Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #16
bxccah
Ch-Ch-Ch-ChipnDale!

Thank you all so much for your lovely replies! Yes, I'm going with my mum and my sister. The plan is mainly for my mother to stay with my niece whilst me and my sister go on the more adventurous rides like RnR, ToT etc. Mum reckons we should have a word with guest services and let them know I might have to leave lines quite suddenly if an attack comes on, but I hopefully will be fine! I'll definitely avoid Mission Space then, it sounds like a nightmare! Not too keen on that sort of thing anyway, I get motion sick easily. Also I heard that there's a virtual rollercoaster type thing at DisneyQuest that's similar to the motions of Mission Space- I'll avoid that too!

I hope I'll be able to just enjoy myself. I love Disney, and the Disney music tends to calm me down when things get bad because its happy memories of my childhood. I've learnt over the years that as long as I'm confident and don't stress too badly, other people don't tend to notice too much. We arrive at Orlando around 2pm, so that'll give me time to find a quiet spot in our resort and Epcot (where we're having dinner that night) so that'll reassure me!

Again, thank you all so much, all of your answers have been so kind and helpful, and it's stopped me worrying so much. I know as soon as I see that castle, all my worries will go :D

Currently at Disney World! All Star Sports, 9/4 - 9/25
bxccah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #17
gusdmh
Mouseketeer

Hi!
All these folks have excellent suggestions and experiences.
I would suggest to also take advantage of the Fast Pass and extended park openings or closings. They make for quicker access to the rides.
Also, you may not want to wait till the end for park closings. It's an experience seeing thousands of people leaving the park at once. It makes for 'herding' experience. I think you'll do fine.
Gus
gusdmh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 12:48 AM   #18
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Something that I have discovered about people - if they are going to mind your business, they will always find a reason. I have had lots of comments made about my mobility devices or braces, but before that people made comments about me holding hands with my girlfriend or wife, or my haircut or hair color, or nail color, or how fast or slow I was walking, or whether I unloaded my cart fast enough in a grocery store.

Do not let other people who feel the need to comment on your business bother you. They will find some reason to be unpleasant, even if you wore long sleeves every minute of every day. Since they are always unpleasant, their words are irrelevant, and have nothing they have to say counts. Why listen to unpleasant strangers?

What matters is what the people you love say. If people who know you support you, strangers matter very little.

I say this as someone who has a lifelong severe anxiety disorder, panic attacks, and a former cutter. I have not cut in more than 7 years, so believe me when I say you can make it. Just take it one day at a time and you can make it.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #19
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxccah View Post
Thank you all so much for your lovely replies! Yes, I'm going with my mum and my sister. The plan is mainly for my mother to stay with my niece whilst me and my sister go on the more adventurous rides like RnR, ToT etc. Mum reckons we should have a word with guest services and let them know I might have to leave lines quite suddenly if an attack comes on, but I hopefully will be fine! I'll definitely avoid Mission Space then, it sounds like a nightmare! Not too keen on that sort of thing anyway, I get motion sick easily. Also I heard that there's a virtual rollercoaster type thing at DisneyQuest that's similar to the motions of Mission Space- I'll avoid that too!

I hope I'll be able to just enjoy myself. I love Disney, and the Disney music tends to calm me down when things get bad because its happy memories of my childhood. I've learnt over the years that as long as I'm confident and don't stress too badly, other people don't tend to notice too much. We arrive at Orlando around 2pm, so that'll give me time to find a quiet spot in our resort and Epcot (where we're having dinner that night) so that'll reassure me!

Again, thank you all so much, all of your answers have been so kind and helpful, and it's stopped me worrying so much. I know as soon as I see that castle, all my worries will go :D

You said that Disney music calms you down. Do you have something that you can carry with you that you can download that music to to listen to when you start feeling stressed? Maybe if it was on a continuous type loop in one ear it would make things easier for you to deal with.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #20
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxccah View Post
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and my first trip to Disney World is in exactly a week!

I'm 18 and I'm suffering from mental health issues like severe social anxiety, self harm and panic attacks. I'm determined not to let social anxiety get in the way of my enjoyment. But I do tend to be prone to panic attacks and queues don't *normally* trigger me unless there is something overly stressful. In these situations, would I be wise to alert a CM that I may need to leave a queue/ride loading area promptly and without being around too many people?

I know anxiety doesn't seem like a big deal, but for me, it feels like all the physical symptoms of choking, a heart attack and feeling sick and faint all at once- it's awful and I'm worried i will have an attack!

Also, my arms are scarred from self harm. I'm actually not bothered by it- I've had the scars since I was 11 and I'm used to people staring at getting nasty comments. I'm just aware of how there will be a lot of children and I don't want any patents to think its wrong of me to wear a tee shirt exposing scars. (Faded, healed scars-no fresh cuts at all, haven't cut in over 4 months)

If you're a parent, how would it make you feel if you were around an overweight teen with scarred arms? I'm going with my 3 year old niece and she's never even asked, but she's grown up knowing auntie Becca has days where she is poorly and has to go to the hospital.

Sorry for the long post!
I don't mean any disrespect, but seriously if you have all the above issues, then Disney world Is not a place you should be going --- sorry. Stay home.
Your scarred arms, and overweight are the very least of my concerns too by the way.
Swirly girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #21
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Go and Enjoy yourself and dont worry about anyone but YOU!

Be proud of who you are and how far youve come...
One Day at a Time ......
Pixie Dust Your Way
Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #22
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
Something that I have discovered about people - if they are going to mind your business, they will always find a reason. I have had lots of comments made about my mobility devices or braces, but before that people made comments about me holding hands with my girlfriend or wife, or my haircut or hair color, or nail color, or how fast or slow I was walking, or whether I unloaded my cart fast enough in a grocery store.

Do not let other people who feel the need to comment on your business bother you. They will find some reason to be unpleasant, even if you wore long sleeves every minute of every day. Since they are always unpleasant, their words are irrelevant, and have nothing they have to say counts. Why listen to unpleasant strangers?

What matters is what the people you love say. If people who know you support you, strangers matter very little.

I say this as someone who has a lifelong severe anxiety disorder, panic attacks, and a former cutter. I have not cut in more than 7 years, so believe me when I say you can make it. Just take it one day at a time and you can make it.
What a kind and selfless thing to do...to throw it all out there and offer support to the OP..Its people like you that make me SMILE, so thanks!
And congrats to you too....
Old 02-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #23
bxccah
Ch-Ch-Ch-ChipnDale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1tinkfans
Go and Enjoy yourself and dont worry about anyone but YOU!

Be proud of who you are and how far youve come...
One Day at a Time ......
Pixie Dust Your Way
Thank you so much!! Really lovely message

Old 02-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #24
bxccah
Ch-Ch-Ch-ChipnDale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly girls

I don't mean any disrespect, but seriously if you have all the above issues, then Disney world Is not a place you should be going --- sorry. Stay home.
Your scarred arms, and overweight are the very least of my concerns too by the way.
Well I didn't actually book it- I'm my mothers youngest child so she still thinks of me as her baby, she booked it as a surprise for me and my little niece. I'm hoping ill be okay, I do tend to over think and worry way too much anyway. I'm sure I'll be fine. Thanks

Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #25
calnmace
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly girls View Post
You absolutely SHOULD go!! Disney is the perfect place to escape the everyday stress and hardships that we have to face. I swear tons of pressure comes off my back the minute I walk through those gates. It's magical, and I say this being prone to anxiety myself. I just pace myself, don't rush, enjoy the little things. You will have a great time. I bet your little niece will be so happy to have you there too!

Sending hugs your way, hope you have an amazing time!!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #26
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly girls View Post
While you are completely entitled to your opinion, I have to say that in MY opinion, you are wrong. She absolutely should go.

First of all, Disney is an escape from real life and can actually be rather liberating for those with anxiety and panic disorders. If she prepares and paces properly, she will do just fine.

Second, just how often is she supposed to "stay home?" Whenever there might be crowds or uncomfortable situations? Or does a person with those disorders just do the requirements, to avoid uncomfortable or possible triggering situations... does that mean she never goes anywhere fun ever?

And how is she supposed to learn to cope if she just "stays home."

I have, or had, all the same conditions at one point in my life (including nearly ending up in a psych ward when I was 18), and I not only go to Disney, I go so much I ended up a moderator on the DIS!

I think the OP, with proper preparation and knowledge, absolutely should go. I think she will have a wonderful time.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #27
SpiritedHaunts
Mouseketeer

Well, as someone currently surviving with nearly all the same issues as you have mentioned and with a very late actual diagnose I have to say that you should defiantly go and have fun knowing that your family obviously cares and wants you to experience fun.

There are things I can never do do to my illness but I sure as heck can revel in my joys just as much as the nt people are allowed. As anyone with these illnesses can attest the last thing you need is to stay at home and worry and be miserable and stay away from what drives you.

Disney is one of, if not the, biggest joys and escapes for me. So much so that I have been able to take solo trips.

Have fun and remember to breathe.
SpiritedHaunts is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: