Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #46
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

Here's the thing. Disney does inform you (and by "you," I mean the general "you," not one person in particular) that they retain the right to place you in a room other than what you've booked. All you're really reserving is a room on property. I'm guessing there are some guidelines...those who have booked a handicap accessible room are probably entitled to those (I don't know that for sure, but it makes sense). In addition, if you have 6 people in your party, they will give you something that has enough sleeping surfaces for 6 people. Beyond that...you know there's a chance you won't get what you paid for. Most of the time, you will get exactly the room category you booked. However, if you're not willing to take the risk, it may be best to stay off-property instead.

I would, however, be ticked off if I wasn't immediately refunded the difference if I was downgraded. Not refunding the money or making a big deal out of it is poor customer service.

Last edited by KrazeeK120; 02-16-2013 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
KrazeeK120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #47
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

While we were at AS Music this January we had to change rooms mid trip. We came home and the room reeked of smoke! UGH

It was coming through the vent.

They immediately moved us. I would think more than just our room was 'smokey' due to one or more smokers in another room I don't know how long that sort of thing takes to clean / desmoke but it could knock out a group of rooms for a few days.
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies

Our new favorite thing to do (between Disney trips) is posting DHs photos on foap - he's under guanojoe (how funny is that?!)
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #48
suefly
Earning My Ears

I was upgraded to a Royal guest room at POR last year from prefered. Was not that happy with the room. Was far from everything. Think I was closer to POFQ. Should have complained, asked for a closer room. Perfered was the only thing left when I booked. My brother was downgraded same time to standard from prefered. He complained and got moved closer.
suefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #49
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Your trip would be ruined because you didn't get the view that you wanted for the very few waking hours you'd spend in your room? Really?

I can imagine a passing few moments of irritation, but geez louize, minor in the grand scheme of things, yes?
To be fair, the poster you quoted mentioned nothing about their trip being ruined if this were to happen.

And what might be minor to you, would not be to other people. Not everyone at Disney just spends a few "waking hours" in their rooms.

And regardless, if I paid for a theme park view or savannah view and did not receive it, I would expect a full refund of the difference. I wouldn't be feeling the magic either if the kickoff to my vacation was finding out I had to fight for a refund of money that is still rightfully mine because of a service not provided.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #50
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkermommyof3 View Post
I have read on the boards in the past that a few people have paid for preferred rooms at All Stars or Pop. They were "downgraded" to regular rooms. It seemed that the resort overbooked the preferred rooms. The guests that posted stated that they asked the front desk to refund difference in room rate and they did. I would be disappointed but would definately ask for a refund (don't assume it would be given without asking) of difference in room rate and make the best of the situation. The room contract has the small print that there are no guarantees. If still not happy at current resort, I would see if I could change to another resort. Still at WDW, still happy!
This happened to me December a year ago. They readily offered to refund the difference. It was not a big deal--really. Like is too short to get THAT upset over a room location.

They also offered to take us and our bags to the room via nifty golf cart right then and there.

Other guests were pitching fits. I hope our shrug and smiles made life easier for the CMs.

Personal note: I just found out a friend is facing cancer and one, full year of treatments. Kinda puts "I didn't get the room I wanted" in perspective....
Old 02-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #51
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I've been upgraded a couple times, never downgraded. I've only read about it happening with preferred-location room reservations at the values and one report of the same from CBR. At the deluxe resorts Disney seems all too happy to overbook the lower-priced standard views and bump people up as needed rather than having guests choose a lower-tier resort or stay offsite because the premium for a higher-priced room type scared them off of their first choice.

I can see where someone would be very upset about a downgrade if the room type they booked was vital to the trip they envisioned, ie bumped down from savannah to standard view at AKL/V, or down from theme park view to garden or lake at one of the MK area resorts, or even from preferred to standard at a value or mod when traveling with someone with mobility issues. I know I would be very upset if we are downgraded from the business class room we have reserved at CSR for our next trip, partly because my girls picked it and are very excited and partly because we're not on any dining plan and are planning on pastries & coffee/milk in the lounge for breakfasts. But I would think that Disney should be able to resolve these issues to the guest's satisfaction in the vast majority of cases.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #52
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyDrake View Post

Personal note: I just found out a friend is facing cancer and one, full year of treatments. Kinda puts "I didn't get the room I wanted" in perspective....
First off, I'm very sorry for your friend. I hope they kick cancer's butt!!!

I do have to say though when you have booked a certain room type, they should give you at least that room type, or better if they run out. Even if that means upgrading you to a different resort. Maybe if that was the way things were handled, they would be a bit more careful of over-booking. There should be no downgrading and Disney expecting you to accept it with a smile. That smacks too much of Take It or Leave It, We Don't Care.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #53
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
I can see where someone would be very upset about a downgrade if the room type they booked was vital to the trip they envisioned, ie bumped down from savannah to standard view at AKL/V, or down from theme park view to garden or lake at one of the MK area resorts, or even from preferred to standard at a value or mod when traveling with someone with mobility issues. I know I would be very upset if we are downgraded from the business class room we have reserved at CSR for our next trip, partly because my girls picked it and are very excited and partly because we're not on any dining plan and are planning on pastries & coffee/milk in the lounge for breakfasts. But I would think that Disney should be able to resolve these issues to the guest's satisfaction in the vast majority of cases.
I feel the same way. I think people wanting to spend time on their balcony watching the fireworks or the animals at AKL would be quite upset at having their views changed. As as someone who has traveled with a parent with mobility issues, a location change that could be a nuisance for some can be a real problem for others. Disney should be able to find a way to make things right, though...

The only downgrades I can recall reading about here were moving people from Preferred rooms to standard at the values, though.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #54
susanv
Mouseketeer

We got downgraded at POR this past March. Had booked and paid for a Riverview and did not receive it. Was refunded the difference, only it did NOT make my husband's trip. Just finished a 28 hour drive to get there and not only did we not get what we paid for we also got 2nd floor at Alligator Bayou. No elevator and room was halfway down the building with four under 8 and one of them one year old the trip did not start off well. I didn't pull a hissy when checking in, also did not get offered anyone to bring our luggage up. Weird.

Hopefully this upcoming trip will be better.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #55
Blackbeltdisneygirl
Disney obsessed and proud of it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl4bby View Post
Disney wouldn't let you sleep on the ground. Doesn't look good for their image.
Haha! One night my husband got locked out and slept in a hammock at CSR! I had told him not to wake me up after they got back from a 3 AM EMH bc I was getting really sick. He let the kids into their room, and since I had locked the door between the rooms, didn't want to wake me up, so he slept outside. I felt so bad. I told him he could have woken me up for that reason! He said it was a wonderful night.

2010: POR 7 days, 2011 split stay: POR 4 days CSR 7 days, 2012: CBR 12 days, 2013: POR 9 days, 2014: 12-14 days AoA???
Blackbeltdisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #56
Blackbeltdisneygirl
Disney obsessed and proud of it!!!

Quote:
This happened to me December a year ago. They readily offered to refund the difference. It was not a big deal--really. Like is too short to get THAT upset over a room location.

They also offered to take us and our bags to the room via nifty golf cart right then and there.

Other guests were pitching fits. I hope our shrug and smiles made life easier for the CMs.

I am sorry for your friend, and hope they are well soon.

That being said, most people are mature enough to not flip out about this kind of issue. That doesn't mean we have to let it slide though. For me it isn't JUST about getting what I paid for, though that is important. I have mobility issues that can flare up at Disney because of the trauma we put our feet and bodies through by pushing hard for 7-12 days.

I injured my feet roughly 7 years ago. I damaged them pretty badly. It nearly disabled me according to my doctor. I have had to go through therapy, shots, daily exercise, painkillers, etc...repeatedly during that timeframe. I just found out both my hips need to be replaced within the next two years. For me, it would be a big deal to have to walk really far to get to my room or the food court and pool. At any time I could have to use a wheelchair if it becomes too much. I am 35. I am young and WISH I could walk pain free, but that isn't my reality.

While I wouldn't pitch a fit if my room were changed, I would make sure it was resolved. Disney has always been wonderful to us in this regard though. I document my mobility issues way in advance of my trip and write to them before we head there. This is all after our first trip where I had no idea how huge POR is, and we were REALLY far from everything. I couldn't attempt the walk without stopping at the hot tub and massaging my feet. Then there were times I thought I wouldn't make it back to my room. The pain was incredible. By the next trip I had a great plan in place to take care of myself better, and POR upgraded us to a preferred room on that trip, so I was really grateful. This time I didn't mess around and paid for a River view room. My mobility issues are noted on my reservation, and I have improved my plan even more and adjusted it to include care of my hips and back as well.

I don't believe in treating anyone rudely unless I am treated badly, but really, to some people room locations are more than just a room. It is a medical need. Even if there is no medical need, and someone paid for something, there should not be the ability to overbook. Really, why would the system allow this anyway? It makes no sense to me. They shouldn't book a room they don't have.

2010: POR 7 days, 2011 split stay: POR 4 days CSR 7 days, 2012: CBR 12 days, 2013: POR 9 days, 2014: 12-14 days AoA???
Blackbeltdisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #57
susanv
Mouseketeer

Wow, your stories all put things into perspective! At least we had a room when we got there and our health.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #58
donnajherren
Mouseketeer

Quote:
This is how I feel about it. If I don't get exactly what I booked, I'll deal. But if I had to "catch" the CM trying to slip a downgrade past me, I'd be upset. More so if the CM proceeded to argue with me about how initiating a refund of the difference wasn't worth it.

I don't have to get exactly what I asked for, but I'd better not have to pay extra for something I'm not getting.

June 1997 - AllStar Sports | February 2011 - Beach Club | June 2013 - Beach Club | June 2014 - Beach Club

donnajherren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #59
cadesfirsttrip
Earning My Ears

Having worked in a pretty major, upscale hotel chain, if I was downgraded (even at an AS), I would tell them very nicely that their first priority to be upgrading me, even if it means moving me to a moderate hotel. The lack of "preferred" rooms, a room that I'd already paid for, was not my problem but theirs. If they didn't think it was possible, I'd very nicely ask for a manager. Of course, I'd have had my DH call the 407 number by then to confirm that there were rooms available at a mod for my trip.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #60
pl4bby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadesfirsttrip
Having worked in a pretty major, upscale hotel chain, if I was downgraded (even at an AS), I would tell them very nicely that their first priority to be upgrading me, even if it means moving me to a moderate hotel. The lack of "preferred" rooms, a room that I'd already paid for, was not my problem but theirs. If they didn't think it was possible, I'd very nicely ask for a manager. Of course, I'd have had my DH call the 407 number by then to confirm that there were rooms available at a mod for my trip.
Love this. It is not the vacationers problem, it is Disneys. Well said
pl4bby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: