Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #31
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizney73 View Post
We love DCL because they are great for the kids! However, we are not DCL exclusive. Itinerary drives us most of the time. But we have taken cruises just for the ship. Honestly, the Disney Fantasy is a vacation in itself... no ports needed!
that's my view of the allure of the seas....
i really couldn't care less where it visits
Old 02-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #32
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

We have taken many cruises and have always chosen destination first along with scheduling. Since we've basically been all over the Caribbean this is the first time we've chosen ship (fantasy) as our top priority and we can't wait! Actually looking forward to not feeling the pressure of planning something in each port and just doing what we want.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #33
BLTisforME
Headed to Orlando.... again!

If its a warm weather trip:
1) date
2) ship
3) ports of call

If its a destination driven (Europe, Alaska)
1) cost
2) ship
3) date
BLTisforME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #34
kiford
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleophus12 View Post
We have taken many cruises and have always chosen destination first along with scheduling. Since we've basically been all over the Caribbean this is the first time we've chosen ship (fantasy) as our top priority and we can't wait! Actually looking forward to not feeling the pressure of planning something in each port and just doing what we want.
That's why we chose 3/4 B2B on the Dream to the Bahamas last December. I could care less about the ports but I wanted to try out the ship. Sometimes we pick an intinerary because we get more days at sea but this last time was very specifically about that particular ship. So we spent a lot of time just moving from place to place on the ship doing nothing in particular and just spending time together. Loved it.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #35
WeLoveDisneyAlways
DIS Veteran

It's about the departure port and cost for us. We have chosen the dream yet again it's right in the middle I like that we can do disney world as well.
Coronado Springs Resort Disney World - March 2003; Atlantis Bahamas - Sept 2004; Bellagio Las Vegas - Jan 2007; Sandals Montego Bay Jamaica - Jan 2008; Pop Century Disney World - Sept 2008; Pop Century, Disney World - Jan 2009; Atlantis Bahamas - Jan 2010; All Star Movies Disney World - May 2010; Caribbean Beach Resort Disney World - Jan 2011; Bay Lake Towers Disney World, Disney Dream Cruise, Coronado Springs Disney World - Jan 2012 ; Art of Animation Resort Disney World Jan 2013 ; Coronado Springs - Disney World, Disney Dream, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Disney World Jan 2014
WeLoveDisneyAlways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #36
LisaHK
Mouseketeer

We are doing the Med cruise and we have travelled to that area 20+ times for summer vacations so it is all about the ship rather than the ports.

We would have rather cruised from Port Canaveral but the $6000 airfare is just too much.
Disneyland Paris - 1992 (opening week), 93,94,97,98,01,02,05,06,07,08,10,11 & 12
WDW- 2001.
DCL (Magic) - August 2013, Dover to Barcelona August 2015
LisaHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #37
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
If we have young kids going, then we usually go with whatever they want. Can you tell the kids are grandkids?:rotfl2:
Took about two seconds to figure it out.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #38
amystevekai&bump
DIS Veteran

When we first cruised there were only the magic and the wonder, and we just chose the itineraries that fitted in with our dates and the length of time we wanted to spare away from our Wdw vacations! Since our first three cruises its been all about the itineraries.

We are in the Uk, so the flights to Barcelona are so much cheaper for us than coming to the States, so in 2011 we did our first med and loved the ports so much that we have booked back to back meds this summer. Finally, two days ago we booked the southern Caribbean cruise as I have been waiting so long to go to st Lucia and Antigua with DCL.

Because it tends to be the classic ships that visit more exciting (for us) destinations at the moment, we have still yet to try the Dream or the Fantasy, and whilst they continue to sail from port canaveral to their 'usual' ports, I doubt we'll get to try them

NEXT TRIPS: August 2015 - Aulani and Disneyland / Aug 2016 - Portofino/BLT/Jambo

Between Oct 1979 & Dec 2013 - approx 27 trips (including Bay Lake Towers, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo & Kidani, Beach club villas, Grand Floridian Villas, Contemporary Resort, Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach Resort, Coronado Springs, All Stars Sports, off site hotels (inc Royal Pacific, Portofino, Hard Rock hotel!!) and villas)

PLUS - Disney Cruises x 6, Disney's Vero Beach resort, DLP x 10 visits & Disneyland California x 1 visit - And our 1998 Disney Wedding at the Wedding Pavillion!!
amystevekai&bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #39
ktmo
Mouseketeer

I am a teacher and vacation is dictated by spring break. So, I look and see what we can do that week without missing any days of school.
June 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort
March 2013 - 4 nights on the Dream
October 2013 - Art of Animation
ktmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #40
pequele
Some people think they are cool because they can hide behind a screen! Don't choke on it!

For our first DCL I picked port because I decided to split up a WDW stay with a short cruise (3 nights). That basically meant PC for us. Sure we could have done a 7 night but it will be my 4yo's first cruise so I wanted to see how he would do first.

Being a 3 night out of PC that meant the Dream.

Now with that being said, and the fact that we have yet to take that trip (it is in May), I have already picked our next trip and I did that based on destination. I want to see either Alaska or Europe (via cruise since I have been there on land). Alaska won out and this the ship was the Wonder.

I would have to say that overall for me it would be the destination that is my 1st choice but at the same time possibly the convenience of port could over rule that.

DL: '77,'88,'89,'90,'98, 2/12-WDW:CBR-pirate room, 12/12: AKV-Kidani , 5/13 AKV-Jambo and Kidani split with a DCL 3 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream, 10/13 AKV-Kidani, 5/14 Alaskan 9 Night Cruise on the Wonder 10/14 B2B 4 nighters on the Dream including a double dip at Castaway Cay 7/15 Baltic 12 Nighter including Germany
pequele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #41
mstee777
Mouseketeer

I first pick the timing. Then I pick the departure port. Neither the ship or ports of call make too much of a difference as long as it is DCL. I know we will get Disney class service on all 4 ships (although I have not yet cruised the dream).
mstee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #42
rantnnravin
Whaddya mean there's no room in the suitcase? YOU CAN LAND A PLANE IN THERE!!

I teach so priorities are:

1. Date
2. Price

rantnnravin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #43
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaHK View Post
We are doing the Med cruise and we have travelled to that area 20+ times for summer vacations so it is all about the ship rather than the ports.

We would have rather cruised from Port Canaveral but the $6000 airfare is just too much.
i have us reserved on the magic out of barcelona in 2014, but i've been having second thoughts about the cost...
the price i'm paying for a 4 night cruise on the magic is much more than the cost of a 7 night med cruise on a different cruise line (rccl, and all the other similar lines)...

i have time to think about it...
Old 02-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #44
yarlenna
Mouseketeer

Please be aware that there are NO GUARANTEES about any port. If you really want to go to a specific port, fly there. You could enjoy days enjoying the port as long as you want/pay for.
yarlenna is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: