Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #61
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Mom
You can add us to the roll call for May 20th! It's me, DH, DS1 (20), and DS2 (18). 3rd ABD trip and 1st time to London & Paris.
That's around the same time we went last year! What a wonderful trip! We loved it !

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #62
old_faithful
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all your kind words. I look forward to travelling with AJMlovesRLM's family. Glad my DS and DD will not be the only young people in the group.
old_faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #63
IMIS
Earning My Ears

Thinking about taking this trip....

Hi everyone. I am thinking about going on this ABD trip, right after I graduate from college. I had a few questions:

1. I would love to visit Highclere Castle in England(where Downton Abbey films). Is it possible to visit the castle on the trip, even though it is not on the itinerary?

2. I have certain dietary restrictions- I eat kosher. Anyone have any experience with something like this on an ABD trip?

3. On day 2 (I would be going on the trip where day 2 is a Saturday), I would not be able to travel with the group because of the Sabbath. Would you say that I am missing out on a lot because I will not be able to participate that day? Also, is the hotel centrally located, so I can take my own little walking tour?

4. When leaving France to travel back to the US, did you arrive at the airport late in the afternoon on Friday? Is there any way to schedule an earlier flight(I will be traveling back to NYC)?

5. Since I do not have a lot of experience traveling in general(especially by myself), I never really felt comfortable to travel outside of the US(I do not even have a passport yet!) But after I heard about ABD, I knew I had to look into it. Would you say this is a great "beginner" trip? I was thinking about going on the Galapagos Island trip, but I thought it may be a bit too adventurous for a first time trip.

Also, would you say the hotels are located in good, safe areas? I will be traveling by myself, so I want to make sure that I will be ok on my own.

I hope these questions are not too strange. Thank you in advance!
IMIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #64
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMIS View Post
Hi everyone. I am thinking about going on this ABD trip, right after I graduate from college. I had a few questions:

1. I would love to visit Highclere Castle in England(where Downton Abbey films). Is it possible to visit the castle on the trip, even though it is not on the itinerary? Highclere is about an hour and a half by car from the London Hotel, and about 2 and a half hours from the Foxhills hotel. You do have a free half day in London, but from what I can tell, no real free time in the "English Countryside". If you can work out the transportation to get yourself there & back in half a day, you can certainly do so. In fact, you're free to skip any part of the tour if you want, but there is no compensation for that, and while the Adventure Guides will help you figure things out, they can't actually arrange the transportation for you.

2. I have certain dietary restrictions- I eat kosher. Anyone have any experience with something like this on an ABD trip? I've had people on ABDs I've been on eat Gluten Free, and I myself have issues with certain foods, as I'm diabetic and have reflux. The Guides are great at arranging that sort of thing. Kosher would be a lot harder, especially depending on how strictly you keep kosher. If you can get by just by not mixing meat & dairy,(or not eating fleshig at all) you'll be fine. If you need Glatt kosher, that might be too much to ask in some locations. (You're moving around a bit for frozen meals to be an option for all meals). I would call ABD and ask them. You can't be the first person who keeps kosher who has taken an ABD.

3. On day 2 (I would be going on the trip where day 2 is a Saturday), I would not be able to travel with the group because of the Sabbath. Would you say that I am missing out on a lot because I will not be able to participate that day? Also, is the hotel centrally located, so I can take my own little walking tour? Yes, you would be missing a lot, but there's really no days on this tour where you won't be missing something. Day 2 is the antique double-decker bus, Westminster Abbey, and the typical London tourist things. It's hard to do an ABD and not miss *something* with the Sabbath mixed in there. At least you won't be missing out on the welcome dinner Friday night, because that's all at the hotel. Oh, but if day 2 is the Sabbath, that negates #1 above. Day 2 would be your only chance to see Highclere during the trip. You could always come in a day or 2 early to check out Highclere. I always recommend coming in early to get over jetlag.

They are using a new hotel in London this year (the "usual" hotel is being renovated) so I don't know how centrally located the new hotel is. The old one was *very* well located for walking around. I'd call ABD (or send the hotel an email) to find out about that.

4. When leaving France to travel back to the US, did you arrive at the airport late in the afternoon on Friday? Is there any way to schedule an earlier flight(I will be traveling back to NYC)? The ABD ends after breakfast. They will transport you to the airport pretty much whatever time you need to leave to get there for your flight, so yes, you can schedule early flights. I'd check with ABD if there's an earliest flight time, but I've seen them pick folks up at 6am for a flight on other trips. Just know that Charles de Gaulle is a horrid, HORRID airport, so leave yourself LOADS of time to catch your flight.

5. Since I do not have a lot of experience traveling in general(especially by myself), I never really felt comfortable to travel outside of the US(I do not even have a passport yet!) But after I heard about ABD, I knew I had to look into it. Would you say this is a great "beginner" trip? I was thinking about going on the Galapagos Island trip, but I thought it may be a bit too adventurous for a first time trip.

Also, would you say the hotels are located in good, safe areas? I will be traveling by myself, so I want to make sure that I will be ok on my own.

I hope these questions are not too strange. Thank you in advance!
I've traveled solo with ABD 4 times (#5 set for May!). It's an amazing way to travel solo, because even though you're on your own, you're not alone (unless you want to be) and you have the Adventure Guides to run everything, help you, answer your questions, and just make it as smooth as possible.

ABD's hotels are, in my experience, in very good neighborhoods, and in safe areas. The Guides will let you know if there's any issues with that, but the hotel in Paris is in a VERY nice neighborhood, walking distance to the Champs Elysees and the Arc du Triomphe.

Knights and Lights would be a good "beginner trip" as long as you do your homework and learn about things like currency exchange and power adapters, etc. *Personally*, I'd start with one of the domestic trips, just because traveling to a foreign country can be intimidating, but if you're going to do go international, ABD is the way to go.

Feel free to ask any & all questions you may have. I totally encourage people to get out there & travel, and ABD is a fabulous way to do it, especially for a solo traveler.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #65
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello

I believe I heard that the switch from the Chancery Court was due to refurbishing being done there. I don't know anything about the Landmark London Hotel.

Sayhello
Heard from an ABD guide that the Landmark is supposedly very lovely!

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #66
old_faithful
Earning My Ears

A few basic questions

We're arriving 2 days early. Should I book our room through our travel agent, Disney or the hotel directly? I'm assuming we're responsible for our own transportation from the airport if we arrive early. Is this correct? Any info on VAT refunds, paperwork? I'd rather delay than wait in long lines.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #67
rstamm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_faithful View Post
We're arriving 2 days early. Should I book our room through our travel agent, Disney or the hotel directly? I'm assuming we're responsible for our own transportation from the airport if we arrive early. Is this correct? Any info on VAT refunds, paperwork? I'd rather delay than wait in long lines.

Thanks for any insight.
We are also arriving 2 days early, I figured I would be responsible for transfers but I guess it would not hurt to ask.

If you want to stay at the Landmark it is $1300 for 2 nights, there is no way I was going to pay that so we are staying at a apartment a few blocks away that I found at Expedia.
November 1993--POR; November 1995--POR; December 2003--ASMo; June 2004--PC; December 2004--CSR; July 2005--ASMu & AK; November 2005--ASMo; February 2006--Off Site & ASMu; June 2006--PP (DL); August 2006--ASMo; December 2006--PC; June 2007--Windsor Hills; July 2007--Disney Cruise; August 2007--ASMo;Sep./Oct. 2007--ASMo; June 2008--HoJo (DL); June/July 2008--Windsor Palms; August 2008 ASSports-- December 2008--ASSports/Windsor Palms; June 2009--Windsor Palms; August 2009--DLH; September 2009--ASSports; December 2009--BLT; January 2010--PC; May 2010--AKL, Jambo House; June 2010--Boardwalk; June 2010--Backstage Magic ABD + GCV; August 2010--ASMo; September 2010--AKL, Kidani; November 2010--BLT; June 2011--AKL, Jambo House; July 2011--GCV; October 2011--BLT; November 2011--ASSports; December 2011--BLT; June 2012--Off Site; June 2012--Disney Cruise; June 2012--GCV; June 2012--Aulani; July 2012--GCV; August 2012--VWL; October 2012--AKL, Jambo House; December 2012--BLTJuly 2013 BLT, Oct. 2013 BLT, June 2014 BLT, Oct. 2014 DL GCV.
rstamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #68
mouthdoc
Earning My Ears

I believe ABD will provide transportation if you book your pre (or post) nights through them. If you book them on your own, you will need to arrange your own transportation.. We booked a post-night in Paris through ABD, and they will get us to the airport.
mouthdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #69
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

I would love to do this trip!
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #70
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_faithful View Post

Thanks for any insight.
If you book your pre-days through ABD, they will provide your transportation to the hotel. Same for post-days; if you book them through ABD, they will provide transportation to the airport. If you book the hotel on your own, then you're responsible for your own transportation.

As far as VAT refunds are concerned, if you go to Harrod's, they will offer to refund your VAT for any purchases you made there. Be aware (as I was not) that they charge you 33% of your refund for this "service"!

The VAT refund line at CDG was ages and ages long. I didn't even bother. You *can*, if you get the right paperwork, apply for it by mail once you get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthdoc View Post
I believe ABD will provide transportation if you book your pre (or post) nights through them. If you book them on your own, you will need to arrange your own transportation.. We booked a post-night in Paris through ABD, and they will get us to the airport.
That is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
I would love to do this trip!
You really should do it! It's a fabulous trip!

Sayhello

Last edited by sayhello; 02-06-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #71
guess1928
Mouseketeer

We are doing this trip this year . Can anyone give me any tips? we are also doing a post stay through ABD at Disneyland Paris. If anyone has been there while on this trip, I would appreciate any tips or info you can give me. Thanks
guess1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #72
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess1928
We are doing this trip this year . Can anyone give me any tips? we are also doing a post stay through ABD at Disneyland Paris. If anyone has been there while on this trip, I would appreciate any tips or info you can give me. Thanks
Comfy shoes. Adapters for electrical outlets. A nice outfit for the final dinner. A small tote to bring essentials for the mornings you need to leave your luggage early to go to your next hotel.
And most importantly: HAVE FUN !!!!!!!

Old 02-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #73
old_faithful
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #74
hdry
Earning My Ears

ABD City of Nights and Lights, May 20-27

Hello, I'm new to the forum and wanted to know how to register for "roll call" for the May 20-27, 2013 ABD Tour/London and Paris. My DH and I finally bit the bullet and are taking our dream trip. We're arriving a day early (pre-night through ABD) and was hoping to "meet" other guests prior to departing on our trip.
hdry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #75
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdry View Post
Hello, I'm new to the forum and wanted to know how to register for "roll call" for the May 20-27, 2013 ABD Tour/London and Paris. My DH and I finally bit the bullet and are taking our dream trip. We're arriving a day early (pre-night through ABD) and was hoping to "meet" other guests prior to departing on our trip.
I've added you to the Roll Call in the first post! Welcome to the ABD Forum. AZ Mom and her family are traveling on the same trip as you! Hopefully she'll chime in here.

It's a great trip. You're going to love it!

Sayhello

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: