Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #121
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

We are going Nov. 18 -22 and staying at the DLH. There will be nine of us ranging in age from 12 months to 87 years and it will be a first visit for half. Thanks for this thread...it is very helpful and sure adds to the excitement!!!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #122
Aussie Princess
Mouseketeer

We are coming Nov 11-20 my DS ( will be almost 2) first visit and its a joint birthday thing for me and my son my mum and sister will also be coming as well staying at HoJos
2011 - 4th Visit to DLR - final leg of round the world trip
2012 - 5th Visit - First Ever Sisters Holiday - leaving baby and husband in Aust

Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain here i come!

Disney for life
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #123
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
We are going Nov. 18 -22 and staying at the DLH. There will be nine of us ranging in age from 12 months to 87 years and it will be a first visit for half. Thanks for this thread...it is very helpful and sure adds to the excitement!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Princess View Post
We are coming Nov 11-20 my DS ( will be almost 2) first visit and its a joint birthday thing for me and my son my mum and sister will also be coming as well staying at HoJos
How wonderful for you both! We on this thread LOVE pictures and trip reports.....HINT....
Old 03-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #124
blue888
Mouseketeer

Just booked Christmas for Disneyland!!! So excited!
I cannot wait to decide what to do!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #125
czmom
DIS Veteran

Peak season?

For those of you whp have been during the holiday season, is that considered a peak season for character meal prices? We will be there December 1-7. Just wondering if that time has typically seen the higher prices.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #126
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by czmom View Post
For those of you whp have been during the holiday season, is that considered a peak season for character meal prices? We will be there December 1-7. Just wondering if that time has typically seen the higher prices.
czmom -

Yes...and no! (That cleared it up, didn't it?)

Yes, the holiday season is definitely peak season in general, and the prices for things like character meals and hotel rooms will reflect that.

However, I have found - and I usually go to DLR in either the first or second week of December, so my time frame would be relevant to when you are going - that the prices seem to stay at the 'off peak season rates' for about one week into December, give or take a few days. After that first week or so, the rates settle into peak season rates.

So I think that - barring any unexpected changes - you will see the slightly lower character meal rates for at least a few days of your trip, if not for the whole time.

In 2011 I was at DLR in early December (12/4 - 12/8 - that's the "Aunt Betty's Weepy, Wacky...." TR in my signature below) and went to Goofy's Kitchen twice during that time frame. The rates were still off-peak seasonal rates.

This past December 2012 I was at DLR a week later (that's the "Candlelight & Cannonballs" trip report - 12/9 - 12/12) and ate at Surf's Up on my last day. The rates were already at the higher level.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 03-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #127
ashnjam
Be the person you needed when you were younger

Hey Sherry E how were the crowds the week of 12/9-12/12 in your opinion?
Myself (34) DW (35) DD (9)
Our first visit to Disneyland Oct 11-15 2012 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3039558
Our first Christmas visit to Disneyland Dec 7-12 2013 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3215509

Old 03-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #128
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnjam View Post
Hey Sherry E how were the crowds the week of 12/9-12/12 in your opinion?
ashnjam -

Not too bad! At least I didn't think so. Of course, it's still a popular time to be in the parks - there's no getting around that - but it wasn't oppressively crowded like I have seen it at certain points during the holidays over the years.

One thing I observed is that Mondays seem to be delightful! Both 12/10/12 and 12/5/11 were Mondays and the crowds were noticeably, substantially lighter on each of those days, two years in a row.

One informal barometer I kind of use to assess the crowds for myself is Main Street. If there is plenty of walking room on Main Street and you can actually stop to look in windows without being trapped in crowds, it's not crowded! If you can go into Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor and either not see any line at all, or see only 2 people waiting in line, it's not crowded!

This year 12/9 will be on a Monday, so that will probably be a less crowded day. Tuesday will probably be busier. By the time you get to Thursday a lot of folks arriving for long weekends will be there.

All in all, I think it will be a good time to go! I would definitely go in that time frame again, if I couldn't make it there in the first week of December.

It's really when you hit mid-December that the crowds take a turn and begin to get bigger.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 03-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #129
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

No holiday trip for us this year Sherry but I'll be following along as I love reading about everyone's adventures and seeing all of the holiday photos.

Joshua decided on a Disney cruise instead so he and I will be taking a 5 day Disney cruise next January for his bar mitzvah gift. I'm elated.

The kids and myself will be getting a little taste though during their spring break this year, just a day or two but it'll be great.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Old 03-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #130
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
No holiday trip for us this year Sherry but I'll be following along as I love reading about everyone's adventures and seeing all of the holiday photos.

Joshua decided on a Disney cruise instead so he and I will be taking a 5 day Disney cruise next January for his bar mitzvah gift. I'm elated.

The kids and myself will be getting a little taste though during their spring break this year, just a day or two but it'll be great.
Hi, Jenny!

It's sad that you won't be able to do a holiday trip this year but the cruise sounds amazing, and the fact that you'll be at DLR for a day or two coming up very soon (looks like in 5 days?) is great because at least you'll finally be able to see Cars Land and Buena Vista Street for yourself, up close and personal, now that you've seen photos of it in other reports!

Hopefully you can do a holiday trip in 2014.

And yes, of course, please don't abandon us here in the Superthread just because you can't visit for the holidays. You are always welcome to join in the fun, post photos (especially when we get to the Theme Week Countdown in August) and answer questions or give advice, suggestions, etc.!!

By the way, I finally added the link to your November 2011 TR in the TR section on Page 1, quite a while back!

Speaking of which...some of you may have noticed that I have been quietly working on the first 7-9 posts on Page 1 of this thread for a while, adding links, breaking things up into different categories, inserting small photos, etc.

First, I gathered up all of the links to blogs, etc. That was an undertaking in and of itself. When I finally got them added where I needed them to be and saved them, much of the punctuation vanished!!!

In other words, what could have started out to look like this (and I am just making up an example):

"It's Turkey Time - Thanksgiving Day Fun!!!"

...would end up looking like this:

"its Turkey time thanksgiving Day Fun "

Unfortunately, this disappearing punctuation, etc., happened in many, many of the link titles that I posted. So now I have to go back and fix all of the commas, hyphens, colons, apostrophes, exclamation marks and other things that went awry.

Next...I was trying to insert the thumbnail/small photos in several posts on Page 1 - and I did, which you will see if you scan down that page. But it took some doing. Photobucket's website has been haywire for the last few weeks and is doing all kinds of things to make my life difficult.

So, the other evening, when I was trying to resize some photos to make them small for one of the info posts on Page 1, I edited them and saved them and they looked fine...until I tried to insert them in the posts here in the thread. The photos were not only NOT small, they were GIGANTIC. Huge. Larger than any photo I have ever posted in my life!

I struggled and struggled and finally found a way to get my photos to a small size, but I am paranoid that the photos I have already posted on Page 1 - and the ones I posted a couple of pages back - will not stay at the size they should be and will suddenly become enormous!

Old 03-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #131
czmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
czmom -

Yes...and no! (That cleared it up, didn't it?)

Yes, the holiday season is definitely peak season in general, and the prices for things like character meals and hotel rooms will reflect that.

However, I have found - and I usually go to DLR in either the first or second week of December, so my time frame would be relevant to when you are going - that the prices seem to stay at the 'off peak season rates' for about one week into December, give or take a few days. After that first week or so, the rates settle into peak season rates.

So I think that - barring any unexpected changes - you will see the slightly lower character meal rates for at least a few days of your trip, if not for the whole time.

In 2011 I was at DLR in early December (12/4 - 12/8 - that's the "Aunt Betty's Weepy, Wacky...." TR in my signature below) and went to Goofy's Kitchen twice during that time frame. The rates were still off-peak seasonal rates.

This past December 2012 I was at DLR a week later (that's the "Candlelight & Cannonballs" trip report - 12/9 - 12/12) and ate at Surf's Up on my last day. The rates were already at the higher level.

Thank you! Hoping we can make it without the higher prices.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #132
blue888
Mouseketeer

I am terrible without the search function. Any ideas on special things to make it more holiday like. We will be there right at Christmas time 22-28th and I'd love to make it special for my 4 and 2 year old. We are staying off site across the street.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #133
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Thanks Sherry. Next week I'll be visiting Disneyland for the day due to the generosity of a friend who I'm meeting at Club 33 for lunch to celebrate my 44th birthday. It'll truly be a one dayer. I'm so excited. I'll tell all about it in my pre cruise trip report (link below). It's a bucket list item for me.

The kids' spring break is during the first week of April this year. We're planning on two days between the Tuesday-Friday that week. I'm having all sorts of issues deciding on one DCA only day, a 2 day hopper, 2 day one park/day tickets, or sucking it up and getting 3 day hoppers. Im sure I'm making me it far more complicated than it needs to be but not staying in the area throws me off.

Thanks for adding my trip report. Thank you also for taking such good care of us and our Disney holiday fix.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Old 03-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #134
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Sherry - the index is looking just great Thank you for all your efforts.

I'm bummed (as you probably are too) that you won't be going on a holiday trip this year. I know you'll still be making quite merry on this thread!

We are hoping to make a trip to DL this year. We'll have to see what the school calendar brings.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #135
BELLEDOZER
Evil MOM reporting for duty!!

Sherry the index looks amazing!! I know how much hard work you put into it, and really appreciate all that you are doing for this thread. Have a great day!!

Trish
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: