Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Maddie2
DIS Veteran

Mom Q - Best College Backpack?

Hi all. Mom here. Hope it's okay to invade your space, , but I when you need to know, you go to people who DO know.

DS is a high school senior and needs a new backpack. Zippers are shot (been replaced/fixed) and it's time for a new one. Hoping that a new one will last him at least through his first year of college next year.

Looking for recommendations. Needs to be big to lug lots of books and a laptop across campus and back. Needs to be very durable. DS is hard on his stuff. Not looking for cute. Looking for utility, but can't be too dorky looking either.

I came across this North Face Jester and thought this was the one ... but even though it's supposed to be "Best Overall", the con is smaller capacity.

http://www.consumersearch.com/backpa...th-face-jester

Your thoughts? Suggestions?

This Mom would greatly appreciate some guidance. Things have changed a bit since I was in college 25 years ago. TIA!
Maddie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
DISshopkeeper
Had 3 topplings over the years
I'm always on the lookout for Goofy stuff for the DISshop!!

You cannot go wrong with an LL Bean bookpack. My kids are 24 and 26 and they are STILL using their bookpacks that I bought them in HIGH SCHOOL. DD used hers 4 years at college, too. They are still in GREAT shape!
DISshopkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Finally DVC
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISshopkeeper View Post
You cannot go wrong with an LL Bean bookpack. My kids are 24 and 26 and they are STILL using their bookpacks that I bought them in HIGH SCHOOL. DD used hers 4 years at college, too. They are still in GREAT shape!
I will second this. DD got hers at the start of freshman year in HS and stuffed it so full that it was often a wrestling match just to get the zipper closed. But the zippers and seams are still in great shape and she's a college sophomore. DS has only had his for 3 years but I expect it will be the last backpack I ever need to buy him.

We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together.

Grand Floridian 11/88----Dixie Landings 5/92----Yacht Club 1/94----AS Sports 12/94----Swan 4/95----AS Music 1/96----Wilderness Lodge 10/96----Ft. Wilderness Tent 4/97----Fort Wilderness Tent/Beach Club 4/98----Caribbean Beach Resort 6/99----Contemporary 1/00----Contemporary 11/00----Port Orleans Riverside 11/01----Yacht Club 8/03----Pop Century/Polynesian 11/05----Coronado Springs 11/06----Dolphin 6/07----Yacht Club 8/07----Pop Century 12/08----SSR 8/09----BLT 7/10----OKW 8/10----HHI 11/10----Port Orleans French Quarter 1/11----VWL 3/11----BWV 6/11----OKW 12/11----BLT 6/12----BLT 1/13----BLT 7/13----Port Orleans Riverside 8/13----AS Sports 9/13----Yacht Club 11/13----VGF/BLT 1/14
Finally DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
PirateSnowmen
Bazinga!

I use a North Face Jester. I bought it my sophomore year of high school and it's still going strong 6 years later (I'm a senior in college)! I'm not particularly hard on my stuff, but the longest I could make a Jansport backpack last was about 2 years before it completely ripped. Never had a problem with the Jester though!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
lucyem
DIS Veteran

We have a LLBean outlet near here so a lot of our backpacks come from there. They last forever. Much to the disappointment of my 8 yr old DS who has a panda on his (Though we only use the panda one for traveling now. I am not mean enough to make him take it to school)

We did have one split on a seam, remember this was an outlet bag and when I looked at it you could see how the sewing was too close to the edge of the material. I took it back and they gave me credit for the full purchase price I had paid the year before. We would not buy a backpack from anyone else.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: