Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #616
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I know! I'm sad I missed you too! I recognized Jen's hair! I was hoping she didnt' think I was a stalker.

Jill in CO
That's funny- she told me that. I think we overlap in May- I will be at OKW May2-3, then AKV CL May 3-6. We will be spending a LOT of time in Epcot, so maybe you'll recognize MY hair this time- although it's not nearly as colorful as Jen's!
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #617
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Love the Pearl update. It is such a moving experience and I'm glad your boys "got" it.

Oh boy, between you and Bill with the GPS I swear, we may not go anywhere we can't want to once we make it to Aualni.

I'm sure that won't be the case but UGH you both had major issues and I am the worst navigator on the planet. I foresee tense moments ahead.
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #618
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
That's funny- she told me that. I think we overlap in May- I will be at OKW May2-3, then AKV CL May 3-6. We will be spending a LOT of time in Epcot, so maybe you'll recognize MY hair this time- although it's not nearly as colorful as Jen's!
I'll be there May 4-12. I would love to run into you! Spiced rum Dole Whip anyone?

Jill in CO
Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #619
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

Pearl Harbor is one place I would really like to visit. It's so awesome seeing by way of your photos.

Our favorite restaurant in Williamsburg is The Sal's restaurant in the Williamsburg shopping center near the college. Really great Italian food, but it has to be that Sal's as there are two Sal's, both entirely independent. We haven't been in awhile so I hope their still good.
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #620
MEK
DIS Veteran

I would love to see Pearl Harbor and its great that you can book it on line. It looks like such an amazing, yet somber place.

Totally worth the K-mart stop to get a dancing hula doll.

Great update. Sorry to see your trip coming to a close.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #621
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Sorry I've not posted in a while. You might have seen it on the news but we had a bit of wind and rain here in Hattiesburg/Petal, MS on Sunday afternoon and I just got internet connection back. Over 2,000 homes damaged or destroyed and NO fatalities. God is good!! Enough about that, back to a great TR....

Quote:
On Sunday, we were scheduled to be at Pearl Harbor for our boat to the Arizona at 10:30 am. I had reserved this ahead of time (thank you, Saintstickets!) on the National Park Service website, thus saving all the lines and waiting of doing it in person. Here is some info, you can book 3 months in advance
You're welcome kind lady. It sure helps because the lines are long and you might have to wait hours if you just walk up and try to get on the boat tour. Pearl Harbor was amazing. Walking the grounds, listening to the audio tour and then actually going to the memorial....well... you get mad, sad and proud all at the same time. It is definately a must-see sight if you're on Oahu.

Loving your TR and all the pictures. I don't want to see it come to an end.

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic

Last edited by saintstickets; 02-14-2013 at 11:31 PM.
saintstickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #622
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Love the Pearl update. It is such a moving experience and I'm glad your boys "got" it.

ME TOO!!!!

Oh boy, between you and Bill with the GPS I swear, we may not go anywhere we can't want to once we make it to Aualni.

I'm sure that won't be the case but UGH you both had major issues and I am the worst navigator on the planet. I foresee tense moments ahead.
I feel so bad scaring you- my best advice would be to print directions and show them to the valet before you get in the car to make SURE they are correct- Aulani has printed directions to many places, too, at the valet stand. We should have done that more often- don't worry, it will be worth the trip, you will be fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I'll be there May 4-12. I would love to run into you! Spiced rum Dole Whip anyone?

Jill in CO
DEFINITELY!!!! Haha- we were just all talking about that yesterday! I can pretty much promise you we will all be there in full force (at Epcot) on Cinco de Mayo- I will be with most of these women-

From left to right, Kara, Laura, Evie(not coming this year), A butterfly (no idea what her story is), me, Joan (who will be with us sporatically- she will be there to watch her kids in our HS band, with her DH), and Lonnie. So if you see us, PLEASE say hi!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
Pearl Harbor is one place I would really like to visit. It's so awesome seeing by way of your photos.

It was fascinating for all of us- and that is really saying something. I would love to go back with Pods to check out the Missouri- the tour they give on that one sounds excellent.

Our favorite restaurant in Williamsburg is The Sal's restaurant in the Williamsburg shopping center near the college. Really great Italian food, but it has to be that Sal's as there are two Sal's, both entirely independent. We haven't been in awhile so I hope their still good.
Good to know! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I would love to see Pearl Harbor and its great that you can book it on line. It looks like such an amazing, yet somber place.

Yes, that's exactly right.

Totally worth the K-mart stop to get a dancing hula doll.

Thank you!! I don't know why Cecily's Mommy doesn't see it the same way?

Great update. Sorry to see your trip coming to a close.
Don't worry- I am like you- there's always more to come.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Sorry I've not posted in a while. You might have seen it on the news but we had a bit of wind and rain here in Hattiesburg/Petal, MS on Sunday afternoon and I just got internet connection back. Over 2,000 homes damaged or destroyed and NO fatalities. God is good!! Enough about that, back to a great TR....

Oh Bill! I didn't even realize that was YOU!!!! Yes, God is good- so lucky on the fatalities with those other numbers. So was your home ok except for the internet?

You're welcome kind lady. It sure helps because the lines are long and you might have to wait hours if you just walk up and try to get on the boat tour. Pearl Harbor was amazing. Walking the grounds, listening to the audio tour and then actually going to the memorial....well... you get mad, sad and proud all at the same time. It is definately a must-see sight if you're on Oahu.

Loving your TR and all the pictures. I don't want to see it come to an end.
Me neither- I don't want to see it end- it's like leaving HAwaii for the second time... But by the end, I really missed Sean, so I was glad to be going (not really, but maybe a little! ). This summer we will be gone even longer for Californina- makes me nervous about how that is going to be by the end....

So glad you are back- I have missed you!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #623
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Hey Ellen! Love the update! You and Pods took a great pic. So sad your trip is almost over. Thanks for sharing your snow pics - makes me happy to be here for the Winter. Are you sharing your vacay pics?

I had to laugh at your wrong turn to Pearl Harbor. Our GPS wasn't really helpful there, either. We have a saying from the Karate Kid movie, because we were stationed there in Okinawa the time it came out: "You're on Kadena Air Base!" (spoken in your best good old boy Southern drawl) I told Jim you had a "you're on Kadena Air Base" moment at Pearl!

The USS Arizona is def. a must do. So moving. I'm glad your boys "got it" but I knew they would cuz you're that kind of mom.
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #624
podsnel

5 weeks from today I will be going to WDW with Timmy! We are staying at VWL for 2 nights before a 4 night Dream cruise- VERY excited!!!! I have become a cruise-a-holic, I REALLY can't get enough, and if $$$$ and time would allow, I think I would be cruising all the time. I say this EVEN in light of all the poor Carnival Triumph passengers who FINALLY have gotten off of their ship. I did just book our vacation for next summer (as in 2014)...we will be going on the NCL Breakaway for seven nights to Bermuda- she is a new ship, not even making her debut until the end of April 2013 when she sails out of Germany. I really, REALLY wanted to do DCL out of NYC, but they are going back to Europe, and the airfare (and extreme heat!) to Italy in August is too rich for us- to Venice it is like $1500 per person. Anyway.....we will be having an easy time of it driving less than an hour and parking our car instead- and I am REALLY looking forward to THAT, too! Plus, that means we will not be using Miles to fly to a far away destination (like this year to Cali), so we can save them up for....some undecided location that would be too much otherwise (probably for Europe, and then DCL will be sailing out of NYC- crap! ). Anywho....I am also looking forward to our 1st VWL stay- followed by VGC in August....which will mean I have stayed at them ALL!!! Every DVC...until they open up the ones they are building at GF. WOOHOO!!!!!

Ok- so back to Aulani.... Once we had parked our car, we all put our suits back on and headed down to the pool. I know we ate something, but I have NO recollection of what, so I am going to guess it was a hot dog/red hot/ chicken finger kind of meal. The boys went off to slide, then hang in Painted Sky, while Pods and I hit the infinity edge hot tub.

We really liked that hot tub!

It was soon time for our last sunset, so...here are too many pics of it!

We had walked over to the Marriott side to watch the sunset.

Just to prove I was there and badly in need of a shower or at LEAST a brush, LOL-

Everyone was gone, chairs were stacked, it was time to go back...

This was so pretty lit up at night- but then, all of Aulani was...

Cont'd next post-

Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #625
podsnel

So we were walking back to the villa, and I was very aware of the ticking of the vacay clock, so I was into hyper drive with taking photos (funny how that happens at the end of the vacation! Every time!!!).

I decided to get a headstart on packing up so I could enjoy the evening without that hanging over my head. I also made some mac & cheese (which I brought from home) for T&T because they were STARVING!!!!!!

Some pics from around the villa-

Hidden Mickeys in the upholstery-

I love this one-

In the shower, i think-

Everyone's favorite lamp-

More Mickeys on the bed-

The Imagineers did such an incredible job with Aulani. It HAS to be the most beautiful of all the DVC resorts. I am in LOVE with AKV, which is so similar in many ways, but at Aulani, they kept decorating and hanging art when they got to the individual villas- it is much more limited (the villa artwork- CERTAINLY not the resort's art!!) at AKV.

One more pic off the balcony-

Ok, maybe one more-

And a vid. Click to play-

I just love the sounds from our balcony.

Ok- time for a much needed shower, before...dinner at Makahiki and some stargazing for Timmy and I...

Old 02-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #626
chasshan
calgirl6

Hi Ellen,

I've just read your entire TR this morning, by using your links.
I've really enjoyed it! Thanks for all the great travel/tour/activity tips.

I noticed that any swimming your family does on-site is in the pools.
I'm guessing this question has been addressed at some point in time, but was wondering, did you ever swim at the beach right there at Aulani?
It looks calm in most pictures so I'm assuming it's not the place to boogie board, body surf or surf. But curious if it is a nice, safe, beach to swim at, particularly for little ones like my 5 and 6 year olds.

I think if we made this trip we would want to max out what we could do at the resort and only do 1 or 2 activities off-site. The teens could go off everyday, but the less "traveling" the better for the little ones. (one is on autism spectrum; the other delayed-with special needs etc.)
Thanks,
Shanna
chasshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #627
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Great updates! I went to see Pearl Harbor back in the late 90's (1998?) and I remember it well, so moving to be there. My DH is interested in going there so I might get him to agree to the long flight to Hawaii someday!

Beautiful Sunset Pics!

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort

Last edited by rndmr2; 02-15-2013 at 07:25 PM.
rndmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #628
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It was soon time for our last sunset, so...here are too many pics of it!

I love all the pictures in this update, but there two in particular. It must have been REALLY hard to say goodbye to that sunset. Just spectacular!

So VWL will be the last DVC resort on your list. Nice. I hope you love it. The rooms are definitely rustic. If you have never taken the lodge tour and have time to do so before you leave for the cruise, do so. You will really enjoy it.

BTW - 7 weeks and I am going back to HHI! So excited! I love it there and I will say 'hi' to Dottie for you!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #629
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

There r only a few things I remember about hawaii (this is what happens when u go as an 18yr old with a fake I'd lol) and true Pearl Harbor was one of them. I really want to take the boys there and I think it would mean even more to me now ya know. Btw u should have told the MPs u know me lmao and I'm married to a marine who's not so lean and not so mean but still a fighting machine lol.cant wait to see ur last dinner and night.

I'm counting down till May then after August yeah!
Old 02-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #630
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Great update.

The beach looks gorgeous.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote