Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
ADP
I'm a huggin' foolWon't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me

Comcast Buys Remaining Stake in NBC Universal

I posted this in the Unplugged forum and thought it would be good discussion here.

Comcast announced after the closing bell yesterday 2/12 that they are buying General Electric's (GE) stake in NBC Universal for 16.7 billion. GE did own 49% of the company and now Comcast took over their share. This means Comcast has entire ownership of Universal Studios theme parks.

Now that Comcast owns the parks outright it should be interesting to see what more they do in the years ahead. They've already commited. 1.5 billion to current and near term theme park projects.

It's kind of funny in a way because it was Comcast who tried to buy Disney for 54 billion back in 2004 and have made other attempts at mergers recently. I think if Comcast had their way they'd own the entire media and theme park world. Who knows....Someday they might.

Get your popcorn and spectator glasses on because its now going to be Disney versus Comcast in the years ahead for our theme park dollar.
ADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

I'm really interested to see how the parks transform in the next few years. I know that Comcast is really happy with how things have been going.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
patster734
Proud Redhead>
Not the sad bluehead

Comcast Xfinity Quadruple Play - tv, phone, internet, and park tickets!

Plans to skip HHNs this year in favor of attending the Christmas holiday activities.
patster734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
ADP
I'm a huggin' foolWon't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
I'm really interested to see how the parks transform in the next few years. I know that Comcast is really happy with how things have been going.
Me too....Comcast has deep pockets and I hope they reach into them often for the theme parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patster734 View Post
Comcast Xfinity Quadruple Play - tv, phone, internet, and park tickets!
Nice!
ADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
SpacePlace
Mouseketeer

I think this is great. I've read the Comcast reports and they place a great pride and emphasis on the parks. DL couldn't have had the level of success it did if it hadn't been backed by all the $ that went into building it. Comcast gets this. Disney doesn't quite get this anymore. I think it'll be exciting to see what comes of this buyout.
SpacePlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

When Comcast first purchased the 50% share from Blackstone, I was a little concerned that nothing much would happen. I was actually hoping Blackstone would purchase all of Universal (they had just closed on SeaWorld) and make a two resort deal with SeaWorld. Then it would have been Disney vs Blackstone. But when they decided to sell their share, I was thinking they were crazy for selling when they did. Now...this is the best thing that could have happened...IMHO.

I don't think there is any love lost between the "powers that be" at Comcast for Disney so I expect a full on mass improvement project(s) for Universal for the forseeable future.

Bring it on!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
Rip
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
When Comcast first purchased the 50% share from Blackstone, I was a little concerned that nothing much would happen. I was actually hoping Blackstone would purchase all of Universal (they had just closed on SeaWorld) and make a two resort deal with SeaWorld. Then it would have been Disney vs Blackstone. But when they decided to sell their share, I was thinking they were crazy for selling when they did. Now...this is the best thing that could have happened...IMHO.

I don't think there is any love lost between the "powers that be" at Comcast for Disney so I expect a full on mass improvement project(s) for Universal for the forseeable future.

Bring it on!
This. I felt the same way and completely agree now. I think there are still some in the upper echelon of Comcast that want to "show Disney up" for preventing them buying Disney out years ago.
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
cbsnyber1
Baxter the zzzzzzz Corgi Wonderdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
Unfortunately, Blackstone is in it for the short term on all its investments. My current company is owned by Blackstone, and it just applied for an IPO, after about seven years of Blackstone ownership. That's what they do - buy, build brand, sell when they can get X times current EBITDA. Doesn't matter what might happen, they know when they should sell. I'll bet they made a bundle on their NBC/Universal investment.

And you are right - Blackstone is huge, tons of capital reserve, would have been interesting to see what they might have done with Uni long term.

"The problem is not that some set the bar too high and miss it, it's that some set the bar too low and hit it"

cbsnyber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Comcast is all in, time to show their cards

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: