Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #31
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I got to a very small salon and they stopped taking credit or debit cards a few months ago.

They will take cash or a personal check only. She did say they were looking at accepting credit cards at the request of the customers but they would have to charge for the fee then.

They are so small that I'm always surprised they are still in business when I call to get my hair done. I have highlights done and get my hair cut. I can't remember what I paid - 80.00 or so?

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #32
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCat View Post
I have tipped 50% on my hair before. I have long super thick hair, I've had a stylist work 3 straight hours (and not work on any other clients) on coloring and cutting my hair and only charge me $120-150 bucks. Seems wrong to me to only tip 20% in that situation.

The salon I go to asks for cash tips too.
He/She's making just under 40.00-50.00 a hour and you think that 20% is wrong? A 60.-75.00 tip? Hey, I'm thrilled people think it is worth these kinds of prices. It still boggles my mind. Haircolor needs to be retouched every 4-8 weeks. Is this what you pay this often? I'm just curious how often people do this. I go every 4 weeks for color. I do this 2x times and then the next month I touch up regrowth and add highlights.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #33
cassandrap83
Only 3hrs from the Magic :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post
He/She's making just under 40.00-50.00 a hour and you think that 20% is wrong? A 60.-75.00 tip? Hey, I'm thrilled people think it is worth these kinds of prices. It still boggles my mind. Haircolor needs to be retouched every 4-8 weeks. Is this what you pay this often? I'm just curious how often people do this. I go every 4 weeks for color. I do this 2x times and then the next month I touch up regrowth and add highlights.

Not all salons are created equal. Also, different states have different regulations.

Some salons pay a flat hourly wage, while others pay commission. A person at a chain salon will typically make an hourly wage, as will a stylist who is just starting out.

If the stylist does booth-rental, then he/she pays a flat weekly fee to the salon owner to use the space. (this is only available in some states)
cassandrap83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #34
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

Now I feel really cheap. I either go to a beauty school or great clips for a $5 cut.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #35
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran

It also helps to not have a paper trail on your tips.

My neice ran into that last year at a nail salon, she had to walk across the street with her toes still wet to get cash from the ATM. Its just rude to me. Tell your customers upfront or have a sign.

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~ Abraham Lincoln
"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith"-- Robert G. Ingersoll
LuvsDragonflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #36
ChiCat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11

Haha oh no! I don't have grays yet so I just get ombré color 1-2 times a year. If I'm getting just a cut (not nearly as time consuming) I tip 20%.

CBR 9/2011
best trip so far 12/2013
ChiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #37
Briarmom
Bessie Robindale
Larry's been done. Laird is refreshing!
I always thought it was my farsighted left eye that did me in
Knows about bone folders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post
At the salon I go to, many of the girls are at hourly ($9) plus 25% of services.
How would the salon stay open if none of the money went to the light bill?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #38
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandrap83 View Post
Not all salons are created equal. Also, different states have different regulations.

Some salons pay a flat hourly wage, while others pay commission. A person at a chain salon will typically make an hourly wage, as will a stylist who is just starting out.

If the stylist does booth-rental, then he/she pays a flat weekly fee to the salon owner to use the space. (this is only available in some states)
Thanks for informing me of how the industry works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briarmom View Post
At the salon I go to, many of the girls are at hourly ($9) plus 25% of services.
How would the salon stay open if none of the money went to the light bill?
Well, 21.50 a hour plus tips is pretty good money. Especially if someone tipped 50%--46.50 a hour!

And yes, a stylist does not keep all of the money I mentioned in my first post. I worked for someone for 11 years and gave her almost 1/2 of everything I made. Then I got wise and went to work for myself.

Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #39
M5ward
When You Wish Upon A Star...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserrai View Post
I used to cashier at a restaurant and we would give the servers their cc tips in cash at the end of their shift. This means the restaurant had to pay the cc fees on the tips because the server received the full amount of the tip before fees. I would imagine it works that way anywhere so the salon probably doesn't want to have to pay the fees on the tips.
This is exactly the reason!

Nov., 1981 (CR),Nov., 1983 (CR),Dec., 1994 (off-site),Jan., 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), Jan., 2007 (SSR), Nov., 2007 (SSR), Feb., 2008 (BWV), Oct., 2008 (OKW), Jan., 2009 (BWV),Oct., 2009 (BCV), Jan., 2010 (BWV), Oct., 2010 (OKW),Jan., 2011 (BWV), Nov., 2011 (OKW)
Jan., 2012 (BLT),Apr., 2012 (BWV)Nov./Dec.,2012 (BWV), Jan, 2013 (BLT), , Apr, 2013 (BCV)Oct2013(BWV)
M5ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #40
shellybaxter
Dis Veteran
Disney Restaurants for one hundred Alex

Where I live it would be very un-common (I can't think of any) for a salon to take credit cards at all. I write a check to my stylist for services and tip and a separate check to the salon for product. At a different salon I write a check or give cash to the manicurist for services and tip and a separate check to the salon for product. When I get a massage in a bigger town 90 miles away I can use my credit card to pay for services, tip and product
shellybaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #41
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

This thread is so timely for me -- I was actually going to start my own thread about it. My situation is a little different and I'd love some opinions.

About a year or so ago, my salon was bought out (remained an Aveda salon, though). At that time, we were told that they could no longer accept tips on our cards and we'd have to tip in cash. My stylist told me that it had to do with the new owner not wanting to be taxed on those amounts or something like that. Fine. Side note: when I looked up the new owner on the internet (they have locations in other states), they actually refer to themselves as a "no tipping salon".

A few months ago, I was told at the desk that they no longer even keep envelopes for cash tips up there (they're not allowed to) -- if we want to tip, we have to give it directly to the stylist. At this point, I'm starting to think that owner really doesn't want them to accept tips for some reason.

Yesterday, after my cut, my stylist tells me don't worry about tipping, that he'd appreciate referrals instead. I asked if he could accept tips and he said 'yes', but they're really not necessary. Another side note: it was mentioned during our conversation during my cut that they all went to the owner's home state/salon for "training".

Well, last time since I had to give him the tip directly, I had to wait until he came out from the back room before I gave it to him (after I had paid). So, I said, "I'm going to tip you now so I don't have to hunt you down again". Well, he walks me to the front to give them my ticket and he takes off!

I see him by his station so I immediately go over there and he was like, "You really don't have to tip me" and I told him I wanted to and practically forced the money into his hand.

I went back to pay and asked about it because I was now worried I was going to get him in trouble. She said that he probably won't get in trouble, but she knows for a fact that they're now being compensated differently than they were previously and they're really encouraged not to accept tips. And another side note: my cut went up from $51 to $63.

So, my question is . . . Should I even tip going forward? Should I tip less now (10%) vs. the normal 20% since the price went up so much? When I get my hair highlighted in a couple of months, no telling how much that service will have gone up. I would feel weird not tipping, but it really seems like the owner has created a business model that he doesn't want his stylists to accept tips (not that he just doesn't want to pay taxes on credit card tips).

Thoughts? I'm really perplexed.
Music City Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #42
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music City Mama View Post
This thread is so timely for me -- I was actually going to start my own...So, my question is . . . Should I even tip going forward? Should I tip less now (10%) vs. the normal 20% since the price went up so much? When I get my hair highlighted in a couple of months, no telling how much that service will have gone up. I would feel weird not tipping, but it really seems like the owner has created a business model that he doesn't want his stylists to accept tips (not that he just doesn't want to pay taxes on credit card tips).

Thoughts? I'm really perplexed.
I'm thinking if this is the new business model & the information you found was no tipping, then I guess I would honor that.

I'm thinking it is like when Carmax came on the scene with their "this is the price, no haggle" concept. Nobody believed them (haven't used them so don't know how true that is)...because it was different.

Frankly -- I would LOVE that policy! The tipping stuff gets so confusing!

I know at our work, we have people who will help you load stuff -- if they get caught taking a tip, they can be fired. People tend to not want to believe them and so it causes an issue because they can't accept the tip and people can be aggressive about it. If they DO get a tip & can't get out of it, they are supposed to turn it in to management which then goes to a general employee fund which they use to have cook-outs and things with. So...if management happen to be walking by when the employee ended up with the tip & then they didn't turn it in, they just lost their job.

For some odd reason, they don't believe them when they tell them "I can't accept it"...my thought is IF the are TELLING you they don't need a tip then believe them.

No one in their right mind is going to make it up that they don't need to be tipped and tell you if it isn't a problem.

Obviously, your stylist was trying to tactfully to get out of getting a tip -- so next time, I would believe them.

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #43
kathie859
DIS Veteran

My hairdresser rents space in a salon. I pay him cash for services and tip. Like several posters, I'm pretty much a "cashless" gal--but I couldn't see having him make 3-5% less when I use a credit card when I can easily bring cash. I know I'm going to go have my hair done--how much planning does it take to make sure you have enough cash to handle the costs?

My nail salon has a sign that if you intend on paying with a credit card, please advise them of a tip if you wish to include it on the charge. That way they can run your card for the proper amount once. I still pay them cash, too. Again it's a locally owned shop--and I know that 3-5% off their "take" may be the difference to making money and staying in business.
kathie859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #44
teruterubouzu
DIS Veteran

I had something similar happen. The salon I went to was a no tipping salon and my stylist was the owner. Then they changed their policy and allowed tipping, but not on cards. They didn't tell me when they called to confirm my appt. I had to scrounge around in my purse for cash to find enough for what I consider a minimum acceptable tip. It was awkward and I never went back.

Now I found a new stylist and he uses square. I pay via credit card and add the tip I want -- easy peasy.

August 7-11, 2009 - Went back for a long weekend with my brother to relive old family vacation memories.
May 8-11, 2009 - Long weekend at Coronado Springs

August 2008 Trip Report: Disneyfied! Two sisters return to Walt Disney World after 21 years. (apologies for abandoning this)
teruterubouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #45
tink_n_pooh
my TP isn't going anywhere. I can start the TP underground, anyone who is interested just let me know
I'm happy my underwear are clean

It has a lot to do with how credit cards are processed, we were charged any even higher percentage if we offered that tip line on credit cards so we had to stop doing it. As it was, the salon lost 3-4% if someone used a card to pay plus we lost another 3-4% because the stylist received the amount of the tip and not minus the fees. Those tips were added to their paycheck so they only got them every two weeks and they were taxed which the stylists did not prefer.

Here in NJ stores can now charge consumers a fee to use credit cards, small salons will likely be one of the places that will charge the fee since they are hit hard by those fees
DD (2014)
tink_n_pooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: