Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #1876
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
I though you answer was very useful, I just wanted to add on to it. Also, when I pulled the tread up you following post on town cars wasn't posted yet and I didn't refresh it before I responded. How dare work interfere with my posting on the DISboards!!!

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards

Old 02-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #1877
Poohlovr
Still SSB's archrival!
It's a sad day when you thank your friends for boo-ing you
Apparently they don't know the power of the Cheerleaders

We have our first alcove room with balcony booked at the Swan. Where is the best location to request based on your experience?

Thanks

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #1878
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Let me preface this by saying we've only stayed once

We were in the east (?) wing and all the food, busses, etc... are in the west (?) wing. (Someone please correct me if I reversed the two wings!) My sister and I have an amazing sense of direction and it was like a maze to get from our room down to those areas. Every hallway looks the same, and there are little mini lobbies amongst the floors that also all look the same My mom doesn't have as great of a sense of direction as we do, so she wasn't allowed to go anywhere alone! If you have directionality issues, or pre-teens who might be "on their own" to go to the pool/arcade/food areas, I'd suggest the west wing to make it easier
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 02-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #1879
Poohlovr
Still SSB's archrival!

Thanks. This trip is just DH, our youngest grandson and me. I've stayed at the Swan 3 or 4 times in the past, but have been at the Dolphin for that last several trips and am having a brain block about which wing we preferred in the past.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #1880
LexiC123
on this, our spaceship earth
makes me want to jab candy canes into my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohlovr View Post
We have our first alcove room with balcony booked at the Swan. Where is the best location to request based on your experience?

Thanks
The alcove rooms are terrific. They're the last rooms in each of the 'wings' that jut out from the main section of the Swan. We stayed in one at the Swan in 2010 - Room 592 in the West Wing - and absolutely loved the location, and the view from the room. Besides the extra space, I really liked that the room had windows on two sides, allowing for lots of extra light and several different views.

One of the best things about the Swan (for me, anyway) is that it's much easier to navigate than the Dolphin. Even the alcove rooms weren't much of a walk from the elevator, whereas the Dolphin hallways seemed to go on forever! And once you hit the lobby, the bus stop is a few steps out the front door, and the boat launch is a short walk out the back door.

For the best views, I would request a Boardwalk/Epcot view, on a higher floor (5 through 7).

PS - I posted a few photos of the room in a brief trip summary, here.
WDW: 6/72 offsite.....5/93 offsite.....10/94 OKW.....11/95 BC.....10/96 BWV.....10/97 BC.....3/98 CBR.....10/98 WL.....5/99 YC & GF.....8/99 DI (now SSR).....9/99 CR.....3/00 BC.....4/00 YC.....8/00 Poly.....4/01 BC.....7/01 YC.....8/02 BC.....9/09 Dolphin.....9/10 Swan.....10/11 Swan & Dolphin.....4/13 Swan & BC.....Next: 12/14 Swan
DL: 3/71 offsite.....6/98 Pacific Hotel (now Paradise Pier).....12/00 Disneyland Hotel

Old 02-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #1881
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohlovr View Post

Thanks
Sue!!!! How you doing stranger??

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #1882
Poohlovr
Still SSB's archrival!

Hi Dan! Life's good. How about you??

Old 02-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #1883
emma212010
DIS Veteran

I have a quick question to Dolphin regulars!

Are the doors to the rooms magnetic?

We are staying there in June, and I would love to decorate our door!

Thanks!!
1997-POFQ (First Visit!), 1998-ASMo, 2001-ASM, 2003-POFQ, 2003-CBR, 2005-offsite, 2006-offsite, 2007-Poly & offsite, 2009-POR, 2010-Dolphin & Poly, 2012- POP & POFQ, 2013 June-Dolphin, 2013 July- AKL, 2014 Jan- AoA, 2014 July- CBR

Visiting Mom for the holidays! January 2014 TR (Current)
Moving Mom to FL and DBF's first Disney trip June 2013 PTR and TR
Mother/Daughter June 2012 PTR and TR
Graduation/Anniversary Trip July 2010 TR
Old 02-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #1884
Mouseteacher
Being tagged makes you feel warm and fuzzy!
Now knows the truth
3 tags = perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiC123 View Post
The alcove rooms are terrific. They're the last rooms in each of the 'wings' that jut out from the main section of the Swan. We stayed in one at the Swan in 2010 - Room 592 in the West Wing - and absolutely loved the location, and the view from the room. Besides the extra space, I really liked that the room had windows on two sides, allowing for lots of extra light and several different views.

One of the best things about the Swan (for me, anyway) is that it's much easier to navigate than the Dolphin. Even the alcove rooms weren't much of a walk from the elevator, whereas the Dolphin hallways seemed to go on forever! And once you hit the lobby, the bus stop is a few steps out the front door, and the boat launch is a short walk out the back door.

For the best views, I would request a Boardwalk/Epcot view, on a higher floor (5 through 7).

PS - I posted a few photos of the room in a brief trip summary, here.
We love the Swan alcove room. Looking at your photo, we request the east wing. The wing you see in the photo. Our rooms have been on the 5th and 6th floor the last room so that you have 3 windows plus the sliding glass door. I can see "our" balcony in the photo!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #1885
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouseteacher View Post
We love the Swan alcove room. Looking at your photo, we request the east wing. The wing you see in the photo. Our rooms have been on the 5th and 6th floor the last room so that you have 3 windows plus the sliding glass door. I can see "our" balcony in the photo!
That seems like a great room. 3 windows plus the slider would be awesome! For Swan regulars, is it hard having some of the things only located at the Dolphin? We stayed at the Dolphin for our trip, and while it was HUGE, it was nice to have Picabu and the candy store and The Fountain, etc... right on site. However, I love the Java Bar at the Swan... Just trying to decide if we'd maybe like the Swan better (expecially being 2 adults with no kiddos!) We stayed during a dance competition, and the hallways were like a race track I'm a teacher, so it was hard not to "correct" the behavior
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
Old 02-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #1886
LexiC123
on this, our spaceship earth
makes me want to jab candy canes into my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
I have a quick question to Dolphin regulars!

Are the doors to the rooms magnetic?

We are staying there in June, and I would love to decorate our door!

Thanks!!
I honestly have no idea. I've never seen any of the doors decorated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouseteacher View Post
At first I was disappointed that we weren't in the east wing, figuring that our view would be blocked, but it turned out to be a pretty view, even with just a partial Spaceship Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
That seems like a great room. 3 windows plus the slider would be awesome! For Swan regulars, is it hard having some of the things only located at the Dolphin? We stayed at the Dolphin for our trip, and while it was HUGE, it was nice to have Picabu and the candy store and The Fountain, etc... right on site. However, I love the Java Bar at the Swan... Just trying to decide if we'd maybe like the Swan better (expecially being 2 adults with no kiddos!) We stayed during a dance competition, and the hallways were like a race track I'm a teacher, so it was hard not to "correct" the behavior
It never really bothered us. The walk across the causeway takes almost no time - 2 minutes, tops. When we stayed at the Dolphin, we were in the east wing, and it took longer to get to Picabu and Fountain from that side of the resort than it took walking over from the Swan. We don't do laundry or use the arcade, so that was never an issue. The walk to the grotto pool was slightly longer, but the Swan lap pool, jacuzzi and pool bar were so convenient and laid back, that we didn't miss the activity of the main pool all that much.

And I know what you mean about the Dolphin hallways. The times we've stayed there, there seemed to be people running up and down the hall at all times of the day and night!
WDW: 6/72 offsite.....5/93 offsite.....10/94 OKW.....11/95 BC.....10/96 BWV.....10/97 BC.....3/98 CBR.....10/98 WL.....5/99 YC & GF.....8/99 DI (now SSR).....9/99 CR.....3/00 BC.....4/00 YC.....8/00 Poly.....4/01 BC.....7/01 YC.....8/02 BC.....9/09 Dolphin.....9/10 Swan.....10/11 Swan & Dolphin.....4/13 Swan & BC.....Next: 12/14 Swan
DL: 3/71 offsite.....6/98 Pacific Hotel (now Paradise Pier).....12/00 Disneyland Hotel

Old 02-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #1887
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiC123 View Post

It never really bothered us. The walk across the causeway takes almost no time - 2 minutes, tops. When we stayed at the Dolphin, we were in the east wing, and it took longer to get to Picabu and Fountain from that side of the resort than it took walking over from the Swan. We don't do laundry or use the arcade, so that was never an issue. The walk to the grotto pool was slightly longer, but the Swan lap pool, jacuzzi and pool bar were so convenient and laid back, that we didn't miss the activity of the main pool all that much.

And I know what you mean about the Dolphin hallways. The times we've stayed there, there seemed to be people running up and down the hall at all times of the day and night!
Thanks, that's a good point! We were in the east wing too, and it was sort of far, so it's good to realize it would be similar to that. We also never used the arcade, only went to Picabu twice, and only used the laundry to dry some things since we were there during a tropical storm I can't seem to get the teacher rate to come up for Swan alcove rooms for our dates, so maybe I'll try calling. Thanks again!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #1888
Bronte
DIS Veteran

I think I got a good rate for the Dolphin for Dec. 30/31 (189 per night.)
We almost always stay on property and DH asked tonight if MK is closed at some point on the 30th will we be able to get in if the stage is only "off property" guests (I think they are first correct?)
I also have a room at the beach club for the 30 through the 6th ... During a really busy time like New Years is it just best to stay at a Disney resort just to be safe.
I was really looking forward to staying there but if we can not get into the Magic Kingdom for the fireworks I thing that would be just crazy.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #1889
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte View Post
We almost always stay on property and DH asked tonight if MK is closed at some point on the 30th will we be able to get in if the stage is only "off property" guests (I think they are first correct?)
I also have a room at the beach club for the 30 through the 6th ... During a really busy time like New Years is it just best to stay at a Disney resort just to be safe.
I was really looking forward to staying there but if we can not get into the Magic Kingdom for the fireworks I thing that would be just crazy.
I 'think' (and someone correct me if I'm wrong,) that the S&D are considered on-site Disney resorts in cases like those. They use Disney transportation and share it with guests at BC, YC, and BWI, so it would be really difficult to not include them.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #1890
Poohlovr
Still SSB's archrival!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte View Post
In your scenario, S/D guests are considered on-property and would be allowed in the park.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: