Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #106
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
They look awful! It's like Barbie and her friends playing Disney Princess
They remind me of the "Call me and you won't be lonely" girls on the late night TV commercials.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #107
Jubilee
<3 my kids

Sorry, but they look like they are trying to pick up my husband now.

As a mother of daughters, I will not support this line one iota. My daughters hate it as well, and they are young (7 & 5.)

If they change the face characters to reflect this, we will not stand in line to meet them.

I am getting really irritated with the faddish changes Disney has been making in some regards lately. I feel like I'm at Universal Studios. (You know, the park that still has Beetlejuice & Twister references.)

I don't want my children liking BRATZ dolls, Disney, hence I do not buy them BRATZ dolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #108
Jubilee
<3 my kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post

They are modernizing the princesses, just as they have with other characters in the past. I see nothing wrong with it.
WRONG. This is not the same whatsoever as Mickey is a mouse and these are based on humans and I think it makes all the difference. Also, they look like *****s (you get what I'm saying here) and Mickey is not more sexualized as time progresses, is he?

Their eyes are heavily lidded now, their dresses full of glitter. As someone who reluctantly lives in Tampa, FL, I would say the characters have been given a Tampa makeover. And by that, I mean strip club. I feel passionately about this as I have daughters and do not believe we should be ruining their innocence making them wanting to be sexy at younger and younger and younger and younger ages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know they sell bras for 6 year olds nowdays? Whose idea is this, men or women? Also, my kids aren't allowed to watch the tween crap on TV or listen to the music of Justin Bieber and the like (not even Disney based stuff like Hannah Montana or HSM--no siree!)
Old 02-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #109
Jubilee
<3 my kids

One more thing... I was at mall yesterday and went into Disney Store..... and I saw a Princess towel with all the characters, and it was folded just so that my favorite princesses face was just there (Aurora) and would you believe it, she had purple eyes!

So basically I can now take a drive down International and buy a rip off towel for half the price (you know the ones where the characters don't look right and the eyes and hair and color of things are all different because they were made poorly in China) and basically save myself a few bucks and have a chance it looks more authentic to the original characters than what they now sell in the parks. This is not progress. It is simply a mistake.

You can't really tell in this pic, but IRL it's bright purple.

http://www.disneystore.com/disney-pr...21222/1000387/

/soapbox off
Old 02-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #110
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
Sorry, but they look like they are trying to pick up my husband now.

As a mother of daughters, I will not support this line one iota. My daughters hate it as well, and they are young (7 & 5.)

If they change the face characters to reflect this, we will not stand in line to meet them.

I am getting really irritated with the faddish changes Disney has been making in some regards lately. I feel like I'm at Universal Studios. (You know, the park that still has Beetlejuice & Twister references.)

I don't want my children liking BRATZ dolls, Disney, hence I do not buy them BRATZ dolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wait, Disney has references to older movies and it's good yet when Universal does the same thing, it's not good? There are faddish rides but then these rides get changed. It keeps the park fun.
For the record, Universal has not changed the looks of their characters.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #111
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee

WRONG. This is not the same whatsoever as Mickey is a mouse and these are based on humans and I think it makes all the difference. Also, they look like *****s (you get what I'm saying here) and Mickey is not more sexualized as time progresses, is he?

Their eyes are heavily lidded now, their dresses full of glitter. As someone who reluctantly lives in Tampa, FL, I would say the characters have been given a Tampa makeover. And by that, I mean strip club. I feel passionately about this as I have daughters and do not believe we should be ruining their innocence making them wanting to be sexy at younger and younger and younger and younger ages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know they sell bras for 6 year olds nowdays? Whose idea is this, men or women? Also, my kids aren't allowed to watch the tween crap on TV or listen to the music of Justin Bieber and the like (not even Disney based stuff like Hannah Montana or HSM--no siree!)
Eyelids and glitter = sexy? Not to me.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #112
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
For the record, Universal has not changed the looks of their characters.
Of course, they don't actually own most of their characters. Disney does.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #113
mousefan2322
Earning My Ears

Characters have seen changes in style regarding merchandise all the time. Trend D store in DD used to feature the chararcters in different styles. At first I thought that was interesting and fresh specially since they were geared at an older audience. I don´t agree on them changing the classic look for their main merchandise line, I hope this is only a bad phase and sometime in the future they go back to the original artwork done by the animators.

Regarding the face characters in the parks, I actually like cinderella´s new look a little better, the dress seems prettier and the new hair style fits her a little better in my opinion.

In Belle´s case, I have yet to see the dress in person, because it photographs well but I feel they are going for a more realistic look which is not what they should aim for, people expect to see characters not someone dressed up like belle. I hate the wig and the obsession on making the hair bigger and longer.
mousefan2322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #114
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

I might just have to stop following this thread because I am getting grouchy! Sure, they were beautiful and skinny in the movies, but not to the degree they are today. They looked like individual characters with individual personalities, not all the same with heavy eyelids, makeup, beach blonde barbie hair... I do not think Walt would be pleased at how they are portrayed now. Personally, refreshing the costumes a bit in the park wouldn't bother me... its the other marketing that sparked the change that I'm upset with... I can't change it and I think it's a huge shame, but I will just continue watching the classic movies and loving them and steer clear of the sexy new princesses today.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #115
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee
One more thing... I was at mall yesterday and went into Disney Store..... and I saw a Princess towel with all the characters, and it was folded just so that my favorite princesses face was just there (Aurora) and would you believe it, she had purple eyes!
If you google up images from Sleeping Beauty, you will find that Aurora does have purple eyes. Go figure.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #116
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
If you google up images from Sleeping Beauty, you will find that Aurora does have purple eyes. Go figure.
and if you watch the movie, you will find that she doesn't. go figure.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #117
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailrabbit

and if you watch the movie, you will find that she doesn't. go figure.
Keep looking. She has black eyes in some scenes and purple in others.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #118
cindyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
They remind me of the "Call me and you won't be lonely" girls on the late night TV commercials.

This comment made me LOL!!
But it is so true!
I am really disgusted with the new look!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #119
angelmichelle
Mouseketeer

(c) http://daily-disney-dreaming.tumblr....st/43254185796

angelmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #120
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

^ Why must they completely sparkle? I don't think Pocahontas wore a sparkly dress as she was running through the forest....

It's also disappointing that Mulan now has the long flowing hair (because all little girls have that right?) At least before it was tied back. Mulan should have short hair like in the movie. I know she starts out with long hair but when she cuts it, it's a very significant part in the movie.

As for Jasmine, what's with the little piece of hair that "sticking" out. And why do her pants (you can't see them in the picture I know) now have that sheer piece over them? Her wedding outfit had that, not her blue outfit.

I don't like Auroras dress at all, the sparkles just look WRONG. Just like they do on Snow White.

I could deal with Cinderella's dress (It's always been the wrong colour and style since her dress in the movie is silver/white) But she looks like she's had cosmetic surgery that's gone wrong...What's with her sunken cheeks and pouty lips? Also, Ariel in "human form" in her new emerald grees dress looks like she's had a nip and tuck too....

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: