Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
bobbyshawatl
Mouseketeer

Fort Wilderness Cabins worth it for just 2 people?

I have a trip planned in May. We're meeting up with several family members, including my parents who are staying in their camper in Fort Wilderness. When we go to Disney, we usually stay at POR. I thought it might be nice to stay in the cabins, as both we and my parents will be in Fort Wilderness (although the camp sites aren't REAL close to the cabin sites...)

The cabins look great, except they're really laid out for a larger family. For just 2 people, it would probably be overkill. Plus, I understand the beds are all double beds, which look small for people used to queen and king beds. And, we probably wouldn't be doing any cooking, so no real need for the kitchen facilities.

I think I've already talked myself out of the cabins, but what do y'all think? Would the cabins still be worth it for us? Afterall, POR, where we usually stay, is just around the corner from Fort Wilderness, so we're not THAT far away from the parents...

Just looking for opinions! Thanks!
bobbyshawatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
PictureJumpr
At Least 'til it Rains

Yeah, I have to agree - unless it's for a really long trip where the kitchen might be useful, I would skip the cabins for 2 people.

If you're willing to spend the money on the cabin, maybe look into the Wilderness Lodge? Their basic rooms are about the same prices as the cabins, and they are connected to the same boat line as the Ft Wilderness folks...
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
Dis703
DIS Veteran

I could only see using the cabins if you need a kitchen, need the room or love feeling like you are in the middle of nowhere. Mind you we haven't stayed there but we opted out after looking into it and finding out how spread out they are. Enough that people rent golf carts to get around.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Pats Dragon
DIS Veteran

I totally disagree. Every resort creates a different experience. The cabins are listening to the birds wake you up in the morning. Sitting outside at the picnic table watching baby ducks. Enjoying peace and quiet and being close to amenities. Walking over grass instead of asphalt. It really is neat, especially your family there. I would try it.

šOš WDW every year since 1971 šOš
Pats Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Well, I have stayed in the cabins several times as a solo - so I think they are fine for a party of two as well. Even if you don't cook meals, it's nice to have the full size fridge for drinks and for keeping frozen snacks available.

The first question I would ask is - is anyone going to have a car? If so, then it's not so difficult to get together between PO and FW. If not, then getting together could create some challenges, because you would have to go to a park or DTD to get back and forth between them using Disney transport or you would have to rely on taxis. So this would be the main sticking point for me if I were making the decision.

There is a cabin loop, I think it's 2100, that backs up to an RV loop, which sounds like what you need. You might want to consider making those requests if you decide to stay in the cabin. I've never rented a golf cart, and I have found it very easy to get around using the internal bus system or even walking. I've walked from the 2400 loop to the main Meadow pool in less than 15 minutes at a leisurely pace.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyshawatl View Post
I have a trip planned in May. We're meeting up with several family members, including my parents who are staying in their camper in Fort Wilderness. When we go to Disney, we usually stay at POR. I thought it might be nice to stay in the cabins, as both we and my parents will be in Fort Wilderness (although the camp sites aren't REAL close to the cabin sites...)

The cabins look great, except they're really laid out for a larger family. For just 2 people, it would probably be overkill. Plus, I understand the beds are all double beds, which look small for people used to queen and king beds. And, we probably wouldn't be doing any cooking, so no real need for the kitchen facilities.

I think I've already talked myself out of the cabins, but what do y'all think? Would the cabins still be worth it for us? Afterall, POR, where we usually stay, is just around the corner from Fort Wilderness, so we're not THAT far away from the parents...

Just looking for opinions! Thanks!
I disagree. We had two cabins and one campsite and I booked us all and had all of us linked as "traveling with". My dad and stepmother in their trailer were a very short, less than five minute walk from our two cabins.

When we had the cabins, we cooked once and that was the first night and it was on the grill. The rest of the time, we didn't use the kitchen at all (it was us, my son and soon-to-be-daughter in law, and ready made soon-to-be-granddaughter. But it was nice to have all the glassware, plates, etc. and not rely on paper products and plastic cups.

I think it would be more difficult to hook up with your parents at a park since transportation from the campground takes a bit more effort.

But it sounds like you've already made up your mind on what you want to do. And that's entirely up to you - stay closer to your parents and stay where you seem to really want to stay.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Here's another vote to try the Cabins. FW is wonderful. I agree having the kitchen and full size fridge is great. Even if only for breakfast, drinks and snacks. You could order these things delivered to your cabin after you arrive from either wegoshop.com or Garden Grocer. Both are reliable grocery delivery services. Personally I recommend wegoshop.com
I would give it a try!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Kimi313
DIS Veteran

I would definitely try it. We stayed there a few years ago and loved it. Like most of DW resorts it has its own feel that is different. Plus you could even invite your parents over for a cook out or cards around the table. Plus they also have the hay rides, campfire sing-a-longs plus movie with Chip & Dale with smores, petting zoo, bike rentals, canoe rentals, and horseback riding. Or your other family members might want to come over and do the Hoop-de-Do Revue. It is a fun resort and you will leave realizing you didn't do half of it like we did.
Hilton '92, Cont '93, Cont '94, POR '95, Poly Lag '96, Cont Tower '97, Off Site '97,Cont Tower '98, WL '99, Poly '00, Poly '00, ASSp '01, Cont '01, Poly '02, GF '03, Cont Tow '04, WL '05, Poly '06, ASMo '07 Poly '07, ASMo '08, Poly '10, Ft Wilderness '11, Beach Club '12, Beach Club NYE, Cont Tow '13, Cont Tow '14
Kimi313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Jcricket Fan
UConn Basketball Fan

My mother and I stayed in a cabin and liked it very much. She slept in the bedroom and I slept in the living room on the murphy bed.

We only used the kitchen for some breakfasts and some quick fix dinner no big oven use for us.

We enjoyed the privacy of our deck & picnic table. It was nice not having neighbors over and below us for noise. We did rent a golf cart because, well they are fun to drive! We did have a car. The loop we stayed in was right next to a camping loop.

We found the grounds to be very pretty. It was a good experience for us.
Colleen
Old 02-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
bobbyshawatl
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I definitely will end up trying the cabins one day. But, I think I'll wait for a trip I can bring my wife's parents. They're around 70 years old, and never been to Disney! We were planning on taking them on our January trip, but it didn't work out for them.

I think the cabins will be the best option for them. The extra room, the kitchen (when they really don't have the money to eat out at Disney for an entire trip) and having the car right there at the cabin. But, for just my wife and I for our May trip, I think I'll save the money and do POR.

One question I still have is with the bed size. Are the double beds decent enough size for two adults, or will it be elbows and knees hitting all night?
bobbyshawatl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: