Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #31
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydisneykids View Post
I have to agree about the kids offerings.
Mine are 20, 16 and 12 now so well out of the kids meal ages. But the kids meal choices kept us from purchasing the dining plans for many trips. There is no way they would want to eat pb&j or chicken nuggets every meal. Once or twice over the week they liked it but they would have much rather had an adult option minus the sauces/gravies. We so often would get an adult meal and let them share it, or get one for themselves and bring the leftovers back to the villa.
I do see they do have a few more kids options now but there is still progress I feel could be made.
The thing is while your kids may want more variety another family may have kids that only want burgers and nuggets. I think they do have a decent mix, but finding what your kid will eat may take some effort. The only other solution would be to have huge kids menus and I don't see that happening.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #32
TygerHawks
Mouseketeer

Sadly, my daughter will most likely only want PB&J and nuggets every day for every meal. In her mind food consists of bread, cheese, nuggets, and ketchup
TygerHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #33
GiJohnsGirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starjazz
At kids prices, our kids were offered nuggets or pizza. My 2 yo was not offered anything.
My kids have never had this problem with the exception of our first trip (we didn't know any better)-even then my son had curry for the first time and love it. Every time we ate anywhere we were offered to add on food for our one year-old. Most places have at least one kid alt to pizza and nuggets. We always mixed it up for our kids. :shrugs:

Sept 2010 ASMovies
Jan 2012 Pop
July 2012 Art of Animation
April 2013 Pop Adults only trip
June 2013 Dream First DCL!
GiJohnsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #34
starjazz
DIS Veteran

Yeah, the food thing seems to have riled some folks up, because, as with everything, different strokes for different folks.

I guess I was just saying that I found it odd that it seemed like most of the restaurants differed some in their offerings, but the one's we visited all had those same three kids items.

I already commented earlier on BOG...we just didn't want to wait an hour to sit for lunch, and no dinner ressies were available during our stay. My kids would definitely have liked some of those options.

And yes, as I also mentioned earlier, viewing the menus in advance probably is a wise choice...I'm just not sure it would have made a ton of difference because we usually just ate somewhere that was close to where we were when we got hungry/tired/hot.

We got by - just packed way more of our own lunches after we caught on - a great aspect of the cabins...full kitchen. And, frankly, I would have survived happily on bread and water all week to be in Disney with the perfect weather we had, and low crowds for my DD's first times!
starjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #35
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJohnsGirl View Post
My kids have never had this problem with the exception of our first trip (we didn't know any better)-even then my son had curry for the first time and love it. Every time we ate anywhere we were offered to add on food for our one year-old. Most places have at least one kid alt to pizza and nuggets. We always mixed it up for our kids. :shrugs:
I think the OP was specifically referring to the situation at CRT, which is odd if you have a child who is under three. When we were there this past October, our two year old was offered nothing. When we asked about food for him (the year before, we had been offered buttered noodles), they said that they could give him a smaller portion of the kid's pasta dish and also brought him fruit and cheese, I believe. We said OK. We were willing to pay for it, but there was no charge for it when the check came. What was odd to us is that they didn't offer it, or comment on him at all...we had to ask. It was just strange, especially because they took a drink order for him. It's like our server didn't know what to do for food with a kid under 3. Clearly, we resolved the issue, our child was fed, and everyone left happy, but the situation was weird. It's like the restaurant almost has a policy not to charge for kids under 3, but they also don't tell you what the complimentary options are if you don't ask.

I'm curious...has anyone ever offered to pay for an extra kid's meal for an under three year old? It's a moot point for us now, because our youngest is now over three, but I'm still curious. It was a very perplexing situation at the time.
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #36
Males1011
Earning My Ears

I don't if anyone's thought about bringing a bobble with them, but I'm going to try it on my next trip to the World next year. I've been using it on tap water in my house, and it really does taste like filtered water. Check it out on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Bobble-Water-B...e+water+bottle

Jonathan (29)~! Cheryl (DGF24)
Males1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #37
teedisney
Workin' hard- Needin' a vacation

I noticed the resorts have better food options for kids. We stayed at AOA and walked to pop one night. Beef and broccoli, chicken noodle soup, stir fry, pasta. Great breakfast choices.

Summer vacation 2010 - Thanks Give a Day Promotion and 40% PIN code!!
teedisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #38
ashg8r
Mouseketeer

Regarding CRT, you may not have read the entire kids menu, because the other options for kids of steak, fish, etc are there, just listed in a different section from the nuggets and pizza. It really is confusing, they should list all entrees, but they definitely have a better selection at CRT than just nuggets and pizza. (Unless there has been a major change since Dec that I am unaware of).
We love WDW for Christmas! ** December 2012
Memorial Day Mayhem ** May 2013
A French Quarter Christmas ** December 2013
Good-bye Florida and Disney World trip ** April 2014
ashg8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #39
pl4bby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtowntoflorida

I think the OP was specifically referring to the situation at CRT, which is odd if you have a child who is under three. When we were there this past October, our two year old was offered nothing. When we asked about food for him (the year before, we had been offered buttered noodles), they said that they could give him a smaller portion of the kid's pasta dish and also brought him fruit and cheese, I believe. We said OK. We were willing to pay for it, but there was no charge for it when the check came. What was odd to us is that they didn't offer it, or comment on him at all...we had to ask. It was just strange, especially because they took a drink order for him. It's like our server didn't know what to do for food with a kid under 3. Clearly, we resolved the issue, our child was fed, and everyone left happy, but the situation was weird. It's like the restaurant almost has a policy not to charge for kids under 3, but they also don't tell you what the complimentary options are if you don't ask.

I'm curious...has anyone ever offered to pay for an extra kid's meal for an under three year old? It's a moot point for us now, because our youngest is now over three, but I'm still curious. It was a very perplexing situation at the time.
I have two under two and always pay for their food if they eat, unless it is a buffet or if they eat from our meals. Kids meals are not free if you order them just BC they are under 3
pl4bby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #40
arcurioa
Mouseketeer

When my children were under three I certainly did not expect Disney to fees my kids for free, DH and I either shared our food with them or I ordered an paid for their food.
arcurioa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #41
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

I agree kids menus are awful...

Wen we did the DDP, the kids menus were all the same!!
I could believe it..
This time we will be OOP (cheaper then DDP)
But have booked more buffets, so she can eat some roast beef, salad, and other things..

Disney needs to realize children need a little variety..
Maybe have the standard chicken, pizza, and Mac and cheese..
Then pick two things off the adult menu and make it into a smaller size..
There would be no extra cost, since they order the same food anyways for adult menus..

Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #42
redkel
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
Duh! But I'm a trombonist LOL. I should have known that!
Oh my...and now I'm hearing RIB with Oboe. *shudder*

I'm a clarinet player!

Love my Gershwin...
Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #43
rizzo0904
Mouseketeer

I don't give my kids nuggets. They don't get fries. Yah, I'm mean.

We will visit tangierine in morocco....my boys love hummus! Fairly certain it will be their favorite meal of the trip!

My four year old loves salad and last time I went that was a kids option at many cs locations.

Doing boma one night too. The three year old will have a meal of hummus and the older one will be in buffet glory!
rizzo0904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #44
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilais_mommie View Post

Disney needs to realize children need a little variety..
Maybe have the standard chicken, pizza, and Mac and cheese..
Then pick two things off the adult menu and make it into a smaller size..
There would be no extra cost, since they order the same food anyways for adult menus..
They do have variety. But you need to know which places have what you want ahead of time. Then it is easy to find things like steak, salmon, chicken salads, vegetable lo mein, shrimp,.......

They won't ever do the smaller portion thing on the menu as they would stand to lose money from the adults if they did so. Unless they set and enforced an age limit on who could order the kids sized portions, and then people would be up in arms over that.

Disney has plenty of variety for kids. But you have to be willing to find it.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #45
World Showcaser
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
There are so many people who complain that restaurants do not have enough dumbed down kiddie food. Then there are those that say *all* they can find is kiddie food - Disney just can't win, or please all the mommies. Just need to look at the menus, then you'll see there are options.
I think they could win if they made it a little more balanced. While it's true that some kids menus offer a single more sophisticated option, it is typically one option out of five or six. Why not make half the options your "junk food" like nuggets and mac and cheese and half the options something more interesting?

I don't think anyone's saying that Disney doesn't offer some options for kids. I think the complaint is that there aren't enough options. And it's not a matter of simply looking at the menus ahead of time. I have studied all the menus and booked restaurants based on the variety of their kids menus and still sufficient options just aren't there, in my opinion.

And for those who say you can just order off the adult menu for them...while that is true, I don't think you should have to pay adult prices and get an adult serving just to avoid chicken nuggets and pizza. Also, they heavily market a dining plan and, with that, ordering off the adult menu for children is not an option.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: