Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #31
nym4588
Mouseketeer

David's came through for me. I send in the application yesterday and by 11AM today, he secured a ten day OKW studio for me. He sent me a link to pay and it was all done in less than five minutes. Now I'm just waiting on the contract to be emailed. So far, it's been very easy.
nym4588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #32
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

We were considering it for our upcoming trip - I am guessing at this point there would be very little, if anything, available for the end of May?
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #33
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizznyChick
i rented points this past summer and would never do it again. my dining plan that i paid for wasnt attached to my reservation. i wasted a whole day on the the phone with the owner and at the desk trying to get it worked out. i ended up paying for the dining plan twice! the owner never gave me the money back. $1500 im still sick over it. shes a long time poster, its disgusting
If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, why haven't you called her out on the boards?
NHKristy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #34
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKristy76

If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, why haven't you called her out on the boards?
Board rules would not permit this.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #35
::danielle::
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizznyChick
i rented points this past summer and would never do it again. my dining plan that i paid for wasnt attached to my reservation. i wasted a whole day on the the phone with the owner and at the desk trying to get it worked out. i ended up paying for the dining plan twice! the owner never gave me the money back. $1500 im still sick over it. shes a long time poster, its disgusting
Do you mind sharing the method you used to pay for the dining plan? Disney gift cards? Credit Cards? Cash? If you used your credit card there may be some way to reverse the charges.

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever." ~Walt Disney.

Disneyland 2009 (Candy Cane Inn)

Disney World March 2-11 2012 (POP, WBC, POR split stay)

Disney World Dec 14-21 (BLT)

Disney World Solo Trip May 22-25 (POP)

Anxiously Awaiting:
Disneyland June 17-22 (VGC)

Disney World Sept 18-21 (TBD)
::danielle:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #36
weswife
DIS Veteran

Great feedback! We plan to rent points for our Oct trip. My DH is a BIG skeptic!!!!! Must be from his line of work anyway finally convinced him to use Davids. Then some directed me to the rent board here and now I am leaning that way! Someone is checking on it right now but DH is still nervous.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:54 AM   #37
Malroy
Mouseketeer

Hello all, I just this evening started looking into renting DVC points, and I almost feel like this is too good to be true, price wise!!!

I feel like I would rather deal with a broker than an individual (just for my own control freak purposes!). But I am just a little bit blown away by the price difference in renting points vs paying disney directly

I really hope I can talk BF's mom into this..Last time we went I was a disney noob and let her do all the planning, and we (myself, bf, his mom, and his niece (8) and nephew (2)) stayed in a standard room at all star music. It was a great trip, and I LOVE his mom and niece and nephew, but I need more space!!! She did it as a cost saving measure and I let her take the reigns, and was unaware of what she had booked until we set foot in the room. We are not looking at going back until 2014, but she has said that she will GLADLY let me do all the choosing this time. if this is an option, we are TOTALLY going for it. Hopefully I can talk her into a little bit of a price increase for more space.

i am definitely going to be researching this more because I can already see a few pros vs cons, but I hope I can make it work for us. I would love to stay at a deluxe!!

a slightly OT post for this thread, but I just couldn't believe my eyes as I started doing some of the math!!

Completed TR: 1st Trip Report & DCA Proposal!

Previous trips:
WDW June 2012 // World Wide Sports
DLR March 2013 // FFI

Last edited by Malroy; 02-15-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Malroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #38
brucerob62
Mouseketeer

i can vouch for renting..most of the posters are good people and will rent to you.just do your homework ask for references..get name and ph number ..I have never had a problem..good luck..its the only way I stay at DVC. resort .otherwise to expensive.
brucerob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #39
Heather1979
Mouseketeer

A big thing for me that I don't hear a lot of people saying (in general- not just here) is that once you secure the points rental, your reservation can be seen online on the Disney website under your name. So it's not a total nerve wracking crap shoot "is it gonna be there when I arrive" feeling KWIM?

We rented points for this upcoming trip from Davids, and it was a seamless and smooth process once they had points available for us to rent. And DH checks almost every day that it's still linked to our names because he's just like that.

I mean, if the DVC member backs out (at least according to the contract) they don't get paid. (The 3rd party holds the cash heading to the owner until the renter checks in). So really, there isn't anything for the owner to gain if they cancelled it. Just reading all the fine print when we rented was enough to cure this skeptic of any hesitation in the point rental process. It's going to be tough to justify NOT renting points anymore though!

Off site 1987, 1998, & 2003, Pop century 2006, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012, Bay Lake Tower 2013
Heather1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #40
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocovrdmicears View Post
We were considering it for our upcoming trip - I am guessing at this point there would be very little, if anything, available for the end of May?
Not really - because of the food/wine at the beginning of Nov - thanksgiving and christmas stuff at the end of Nov - Nov and Dec are pretty popular with DVC members (also low points)

May just has the flower/garden - while I love it - it does not have the popularity of the f/w

now when the star wars weekend - it was different - but then they changed them to June. Not sure when it is this year.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #41
Malroy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather1979
I mean, if the DVC member backs out (at least according to the contract) they don't get paid. (The 3rd party holds the cash heading to the owner until the renter checks in). So really, there isn't anything for the owner to gain if they cancelled it. Just reading all the fine print when we rented was enough to cure this skeptic of any hesitation in the point rental process. It's going to be tough to justify NOT renting points anymore though!
Yeah, reading over the contract made me feel less skeptical as well. I already told BF that if we honeymoon at WDW we are renting points to get a savannah view at AKL. That is his dream stay, and renting points is the only way we would ever be able to afford it.

The biggest drawback for us (when we are traveling with his parents at least) is the no smoking on the balconies thing. His mom doesn't mind going outside but I'm not sure she would want to walk too far to be able to smoke. I personally find that rule delightful, but like I said, not so sure how she will feel about it.

Previous trips:
DLR March 2013 // FFI
Old 02-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #42
gweninwb
Earning My Ears

We rented from David's for our Oct 2012 stay at AKL and it went perfect.
gweninwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #43
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malroy View Post

The biggest drawback for us (when we are traveling with his parents at least) is the no smoking on the balconies thing. His mom doesn't mind going outside but I'm not sure she would want to walk too far to be able to smoke. I personally find that rule delightful, but like I said, not so sure how she will feel about it.
there is no smoking on any of the balconies at WDW and the fine is (or was) $500.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #44
PSUGuy
Bill From PA

I didn't read this whole thread but here's my 2 cents on the topic. This Oct will be our 6th week-long stay at the BoardWalk on DVC points rented from DISers we found here. This rental is the third from the same fine lady as the last two, the previous three involved two separate owners. Never a problem, never a glitch, and we've stayed in a standard view studio with kitchenette and WIFI for the same or LESS than a Value would cost. The last few times we'd ask if the DVC member had points to rent as soon as we got back from vacation as the BW tends to sell out quickly, especially during Food&Wine, so we commit 11 months in advance. This works fine for us, we pay half the fee up front, the rest a few months prior to the trip and we have 11 months to get the park passes, rental car, airfare etc.

Bill From PA

PSUGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #45
Malroy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat

there is no smoking on any of the balconies at WDW and the fine is (or was) $500.
She has only ever stayed on the ground floor of the value resorts, so she just steps outside to smoke. I felt like half the trip was spent either listening to her get in trouble for smoking where she shouldn't be or waiting for her to be done smoking! I will NOT let her to do it on the balcony if we stay in a room that has one. I really wish it wasnt an issue at all but she is awesome and we both enjoy each others company, which can be rare in a MIL type situation, so I don't complain..

Previous trips:
DLR March 2013 // FFI

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: