Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

I have only stayed at AKL once but it is one of my favorite resorts and I remember thinking they really tried hard to make sure we saw animals a LOT. I paid for a standard room but was upgraded to a savannah view on Kudu trail - about three rooms from the elevator - lowest floor. I walked into my room and the zebra were out grazing - I was amazed. I saw lots of animals throughout my stay - really could watch them while sitting on my bed. So I wonder how common that is - . I will definitely stay there in the future - will probably take my chances and book a standard view room though instead of paying extra for a savannah view - I won't mind as there are so many viewing areas.

Sorry that the animals weren't where you could see them - bummer. Hope your future trips are more enjoyable.

1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *

POR 2009 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
DLRP Trip Reports
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #17
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
We didn't even have a Savannah view but we saw tons of animals. We enjoyed going out to the viewing areas each evening.

We liked the overall resort too though. We weren't there just for the animals.
ME, too!!

I wasn't paying extra for S view when I knew I wasn't going to sit on the balcony.
( TOO HOT in AUG)
We went to a savannah before we left everyday and when we returned every afternoon or evening. We saw ALOT of great stuff.
But, I have to admit, LUCK was involved. Sometimes it was one minute later and all the animals had wondered away. I thought to myself " you poor familes, you don't know what you just missed".
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip DEC 2013 POP/Caribbean Beach Resort I have to wait until 2015!
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
JennSaint
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohionola View Post
Donít get me wrong, I am having a great time and love the resort but I am a little disappointed on the animals in the savannah. We have been at the room in the mornings, evenings, and even midday. Other than a few birds, we have not seen more than 2 or 3 animals in the savannah total (all have been these goat looking things). I am not sure what I expected, but I thought there would be a little more. We would stay at AK again in a heartbeat but I canít say I would pay extra for a savannah view. Is this normal or are there usually more animals?

Which Savannah are you facing?? Some are better than others. Love AKL it's one of my favorite resorts!!
CBR~11/29-12/5/00, Disneyland~5/9-5/13/01, AKL~2/12-2/20/02, AKL~2/12-18/03, Universal PBH~2/18-2/21/03,Bonita Springs 2/12-2/21/04 & WDW Dolphin 2/21/04, WDW~ POFQ~2/15-2/21/05 & BCVillas 2/21-2/25/05, POFQ~2/17-2/25/06, Hyatt GC~2/18-2/23/07, All Star Sports~ 2/12-2/15/08 & CSR~ 2/15-2/20/08, CBR~2/14-2/21/2009 & Caribe Royale 2/21-2/24/09, AKV Jambo~2/10-2/20/2010, Bahama Bay Resort 2/20-2/28/2011, BWV & BCV 2/19/12-2/26/12, CBR 2/18-2/25/2013
JennSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #19
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyag View Post
Wow, I have pics of giraffe, zebras, and ankole cattle from our several visits to AKL..No matter what time of day, something was always out there.
hard to beat sitting on one's balcony in the morning enjoying a cup of coffee and locking eyes with a giraffe.

keishashadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #20
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

I saw tons of animals in December. I'm not sure which savannah we had. We were on the right side of the lobby, about halfway down. We could also see the MK fireworks from the balcony. That was a great surprise.

When I stayed at Kidani, I didn't see as many animals and no zebras or giraffes from my room.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #21
lady_hlh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
My friend spent her Disneymoon there; they were right where the animals were let in on the savannah every morning and taken out every night.

Their ritual every morning was to make a pot of coffee and sit out on the balcony and watch them bring the animals in every morning. They had some fantastic pics!
We got an upgrade to one of those areas were the animals were housed. The view itself was ugly because we were looking at fencing and a barn but we saw giraffe, zebras, and ankole cattle all the time. We were at the very end of an extremely long long long hallway, the animals were so close to the building in that little back area that it was amazing.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #22
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_hlh

We got an upgrade to one of those areas were the animals were housed. The view itself was ugly because we were looking at fencing and a barn but we saw giraffe, zebras, and ankole cattle all the time. We were at the very end of an extremely long long long hallway, the animals were so close to the building in that little back area that it was amazing.
You sound like you was in the room we had, we was upgraded to the Arusha savannah, we had 2 rooms on the 3rd floor right next to the stairwell! We could see the fence line but considered it the best place to be as we ALWAYS had at least 3 animals outside at every time,

We nearly always had giraffe there was normally a huddle of 3 or 4 plus when they was let out in the morning or fed it was right outside our balcony

I considered this way better then any if the middle savannah rooms!
We was lucky to get the upgrade as we had 2 rooms and was there for 21 nights!! That would have cost a small fortune.

Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #23
ohionola
Mouseketeer

We were in the sunset. Finally, on the last day we were able to see some more animals. I guess I was more shocked then anything. I had expected more animals, more of the time. It was a great time and we will probably stay at AK again.
ohionola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #24
4everGoofy
Earning My Ears

We have stayed many times with numerous views and have always seen many animals.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #25
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!

Just curious how cold it is down there right now. When we went 2 years ago, just after New Years, it was in the 20s at night and in the 40s during the day. We went to AK & AKL and there were not many animals out at either place. It was just too cold for them. The ones that were out were just laying around in sunny spots trying to soak up any warmth that they could. I was wearing my double winter coat (2 coats in one that zip together. One has down and the other kapock fill) I also had on 2 sweatshirts, ear muffs and a hat and the hood of my coat up. I had to buy gloves down there because I didn't have any with me. I was freezing. I pitied the animals.

The stores were making a killing on the sale of sweatshirts. You could tell they had pulled the racks from the back room with all the cold weather items on them.
97HINB&RIUS99CSR00WL01HRPDTD02HINB&WL30AnV&A03DTDTD04BWDTD&AKLSunsetSafari05DTDTD&POR06DTDTD07ASMFS08Wonder&BC09November28Magic&DTDTD10BW11May29Dream1/12DTDTD&WL8/12Fantasy40An.Remy&DTDTDJoinedDVC4/13AKVCL,DCLDream,BLT11/13Fantasy Thanksgiving/AKLVKidani

Disneyholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #26
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohionola
Don’t get me wrong, I am having a great time and love the resort but I am a little disappointed on the animals in the savannah. We have been at the room in the mornings, evenings, and even midday. Other than a few birds, we have not seen more than 2 or 3 animals in the savannah total (all have been these goat looking things). I am not sure what I expected, but I thought there would be a little more. We would stay at AK again in a heartbeat but I can’t say I would pay extra for a savannah view. Is this normal or are there usually more animals?
What savannah are you on? We were on Arusha for 2 nights only and we always had animals! Ankole, giraffe, those little warthogs, ostrich...My dh made a time lapse video and the giraffes were out there all night long. We have them laying down in the night it was awesome.

Just saw you were on sunset. Sorry you didnt have more animals. Arusha is amazing.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #27
mya12347
Earning My Ears

We book a pool view but we have an upgrade room for free with the savanah view , we stayed at room 3272( I don't remember the trail but all is a hall next to the vacation club to the right all the way and the dirt hall to the right ) and like I said before around 5 pm we can see all the animals! I wish I can upload my pictures ( we stayed from jan 29 to feb 6)
mya12347 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: