DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
magic kingdom park
Mouseketeer

RCI and disney resorts

When going to the rci website it list several of the disney resorts as locations to chose. is there a catch to this? I thought disney resorts were only through dvc. I have a friend that has a couple of rci timeshare weeks that she is willing to sell. wondering if disney would be a option
magic kingdom park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic kingdom park View Post
When going to the rci website it list several of the disney resorts as locations to chose. is there a catch to this? I thought disney resorts were only through dvc. I have a friend that has a couple of rci timeshare weeks that she is willing to sell. wondering if disney would be a option
You have to know the trading power of the RCI resort. And not all DVC resorts and villa categories are available all the time. You have to watch for what you want. Dean and Brian can answer this question better.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
MaestroTK
Mouseketeer

Disney certainly is an option through RCI. I am an RCI member and have exchanged into DVC a couple of times. I have booked 2BR units at VWL & BCV using my RCI points. I have another reservation for this upcoming July at VWL.

It can be challenging to get the exact resort and week you want for peak times of the year. As long as you're flexible, you will be able to find availability.
2003 (July) WDW - Offsite - Vacation Village at Parkway (RCI)
2006 (July) WDW - Offsite - Summer Bay Resort (RCI)
2006 (May) - DL - Carousel Inn
2007 (July) - WDW - Offsite - Vacation Village at Parkway (RCI)
2008 (March) - WDW - All Star Sports
2010 (June) - DL - Desert Palms

2011 (August) - WDW - Beach Club Villas
2013 (July) - WDW - Villas at Wilderness Lodge
2014 (April) - DL - Desert Palms
2014 (May) - DL - Desert Palms

2015 (August) - WDW - Villas at Wilderness Lodge or Beach Club Villas
MaestroTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
magic kingdom park
Mouseketeer

so do you think it is good chance she could book one of those. I know when I just looked on the rci website it list 3 and 4 day specials at old key west. I was going to get her to look for something at the beach but if she could book disney I would just rather go there. I know they have had there timeshares for years and I forget how many weeks they have but they have not used them in several years.
magic kingdom park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
MaestroTK
Mouseketeer

Availability is very limited. I was checking every morning when I was looking to book. It really depends on when she is looking to travel.

I have found that creating an ongoing search produced the best results.
2003 (July) WDW - Offsite - Vacation Village at Parkway (RCI)
2006 (July) WDW - Offsite - Summer Bay Resort (RCI)
2006 (May) - DL - Carousel Inn
2007 (July) - WDW - Offsite - Vacation Village at Parkway (RCI)
2008 (March) - WDW - All Star Sports
2010 (June) - DL - Desert Palms

2011 (August) - WDW - Beach Club Villas
2013 (July) - WDW - Villas at Wilderness Lodge
2014 (April) - DL - Desert Palms
2014 (May) - DL - Desert Palms

2015 (August) - WDW - Villas at Wilderness Lodge or Beach Club Villas
MaestroTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
so do you think it is good chance she could book one of those. I know when I just looked on the rci website it list 3 and 4 day specials at old key west. I was going to get her to look for something at the beach but if she could book disney I would just rather go there. I know they have had there timeshares for years and I forget how many weeks they have but they have not used them in several years.
Whether what they own has any value depends on the specifics of the resort, location, week, etc. I certainly would not buy another timeshare just for the potential for trading in to DVC. You need also need to know the TPU (Trading Power) and maint fees. If you want to email me the specifics, I'll be happy to check the TPU and let you know as well as give you a opinion of the value/desirability if you want. Generally DVC only deposits the 7 nights for exchange so that's what you're looking at in reality. They also charge an extra $95 fee on top of the exchange fee (likely $189).
Old 03-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know this is a little old but I wanted to comment on the 3 and 4 day "special". I see those on my RCI weeks as well. Those aren't really a trade but more of a rental and are very pricey, IMHO. You would do better renting points from a DVC member.

Dean gave some great advice regarding TPU.

Good luck.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
the catch is that you need to do a lot of homework before you buy an RCI timeshare in order to trade into DVC.

(and there is still the risk that DVC might go back to II, in which case your RCI timeshare would have virtually zero chance of trading into DVC.)

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
If you mean she is willing to "sell" an exchange to you, be careful since selling RCI reservations is not allowed by RCI. If you would be going as a guest, in addition to the costs outlined by Dean there is also a Guest Certificate ($159) required if the owner of the exchange is not present to check in at the resort.

RCI also rents DVC villas as cash reservations where no exchange is required and those are also listed on the RCI site.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
Jennybump
Mouseketeer

Ok, forgive me, I am new to all this and need to ask some very basic questions. Thanks.

So, my brother and SIL are RCI owners at the Vacation Village at Parkway, and they have extra time/points saved up right now, so much in fact that they have generously offered to rent rooms for my parents and dh and I and our three kids rather than let the points pile up. Totally sweet of them. But now I see that there is a possibility of trading that into an on-property stay??? I would SO prefer a DVC option if that were doable!

So my questions are: would it use up more of their points to do that, such that it would be really greedy to ask? And if I did ask, I wouldn't want them to have to do all the legwork bc they have four kids inc. a baby and work full time and then some, so what info would *I* need to ask her for in order to do it myself?

If it helps we are planning to stay November 15-24, but are slightly flexible on that. We could leave on the 23rd before Thanksgiving week starts and arrive on the 14th instead. Just gotta be there on the 19th and 22nd for birthdays, and we want at least 9 nights but would also be willing to do a split somewhere else on our own dime since this RCI thing would save us soooo much. So if it's on a week system we could do 17-23 through RCI and stay elsewhere for a few nights before.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
Jennybump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennybump View Post
Ok, forgive me, I am new to all this and need to ask some very basic questions. Thanks.

So, my brother and SIL are RCI owners at the Vacation Village at Parkway, and they have extra time/points saved up right now, so much in fact that they have generously offered to rent rooms for my parents and dh and I and our three kids rather than let the points pile up. Totally sweet of them. But now I see that there is a possibility of trading that into an on-property stay??? I would SO prefer a DVC option if that were doable!

So my questions are: would it use up more of their points to do that, such that it would be really greedy to ask? And if I did ask, I wouldn't want them to have to do all the legwork bc they have four kids inc. a baby and work full time and then some, so what info would *I* need to ask her for in order to do it myself?

If it helps we are planning to stay November 15-24, but are slightly flexible on that. We could leave on the 23rd before Thanksgiving week starts and arrive on the 14th instead. Just gotta be there on the 19th and 22nd for birthdays, and we want at least 9 nights but would also be willing to do a split somewhere else on our own dime since this RCI thing would save us soooo much. So if it's on a week system we could do 17-23 through RCI and stay elsewhere for a few nights before.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
DVC has a block on exchanges from Orlando area resorts, so owning at Vacation Village would prevent an opportunity to trade into an onsite DVC resort. You might just want to use their ownership and stay at Vacation Village. It is certainly one of the closer timeshare resorts to the Disney Theme Parks. They might be able to find an exchange to Bonnett Creek which is the closest timeshare resort to Disney property (it is surrounded on 3 sides by WDW property).

Good luck!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
Jennybump
Mouseketeer

Thanks, Doc. We are perfectly happy to stay at VV, so it's no biggie that we can't trade. Makes sense, actually! Thanks for taking the time.
Jennybump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennybump View Post
Thanks, Doc. We are perfectly happy to stay at VV, so it's no biggie that we can't trade. Makes sense, actually! Thanks for taking the time.
If they have RCI points and not just VVP points, they might be able to get a better option such as Bonnet Creek or a Hilton option or Marriott's Cypress Harbour. You'll pay the exchange fee and if it's less than a week, also likely a housekeeping fee.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: