed.

The current store isn't dramatically different then mall stores, excluding some NYC specific merchandise. I don't think that will change.
We haven't finished the remodel so you wouldn't have seen it yet. Our 2nd floor was closed for two weeks but that was just to put up the walls to block 1st floor construction. Nothing else was done.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
MPLsDad
DIS Veteran

This store is no different than Anytown, USA's regular mall Disney Store. It's pretty disappointing since it is located in Times Square. It SHOULD be a destination. The World of Disney store in Downtown Disney is more exciting. The castmembers in NYC are very nice however!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
Captain Hook Wannabe
Mouseketeer

Can you pin trade at the NYC store? My kids are really into now, and it might be worth a trip in to do some trading.
Captain Hook Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook Wannabe
Can you pin trade at the NYC store? My kids are really into now, and it might be worth a trip in to do some trading.
Unfortunately no. Pin trading is parks only. We do have Vynlmation trading though.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

As a former Disney Store CM (and part of my store's management team) we were always the very last to know about anything going on. As odd as it sounds it was true, many guests knew about park pass increases, and other things before we did. If I had to guess, I would think it is the newish "imagination park" design, there have been stores around the country that have undergone this renovation.
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: