Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #16
threewilmingtonwalls
DIS Veteran

Ugh - I just got over the flu, and it is the WORST! If you can get DD to a clinic today, as others have said, you should. Tamiflu should be started within the first 48 hours. As for the prophylactic use, our doc wouldn't give it to DH & DD and they were fine.

We sail in 13 days and DH hasn't had a flu shot. I called doctor's office yesterday to make sure they still had shots before sending DH in to get one. Nurse said yes, but the doctor called me back 10 minutes later and said DH should not get the shot. He said that hubby's exposure to me while I had flu was a better immune booster than the shot, and that the shot might actually suppress his system enough to allow him to pick up some other bug. (Sorry, long post!) The point is, hopefully by following all precautions as you are doing, the rest of your fam will stay healthy and have even better natural protection when you sail!

Good luck and hope your DD gets to feeling better quickly!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #17
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

What a nightmare, I would suggest going to a urgent care and getting everyone on tamiflu as quickly as possible. Our cruise is march 9th and my family all got their flu shots a month ago fearing that sickness could happen
joelnkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #18
deserrai
DIS Veteran

As far as incubation, we all had the flu this year. DD3 was exposed on Tuesday and came down with symptoms on Friday or Saturday. I came down with it the day after her and her father came down the day after that. We were sick for about 5 days.

deserrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #19
ekatiel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingd_awn View Post
i made an appointment to get the tamiflu for us all. The secretary said you have to have the flu to take tamiflu, which is crap. On their website, it even says it can prevent it. The night before she woke up sick, we were all playing the game of Life. So im wondering what the incubation period is ? Our appt is on monday. Im hoping everything works out. Weve been looking forward to this trip for a year, even my 4yr old is nervous.
As others have said, don't wait until Monday. You can go to a minute clinic type place-- check your local CVS, Walgreens, even our local grocery store has one. They should be able to get you all Tamiflu TODAY. If you wait, then you may actually get the flu between now and Monday, then your chances of being fever free to board the cruise go way down. Good luck! --Katie
Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #20
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtabux View Post
I would ask the Dr. to put your whole family on Tamiflu. I have heard some will do it and considering your circumstances, hopefully they will work with you.
This is what we did a few years ago when at WDW. I woke up with the flu on Eastern Sunday - went to emergency doc. They gave me and the rest of my crew Tamiful. I was better in 24 hours and thankfully nobody else caught it. Good luck!

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #21
castaway cajun
Earning My Ears

I second the Emergen-C recommendation! Make everyone in the house drink it twice a day! It works! Hope she feels better!
castaway cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #22
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

You are contagious for days after you no longer have a fever and start feeling better from the flu. Please double check with the doctor about the specific flu your DD has to make sure that she isn't still contagious when you are suppose to get on the ship.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #23
Smiley2411
Earning My Ears

Quote:
i made an appointment to get the tamiflu for us all. The secretary said you have to have the flu to take tamiflu, which is crap. On their website, it even says it can prevent it. The night before she woke up sick, we were all playing the game of Life. So im wondering what the incubation period is ? Our appt is on monday. Im hoping everything works out. Weve been looking forward to this trip for a year, even my 4yr old is nervous.
Yep, I had the Flu and my doctor who doesn't even see my husband or my 9 year old with asthma prescribed the 10 day round of Tamiflu for both of them. He thought my 6 year old would be ok. Get the Tamiflu and your daughter will be feeling better for sure.

My son's allergies and asthma have been awful, so we brought him to the doctor and my husband was told something about 14 days you are still contagious (he told the doc I had the flu the week pryer)Crazy!!!

Smiley2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #24
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

#1 Monday is too late for even your DD to get the Tamiflu if she is already symptomatic.
#2 The secretary is not quaified to give medical advice.

I would either call and ask have the doctor call you back today so they can call in prescriptions for your family or, as others have suggested, go to an urgent care center asap.

Good luck!

MaleficentRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #25
moore523
Mouseketeer

You can definitely try Tamiflu for everyone! I've heard that it helps alot--even BEFORE getting the flu.

Homeopathic wise, if you go for that, lol, Emergen-C, oscillococcinum, and horseradish!

Walt Disney World "Family of 4" Vacations
August 2010
September 2011
March 2012
August 2013
April 2014

Disney's Vero Beach Resort
October 2012

Disney Cruise Line
April 2013
September 2014
moore523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #26
breakingd_awn
DIS Veteran

Well, we went to urgent care. They tested her for influenza, it was negative. Doc said prob noroviris. She said just lysol and bleach everything,which i have been doing like a maniac along with wiping everything down with clorox wipes. Hopefully i can prevent everyone else from getting it. In a way noroviris is worse cause they dont have tamiflu for that. We just have to hope it doesnt spread through us all.?
2011 "DREAMin" for 5 days
2010 Our first "WONDERful" cruise
Shipmates:MeDH
DD(18)DD(16)
DD(11)DD(5)

breakingd_awn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #27
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Norovirus is worse than the flu. The bacteria lasts for weeks on surfaces. Hope no one else in your family catches it.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #28
tessa67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Well, we went to urgent care. They tested her for influenza, it was negative. Doc said prob noroviris. She said just lysol and bleach everything,which i have been doing like a maniac along with wiping everything down with clorox wipes. Hopefully i can prevent everyone else from getting it. In a way noroviris is worse cause they dont have tamiflu for that. We just have to hope it doesnt spread through us all.?
Ugh, I am just getting over this myself. I got sick 5 days after DD. But no fever and it ran its course in 24 hours.

Wishing the best for you all.
tessa67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #29
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Glad you went to urgent care instead of waiting. Lysol, bleach, wash your hands change your towels and toothbrushes, stay well rested and hydrated and hope for the best. Good luck!

MaleficentRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #30
moore523
Mouseketeer

How is everyone doing?! Hopefully ok!!!

Walt Disney World "Family of 4" Vacations
August 2010
September 2011
March 2012
August 2013
April 2014

Disney's Vero Beach Resort