Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
Luv4Dis
Mouseketeer

Delivery concern: dolphin

Hello,

So we just tried to place an order with garden grocer for our upcoming trip for spring break. After coming up with our very time consuming list and finally placing the order we got the news that the dolphin doesn't allow ANY deliveries to the hotel!!!!
Those of you that have stayed here before, what have you done in terms of a grocery order? We need bulk items like cases of water, beer, snacks etc so the shop there won't do. We are annoyed because we realize that we could have taken a cab from the airport and made a stop to shop. Any suggestions?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Luv4Dis
Mouseketeer

I should add that we already booked mears transportation to the hotel. Now we will have to get there and then take a cab to a store? This is totally going to eat up our first day!!! Any suggestions welcome!!! We are traveling with 2 little boys as well ....20 months and 4 yrs......
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
patty57
DIS Veteran

I think I would consider "unbooking" with Mears and taking a cab or town car to the Dolphin so that you can make a stop.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
AuroraRora
Princess

Could you have your groceries sent to a different resort nearby, and pop over in a cab to pick them up? I've heard of people having things sent that would arrive before they check in, so I'm sure if you had your items sent to the closest resort hotel and let them know, they'd hold it at bell services for you.
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Poohlovr
Still SSB's archrival!
It's a sad day when you thank your friends for boo-ing you
Apparently they don't know the power of the Cheerleaders

I would cancel Mears.

I would also compare the price of a rental car for the day (pick up at MCO, drop off at the Dolphin). This might be cheaper than either a taxi or a town car and you can take as long as you need to shop.

Poohlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
PatchPixie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohlovr
I would cancel Mears.

I would also compare the price of a rental car for the day (pick up at MCO, drop off at the Dolphin). This might be cheaper than either a taxi or a town car and you can take as long as you need to shop.
Yup! We did this in October. Just used a one day rental from National. Super easy since you can return the car right at the hotel We stopped for dinner and groceries on the way to the Dolphin. It was about the same as a delivery fee with inflated prices and tips would be for garden grocery - check for discount codes, too!

Always missing the mouse...
Several childhood trips
Saratoga Springs: December 2007
Wilderness Lodge: December 2011
Dolphin/AoA LM: October 2012
Planning for December 2014!!

PatchPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
LexiC123
on this, our spaceship earth
makes me want to jab candy canes into my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57 View Post
I think I would consider "unbooking" with Mears and taking a cab or town car to the Dolphin so that you can make a stop.
I agree.

Not sure how many are in your traveling party, but a town car might be more economical if there are 3 or more of you. The town car runs around $105 roundtrip (plus tip), whereas Mears costs in the neighborhood of $34/$27 per adult/child, plus tip.

Another big plus, you have the convenience of the grocery stop and the benefit of going directly from the airport to *your* hotel, without making 3 or 4 stops at other hotels.

Definitely worth thinking about.
WDW: 6/72 offsite.....5/93 offsite.....10/94 OKW.....11/95 BC.....10/96 BWV.....10/97 BC.....3/98 CBR.....10/98 WL.....5/99 YC & GF.....8/99 DI (now SSR).....9/99 CR.....3/00 BC.....4/00 YC.....8/00 Poly.....4/01 BC.....7/01 YC.....8/02 BC.....9/09 Dolphin.....9/10 Swan.....10/11 Swan & Dolphin.....4/13 Swan & BC
DL: 3/71 offsite.....6/98 Pacific Hotel (now Paradise Pier).....12/00 Disneyland Hotel
LexiC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
Luv4Dis
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for the ideas. There are two problems to renting a car as everyone suggested. We have two little ones that would need carseats. I would hate to lug their seats down just for using one time. I'm not sure what people normally do for little ones? If we were renting a car the whole length of the trip then we would definitely bring their carseats.

Does anyone know what the cost is to take a cab from the dolphin to Walmart? The lady I spoke to at the dolphin said Walmart is down the road.....

Again, if anyone has any ideas to make this experience easier for us....please share!

Thanks
Old 02-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Karebear
Mouseketeer

I would book a town car for your trip from the airport. They will stop at a grocery store for you on the way to the hotel. Also (per a friend of mine who did this), they can have carseats in the towncar for you for your children. Hope this helps!

Karebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
Poohlovr
Still SSB's archrival!

You can rent carseats (or boosters, as needed) from Alamo with the car

Old 02-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
Dis703
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4Dis View Post
Thanks everyone for the ideas. There are two problems to renting a car as everyone suggested. We have two little ones that would need carseats. I would hate to lug their seats down just for using one time. I'm not sure what people normally do for little ones? If we were renting a car the whole length of the trip then we would definitely bring their carseats.

Does anyone know what the cost is to take a cab from the dolphin to Walmart? The lady I spoke to at the dolphin said Walmart is down the road.....

Again, if anyone has any ideas to make this experience easier for us....please share!

Thanks
We brought our carseat last time because we wanted DS to use it on the plane. But you can rent carseats with a car as well. I don't know what transport from the airport costs, but we were looking at renting a minivan for a day for about $100. If you don't need a car that big you can probably add on the rental of 2 carseats and still make out for that much. By the time you add transport and a cab later it may even out or be cheaper.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
Luv4Dis
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! I didn't even think about the option of renting carseats. So if I am understanding this correctly, we could rent a car for the day with the carseats as well... And then return car right at dolphin????

The other option of a town car.... They have ar seats in the car if you request this? This option would work well I think....anyone have a name of a town car company?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
Karebear
Mouseketeer

My friend used Tiffany Towncar and she said that they provide carseats and booster seats. Hope this helps!

Karebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
Poohlovr
Still SSB's archrival!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4Dis View Post
Thanks everyone! I didn't even think about the option of renting carseats. So if I am understanding this correctly, we could rent a car for the day with the carseats as well... And then return car right at dolphin????

The other option of a town car.... They have ar seats in the car if you request this? This option would work well I think....anyone have a name of a town car company?
Yes-you just pick up the car (and car seats) at MCO and drop off at Dolphin.

I've also heard good things about Tiffany. Keep in mind the grocery stop is only 30 mins. I'm slower than that.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #15
patty57
DIS Veteran

The Dolphin has National and Alamo, so it would need to be a car from them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: