Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #31
Foxxie52
Mouseketeer

I had a guest ask what time the rain would stop. I told him 3.30pm and weirdly enough, it did.

Me(30), DH(38), Jessica, Sunrise, Sunset
October 1995, June 1999, October 2001, Disney Cruise Line Cast Member (2006-2008), CM - Rose and Crown (2008-2009), Babymoon April 2013, next planned trip? 2021!
Foxxie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #32
SDFgirl
Weekend spelunker
Cutting up foods makes me happy
Shared a flight with Carol Brady
Warning! If I don't know you I might bum a ride to get a haircut!

My co-worker told me that if you tell Guest Relations that your child has ADHD, you get a special pass to go to the front of ANY ride.

"You don't even have to have a doctor's note! They just take your word for it!"

Uh-huh. Sure.

May 2005 POR - First trip as a couple
September 2008 POR - Found out we were expecting our middle DD on the last day
September 2009 BCV - Grand Gathering!
April 2010 FW - Tent Camping!
Next trip, February 2013 - Surprise for our 3 kids!
SDFgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #33
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFgirl View Post
My co-worker told me that if you tell Guest Relations that your child has ADHD, you get a special pass to go to the front of ANY ride.

"You don't even have to have a doctor's note! They just take your word for it!"

Uh-huh. Sure.
Not really. GACs do not give front of the line access. You do not need a doctors note is true but you need to be able to explain what your child's needs are because they are given for specific needs and not by diagnosis

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #34
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaughlinS View Post

5. Someone asked if Small World goes upside down.
And you told them the truth, right? No, but when you get off that boat your brain will think it's been doing continuous inverts and corkscrews for the last 10 minutes

I've had odd things said to me or in front of me at Disney World, although not in planning the trip. Some that spring to mind as most memorable are:
  1. On the monorail doing the loop around Epcot and the little boy opposit us made the common comment "Wow, look at that giant golf ball!" He was young enough that this wasn't funny in itself. But Mom was brilliant. She had all the answers and quickly set him straight with all the necessary information: This park has a golf theme because of all the golf courses in Florida .......
  2. A CM outside TT well into pm EMH: I asked whether the posted wait time (it was around 45 minutes which didn't look right given the quietness of the park that night). She responded with absolute conviction: "Oh yes ma'am. This is the most popular ride in the whole of Disneyland" Hmmm, my flight said Orlando when we left home .....
  3. A lady waiting outside for a bus at our resort asked me if I had noticed the windows decorated with toys and names and asked if the people in those rooms lived there as permanent residents
  4. Two ladies having boarded a bus to DHS at POR asked the driver loudly if this was the bus to Disney World. He quickly realized what they must have meant and explained that it was not going to MK, but to DHS. They had a near hissy fit because he wouldn't stop the bus on the side of the road to let them get out!
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #35
DCbride
DIS Veteran

A friend who went for the first time 2 weeks ago asked me how much change to pack and if the drivers accept dollars for the Disney bus system

Disney Trips with the kids 1993 Poly 1995 BC 1996 Dixie Landings 1998 BC 2001 SoG 2004 SoG 2006 Dolphin 2008 Magic Villa 3, Mickey's Clubhouse 2009 CSR in March, April, Aug. Sept & Nov 2010 CSR, WL & WL CL, SoG 2011 SoG, CSR, SoG, Mariott, Kidani 2012 Marriott, BC, WLV/AoA 2013 Marriott, AoA, AoA 2014 Pop, Omni, BC, Bay Lake
DCbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #36
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

My MIL asked me last trip if there were any stores or places to buy souvenirs at the parks! She had no idea what she was in for.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #37
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

I run into stupidity too often and I am not even at Disney. For example, I stopped by the grocery store on my way home from work in my military uniform. It is not unusual for people to stop and say thank you. I heard a female voice yelling behind me "excuse me, excuse me" so I turn around. The lady then said out-of-breath from running, "Where did you get that outfit?" I replied I was in the military. She then said, "oh my daughter wants one of those outfits, do you know where I can buy one?"

Stationed overseas in South Korea coming home on vacation I found out a relative thought my photo in front of a mural of a street from like the 1930's was a real street (in black and white, while I was in color) and that is how Korea looks today. She was shocked to learn it is very modern and Westernized. Sometimes when I told people I was stationed in Korea they would ask "North or South?" Well, at least I should give them credit for knowing there are two.

My son is in 5th grade. He was having a conversation with a girl who he says is the smartest kid in his grade (well I would say my son is the smartest). My husband is 100% Mexican decent. My son was born on an Army base in South Korea when my husband and I were both stationed there together (thus we are both American citizens). So when the girl heard him say he was born in South Korea her reply was, "So, you're like Chinese?" My son doesn't look Chinese. He does look hispanic.

Just a few. I actually probably have too many to speak of.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #38
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicaca View Post
I used to think that WHEN I WAS A SMALL CHILD I had seen the Epcot ball being built on my first trip, and for a long time thought that was all there was there. I imagined all of the countries and restaurants inside that giant ball. Not until that glorious invention called the internet did I realize I was quite mistaken...Amazing what a little research can do for ignorance... :
And here I thought I was the only one silly one! I thought all of Epcot was in the giant ball too. And I had also heard that Epcot had different areas representing different countires. So I always imagined the giant ball filled with booths (like at the fair) where you get information on the country.

In my defense: growing up on the west coast, when they showed ads for Disney World they always showed the giant ball- nothing else. I'm embarressed to say how old I was before I realized it wasn't like that though.

Last summer DH and I were in Disneyland at the end of Main Street. A middle aged man was walking in to Tomorrowland when his mother stopped and said, "I thought we were going to Disneyland." He then had a hard time convincing her she was actually in Disneyland. I don't know where she thought she was when she went through the turnstyles.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #39
k5thbeatle
DIS Veteran

I once heard someone say they thought the roller coaster ride "Space Mountain" was actually located inside "Spaceship Earth" in Epcot. I guess I can sort of understand this one as they both have "space" in their names?

k5thbeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #40
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

This thread had me laughing so hard! Thanks everyone!

I can't tell you how many times I've heard other guests at Disney make comments based on the assumption that Fast Passes are not free. Once a lady asked me how much I had to pay for the four FPs I was holding for Soarin. Another time as we were walking through a FP line I heard a man mumble disparagingly "Must be nice to have money".

Another common comment/grumbling I hear is while waiting for the Celebrate a Dream Come True in Frontierland. Around 3:05pm, there's always a person complaining to the CMs how the parade is late since it was suppose to start at 3pm and there's not a float in sight.

Everyone Hail To the Pumpkin Song! October 2014: TR PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #41
SpacePlace
Mouseketeer

In December we were in DL and there was a Christmas choir at the Main Street train station. They were standing so still while they were singing. I know that people ask really dumb questions to the CMs. I was really bored waiting for my party and so I asked a CM "are those animatronics?" The CM very seriously just said "no". I thought it was a funny question to ask, thought it might crack a smile. But I don't think he found it amusing at all.
SpacePlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #42
bridgetz03
Earning My Ears

I always loved checking in families who were staying for their first time at Disney. Some of my favorite lines or questions I would always get asked when I would explain their vacation packages and tickets were:

Me: "So you have a 5 day park tickets that you can use at any of the parks."
Guest: "So that means that we can go to Disney World, Epcot, and Universal Studios, right?"

An abundance of people always associate MK as Disney World, and I would always have to explain it that, and that Universal is NOT Disney!

Oh, and another favorite to overhear in the parks..."Are those real ducks or are they animatronic?

Poly Feb 2013 Poly Feb 2012 WL Apr 2010 Poly Apr 2009 POFQ Jan 2009
ASR's 2006/2007 Poly Apr 2004 GF Apr 2002

WDWCP Pop Resort Hospitality 2009
WDWCP ASR Hospitality 2006
bridgetz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #43
VACamm
DIS Veteran

My 9 yr old son asked if Spaceship Earth went upside down inside... Haha
Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #44
redsonja76
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=4kids4karen;47534990]I run into stupidity too often and I am not even at Disney. For example, I stopped by the grocery store on my way home from work in my military uniform. It is not unusual for people to stop and say thank you. I heard a female voice yelling behind me "excuse me, excuse me" so I turn around. The lady then said out-of-breath from running, "Where did you get that outfit?" I replied I was in the military. She then said, "oh my daughter wants one of those outfits, do you know where I can buy one?"

Did you say "uh, she can join the military!"

Stationed overseas in South Korea coming home on vacation I found out a relative thought my photo in front of a mural of a street from like the 1930's was a real street (in black and white, while I was in color) and that is how Korea looks today. She was shocked to learn it is very modern and Westernized. Sometimes when I told people I was stationed in Korea they would ask "North or South?" Well, at least I should give them credit for knowing there are two.

My youngest daughter is adopted from S. Korea (dh and I are both caucasian). I get the "oh is she from North or South?" a lot. I'm like "Um, South, pretty sure they don't let ANYONE leave North". I also get a lot of these in hushed whispers "does she know she's adoption?".

QUOTE]

Oy, some people.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #45
claryche
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRegulars View Post
My MIL asked me last trip if there were any stores or places to buy souvenirs at the parks! She had no idea what she was in for.
This whole thread has me laughing, but I think this one made me laugh the most.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: