Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Tdubswife
Mouseketeer

Question about car seat from auto rental places

I have been searching for this answer and I cannot find it anywhere, so I am turning to the experts here on this forum. We have not decided if we should bring our car seat for our toddler, rent one from the auto car rental place or just buy one. It seems pretty expenses to rent directly through the car rental place.

Here is my question. Can we rent a car seat for 1 day only? I think we may just buy one or rent one from another location, but we need to get our child safely to our vacation rental before I can send my husband back to return the car seat and get the cheaper option. I hope that makes sense... When I go to some of the auto rental sites, it did not give me an option to rent by the day, but rather we would have to rent for the entire time. We will be there for 2 weeks in June, so at 10 per day, we could buy a brand new one... Thank for any suggestions!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
daveyk
Mouseketeer

I've wrestled with this question myself. For us, the best option was to take ours out of the car, and just tote it into the airport.

At the checkin counter, we'd stuff it in a big black garbage bag, and check it as luggage. Most airlines will not count it as a bag.

Then, its right there when you get off the plane. No need to rent one, and no need to buy one.

And best of all, you know how to install it and can take comfort in knowing that you have one you've researched and trust...
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdubswife View Post
I have been searching for this answer and I cannot find it anywhere, so I am turning to the experts here on this forum. We have not decided if we should bring our car seat for our toddler, rent one from the auto car rental place or just buy one. It seems pretty expenses to rent directly through the car rental place.

Here is my question. Can we rent a car seat for 1 day only? I think we may just buy one or rent one from another location, but we need to get our child safely to our vacation rental before I can send my husband back to return the car seat and get the cheaper option. I hope that makes sense... When I go to some of the auto rental sites, it did not give me an option to rent by the day, but rather we would have to rent for the entire time. We will be there for 2 weeks in June, so at 10 per day, we could buy a brand new one... Thank for any suggestions!
Is your car seat certified for air travel? I suggest using it on the plane. I'm guessing your toddler will be used to staying in it. You can get a bag with wheels to tote the seat through the airport from Amazon or elsewhere.

Just a thought.
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Tdubswife
Mouseketeer

Thank you! Both are great suggestions!
Old 02-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

If you have a large heavy carseat and you don't want to schlep it or take it out of your car, consider buying a lighter one just for travel. The Cosco Touriva is a favorite for this purpose, and only costs about $40 at Walmart/Target.

Lots of people that I know keep a Touriva around as a loaner seat to be used by grandparents and babysitters, etc.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
Tdubswife
Mouseketeer

Hmmmmm....that may be good option! Our car seat is extremely heavy... Thank you for the idea!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

I sure wouldn't use a car seat from a rental agency...
Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
zumbergc
DIS Veteran

We've used the rental car car seats
Just install and away u go

Then u don't have lug the car seat around the airport.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
maurene
Mouseketeer

I'd call the rental car branch directly, to see if they can do a 1 day rental. If they allow it, maybe ask about returning the rented seat to another location so you don't have to go back to the airport.

I've always liked having a dedicated car seat for travel - that is lighter, cheaper than our everyday seats. We used to use the Cosco Scenera for our travel seat - but ours recently expired and I think my 3 yo is past the weight limit now. So, I just bought an Evenflo Maestro for our March trip. It is suprisingly light weight (but still kinda bulky). Yeah, its kind of a pain to have to drag around (I do check ours with our other checked baggage). But, probably easier to drag it around then have to return to the airport to return a car seat you rent for one day (which also mean installing and uninstalling 2 car seats).
maurene is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: