Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
barefootMom
Mouseketeer

Help me decide between POFQ and Boardwalk?

Hi - I am booking a week in mid April for me and husband and 2 daughters (8 and 11). We have stayed at the WL and YC in the past but this year are thinking of trying either POFQ (might be nice to save a little this time?) or maybe Boardwalk (about $900 more)...we have not stayed at either. What would you do?
barefootMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Monorail Bob's dd
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at both and would pick the Boardwalk hands down - it's our favorite!

Poly - '80, '84, '91, CR - '87, '88, BW Villas - '97, POFQ - '07, Marriott Grand Vista - '09, CSR - '10
BWI CL - '11, Yacht Club - '12, AKL - March, 2013, Poly - August, 2013
Monorail Bob's dd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
barefootMom
Mouseketeer

Also, how do the pool areas compare?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
ella6599
Mouseketeer

I've never stayed at the Boardwalk although we did stay at the Dolphin, and will be staying at the Yacht Club this summer. Can't beat the location, IMO (we love Epcot).

I've stayed at POFQ twice- we love it! Theming is awesome. Pool is very cool- the girls still rank it as one of their favorite hotel pools ever (but again, we've never stayed at one of Disney's deluxes). It's a nice small resort- you don't have to walk forever to get to the pool or the food court.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I have stayed at almost every resort at WDW (I have not stayed at the All-Stars) and BWI is my favorite and POFQ is my least favorite.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootMom View Post
Hi - I am booking a week in mid April for me and husband and 2 daughters (8 and 11). We have stayed at the WL and YC in the past but this year are thinking of trying either POFQ (might be nice to save a little this time?) or maybe Boardwalk (about $900 more)...we have not stayed at either. What would you do?
This may not apply to you, but we found ourselves regretting our decision to stay at POR after staying at deluxe accommodation previously. I don't know that you'll feel the same way we did but I think when you downgrade your accommodation, you really notice the difference. I think we would have enjoyed POR much more had we not stayed at SSR 6 months before. If you can afford the deluxe, I'd stick with it!

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
momto3boysillbe
Mouseketeer

For me it would totally depend on my budget. We have stayed at deluxe and the PO moderates and I'm happy at either one that fits into our budget. If I could swing the extra $900 comfortably then I would stay at BWI because its an awesome location! But if you need to save that money then I thought POFQ was a very charming resort and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.
momto3boysillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
We just stayed at POR in January for one night before we moved to VWL for eight nights (we are DVC members and usually stay in one bedroom villas). We thought POR was really very nice and would stay there again. We always drive so parking is really important to us. We find BW to have the worst parking of any resort. We stayed at POFQ a few years ago and it is a nice compact resort, plus easy to walk to POR for dining and swimming if you want to use that pool.

So if you will have a car and plan to drive to the parks, I'd avoid the BW.

POR now has queen sized beds in the room (not sure about POFQ). The bathroom probably isn't much different from the BW bathrooms. But the BW rooms will have a balcony and POR will only have the outside entrance into the room and the walkway outside your front door. POR has smaller buildings. BW has endless corridors.

BW is walking (or boating) distance to two theme parks - Epcot and DHS. You have to take a bus to all four theme parks from POR and POFQ, but you can take a boat to DTD. The buses to AK and MK at the BW pickup at the Swan and Dolphin and sometimes YC and BC.

The food court at POR is really very good. Great selections for breakfast and pretty good for lunch and dinner. BW has some nice table service dining (Flying Fish, Kouzzina, Big River Grill - but we refuse to eat there after two bad experiences and the places at YC, BC, Swan and Dolphin), but it is kind of lacking for counter service. At least until the BW Bakery reopens. But, even then, that won't compete with the moderate food courts.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I have to disagree about the parking at BW. I think the GF is much worse!! Yes, it can be a longish walk to your car, but it is right across the street from the bus stop. Not all that bad. But, I own at BW so tend to be a bit biased..

I love POR. Haven't stayed at FQ yet, but I have visited over there. It's a lovely, smallish resort. The pool area is nice. BUT you have to remember that a 'better' pool is one of the things you're paying more for at a deluxe. The slides are much shorter and not nearly as much fun at the moderates. Don't get me wrong..the pool areas are fun and nicely themed but they aren't the deluxes!!

I guess I would probably go with POFQ. It's nice to try different places. If you don't care for it, well...you're there for just a short time. THe next time stay at BW, or another resort.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
barefootMom
Mouseketeer

Thanks to all - we will not have a car so I am not worried about the parking. I would love for someone to compare the pools for me as that will be important. It is actually only a difference of about $700... What to do...
Old 02-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
SRiley1985
Mouseketeer

I haven't stayed at the Boardwalk but I did stay at POFQ with my 7 year old daughter last year. The pool area there is geared more towards little kids. The slide there is sad, IMO. I liked the resort in general with the small feel and one bus stop but would not stay there if a good pool is important.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
are you going for the flower/garden at Epcot - then stay at BW

if not then the pools the POFQ only has one pool - it is a sister resort of POR - so you can use their pools (and it has 5 I think - 4 community and one main one) - the pool at POFQ is cute. think your 8 year old will love it - your 11 might like the one at POR better. (some of us appreciate slower slides - which POFQ has)

BWV has 3 pools - 2 at BWV one over at BWI - the main one has a clown - that you might have heard of - before I learned of the standard views at BWV stayed near this thing for several trips - got a frontal view of the silly clown - on my last trip was having nightmares about it. So now only stay in standard or Bw views. never want that main pool view again.

to me that clown is just strange. Your family may feel different about it.

here are pictures POFQ
http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/showgallery.php/cat/915

BWV
http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/g990-di...lk-resort.html

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
lmrx
Earning My Ears

I don't know if it helps but I am staying at the Boardwalk currently with children of the same age and regrettably probably won't stay here again. For a deluxe resort there are some gaps in service. The small ones are a lack of easy breakfast choices other than muffins. My kids like the Mickey waffles and you just can't get them here. The refillable mugs are nice but there aren't many places to actually get them filled. The sweet shop will hand you a cup of soda but won't fill your mug. Some of this will be remedied when the bakery and pool reopen. The big one for me is the bus to MK. It is annoying to have to stop at the Swan and Dolphin. It takes forever and most buses are packed. To me a deluxe resort should have its own bus. I have stayed at most resorts and have been pretty disappointed by this stay. Save your money or stay at Yacht and Beach club.
lmrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

I'd actually recommend POFQ. It's a quaint resort, great pool area, and it's got a slower pace. It's one of my favorite resorts, and if we go over Thanksgiving this year, we'll be picking POFQ

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: