Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
alebisi
DIS Veteran

Hard Rock Hotel or Royal Pacific?

Hello US and IoA lovers!
Last year I went with my boyfriend to both parks and also to attend Halloween Horror nights, we are in love now!! Last year we stayed only at Pop century (WDW property) so in 2014 (we are returning for HHN in September!!) we went to stay the first 3 nights of our trip at US and IoA property.
I thought Hard Rock would be my choice but I saw pictures of Royal Pacific and now we are torned! What would you suggest? We love that everything is near here (Citywalk and both parks) as we like to rest in the afternoons and having express passes makes it so mucho relaxed and enjoyable.
We are a couple of twenty-something years old!
What do YOU suggest?
Thanks!!

alebisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

We just recently stayed at HR and probably won't be back. If there's an event, big portions of what you feel to be public space might be blocked off, like what happened last Sun to Tues for us. The room wasn't great. The shampoo is different than the Lather brand at RPR and PBH (unless they have all changed since last year). It just felt like it was trying SO hard to be cool that it just felt silly instead. We will limit ourselves to RPR and PBH in the future.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
dreamscometrue47
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the HRH (mom who is 57, daughter 23 and son 19) this past January. We LOVED it. I was a little worried (thinking omg LOUD ROCK) but it's not like that at all. The atmosphere was perfect, the hotel people were THE best (we do travel a bit) and I would go back there in an heart beat. BUT, I do hear wonderful things about Royal Pacific... These decisions are so hard to make.
dreamscometrue47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

No bad choice here!
We've stayed at both and have a hard time deciding too.
The two biggest factors for us are:
1) Hard Rock usually allows us to get into the parks-especially Universal Studios-much faster.
2) Royal Pacific is generally quieter and offers a more relaxed atmosphere.
These are our opinions...(every family member feels exactly the same way).

Oh yeah...RPR is usually a little bit less expensive, based on availability of course.

Last edited by buckeev; 02-17-2013 at 09:25 PM.
buckeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
We just recently stayed at HR and probably won't be back. If there's an event, big portions of what you feel to be public space might be blocked off, like what happened last Sun to Tues for us. The room wasn't great. The shampoo is different than the Lather brand at RPR and PBH (unless they have all changed since last year). It just felt like it was trying SO hard to be cool that it just felt silly instead. We will limit ourselves to RPR and PBH in the future.
I agree with this. We stayed at Hard Rock last month for the first time. None of us liked it. We didn't like the room, we didn't like the housekeeping/cleanliness, and everything else was just average. We have stayed at RPR once and enjoyed it, but we feel spoiled at PBH and will be there again next time.
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
schumigirl
I`ve bought one of those for this year....it`s in fuscia pink though......You`ll be able to see me from the air
It`s a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts

Oh you`ll have a great trip regardless where you stay.

In saying that I would always choose RPR.

It is so beautiful and very welcoming. As you say being so close to the parks is perfect. It takes us less than 10 minutes to reach Margaritaville when we walk, a moment more takes you to entrance to IOA.....very close. Not much further and you are in Studios.

We love being able to wander back to the hotel in the afternoon for pool time or just chilling out. Plenty of places to do that there.

Staff are among the best we have ever come across anywhere. We are always welcomed like family there, so friendly and helpful.

We like this resort as it`s lively without being rowdy. The atmosphere around the pool is a lot of fun....for all ages.

Food choices at RPR are all excellent. Jake`s Bar and The Bula Pool Bar are firm favourites of ours. Breakfast at the Islands is wonderful but we usually eat in Orchids for breakfast. Good choice of serve yourself items like croissants, mufffins, cereals, toast, fruit, pastries and more. Very good value for money too.

Having EP does make it a very relaxing trip too. Have fun choosing

SEPT 2007 2 WEEKS BUENA VISTA PALACE & HHN
SEPT 2008 2 WEEKS POFQ &HHN
AUG 2009 2 WEEKS RPR
OCT 2010 2 WEEKS RPR & HHN
AUG 2011 2 WEEKS RPR
JULY 2012 17 NIGHTS RPR
APRIL 2013 WEEK IN NEW YORK
SEPT 2013...17 NIGHTS RPR &HHN
MAY 2014.....2 WEEKS IN NEW YORK
SEPTEMBER 2014....18 NIGHTS RPR & HHN
SEPTEMBER/OCT 2015 18 NIGHTS RPR & HHN
schumigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
ky07
Proud Redhead
Earning My Globe •o•
Yeah and we all are trying to get together

While we have stayed at RPR but never stayed at HRH it just doesn't seem to be our type of hotel
We love the RPR for the relaxed feel and the staff there is awesome and not to mention the grounds and theming of the hotel is great and with either choice you won't be disappointed
Old 02-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

Well I'm a musician, have played in rock bands since I was a little kid and I prefer the Royal Pacific. For me Hard Rock is OK and all, but just really pretty sterile IMO, kind of almost hospital ish. Its a good hotel, but I just don't really like the theme, or lack there of. The RP for me is so plush, love the tropical theme, you really feel like you are at a resort on a pacific island. I really love that aspect of it. THe rooms are not super duper plush, nice, but nothing too spectacular, its really the resort itself and the theming that is the draw there.

As another option, the Portofino is also great. All things equal ($) I would probably stay in the Portofino more, its super elegant and I actually prefer the pool there (eventhough you can pool hop, and eventhough the RP pool is very nice) I just prefer having the waterfalls at the pools and the Portofino is the only one that has waterfalls. But I would still probably spend more time at the RP just because overall I do like the tropical theme the best. But for me Portofino and RP are roughly equal, eventhough Portofino is quite a bit more $$
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
rusty4
DIS Veteran

I think that people in their 20's would love Hard Rock. At least that was our impression when we visited the pool this past weekend. We have kids that are mid 20's and then a 9 year old. We felt that our older 2 boys would probably like the "party vibe" there while we really didn't care for it. The hot tub was full of guys with buckets of beer in the middle of the afternoon. I can see where groups would have a blast or the younger adult crowd would as well.

Our son liked the pool slide and the fact that the music could be heard under the water. But he really preferred the RPR pool overall. Portifino pool looked very cool. But it was not active at all. It was even colder by the time we got over there so no one was there but the lifeguards so it was harder to judge.

We had a standard room and I wish I took a photo of the view but I didn't. The palm trees were right outside of our room. We faced the front entrance of the resort. You could see the entrance bridge if you looked sideways. But if you were looking straight out all you saw were the trees blowing with the breeze. Very nice for standard view.

RPR has alot of pool activities going. The torch lighting ceremony at night with the hula dancer and fire dancer you would probably enjoy.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #10
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at HRH twice and absolutely loved it. I just switched to RPR because I felt like I wanted to try something new and it is a little cheaper. I don't have a bad thing to say about HRH. Check out trip advisor the reviews for HRH are much more favorable than RPR or Portofino.
Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
alebisi
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for your advice!! I'm still undecided they BOTH seem great!

Old 09-23-2013, 12:34 AM   #12
jlp879
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebisi View Post
Thank you all for your advice!! I'm still undecided they BOTH seem great!
Do you know what that means? That you will just have to take 2 trips -- stay at each property and tell all of us which one works best for you!!!

Seriously, there are pros and cons to each, but both sound like they would be just fine!

(For your age, my gut reaction would be to go for Hard Rock.)
jlp879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #13
alebisi
DIS Veteran

Lol that's a good idea! Ha ha
I still haven't decided, I have one year exactly to decide.
Hard Rock seems a cool hotel specially for younger people, we are from Italy so staying at a Hard Rock hotel seems something out of this world.
I must say though that Royal Pacific looks really really nice.
Another thing I liked about HR is that you can literally walk to the parks, it's so near!!
As soon as I decide I'll tell you all about it!

Old 09-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
chs27
Mouseketeer

It's a short walk from Royal Pacific too.
chs27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: