Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #121
AngiTN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThatKevinSmith View Post
This is my spreadsheet. Glad it worked for most of you. I was told over on Lines that this was posted here.

To answer a few questions:

You need Microsoft Excel. Whether it be for a PC or a Mac. I've used it successfully on both. OpenOffice and GoogleDocs don't correctly read all of the complex formulas.

It doesn't include Refillable Mugs. If you are still going to buy those, add the cost of however many mugs you plan to buy to your OOP and TiW costs to get apples to apples.

There is no option for peak season. If you go during what Disney considers "peak season" your costs will probably be 7-10% higher. Disney charges more that time of year. Way too much work to add that to the spreadsheet and would make it way more confusing.

I have heard from a lot of people that if you are trying to download or signup with Internet Explorer an it doesn't work, that Google Chrome or Safari or Firefox all work fine. Try one of those browsers.

Anything else, just ask and I will try to check this.
Wanted to take a moment to thank you for all the work that is involved in this. It's a great tool. As good as any short of sitting down with menus and a calculator and noting each and every item you plan to order. I especially like and will utilize the page that shows you which meals cost the most and which the least, so I know which to use for DP and which to pay OOP.
AngiTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #122
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Thank you so much for making this tool!!!
My DH and I went Would run numbers until we were blue in the face!

And the best part b/c the reg. DDP was such a bad deal for us DH said I can ADD more TS...
So for our 10 day trip we are able to so 15 ( that's right 15) table meals!!

We are now saving over $400 by Paying OOP vs. DDP ( and that with the 15 TS)

It makes me sick at the thought of all the money we wasted on our last 3 trips...

Last edited by Lorilais_mommie; 02-13-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #123
Mewissy
Mouseketeer

Thank you for this!

We tried to calculate on our own and forgot about adding the meals the DP wouldn't cover.
Mewissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #124
farah
Mouseketeer

refillable mug

This may have been answered but is the refillable mug added to the calculation?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #125
loveswdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by farah
This may have been answered but is the refillable mug added to the calculation?
Mr. Smith, who designed it, said no, the mugs aren't in there so you will have to add them in to the end figures.

OUR TRIPS March '14-RPR/AKVK Oct '11-BCV Oct '10-HHI June '10 (Star Wars Weekends)-Swan/BWV Feb/March '09-OKW (Spring Training) Oct '08-SSR/POR (Alex's 1st trip) Oct '07-OKW (Our 1st MNSSHP) Dec '06-BCV (Our 1st MVMCP) Oct '05-BCV March '05-OKW/AKL (Spring Training/Jonathan's first trip!) Oct '03-BCV (first trip HOME!) Sept '02-POFQ (first trip for my mom!) Sept '01-Hard Rock Hotel (had to stay there!!) Sept '00-CSR (Millennium celebration) Sept '99-POFQ (honeymoon!) Jan '98 ASMu (first trip--the WDW addiction begins!)
loveswdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #126
MyTwoPrincesses
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing!!! This is awesome! I was really waffling back and forth on whether to do DDP or pay OOP. At first I thought I would do OOP but then when I looked at where I actually wanted to eat combined with the fact that I prefer dinner ADRs as well as TS every day, I thought that DDP might actually make sense - at worst I'd break even. Based on this calculator, there is a $4 savings with DDP. So basically it's a wash. Which means that I will, in fact, do DDP. I'm sure we'll use the mugs at least once and it's a good souvenier for us. I don't expect big savings, but I doubt there will be a "loss" for us.

Now a Mom of THREE Princesses.
DD (8) , DD (6) DD (3)

1989: Offsite
Nov 2009: 7 days at Coronado Springs
March 2011: 8 days at POFQ
May 2013: 7 days at Art of Animation (Lion King Suites)
Can't stay away! Heading back to WDW in February 2014: 6 days at Port Orleans Riverside
MyTwoPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #127
AstroDad
Earning My Ears

Just wanted to echo how great and also how accurate this spreadsheet is. Prior to seeing this thread, I just went in and estimated Restaurant by Restaurant how much my family would spend OOP in order to compare that to the cost of the DDP.

This spreadsheet came with $60 of the same estimate as mine for a 6 night stay. Impressive.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #128
iheartjuppy
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much for posting this! I was torn about the DDP but it calculated the same as I did: $695 for DDP (including the meals I'd need to pay OOP above and beyond the plan), $646 if just OOP. Considering my snack costs will likely be even less than the estimates, and I won't be ordering the most expensive thing on every menu, I expect our OOP may even be a little less than $646, so I'm definitely sticking with OOP. This was a great way to confirm.
iheartjuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #129
MyTwoPrincesses
DIS Veteran

Word to the wise, keep using this tool. I switched ONE reservation and now OOP is looking cheaper. If I switch TWO reservations, the difference looks like over $100. Am I really going to spend $12/day on snacks? If not, OOP can be even cheaper.

Now a Mom of THREE Princesses.
DD (8) , DD (6) DD (3)

1989: Offsite
Nov 2009: 7 days at Coronado Springs
March 2011: 8 days at POFQ
May 2013: 7 days at Art of Animation (Lion King Suites)
Can't stay away! Heading back to WDW in February 2014: 6 days at Port Orleans Riverside
MyTwoPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #130
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to say thanks again for posting this link, and to bump up the thread for others trying to make the decision.

When I first found this thread, I played around with my initial dining wish list, and we came out ahead by paying OOP - somewhere around a $300 difference.

I have now made my ADRs and plugged in more realistic numbers, and we came out WAY ahead paying OOP - over $600. We are definitely not doing the DDP unless FD or a promotion comes out. At $55 a day times 5 "Disney adults" is just way more than we would spend over the course of a day. If appetizers and tips were included like the old days, it would make sense, but otherwise it's too restrictive. We like to order an appetizer or two to share and a dessert or two to share, or pick up something else for dessert elsewhere.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #131
Weapon30
Earning My Ears

Did anyone else have a problem trying to log-in /sign-up? I tried to click that buttom and it shows that there in doing so.
Weapon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #132
iheartjuppy
Mouseketeer

If you are resort mug kind of people, it doesn't seem to take that into account in the calculations ($15/person). We wouldn't get any value out of the mugs so it doesn't sway our results but if you are a big mug-collector or -refiller you may want to add that to the DDP value.
iheartjuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #133
AngiTN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon30 View Post
Did anyone else have a problem trying to log-in /sign-up? I tried to click that buttom and it shows that there in doing so.
What browser? Some do not seem to work well with it. I can attest that Chrome, both PC and MAC, works great.
AngiTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #134
NotThatKevinSmith
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys
I just wanted to say thanks again for posting this link, and to bump up the thread for others trying to make the decision.

When I first found this thread, I played around with my initial dining wish list, and we came out ahead by paying OOP - somewhere around a $300 difference.

I have now made my ADRs and plugged in more realistic numbers, and we came out WAY ahead paying OOP - over $600. We are definitely not doing the DDP unless FD or a promotion comes out. At $55 a day times 5 "Disney adults" is just way more than we would spend over the course of a day. If appetizers and tips were included like the old days, it would make sense, but otherwise it's too restrictive. We like to order an appetizer or two to share and a dessert or two to share, or pick up something else for dessert elsewhere.
Glad it helped you all!
NotThatKevinSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #135
csmommy
DIS Veteran
Believes that every time you hear or see the word Disney a Tag Fairy gets their wings

OK, I must not get it. We are going for 9 nights on the DDP plan. I have plugged all our counter service meals & table service meals (1 of each per person, per day) & it says under Estimated Regular Dining Plan Cost:

Dining Plan Cost: $2,001.24
Meals/Snack not covered: NA
Gratuities: $194.81
Dining Credits NOT used per person: 20 - how can this be?
Total Dining Cost: #NA

What am I doing wrong?!

2013 ~ 7/28-8/6 split BCV & VWL
2012 ~ 5/24 - 5/28 BWV DS 17th
2011 ~ 8/9-8/17 AKVJH & BLT
2010 ~ 8/7-14 WWOPP
2009 ~ 8/13-22 split AKVK & BCV
2007 ~ split OKW & BW
2005 ~ split AKLJH & Swan
2000 ~ POFQ
1992 ~ POFQ ~ no kids yet
1990 ~ off site