Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #31
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 28,995

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Now I see a standard room rate at HRH for $216.75!

wife says that for only a difference of $75 a night she didn't want to change.

The Scots blood in me is truly conflicted.....
You've still got lots of time. You could switch to that one at the HRH and then switch again if a cheaper RPH came up. If you switch, remember that they will cancel your entire reservation and give you a new one. You'll have to wait for a refund for your deposit even though you've made a new one.

However, you can try to get them to just keep your deposit as it is and just leave the remainder as a credit on your account to be applied at check-out. Make sure you ask for this option as they probably won't offer it. They will then transfer you to their accounting department to have it done. It is a pain in the butt but worth it.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #32
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 211

Updated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
You've still got lots of time. You could switch to that one at the HRH and then switch again if a cheaper RPH came up. If you switch, remember that they will cancel your entire reservation and give you a new one. You'll have to wait for a refund for your deposit even though you've made a new one.

However, you can try to get them to just keep your deposit as it is and just leave the remainder as a credit on your account to be applied at check-out. Make sure you ask for this option as they probably won't offer it. They will then transfer you to their accounting department to have it done. It is a pain in the butt but worth it.
Just got off of the phone. I was able to book another room at a substantial savings over the King Suite rate. We are now booked into the Portofino Bay Hotel for the same five nights (May 12 through 17), but in a standard Garden View two-queen bed room. The rate is $231.75 per night and is the SM-SM rate. That's a savings of $300 over the length of the reservation, so I consider that to be substantial. I do understand that the PBH is located a little bit further from the parks, but they also offer the water transportation like the RPH. In fact, on our arrival day we plan to ride the water taxi over to RPH where it looks to be closer to jump across the street to the Walgreens to buy "essentials" - like beer and toothpaste.

The nice lady helping to change the reservations constantly reminded me that this was considered their most luxurious resort. I am sure that we will like it - although I suspect that we might have preferred the South Pacific theme offered by the RPH.

I am sure that just getting away on vacation will be enough to make me happy wherever we end up!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #33
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 28,995

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Just got off of the phone. I was able to book another room at a substantial savings over the King Suite rate. We are now booked into the Portofino Bay Hotel for the same five nights (May 12 through 17), but in a standard Garden View two-queen bed room. The rate is $231.75 per night and is the SM-SM rate. That's a savings of $300 over the length of the reservation, so I consider that to be substantial. I do understand that the PBH is located a little bit further from the parks, but they also offer the water transportation like the RPH. In fact, on our arrival day we plan to ride the water taxi over to RPH where it looks to be closer to jump across the street to the Walgreens to buy "essentials" - like beer and toothpaste.

The nice lady helping to change the reservations constantly reminded me that this was considered their most luxurious resort. I am sure that we will like it - although I suspect that we might have preferred the South Pacific theme offered by the RPH.

I am sure that just getting away on vacation will be enough to make me happy wherever we end up!
PBH is my favourite. There is a short cut walk to the parks. Instead of following the path along the waterway to HRH walk out the front roadway and cross to the Hard Rock main drive. Don't go all the way up to the door but cut through the HRH parking lot on the right hand side and follow the parking lot all the way down until it ends. By that point you can see Universal Studios and you can just follow the road on the right directly to the bag check. Barb posted photos... http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...46&postcount=7

Make sure you eat at Sal's Deli. They have great pizza!!! RPH is not closer to Walgreens. PBH actually is. Go out the back through employee parking and you will be right across the street from Walgreens. Looks like googlemaps has identified the PBH as the RPR. The hotel in the following link is the PBH http://maps.google.com/maps? q=Loews...ed+States&z=18

This is the shortcut from the PBH to the parks.


Last edited by damo; 03-03-2013 at 01:02 PM.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #34
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
PBH is my favourite. There is a short cut walk to the parks. Instead of following the path along the waterway to HRH walk out the front roadway and cross to the Hard Rock main drive. Don't go all the way up to the door but cut through the HRH parking lot on the right hand side and follow the parking lot all the way down until it ends. By that point you can see Universal Studios and you can just follow the road on the right directly to the bag check. Barb posted photos...

Make sure you eat at Sal's Deli. They have great pizza!!! RPH is not closer to Walgreens. PBH actually is.

This is the shortcut from the PBH to the parks.
Thanks!

I will be sure to ask for directions once we get ready to head on over and pick up our supplies. We are attempting to get by without any checked baggage on this trip. We are successful for most (not the cruise though). I showed the DW how to roll everything up to make more space. That is how we packed out entire issue into our seabag. The Navy did teach me a couple of tricks through the years!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #35
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 211

OK, New Question!

I noticed that it has been mentioned that there is a poolside show at the RPH on certain evenings. Since we have changed our booking to the PBH, would we be able to catch this show if they have one during our stay in May?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #36
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 28,995

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
I noticed that it has been mentioned that there is a poolside show at the RPH on certain evenings. Since we have changed our booking to the PBH, would we be able to catch this show if they have one during our stay in May?
You can visit any pool. Just bring your key along.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #37
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
You can visit any pool. Just bring your key along.
That's what I thought I understood, now the trick is to find out exactly which evening for us to play interloper on.

It looks like the Sunday was arrive on may be Mothers Day and they have the Wantilan Luau scheduled for that evening. I wonder if the poolside entertainment would coincide with that? I probably could also just e-mail guest services (or whatever they're called) and ask if any of the dates we will be there are on their entertainment calendar.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #38
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 28,995

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
That's what I thought I understood, now the trick is to find out exactly which evening for us to play interloper on.

It looks like the Sunday was arrive on may be Mothers Day and they have the Wantilan Luau scheduled for that evening. I wonder if the poolside entertainment would coincide with that? I probably could also just e-mail guest services (or whatever they're called) and ask if any of the dates we will be there are on their entertainment calendar.
It might just be on Saturdays.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #39
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 211

Oh, phooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
It might just be on Saturdays.
Well, if that's the case - we'll be missing it. I tried to book a Saturday stay to lower the cost of airfare, but since that raised the rate of the hotel - the savings weren't there.

Strange how all of this trip planning pricing overlays depending on weekend/weekday time frame. You can cut costs here, but no there.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #40
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 44,654

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo

It might just be on Saturdays.
It meaning the wantilan luau or any poolside entertainment?
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #41
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 28,995

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
It meaning the wantilan luau or any poolside entertainment?
The poolside hula thingy.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.