Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #31
going/again
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
Doubtful, unless room rates and DVC dues increase to cover the transportation subsidy that is part of multi-day park tickets, since multi day tickets include the use of WDW transportation system. Especially with the ever increasing cost of fuel.

Remember, they discontinued the requirement to show resort ID to use the resort bus system in the early 1990s.
DVC members already pay dues for transportation, why should they pay more for none resort guests ?
going/again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #32
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by going/again

DVC members already pay dues for transportation, why should they pay more for none resort guests ?
Thank you for bringing this up. Far too often I'm trying to bus back from DTD to Beach Club and I have to wait two or three cycles to get on since so many people hitch along to get to Epcot or wherever they're going. Clogs it up real nice.

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #33
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Adding a parking garage may make it easier for Disney to justify charging for parking. Charge for parking would probably be waived for resort guests and maybe customers who meet minimum purchase requirements.

At one time the rumor was Disney wanted to build garages in DTD similar to Universal. A second TTC. Offsite guests would park and walk through at least part of DTD before they would board buses, maybe even some kind of rail, to a theme park.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #34
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

The Downtown Disney parking lots at the Disneyland Resort (California) are gated. The lots provide 3 hours of free parking without validation or 5 hours of free parking with a table service meal at one of the Downtown Disney restaurants. Beyond these free limits, there's a rather steep parking charge.

That means guests can enjoy dinner, a movie, and shopping at Downtown Disney with free parking. But guests who try to use a Downtown Disney parking lot for a theme park day will pay dearly.

It's a pricing model that would also work at Walt Disney World's Downtown Disney.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #35
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by going/again View Post
Yes, we pay dues for transportation, just as every other cash resort pays into the system. But multi-day ticket guests and annual passholders also pay into the system. A portion of the ticket price is also paid into the overall transportation system. Lose that subsidy by denying them use, and the difference will be made up somewhere, through increased cash room rates and increased transportation contract costs with DVC, increasing our dues. Or cutting back on the resort bus services. Cost to provide the transportation will not go down, it cost the same to run x number of buses, full or empty.

Think of it this way, a DVC Member may drive to WDW, and drive to every park, never using the bus system...but we still pay dues. If they refunded dues to members that drive to the parks, where would the cost be made up? Through increasing everyone else's dues.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992

Last edited by Chuck S; 02-17-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #36
WizardLarz
DIS Veteran

DTD changes?

I hope that Any changes/additions include bringing back the Adventures Club! I Demand that this is a must, Someplace that is a Fun, Adults Only, is very much needed throughout WDW.

'88 Off Site -only two parks '00 Off Site '08 Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (Yes,I realy used a tent!) '09 Pop Century
'10 Boardwalk Villas SWW '11 Pop F&W '11 Pop Century Mars Preview '12 Pop Century(hey it's cheap) SWW '12 Pop Century (yes Again)

2010 PRT "I'm off to see the Mickey! The wonderfull cool Mouse! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2383922

WizardLarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #37
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain View Post
Thank you for bringing this up. Far too often I'm trying to bus back from DTD to Beach Club and I have to wait two or three cycles to get on since so many people hitch along to get to Epcot or wherever they're going. Clogs it up real nice.
Complain to your resort that there should be more buses to accommodate the demand.
Hotel scam! Someone "from the front desk" calls your room phone or knocks on the door, usually after midnight, asking for your credit card number to complete your billing or you will be kicked out. Don't give it to him. It can wait until dawn when you stop by the front desk. This includes Disney's resorts too.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #38
Donna M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
The Downtown Disney parking lots at the Disneyland Resort (California) are gated. The lots provide 3 hours of free parking without validation or 5 hours of free parking with a table service meal at one of the Downtown Disney restaurants. Beyond these free limits, there's a rather steep parking charge.

That means guests can enjoy dinner, a movie, and shopping at Downtown Disney with free parking. But guests who try to use a Downtown Disney parking lot for a theme park day will pay dearly.

It's a pricing model that would also work at Walt Disney World's Downtown Disney.

This sounds like a great plan if they build the garage, which I would be in favor of.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #39
Phil'sFrontier
DIS Veteran

Disney should install those smart car parks like in Japan where your car goes in but you don't.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #40
gdrj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighter View Post
I'd be curious to know the statistics behind those who park at DTD. How many of them actually stay and enjoy DTD vs. who simply parks there to get on free buses to the parks.
I would think that it is a small percentage overall. Not an easy way direct way to get to parks. From DTD to Hotels and then to Parks. Plus to leave reverse the whole process. I'm sure there are some. With almost 30,000 rooms on site plus neighboring areas I think its just a lot of people and not enough parking near the areas where people go . Park near the Westend during the day and its a ghost town.
gdrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #41
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain View Post
The Saratoga Springs bus (from the parks to SSR - or really to DTD) is insane at night. I have complained so many times having to wait for additional busses or having to stand with an infant while all the DTD travelers take up the SSR busses because Disney doesn't run a DTD bus from the parks.
dcibrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #42
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
I would guess that it's a smaller percentage than what we might think. DTD bus service is not as frequent as the service between the resorts and parks. Add to that the fact that anyone wanting to get from DTD to a park would have to get a bus to a resort first.
Or walk to Saratoga Springs. There's a reason the Marketplace lot is largely full by 9:59 a.m. even though most DTD stores don't open until 10:00.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #43
Shmily1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkhopping View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here, but how would that make the parking lot less crowded? Wouldn't that only increase the number of cars in the lot, since those staying offsite would need to arrange their own transportation and be more likely to drive themselves?
Because there are those that stay off property, park their cars at DTD, then ride the buses to the parks to avoid paying the $14 parking fee. This takes up parking spaces for those that are there to actually enjoy DTD but spend time circling the parking lots to find a spot to park.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #44
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
But multi-day ticket guests and annual passholders also pay into the system. A portion of the ticket price is also paid into the overall transportation system.

Of course any pass with any kind of a park hopper option has the right to use the bussing system-- it would be hard to park hop without it.

The point is that they don't necessarily have the right to park in parking lots that are not designated as "park" parking lots for the day and jump the bus to whichever park they want to go to. I would love to see the above system (paid parking at DTD after certain time alotments) inplememted for the new parking garage if it happens.

Last edited by beer dave; 02-19-2013 at 06:21 AM.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #45
mamaprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post

That would be perfect especially since they already have it benchmarked.
mamaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: