Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #91
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

I can't lie, I'd be miserable and a total witch, and complaining. Without any stabilizers, I'd for sure be sea-sick, which I've experienced, and I feel like I'm dying. I also don't take heat well, and I have an extremely weak stomach, so the nasty stench would make me be puking my guts out on top of being sea-sick.

I'd also have anxiety overload. Panicking. Probably demanding to get me off that ship, because of how sick I'd be, and that I might go crazy.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #92
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1tinkfans View Post
Disturbing on may levels.
I would have hated it, I would have been one of those that got SICK if what people said was true, it stank....I barf easily
I would be angry as hell that they had no way to get those people off the ship...THANK GOD there was no bad weather or we'd all be talking about a very different SAD story.

But most of all I/we never cruise carnival, Ever and this just again RE-supported our decision..
Rccl ,,,,,Princess !!
Ummmm, you do know that Princess is owned by....wait for it... CARNIVAL!!!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 02:44 AM   #93
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

I like to think that we would have been okay. I think, if we had a balcony cabin (which every rarely got up until the last 2 years and now nearly always do get) we would for sure have been fine--but if we had had only interior rooms it might be harder, especially if my DD got panicky and started having issues with being unable to get away from the crowds without sitting in a pitch black and hot interior room.
We have handled smaller travel issues well, things like sitting on the tarmac for 5 hours with young kids, me alone with a toddler and preschooler on a trip when not one, but TWO planes had mechanical difficulties which resulted in landing early, getting everyone off and waiting hours (once overnight in an otherwise shutdown section of DFW--with no employees staying) for new planes, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal View Post
Just curious...and off topic, but why? Couldn't this very well happen to any cruise line?
It could. However, Carnival seems to have more issue than most and when they do have issues they seem to be lacking in redundant systems which could keep the ship operable and ship's services going in the event of a fire knocking out the first system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartdisney View Post
True. However, while technically owned by Carnival now, Princess kept its management team in place and is still run separately out of the LA offices and not under the same policies or management as Carnival.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #94
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartdisney View Post
It's owned by Carnival Corporation, not Carnival Cruise Lines.

Carnival Corp. also owns Seabourn, Holland America and Cunard.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #95
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I would be freaking out at first...fire and being trapped are huge fears for me...but would eventually resign myself to the situation and try to make the best of it.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #96
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
It has been interesting seeing the interviews with the passengers. I've seen some who said it was horrible but they powered through. They seem composed and didn't make it into the end of the world type event. Others have been hysterical.

Every single person interviewed agrees that the conditions were deplorable. However, the way in which some handled those conditions versus others is night and day.

Where do you think you would fall? Do you think you would be hysterical, laid back, or somewhere in between?

For me, I'd do much better if I could either be by myself (with my family, assuming they were there) or with a positive group of people. I know I would feed off of negative energy so if I was with a group who was hysterical, I would jump on that bandwagon, as well.

The conditions on that ship tested everyone on board and some likely have come off much stronger individuals and others will need therapy and medication for life.
I would be fine.

My kids and my dh not so much. It would be their worst nightmare.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #97
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

I think we've learned with politics, you have to be careful about listening to the media.
They're ALWAYS going to interview the people who had the worst experience, or think they did, and edit out anyone who doesn't complain.

For me....I guess it would depend upon my proximity to a bathroom. If I didn't have any problems in using a bathroom when I needed one, then I'd just chill. And I agree with others, always having a balcony helps...for the claustrophobia, if nothing else.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #98
Jessica14
DIS Veteran

I would have been a disaster! I would have been the one with anxiety attacks and a sick stomach. I would hope though after the initial craziness, I would calm down to some extent. And yes, they did start to give away free drinks and then realized it was a bad idea. I've heard two different passengers say that it was a real problem.

I think that these passengers may have had it worse than the passengers on the Mayflower!
Jessica
2010:POFQ 12/11-12/17:
2011: Santa took us to POP!

My Blog: A Woman's Pause www.jessicajudd.blogspot.com
Jessica14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #99
tink20
DIS Veteran

Hard to say how I would have faired. I don't know. I do fine during hurricanes when we go days without electricity, but to be trapped on a ship and then add on the bathroom problems and smells. I would probably have been sick.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #100
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
It has been interesting seeing the interviews with the passengers. I've seen some who said it was horrible but they powered through. They seem composed and didn't make it into the end of the world type event. Others have been hysterical.

Every single person interviewed agrees that the conditions were deplorable. However, the way in which some handled those conditions versus others is night and day.

Where do you think you would fall? Do you think you would be hysterical, laid back, or somewhere in between?

For me, I'd do much better if I could either be by myself (with my family, assuming they were there) or with a positive group of people. I know I would feed off of negative energy so if I was with a group who was hysterical, I would jump on that bandwagon, as well.

The conditions on that ship tested everyone on board and some likely have come off much stronger individuals and others will need therapy and medication for life.
....I look for the silver lining....you get a really cool white robe....
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #101
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink20 View Post
Hard to say how I would have faired. I don't know. I do fine during hurricanes when we go days without electricity, but to be trapped on a ship and then add on the bathroom problems and smells. I would probably have been sick.
I don't know either. When we have power outages here at home, we have a generator, and I'm still in my own home, surrounded by just my own family. I don't think I'd ever set foot on a cruise ship ever again, after seeing hallways covered in fluids.
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #102
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie View Post
I can't lie, I'd be miserable and a total witch, and complaining. Without any stabilizers, I'd for sure be sea-sick, which I've experienced, and I feel like I'm dying. I also don't take heat well, and I have an extremely weak stomach, so the nasty stench would make me be puking my guts out on top of being sea-sick.
I hadn't thought about the stablizers being "gone".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal View Post
Just curious...and off topic, but why? Couldn't this very well happen to any cruise line?
Yes and no . . . yes, any ship could have mechanical problems, but what I've been reading is that Carnival KNEW this particular ship had mechanical issues and failed to complete the proper maintenance. They KNEW they were sailing on "borrowed time" and they would have a problem eventually -- they were putting it off, putting it off, putting it off. And now it's blown up in their faces and will cost much more than the maintenance would've cost.

Let's put that into real-people terms: Say you KNOW that your tires are on their last legs, and you KNOW you should replace them . . . but tires are a big expense, and you'd have to take a day off work to go get the work done. So you say, "Next month, next month, next month. I'll get around to it." After a while of putting off the maintenance, you blow a tire while you're on the interstate and wreck your car. Or you hydroplane on a water puddle. That isn't totally an accident because you could've avoided it by proper maintenance. Same thing Carnival did.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #103
Lovin' Disney
Mouseketeer

So, I heard on the radio today that at least 2 ladies have filed lawsuits....

http://www.freep.com/article/2013021...011/1025/rss05

Disneyland - Anaheim Desert Inn...July 2014
Disneyland - Best Western Anaheim Inn...July/August 2013
Off-site (VRBO rental house)...June 2012
Pop Century-70's...August 2011
Pop Century-50's...April 2010
All-Star Sports-Football...Aug/Sept 2009
Fort Wilderness Cabin...Aug/Sept 2008
All-Star Movies-Mighty Ducks & MVMCP...Nov/Dec 2007
All-Star Movies-Toy Story & MVMCP....December 2006
All Star Movies-101 Dalmations (Honeymoon)....February 2002
Coronado Springs....May 2001
Off Site (US 192--Econo Lodge)....June 2000
Off Site......1987 & 1989
Lovin' Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #104
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

I couldn't make the best of ANY Carnival cruise I'm afraid!
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #105
meowmarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
At least 4,000 people deserve the amended version: A bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work unless you were on the Triumph.
No doubt. I don't have to poop in a bag at work, even on a bad day.

11/14 OKW ~ 2/13 POP ~ 2/12 DLR ~ 12/09 POP ~ 8/08 FWC ~ 6 pre-2000 trips (I've lost track!)
meowmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: