Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
Disney Princesses LW
Mouseketeer

Porte Orleans french quarter OR Riverside

Hi eagerly waiting to book on-site with DP for september next year (Virgin have already released some early deals)

Definatly want Port Oleans like the resort feel which would everyone choose riverside or french quarter ??

we a family of me DH DS14 DD7 and baby 1
Disneyland Paris Feb 2012, Oct 2012 and March 2013
just booked again
Walt Disney World September 2014

Disney Princesses LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Princesses LW View Post
Hi eagerly waiting to book on-site with DP for september next year (Virgin have already released some early deals)

Definatly want Port Oleans like the resort feel which would everyone choose riverside or french quarter ??

we a family of me DH DS14 DD7 and baby 1
First of all, don't book with Virgin YET. Usually, booking with Disney directly is much cheaper. They will release their holidays around April and you don't want to overpay! You never know what the deals will be, but Disney have consistently been cheaper over the last 3 years. For our trip this year, we booked early and got 14 for the price of 7 tickets, full DDP, $200 gift card and 35% off our hotel rate (at SSR).

To answer your question on POR vs POFQ, we have stayed at POR but my in-laws who met us there stayed at POFQ so we spent a lot of time over there. It really depends on personal taste. POR is much bigger, busier and has more going on. POFQ is the smallest resort at WDW, it's quieter and has less going on. Both are nice resorts, POR is a really pretty resort and has a slightly better food court. Either one is nice and perfectly adequate.

With a 14 and 7 year old, I'd probably go for POR purely because there are more pools and stuff for the kids.

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
GirlDreamer
DIS Veteran

I stayed at FQ last sept and I loved it. Both me and my DF liked FQ better than Riverside. We've never stayed at Riverside though, we just had a stroll over to have a look.

WDW CM: Feb. 2006 - March 2007 and Aug. 2008 - May 2009 Previous trips: Feb. 2007 (Saratoga Springs), Sept. 2007 (Off-site), Sept. 2010 (POP), Sept. 2012 (POFQ) Next trip: Disneymoon Nov 13th - Dec 4th 2014
GirlDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Disney Princesses LW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomance View Post
First of all, don't book with Virgin YET. Usually, booking with Disney directly is much cheaper. They will release their holidays around April and you don't want to overpay! You never know what the deals will be, but Disney have consistently been cheaper over the last 3 years. For our trip this year, we booked early and got 14 for the price of 7 tickets, full DDP, $200 gift card and 35% off our hotel rate (at SSR).

To answer your question on POR vs POFQ, we have stayed at POR but my in-laws who met us there stayed at POFQ so we spent a lot of time over there. It really depends on personal taste. POR is much bigger, busier and has more going on. POFQ is the smallest resort at WDW, it's quieter and has less going on. Both are nice resorts, POR is a really pretty resort and has a slightly better food court. Either one is nice and perfectly adequate.

With a 14 and 7 year old, I'd probably go for POR purely because there are more pools and stuff for the kids.
My In-laws are meeting us out there too Love the idea of Riverside esp for kids.

Don't worry I wont book Virigin hahaha just got excited because they've released 2014 prices
just booked again

Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
queendisney
DIS Veteran

personally I prefer POR and I have stayed in both. I just think the food court is way better and there are lots more pools. You are never far from the main building no matter where you stay on the resort and can be just as far at POFQ from the main building. I loved FQ as well and wouldn't hessitate to go back there if POR was unavailable. Both do the movies outside, both have the games arcade and both do the smores around the fire and both are beautiful. The joy of it is that they really are only a few mins walk from each other so you can easily pop across to the other resort and use the pools and food court. You can't go wrong with either and they have both been recently renovated.

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

Have stayed in both and like both but prefer Riverside due to; better pool, better food court, quiet pools, marina, bigger shop and I personally prefer the theming. However, it is big and with a baby in tow some rooms may well feel like a trek so I would book a preferred room. That's not much more expensive and cheaper than a river view. I do like POFQ too though and it's small size is great with smaller children.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

We're at POR now and love it.

We are in Building 28, which I had heard was sooo far away from everything, and we love it. When we come back next year I'll request this building for sure. We are close to the West bus stop which tends to be the first pick up so we have always got a seat and on the way back from the parks one of us has stayed on the bus and got off at the main stop to go to the food court for drinks etc while the others have gone straight back to the room.

We are close to a quiet pool and laundry too so it has been ideal for us!

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Canooknic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:53 AM   #8
queendisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canooknic View Post
We're at POR now and love it.

We are in Building 28, which I had heard was sooo far away from everything, and we love it. When we come back next year I'll request this building for sure. We are close to the West bus stop which tends to be the first pick up so we have always got a seat and on the way back from the parks one of us has stayed on the bus and got off at the main stop to go to the food court for drinks etc while the others have gone straight back to the room.

We are close to a quiet pool and laundry too so it has been ideal for us!
Glad you are loving POR...enjoy the rest of your holiday

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
laura_<3
DIS Veteran

We stayed at POR last year and liked it. At first we weren't too keen and were overwhelmed by the size of the place but thinking back, we would definitely return.

We're thinking of trying POFQ next year :-)
August 2005 - Indian Ridge Villas May 2009 - All Star Sports (Steven's first trip!)July 2011 - Royal Palms Villas July/August 2011 trip reportSeptember 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside September 2012 trip report July 2015 - Our Disney Wedding, Port Orleans Riverside
Engaged at Magic Kingdom 23rd September 2012 My Youtube Channel New - My wedding blog https://lauradisneybride.wordpress.com/
laura_<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
queendisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura_<3 View Post
We stayed at POR last year and liked it. At first we weren't too keen and were overwhelmed by the size of the place but thinking back, we would definitely return.

We're thinking of trying POFQ next year :-)
Everybody mentions the size of POR but if you think about it it's no further a distance to walk then if you were at GF, the Poly, Yacht and Beach clubs, and all the values and other mods if you are in the furthest away rooms form the CS/restaurants. It just so happens that POFQ is the only small resort and yes def try it next time as it is lovely

We often go for the furthest away room at POR as its the quietest and away from the lifts/stairs so hardly anyone ever walks/runs past the door and it still only ever takes us 7 mins (yes we timed it) to get to the main buildings..LOVE THE PLACE and want to be back there NOW

Old 02-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
Disney Princesses LW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
Have stayed in both and like both but prefer Riverside due to; better pool, better food court, quiet pools, marina, bigger shop and I personally prefer the theming. However, it is big and with a baby in tow some rooms may well feel like a trek so I would book a preferred room. That's not much more expensive and cheaper than a river view. I do like POFQ too though and it's small size is great with smaller children.
what preferred room would you ask for scooby xx
just booked again

Old 02-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
scoobydooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Princesses LW
what preferred room would you ask for scooby xx
Buildings 14, 15, 18 and 27 are the designated preferred buildings and if you book on the WDW site it just offer 'preferred room', not a particular block. However I will ask when I check in for building 18 facing the quiet pool which is also right next to a laundry. If that's not available I would then ask for building 15. Really they are all close to the main lobby and food court, 27 is the furthest away. If you are going to be using a pushchair I'd ask for a ground floor room in building 14 or 15 and if you're using a car ground floor, building 15 facing the parking lot. This is close to your car and the main resort bus stop. I'm not personally bothered about a view given you have to leave your room to really see the view anyway. If I were paying specifically for a view I would ask for POFQ, building 1 facing the river. Have stayed there and if you can be bothered to go and look that's a great view.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
scoobydooby

Forgot to say. The POR preferred rooms all also have an extra pull down bed which your 7 year old would fit it so your kids could sleep separately.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
Disney Princesses LW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
Forgot to say. The POR preferred rooms all also have an extra pull down bed which your 7 year old would fit it so your kids could sleep separately.
Thanks so much for your excellent tips we will be booking with WDW direct so will rememeber your tips thanks again
just booked again

Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #15
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydooby
Is it only the preferred rooms that have the extra bed?

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: