Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
mickeyway
Mouseketeer

Downgraded

Recently I heard of families being downgraded at check in. They paid for a certian view garden, courtyard but upon arrival they were told no rooms were available and down graded them to a standard room and gave back the difference. I don't know about anyone else but depending on the resort I would be upset if this happened to me. My understanding is that when you reserve a room you are only reserving a place to stay on Disney property not anything more. So in essence they can move you anywhere. But is it fair to down grade someone after they paid? Who else would be upset if this happened to them?
Wilderness Lodge 10,08,06,04
mickeyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyway View Post
Recently I heard of families being downgraded at check in. They paid for a certian view garden, courtyard but upon arrival they were told no rooms were available and down graded them to a standard room and gave back the difference. I don't know about anyone else but depending on the resort I would be upset if this happened to me. My understanding is that when you reserve a room you are only reserving a place to stay on Disney property not anything more. So in essence they can move you anywhere. But is it fair to down grade someone after they paid? Who else would be upset if this happened to them?
I think anyone would be upset but stuff happens. Perhaps plumbing issues, room damages, prior guest did not vacate (by law, they can't be thrown out), overbooking in error. If there is no room available, they try to accomodate but sometimes they can't if totally booked. I think it's rare to happen, I've been going to Disney regularly since 1994 and it's never happened to me. On the other hand, I've never been UPgraded either.
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
Missytara
I'm all ears!

It does happen; it doesn't happen all the time, but it does from time to time.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

which WDW resort did this?

most of the time disney upgrades not downgrades.

they just sell (especially at the new prices) more in standard views.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
carly chloe
DIS Veteran

I know it happens but i would be extremely upset. Most people plan and research where they want to stay for months or years and then to have it switched on them would be terrible. Would not be feeling Disney magic for the trip.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have read on the boards in the past that a few people have paid for preferred rooms at All Stars or Pop. They were "downgraded" to regular rooms. It seemed that the resort overbooked the preferred rooms. The guests that posted stated that they asked the front desk to refund difference in room rate and they did. I would be disappointed but would definately ask for a refund (don't assume it would be given without asking) of difference in room rate and make the best of the situation. The room contract has the small print that there are no guarantees. If still not happy at current resort, I would see if I could change to another resort. Still at WDW, still happy!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Laugh O. Grams

DIS Veteran

Wow, downgrading, eh? I used to travel for work pretty extensively and I've only ever been upgraded. Downgrading guests, even with the difference paid back, sound like really bad business to me. You'd kinda hope that they'd pay back the difference, plus an additional discount of some sort, to make good on their mistake.
Laugh O. Grams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I've been downgraded twice, both times at ASMu. The second time they were not even going to tell me! It was only when I pointed out that I had paid for a preferred room and not the standard they placed me in that they acknowledged that I had been downgraded. And it took an e-mail on my return home to get the price difference credited back to me. Not the best experience.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
pl4bby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom
I've been downgraded twice, both times at ASMu. The second time they were not even going to tell me! It was only when I pointed out that I had paid for a preferred room and not the standard they placed me in that they acknowledged that I had been downgraded. And it took an e-mail on my return home to get the price difference credited back to me. Not the best experience.
Ugh are you kidding how rude was that. I would have demanded a manager right there. And said I paid for this and you have the nerve to be sneaky and not refund me.
pl4bby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
boy that was not fair at all - you actually have to write Disney to get your refund -- that is definitely bad business.

don't thinks I would stay in AS MU again if your place.

never have paid for a preferred room at a value - to me it is just not worth the extra cost.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
dansamy
DIS Veteran

We stayed once in the ASMu Family Suites. That trip was the one that helped me convince DH to buy DVC.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

The view would not bother me so much. In fact lots of times I have wanted to book a standard view but only the "upgraded" views have been available. Somewhere like a mod or a value the view shouldn't matter too much.

Now the preferred would be a different story. I would be *very* upset about that. I would never book POR, for instance, without a preferred room available. Especially if my Mom was with us. She has mobility issues and when she is with us we choose a resort based on what she can handle.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
Davis2902
Earning My Ears

I have heard of this happening but it seems to always be at a Value Resort. I myself have been upgraded 3 times at no charge. Twice at GF and once at POLY. One of the GF upgrades was to concierge sugar loaf building (Thanks to Pampered Chef having all of the standard rooms booked upon our arrival). The others were just view upgrades.
Davis2902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
bobbyshawatl
Mouseketeer

On my stay in January, I was given a choice. I was booked into POR in a King bed. When I arrived, I was informed that they didn't have any King beds available, and I could either be downgraded to a queen bed room at POR, or be moved to a King bed at POFQ. While we love POR, we'd never stayed at POFQ, we took the move option, as we prefer the bigger bed and the corner rooms that normally make up the King rooms.
bobbyshawatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #15
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My Dad taught me many years ago that life isn't fair. I taught my kids this as well.
I would be upset, but I wouldn't stress about whether it was fair to me.
Neither would I "demand" relief, but rather work with the CM's to reach resolution.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: