Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
pooh2001
been there, done that, TRYING to go back

Question Disney Cruise line - better than other cruise lines ?

No regulations for Cruise lines per the news on TV.
Problems at sea and problems with the ships.

Does Disney have better standards than other cruise lines ?

Better mechanical and engine maintenance than other cruise lines?

Better service and attention to customers than other cruise lines?

How would Disney have handled the mishap on the cruise which was stranded in the Mexican waters for 5 days without electricity, no flushing toilets, little food and fresh water, and allowing guests to consume alcohol ?

We have never cruised, but have thought about it.
Now with the news concentrating on what is wrong with the cruise industry, we may just stay on land for our vacations.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Perhaps posting on a DCL related site will result in skewed responses.

We've cruised other lines. We found some things to be better than on DCL and some things to be not as good.

Anything said about how DCL might have handled the situation encountered by the Carnival Triumph would be just speculation. The biggest problem we've encountered with DCL in emergency weather situations (when Port Canaveral was closed by a hurricane) was accurate and timely communication. The local news stations in Florida (we were already at WDW) were more accurate than the info from phone calls to DCL.

We know what they've done in weather situations, an engine failure, and a "thermal anomaly" translation engine fire on the Magic.

If you are not sure. maybe on land is better......but we aren't changing our cruise plans.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

do you drive?

do you ride in cars?

it's dangerous out there on the roads...
Old 02-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

There is really no way to objectively measure these things without detailed inside information from the various cruise lines. But the only thing that really matters is our perceptions of DCL and other lines. And our perceptions of a company are based on many factors including personal experiences, what we've read, what our friends and family said about their experiences, etc. My sister cruised on Carnival and based on what she told me about her cruise experience I will never cruise with them. Is that 'fair'? Don't know, don't care.

We have had great experiences on DCL so, given a choice, we will choose DCL. I see no reason to risk our vacation experimenting with other cruise lines.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

You should dig up the prior thread where DCL cruised back through the storm while the other cruise lines sailed around the storm (was it Sandy? can't remember). Then draw your own conclusions.

I do think the handling of this kind of special scenario (like the Carnival incident) is really a case by case basis. There is no precedent for Disney, so who knows?
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
You should dig up the prior thread where DCL cruised back through the storm while the other cruise lines sailed around the storm (was it Sandy? can't remember). Then draw your own conclusions.

I do think the handling of this kind of special scenario (like the Carnival incident) is really a case by case basis. There is no precedent for Disney, so who knows?
I don't see the relevance of a captain's weather call. The was solely the call of the captain of the ship....just like the Costa Cordia sinking and death of 31 people was the fault of the captain.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
tajz90
Mama D

Disney wasn't the only ship to have encounter bad sailing conditions with Sandy. Carnival did too. There were a barrage of complaints posted on Carnivals Facebook page about it. That being said, Disney didn't sail through the storm. The seas are tremendously rough and unpredictable when a storm is near.

In my opinion, yes, Disney is better than the lines we have sailed on.

We sailed on NCL once and will never again. We have also sailed Carnival and Royal. We prefer Disney. Our children are older. We don't sail for the characters. We just like the atmosphere and service.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
I don't see the relevance of a captain's weather call. The was solely the call of the captain of the ship....just like the Costa Cordia sinking and death of 31 people was the fault of the captain.
The relevance is in your own statement. The captain's call affects the safety of the passengers.

So I don't think DCL is necessarily better than the other cruise lines. It is a case by case basis, based on the incident. Like I said in my prior post.

And Disney DID sail through the storm. I don't have time but if you search for it, it made the news and people were video-ing the tilt of the ship, etc. Other cruise lines decided not to sail through the storm. Like I said in my previous post, I don't recall the storm--was it Sandy ? Who knows. It was the one where the video of the Disney ship made CNN.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
tajz90
Mama D

Same thing happened on Carnival. People were falling on decks. Furniture was sliding all over. Same thing.

Yes it was Sandy.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
pooh2001

lawsuits for cruises - no Federal fines

For airlines there is the FAA - Federal Aviation Board.
They check airline reliability, issues with flights, error made, why a flight crashed, etc, Regulations for commercial planes and all who work for the airlines, plus private planes too I think.
If a commercial airline has a malfunction not caused by anything natural - then the airline must fix the problem and sometimes gets a fine for their error.

Cruises - No such organization that I know of, such as a "Cruise Lookout Board" ... No Federal fines - just Court appearances and lawsuits !

From what I can tell from hearing the Carnival passengers on the news, not accepting the $500 and reimbursement of their cruise payment, I think they are going to do a Class Action Lawsuit against Carnival Cruise Line for physical & possibly mental distress during their 5 day ordeal on the boat. It could cost Carnival millions of dollars and make some attorney's happy with their fees.

Plus some Cruise Lines are not headquartered in the USA. Some come out of European countries or other places in the World, and the USA can not regulate them.

What are your thoughts?
Old 02-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh2001 View Post
They check airline reliability, issues with flights, error made, why a flight crashed, etc, Regulations for commercial planes and all who work for the airlines, plus private planes too I think.
If a commercial airline has a malfunction not caused by anything natural - then the airline must fix the problem and sometimes gets a fine for their error.

Cruises - No such organization that I know of, such as a "Cruise Lookout Board" ... No Federal fines - just Court appearances and lawsuits !

From what I can tell from hearing the Carnival passengers on the news, not accepting the $500 and reimbursement of their cruise payment, I think they are going to do a Class Action Lawsuit against Carnival Cruise Line for physical & possibly mental distress during their 5 day ordeal on the boat. It could cost Carnival millions of dollars and make some attorney's happy with their fees.

Plus some Cruise Lines are not headquartered in the USA. Some come out of European countries or other places in the World, and the USA can not regulate them.

What are your thoughts?
People have been suing airlines, cruiselines, buslines, trainlines for eternity...my thoughts are things happen from time to time...what happened on Carnival will not keep me from cruising them or any other line.

Want to read what happens on cruiseline? there is a website which keeps track of "events" at sea.

www.cruisejunkie.com

If you don't want to cruise now you surely won't after reading that site.

That said...not sure what you are looking for as far as answers. You are on a cruise planning forum and the majority of people on this board have cruised several times. I would guess the majority do feel DCL is safer...perceived or not my guess is that they do. The points above are well known. Many are still anxious to cruise...it is a wonderful vacation

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
pooh2001

cruisejunkie dot com
Can only collect data - not fine cruise lines or regulate them.
I think we need a cruise line organization.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

You can't get a 'cruise line organization' analogous to the FAA because these vessels aren't flagged in the US. The feds don't have jurisdiction over cruise ships.

I suppose they could place all kinds of conditions on being able to dock at a US port--or even ban foreign flagged passenger vessels from operating in US waters--but that would destroy the cruise industry, or at least restrict it to the 'if you have to ask you can't afford it' price range.
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
jayteadunn
Earning My Ears

Interesting thread. In watching the carnival fiasco. It looks like if they had functional rest rooms then they could have been able to handle the rest of the challenges better

I'd be very interested to know what burned what was lost and what backups carnival had. The. I'd love to know what Disney has on their ships for backup.

If the public restrooms around the ship (not cabin ones) had the ability to work on backup generator the world would have been a much better place.
jayteadunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
BrettW
Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh2001

What are your thoughts?
Ain't gonna happen.

Not a US flagged ship. US laws don't apply.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: