Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #226
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
With all those days at sea, you should try the afternoon tea, too!
I thought I read that they've stopped doing them. That would be on the list for sure.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #227
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
I thought I read that they've stopped doing them. That would be on the list for sure.
Oh, what a bummer! Well, then brunch and dinner twice each!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 33/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #228
Pinkocto

Day 3, Nassau Day:

Mom had been exploring and enjoying the ‘secret’ verandah early in the morning. I woke up to what I thought was 8:30 and we headed down to Tritons for breakfast around 9:20. Given that Tritons closes at 9:30 I knew we were pushing it, but the morning before we saw people walking in around 9:45 so I didn’t think we’d have a problem. Well nobody would even look at us and it looked like they were closing up shop and getting ready for lunch. We were both very confused. We ended up heading over to Parrot Cay and enjoyed the buffet.

My plate: pre-made cheese omelet, hash brown, fruit, and some scrambled eggs underneath. Surprisingly the pre-made omelet was very delicious. Well everything was delicious.

Mom’s plate: cinnamon roll, Krispy Kreme, fruit, yogurt/granola.

Chocolate croissant and Krispy Kreme

At this point someone came around and asked us to please go get more from the buffet if we wanted because they were closing it down in the next few minutes. I thought that was odd since they close at 10:30 but I went up and got some more food.

A bagel,

And some more pastries

I looked at the clock and saw that it was 11:00 already. WHAT! We went down to Tritons at 9:20; it couldn’t be an hour and forty minutes later…. We needed to be at Diamonds International for the raffle! We quickly ate the rest of what we wanted and went up to the stateroom to grab our passports. Well as it happens the clock in the room was an hour off! So when we thought we went down to Tritons at 9:20 it was actually 10:20. Oh my. We raced off the ship and I did not take my camera so no pictures on Nassau.

Let me just say we were not impressed with the port. You’d think Nassau officials would make it a gorgeous place since so many ships stop there, but it was very run down and not pretty. As quickly as possible we made our way to Diamonds International thanks to the very helpful map Maxine had given us the day before. We found Maxine and she told us what to do to enter the raffle and then mom wanted to look at jewels. Why not, we were surrounded by gorgeous jewelry and they let us try on anything we wanted. She started looking at diamonds, specifically a new cut called the crown of light. Absolutely gorgeous. I have never seen such a sparkly piece of beauty in my life. She had me try on some earrings but when the saleswoman said they cost $9000 I immediately took them off. I was nervous being around such expensive things. Mom found a pendant that she was taken with and the saleswoman told her to keep it on as she looked around. At some point mom told me she wanted to find me something special. I was floored, and definitely not expecting it. Believe it or not I was more drawn to the tanzanite than the diamonds. I really like colors and they had some gorgeous loose stones that I liked. I ended up picking one that they were going to put in a setting for me. Well then of course I had to have matching earrings. Oh really? So said mom and Maxine. Maxine was with us the entire time and got us the best prices on everything. We never would have purchased anything if Maxine hadn’t been there with us. Disney hired her and we trusted her. Oh, because we bought the earrings from a specific collection we got a free tanzanite necklace. The exact same necklace mom would have gotten that first day at the DVC presentation. Maxine was going to pick up our purchases and bring them to the ship at the end of the day. We could pick them up between 7:30-8:30 that night. Of course we didn’t win the raffle we had gone there for.

With a skip in my step and a bit of disbelief of what had just happened we went out to see a few more shops we were interested in from the shopping seminar. We just did some window shopping and enjoyed Nassau. I eventually started to get hungry/thirsty and wanted to be back on my safe and beautiful and clean ship. We had one last stop to make, the Tortuga Rum cake shop. I had a few birthdays to buy for and thought some rum cakes would be absolutely perfect. However, the straw market was in-between us and the rum cake shop. Hmmm. I wanted to totally go around it because I had heard dreadful things and I did not want to go in. Unfortunately mom did so we went. And it was as dreadful as I had heard. Everyone had the same merchandise and were all as pushy as the next. I do not like bartering and they all wanted to barter and make me feel sorry for them. I had to drag mom out of there. There was some live music being played and she wanted to dance. I was finally successful and we escaped. We made our way to Tortuga Rums and found some fabulous rum cakes and BBQ sauce for people.

At that point we headed back to the Wonder. Later I realized we forgot to get our passports stamped which I was completely mad at myself for. We headed up to the stateroom to drop off our purchases and headed up to get some drinks and food.

We got some pizza. I prefer the pizza on the Dream.

And each of us got a plate of fries. They were magnificent fries.

While we were eating Daisy came out! I jumped out of my seat and she took a picture with me.

I was on cloud nine, she was so nice.

I think we headed off to the Cove Café to grab some sweet treats.

This was some kind of pineapple tart, very tasty.

Mom got a blondie again which she enjoyed just as much as yesterday.

The café is really pretty.

You can see the sweet treat case on the right.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Old 02-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #229
Pinkocto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
What a dream trip! Sounds so amazing! Are you planning on meeting up with fellow DISers? I'll imagine you'll be making some friends, seeing as it's 14 days. Is your mom going too?
The thread is already 35 pages long and gold/platinum were only able to book on Wednesday. There are at least a hundred DISers already going. Its a little overwhelming actually. They're planning tons of things; scrapbooking, FE's, secret Mickey, pub crawls, all kinds of tastings, group Palo meals, and lots more. I don't think I'd get a moment of relaxing in if I did all the things they're planning to do. A lot of them have cruised together before.

I definitely invited mom to come along. Hopefully her work and DBF can live without her for 2 1/2 weeks. I'll go alone if she can't come, but I'm hoping everything works out.

I'm so excited!!!

Old 02-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #230
Pinkocto

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
Oh, what a bummer! Well, then brunch and dinner twice each!
Now that's an excellent idea!

Old 02-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #231
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

That's how we ended up buying all that Tanzanite Jewelry, Maxine was there when we arrived and she let them know we were on the cruise and to give us the "special pricing". We also got free Tanzanite necklaces. I wasn't impressed with Nassau either. In my cruises I'm considering, I'm trying to find a short one that doesn't stop there. Not easy.
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #232
Pinkocto

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
That's how we ended up buying all that Tanzanite Jewelry, Maxine was there when we arrived and she let them know we were on the cruise and to give us the "special pricing". We also got free Tanzanite necklaces. I wasn't impressed with Nassau either. In my cruises I'm considering, I'm trying to find a short one that doesn't stop there. Not easy.
I'm pretty sure all the Bahamian itineraries stop at Nassau. You can always treat Nassau day as a 'sea day'. There are some short Caribbean itineraries from Miami and Galveston but I know you're wanting to combine a WDW trip so that probably wouldn't work.

If we hadn't gone to the shopping seminar I'd have no idea to even ask for a price less than on the sticker. I'm used to someone telling me how much something costs and me paying. Really and truly if Maxine hadn't been there we wouldn't have bought anything.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #233
MEK
DIS Veteran

Well, woo hoo for some impromptu shopping and thank goodness for Maxine. You should take a picture of your jewelry. I have to admit I am a sucker for that.

Too funny about your clock being set on the wrong time. How did that happen? Do you cross a time zone? I wouldn't think so, but you never know.

Sorry you weren't able to take pictures in Nassau, but it definitely sounds like a fun shopping trip.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #234
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the update! Waited all evening 'til the kids were in bed to enjoy it!
I think I might go back to page 1 and read it all again now! We're in the middle of a horrid high-wind snow storm and i'm even more excited for some warm weather!
Is the Cove Cafe different on the Wonder than the Dream? I loved the coffee and snacks, but on the Dream I was a little disappointed with how small the cafe was. Your pictures make it look bigger and I wondered if maybe it was?

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #235
Pinkocto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Well, woo hoo for some impromptu shopping and thank goodness for Maxine. You should take a picture of your jewelry. I have to admit I am a sucker for that.

Too funny about your clock being set on the wrong time. How did that happen? Do you cross a time zone? I wouldn't think so, but you never know.

Sorry you weren't able to take pictures in Nassau, but it definitely sounds like a fun shopping trip.
Believe me, I wish I took a picture. The tanzanite story is not over yet. I almost didn't go with the flow. Mom had to say 'I want to buy you something nice, just let me'. I always pay for all the trips so I don't know why I was reluctant.

That was my first thought, did we go over a time zone and they didn't tell us? We hadn't, it was bizarre. I couldn't fix the clock so just turned it to the wall so I wouldn't be confused again. Our stateroom host fixed it by the time we came back.

The prices were fantastic and I would definitely get off at Nassau again if I specifically wanted to buy some jewelry.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #236
Pinkocto

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls View Post
Thanks for the update! Waited all evening 'til the kids were in bed to enjoy it!
I think I might go back to page 1 and read it all again now! We're in the middle of a horrid high-wind snow storm and i'm even more excited for some warm weather!
Is the Cove Cafe different on the Wonder than the Dream? I loved the coffee and snacks, but on the Dream I was a little disappointed with how small the cafe was. Your pictures make it look bigger and I wondered if maybe it was?
12 day dance!!! you'll be out of that cold weather soon!

It's a little different of a lay out. Im trying to visualize both and I think its probably twice the size on the Wonder. There were also stairs leading up which we never explored, it appeared that there was also a second seating area above.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #237
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

I was hoping you would get an installment done today I'm in total agreement with you about the port at Nassau...not much to look at. At least you had some luck with the shopping. The first time we visited Nassau I wasn't overly impressed. That is probably why we didn't get off the ship in June. However we did enjoy going over to the Atlantis and looking around.

Funny that yall's clock was an hour off!! That cracks me up. At least you were able to get some extra rest. When you're on vacation, time is NOT priority

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL x 2 - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL - POP
hstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #238
iHeartDisneyXo
Earning My Ears

Hello all I'm a newbie joining you all for this awesome trip report! I'll be sailing out of Miami on the Wonder in just less than two weeks, so I was very excited to run across such an elaborate report!

It's been about three years since I've sailed on the Wonder, so this is stirring up memories and inspiring me to document my future trip better! Thank you!!

WDW Premium Annual Passholder since '07

DCL Wonder Bahamian [11.22.09, 05.16.10]
DCL Wonder 5-night W.Caribbean [03.02.13]
DCL Magic 5-night Castaway Cay Double Dip [10.20.13 - canceled]
DCL Magic 5-night W.Caribbean [11.10.13]
DCL Dream 4-night Castaway Cay Double Dip [10.23.14]

iHeartDisneyXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #239
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Will you be posting a picture of your purchases from the jewelry store?!

I'm so with you on Nassau. I wanted to get out and see the place to say I was there, but really, I couldn't wait to get on the boat. The thing that annoyed me the most were the hair-braiding people. If you even had an inch of hair, they wanted to braid it. I remember just keeping a towel on my head and not removing it so they wouldn't ask me

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #240
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
The thread is already 35 pages long and gold/platinum were only able to book on Wednesday. There are at least a hundred DISers already going. Its a little overwhelming actually. They're planning tons of things; scrapbooking, FE's, secret Mickey, pub crawls, all kinds of tastings, group Palo meals, and lots more. I don't think I'd get a moment of relaxing in if I did all the things they're planning to do. A lot of them have cruised together before.

I definitely invited mom to come along. Hopefully her work and DBF can live without her for 2 1/2 weeks. I'll go alone if she can't come, but I'm hoping everything works out.

I'm so excited!!!
Are you kidding me?! The thread is that long and you still have 1 1/2 years left?! Crazy, yet amazing!

I think that is so cool that they are putting together different things to do. Are you planning on participating in any of them?

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: