Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #31
CoolPool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans

Your trip would be ruined because you didn't get the view that you wanted for the very few waking hours you'd spend in your room? Really?

I can imagine a passing few moments of irritation, but geez louize, minor in the grand scheme of things, yes?
Count me with the people who would be truly inconvenienced by a view downgrade. Not everyone spends few waking hours in their room. Some of us find Disney only bearable if we get away from the parks for long breaks. If I book a savannah or lagoon view and pay that upgrade I expect to see said view every time I drink my coffee in the morning. Every time I take a sanity break and every time I enjoy a cocktail in the evening.
CoolPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #32
dalayney
Mouseketeer

Right now we're a week out and haven't been to disney in 8 years. I don't care if they stick us in a broom closet, I'll be so happy to just be there!~

Wow, that sounds pathetic, doesn't it....

January 2005 offsite
January 2007 ALL STAR MOVIES
Febuary/March 2013 ALL STAR SPORTS
Planning our first ever "no kids" WDW trip December 2015~
dalayney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #33
softballmom3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalayney View Post
Right now we're a week out and haven't been to disney in 8 years. I don't care if they stick us in a broom closet, I'll be so happy to just be there!~

Love it! That's funny! I, too, wouldn't sweat it for this next trip because one of the nights I have added to our trip is @ POR garden view....If I got there and had been put in a standard view and given a refund that's fine with me.

Now in the case of the refund having to be practically "begged" for, that would irritate me and it is bad business. No one should have to do that for their error.

1977 Heck...I don't remember, I was 4 .
2002 Holiday Inn Family Suites (Nick hotel now)
2007 Pop Century
2010 Windsor Hills
2011 POR
2013 Wilderness Lodge/POR/CSR
2013 Pop Century
2014 POFQ
softballmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #34
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Quote:

No

I'd be perfectly happy even if the view wasn't what I had hoped for

I do understand that it's more than an inconvenience for those who need preferred rooms due to have a physically challenged person in their party.

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #35
karly05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
You stayed in my favorite building! I like to stay deluxe but if I go moderate it's POFQ building 5!

I have been upgraded, never downgraded. But then again I only pay for standard view. I would be fine moving categories within a resort. I would not be very happy though if I had to change resorts, which I have read about on here.
I was pleased by how much I loved POFQ (esp. being kind of a Beach Club Snob coming in, ha ha). Agreed that I would not have wanted to switch resorts, unless they wanted to upgrade me to YC/BC or GF or something, ha ha. I chose POFQ for the compact layout and charming atmosphere, and would not have wanted to switch to another mod or value. And I really really wouldn't have wanted one of the "remote" DVCs like Saratoga or Key West, no matter how nice.
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #36
Monorail Bob's dd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoutandabout View Post
I had the worst "Garden View" view on our last stay at YC. Though, because there were trees (albeit dead ones) between us and the bus stop, I guess that counts as garden.

(Mind you, I love YC and we didn't care since we weren't in the room often enough to mind... though I can imagine people probably would complain about that particular room and its supposed "garden" category.)
I believe this is the view we had at the YC on our trip in August - we were facing the front walkway with the bus stop and our "garden" view included a very ugly tree and a small crane as they were doing some work. Pretty crummy garden view, definitely felt like it should have been a standard view.

Poly - '80, '84, '91, CR - '87, '88, BW Villas - '97, POFQ - '07, Marriott Grand Vista - '09, CSR - '10
BWI CL - '11, Yacht Club - '12, AKL - March, 2013, Poly - August, 2013
Monorail Bob's dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #37
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

I'm shocked by the experiences a few people have posted on this thread of being downgraded, uninformed of it, and then having to request to be refunded the price difference. The one thing to me that sets Disney apart from competitors is their exceptional customer service, so how the CMs handled these situations is what surprised me. I realize mistakes happen, and if we were to be downgraded, I would be disappointed and a little bummed but at the end of the day I'd quickly get over it because I'd be thrilled to just be at Disney. But to have to ask to be credited back the price difference, that's absolutely wrong. That is what would rub me wrong.
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #38
Blackbeltdisneygirl
Disney obsessed and proud of it!!!

We were at CBR in September, and there was a problem with our room bc there was mold on the walls and my whole family has breathing issues and can't be around mold. We were told by the dude in charge that they couldn't downgrade us. They were only allowed to upgrade us. He said if they couldn't move things around and get us something there, they would upgrade us to a deluxe. They ended up being able to put us in Jamaica, and the walk was short and gorgeous, so I was happy. I would have loved being put in a deluxe, but was very happy with our location and the fastpass they gave us. I may still write to Disney though bc we lost half a day sorting it out and between that and the airline changing my brother's flight, he only got a couple hours at Epcot, his favorite park. That was very sad for us. I would be very upset to be downgraded. I didn't read the whole thread, so is this only happening at values? Like I said, our dude said he wasn't allowed to downgrade us, and we were at a moderate.

2010: POR 7 days, 2011 split stay: POR 4 days CSR 7 days, 2012: CBR 12 days, 2013: POR 9 days, 2014: 12-14 days AoA???
Blackbeltdisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #39
Blackbeltdisneygirl
Disney obsessed and proud of it!!!

Quote:

It doesn't sound pathetic.
I always say I would sleep on the ground at Disney. However, it would bug me if I paid for something, got downgraded, then had to wait for a refund. At least refund me asap so I can spend it AT Disney!!! I have feet issues, so I need a room location close to the food, so I pay extra for that. It would be bad for me to be shoved way in the back of the resort having to hoof it in pain.

2010: POR 7 days, 2011 split stay: POR 4 days CSR 7 days, 2012: CBR 12 days, 2013: POR 9 days, 2014: 12-14 days AoA???
Blackbeltdisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #40
pl4bby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee

A few years ago we were downgraded at Pop. I paid for a preferred view, but was given a standard view. If I hadn't known where the preferred rooms were, the CM was not even going to tell me. When I mentioned it, he nonchalantly said, "Oh yes, you did book a preferred room. Sorry, we're overbooked, so had to put you in a standard. That happens alot." He then just kept on checking us in, like it wasn't a big deal. When I told him, I wanted the price difference refunded then, he gave a giant sigh, told me a manager would have to be called, they were all busy, and did I really want to go to that much trouble since the price difference for a week really wasn't all that much. When I told him what I actually wanted was the room I paid for, but if that was not possible, at least wanted the price difference refunded, he finally got a manager over there to approve it. We were defintely downgraded, not upgraded. I had booked a preferred room because I had my elderly mom with me and wanted her to be close to the food court and buses. We didn't get the room we paid for and had to argue to even get the price difference refunded.
I would have freaked on that horrible cm. Hope you got his name and reported his attitude. You paid for something and was not receiving it, who wouldn't expect their money back?
pl4bby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #41
pl4bby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeltdisneygirl
It doesn't sound pathetic.
I always say I would sleep on the ground at Disney. However, it would bug me if I paid for something, got downgraded, then had to wait for a refund. At least refund me asap so I can spend it AT Disney!!! I have feet issues, so I need a room location close to the food, so I pay extra for that. It would be bad for me to be shoved way in the back of the resort having to hoof it in pain.
Disney wouldn't let you sleep on the ground. Doesn't look good for their image.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #42
sachilles
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl4bby View Post
Disney wouldn't let you sleep on the ground. Doesn't look good for their image.
Sure they would....in the campground. Not for free mind you.
sachilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #43
gilesmt
DIS Veteran

I would be disappointed but I have to say, I may be one of the reasons someone else maybe downgraded, so I thought I would share to let others know why a downgrade may happen. This was back in the days that Disney did not accommodate blind and before a device called trekker came out.

I am legally blind, my dd has cerebral palsy, my other dd has something between the lines of aspergers and BiPolor, and grand d was a preemie baby. When DD's were teens and grand was baby under two this happened several times.

Once in wdw we were at POR, it started pouring out and we headed back. Once I stepped on the bus and had the carriage the teens got back on bus and took off. Here I was with a preemie who was maybe a year old so looked a lot smaller, and myself with carriage and bags and cane. Trying to find my way back to the mansions. I made it over to the mansion, but could not find a way up with carriage and cane up stairs to find the elevator. Finally after what seemed like hours and a lot of swearing, a guest helped me back to the main office, they changed my room to what I now know is a preferred room,the closet of all the rooms to the food court and bus in building 14. It never dawned on me then that I may have taken a room away from someone else and they never told me or charged me any extra.

Yes you can blame my kids, but they were like 15 and 17 a little immature and thought why not go back to the park.

On two occassions I was upgraded at DL, both times I think it was due to my visual impairment. The first time was when they had to close one building, the main one had electrical problems so they were trying to get everyone to other rooms and we were not checked in but I got a call, they could not give my request to have two different rooms in two different buildings, we were traveling with ex husband and sometimes we need not to be right on top of each other. Since one room was for the blind with a request in dream, and the other was a request for an acess able room, my ex is a vet with a cane. The only way they could accommodate us was to put us in concierge, would that be okay. I told them yes but not sure we could afford both rooms at a higher price and we were due in in 2 hours, he told us it would be free to us, or he could place us in two standard rooms at the grand but they would be connecting. We took the rooms at the grand this time, I doubt we kicked anyone out they were standard rooms but and it was not a busy time.

Another time was at DL when trekker first came out. When they knew I would be using one and asked them if someone would give me a tour to get it set up, they were excited and worked with me very well. They upgraded me, but I also gave them the knowledge of the new system and how it worked. A trekker is a GPS system that blind people can use. Once set in, it will tell me to walk, 10 ft to elevator, twenty ft to door, three ft to pool gate, I just tell it were I want to go. So I got upgraded and Disney got a CM with knowledge of trekker so they hopefully will be able to help the next guest who is blind. Again I doubt I kicked anyone out this time, they had knowledge before hand I was coming.
gilesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #44
pl4bby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachilles

Sure they would....in the campground. Not for free mind you.
Touche lol
Old 02-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #45
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
My Dad taught me many years ago that life isn't fair. I taught my kids this as well.
I would be upset, but I wouldn't stress about whether it was fair to me.
Neither would I "demand" relief, but rather work with the CM's to reach resolution.
I don't feel this applies here. If you pay "extra" for something, you should get what you pay for. If you are ok with accepting something less than what you paid for, more power to you. I can't imagine that most people would just "let it go" because "life isn't fair", in this particular instance. I mean, I know you said you'd work with CMs to reach a resolution, but we have at least one poster here for whom that didn't work, and she was still billed for the upgraded room anyway.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: