Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #31
2010_Bride
DIS Veteran

I'll be watching this thread closely. My husband and I took the Epcot Segway tour two years ago on our Disneymoon and loved it!! We were planning to do it again when we head back to the World in October.

2010_Bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #32
Ltl Mermaid
Spreading Disney Magic with the push of a button

I still have not received a call canceling our May Segway tour in Epcot....hope that's a good sign
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #33
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

We took a tour in Downtown Cincinnati for a couple of hours. It was AWESOME. If you are near any major city, look for a tour company that offers this. Often half off deals are out there on Groupon type sites.

When I looked into the EP tour, I was a little shocked that the Segways coudln't go backwards (is this true?). That seemed very limiting in the ability to get around. After 5 minutes, you can stop and go on a dime. Trust me, scarier for those walking than riding (can stop/start VERY easily). We were zooming all around downtown Cincinnati, and then the riverfront area. Lots of pedestrians/alleys/etc. and not a big deal. It is amazing how much ground you can cover in a short period of time.
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:20 AM   #34
corneredbycorn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltl Mermaid
I still have not received a call canceling our May Segway tour in Epcot....hope that's a good sign
Total speculation here, but I wonder if something happened and they're canceling in chunks as time goes on, hoping whatever it is gets cleared up quickly, and not taking in new reservations in case they can't fulfill them. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's what's going on, actually.

corneredbycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #35
ckrisie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoreds
We took a tour in Downtown Cincinnati for a couple of hours. It was AWESOME. If you are near any major city, look for a tour company that offers this. Often half off deals are out there on Groupon type sites.

When I looked into the EP tour, I was a little shocked that the Segways coudln't go backwards (is this true?). That seemed very limiting in the ability to get around. After 5 minutes, you can stop and go on a dime. Trust me, scarier for those walking than riding (can stop/start VERY easily). We were zooming all around downtown Cincinnati, and then the riverfront area. Lots of pedestrians/alleys/etc. and not a big deal. It is amazing how much ground you can cover in a short period of time.
As a fellow cucinnatian i agree the tour was pretty good and grouponing it is the best. Go red!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #36
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoreds View Post

Not true that the Segways can't go backwards, they can.
I loved our Epcot tour and I hope they return
Old 02-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #37
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2

UGH! We have been waiting until DS15 turns 16 so we could all do it together & were planning on it for our next family trip in May.

Fingers crossed it will be back up by then.

MinnieGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #38
World Showcaser
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I don't believe so. Prior to the bakery openeing, the International Gateway still admitted guests. The segway tour dealt with that by mostly sticking to the other side of WS. When the tour crossed the areas that were open to guests, CMs would control traffic so that the tour didn't get closs to pedestrian traffic.
Yes, I know that there were some people in WS before. I have actually done the tour before. But the number of pedestrians was somewhat limited. I have a feeling that those visiting WS before 11 has greatly increased now that the Bakery is open to the public. And while there is some time spent in FW, I don't remember it being a lot of time. Just travelling through to get to WS. And we had no one control traffic when I did the tour but it was a few years ago so this might be a new protocol.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #39
Toadi
Mouseketeer

We love the Segway tours. We've done the original Epcot one twice, the Nature Inspired Design one at Epcot (now discontinued) and the Fort Wilderness one. We are taking our now adult son in a few weeks and have the Fort Wilderness one booked. Glad we picked that one now that the Epcot one is cancelled. We both thought the segways on the Ft Wilderness tour were easier to ride and enjoyed riding in the "wilderness" as opposed to all the concrete of Epcot. We always do the earliest tour as there are fewer pedestrians to avoid. Maybe we can get some "insider" info on why they cancelled the Epcot one.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #40
slacter
Earning My Ears

Just finished our Segway tour at Fort wilderness. It was AWESOME! My wife smoked me on the trail, dipping and swaying, ducking the vines. Great fun!
Old 02-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #41
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
Not true that the Segways can't go backwards, they can.
I loved our Epcot tour and I hope they return
Thank you for correcting this mis-information! My concern with booking one of these tours is that the Segways were very limited in what they could do.
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #42
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzytizzy View Post
Why are they all canceled?
Lithium ion batteries, maybe?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #43
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Hmmm...
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #44
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

AllEars is reporting that the Epcot Segway tours are being cancelled but not until Sept. Then, a new one is starting up that includes breakfast. The site said that anyone that had booked one from Sept on would be rebooked in a new tour. Cost is the same....$99. Wonder why they are cancelling tours now??
Old 02-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #45
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Lithium ion batteries, maybe?
The other Lithium battery issue was getting them certified for flight use. If there was an over all issue with lithium batteries it would also effect laptops, cell phones and a whole lot of other devices. Oh and a huge story about Segways being recalled.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: