Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
KristinRiess
Earning My Ears

Driving to Disneyland from Canada

We are going to be driving down to Disneyland. We are coming from the Edmonton Alberta area. For those who have driven, where did you stop each night on your way down?
KristinRiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:13 AM   #2
Disneylovers2000
DIS Veteran

Hi there KristinRiess! Welcome to the Dis boards!! Your post caught my eye as we are planning on the exact same trip in July. I too am from your neck of the woods!! We have not driven before but are very excited to this year! I will be as interested as you on the replies you get! We were planning on driving the coast down and then the fast track back home (the I-15) I think it is. Do you want to sight see on the way down or are you heading straight there and at what time of the year do you plan on going? That might make a difference to the type of information you will get. Are you travelling with kids? and how far do you think you would like to drive each day?
Disneylovers2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
KristinRiess
Earning My Ears

We will have a 4 yr old, 1 yr old and 14 yr old. We will be driving down end of April. I think we want to do 1 or 2 nights in Vegas on the way. We have a week that is dedicated to a wedding in San Diego and a week in Vegas. We also have another week timeframe for travel.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Bossy22
Mouseketeer

Hey felllow Albertans!!! I am from a little town just an hour and a half away. My wife and I have driven it twice in the last couple of years and will be driving again in less than 2 months!!! Here is some tips we picked up along the way!

1.) The first time we did this drive we did the coast down and the I15 back. The coast is beautiful and well worth the time but it takes time. We planned three days and couldn't stop much at all as the roads are soo twisty and curvy that it takes longer than a computer programs extimate by a mile!!!

2.) We have driven the I15 and stopped at different places each time. There is quite a few options so we never plan ahead and just see where we are when we are getting tired!

3.) This time we are driving straight (with multiple drivers) on the way down and then taking a night on the way back. We know we will be tired when we get there so we are thinking of one day in the parks, then a day at the beach, then some more Disney!!!
Bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
SGDisneyFam
Mouseketeer

Hello fellow Spruce Grover, we've never drove down although I have entertained the idea of it.

SGDisneyFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Virgoinab
Mouseketeer

Morning everyone

Was the snow/wind yesterday just a blast......

Fellow Alberta Disney lover here.

We drove down at Christmas went via sweetgrass/montana, utah etc.

Our overnight was in Idaho falls,which is about the halfway point. Great drive, not too tasking.
DL PPH Feb 2005
WDW GFH Sugar Loaf villa Feb 2008
DL DLH Wedding Dec 2011
DL DLH June 2012
DL DLH Oct 2012 Did two MHP! Great time!
DL DLH Christmas week Dec 2012
DL DLH Royal Suite April 2013
DL DLH 1 Bdrm Suite Sep 2013

WDW PORS Sep 5 - Sep 11 2014
Virgoinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
tdhickey
DIS Veteran

I have done this one and will not likely ever do it again. Drove from BC to Anaheim in 22 hours straight (multiple drivers).

- We stopped at lots of Denny's since they are always open
- Driving was cheaper than flying than, it isn't anymore
- We did the drive back in under 20 hours, I5 all the way

If you are just driving for the sake of getting there, I would avoid it if possible since it is a long drive and kind of boring. If you are making a trip out of it and going to other places, than go for it.

Flying is way cheaper!
tdhickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
Virgoinab
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhickey View Post
I have done this one and will not likely ever do it again. Drove from BC to Anaheim in 22 hours straight (multiple drivers).

If you are just driving for the sake of getting there, I would avoid it if possible since it is a long drive and kind of boring. If you are making a trip out of it and going to other places, than go for it.

Flying is way cheaper!

MMmm ya, gotta disagree with you on that, only in so far as where you are coming from.

We drove down over christmas, and it cost us about $600.00 in gas all total, if we had flown? Try more like $1900.00 from Edmonton for two ppl. That was me looking for two month's for deals, and we are west jet frequent flyer's with the M/C.

Even factoring in meals, and the one hotel night, is was cheaper to drive.

Now, coming from Vancouver, I am sure I could have gotten a cheaper flight, but again, not from Edmonton at that time. Heck even now we are looking at flights for April, and they are, just, too much. We will book anyway, but we would drive if we had the time again.
DL PPH Feb 2005
DL DLH Wedding Dec 2011
DL DLH June 2012

Old 02-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
mom2girls1974
Mouseketeer

We are doing our second road trip (from BC though) this Sept long weekend. We will take 5 days each way, last time we did it in 2 1/2 days each way. We only drive because our dd will not fly (she is Autistic and HATES planes!) but it is fun, we travel from place to eat to place to eat LOL as our youngest and has Celiac and a Anaphylactic allergy and eating is hard -so that is a challange, but fun. We stick to major cites and try some really neat places. We make the road trip alot of fun -not just "getting there" if you know what I mean.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Even driving down to Bellingham or Seattle will give you a huge savings on flights.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
SweetAlex
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgoinab View Post
MMmm ya, gotta disagree with you on that, only in so far as where you are coming from.

We drove down over christmas, and it cost us about $600.00 in gas all total, if we had flown? Try more like $1900.00 from Edmonton for two ppl. That was me looking for two month's for deals, and we are west jet frequent flyer's with the M/C.

Even factoring in meals, and the one hotel night, is was cheaper to drive.

Now, coming from Vancouver, I am sure I could have gotten a cheaper flight, but again, not from Edmonton at that time. Heck even now we are looking at flights for April, and they are, just, too much. We will book anyway, but we would drive if we had the time again.
Ouch!! $1,900 for 2, flights only? That's insane. We're lucky to be close enough to Seattle to fly out of there. We managed flights AND hotel for 6 nights (family of 4) for less than $1,700. Flying out of Vancouver was about double that. I didn't realize Edmonton was so expensive to fly from!

If we had the vacation time, we'd love to drive it. We did it as kids and I still remember all the fun stops. I say go for it.

SweetAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
Carolynleanne
Canadian Disney mom

Ohhh this reminds me of my growing up days. We always drove from Vancouver to Anaheim. I only flew to Disneyland once I had moved out and gotten married haha.

Our stops were always in Eugene Oregon and Sacramento California for the night. Just took the I-5 the whole way there.

We packed tons of snacks, stayed at hotels with free breakfasts and tried to so only one big meal a day (supper)

Although I have many good memories, I so prefer flying haha.

Next trip: December 2015
May 2014 Disneyland
March 2012 - Disneyland
January 2010 - DisneyWorld
March 2007 - Disneyland
September 2004 - Disneyland
April 2001 - Disneyland
September 1997 - Disneyland
October 1992 - Disneyland
-------
Blogging about life as a stay at home mom, reviewing great family friendly products and talking about my love of Disney.

http://www.momentsinmommyland.com/
Carolynleanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
Virgoinab
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetAlex View Post
Ouch!! $1,900 for 2, flights only? That's insane. We're lucky to be close enough to Seattle to fly out of there. We managed flights AND hotel for 6 nights (family of 4) for less than $1,700. Flying out of Vancouver was about double that. I didn't realize Edmonton was so expensive to fly from!

If we had the vacation time, we'd love to drive it. We did it as kids and I still remember all the fun stops. I say go for it.
Depending on the time of year, yup it can be very expensive to fly from Edmonton, especially if you want non stop. We just do not have good flights from here.

In the past we have been able to fly at times for about $600.00 per person, but you have to be on top of the sites looking for sales. And again, finding a direct flight can be tough. I really do not like connections, it takes about 3 1/2 hrs to fly direct to L.A, why would I want too turn that into 7 hrs total with connections, no thanks

The drive from Edmonton can be split between two days, if you don't mind 12 drive days, and we don't, does not bother us in the least to drive 12 even 13 hrs in a day especially during the summer when it stays light for so long. But that is us, not everyone would want to make it in two days.

On the way back we usually take three days.
DL PPH Feb 2005
DL DLH Wedding Dec 2011
DL DLH June 2012

Old 02-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #14
KristinRiess
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhickey View Post

Flying is way cheaper!
Since we are taking the babysitter for the wedding we wold be paying for her flights. We would be looking at at least $2,000 for flights then having to rent a car.

Not sure why I said a week in Vegas in my second post, it's a week in San Diego, week in Disney. Week for travel, I want to stay at least one night in vegas
Old 02-15-2013, 12:30 AM   #15
KristinRiess
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgoinab View Post
Depending on the time of year, yup it can be very expensive to fly from Edmonton, especially if you want non stop. We just do not have good flights from here.

In the past we have been able to fly at times for about $600.00 per person, but you have to be on top of the sites looking for sales. And again, finding a direct flight can be tough. I really do not like connections, it takes about 3 1/2 hrs to fly direct to L.A, why would I want too turn that into 7 hrs total with connections, no thanks

The drive from Edmonton can be split between two days, if you don't mind 12 drive days, and we don't, does not bother us in the least to drive 12 even 13 hrs in a day especially during the summer when it stays light for so long. But that is us, not everyone would want to make it in two days.

On the way back we usually take three days.
My husband is a non stop driver. He's driven from Ontario only stopping for 4 hrs sleep the whole trip. He's crazy. The length of our days depends on how well of a car rider the 1 yr old is.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: