Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #1471
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Steamed toast was speciality that was unknown to us before that trip, too. When we were at breakfast we each got two slices of toast, my parents and I got perfectly normal crispy slices. Katharina's were warm, but also slightly moist and not at all crispy. As if they had warmed them with hot steam. We had no idea how that could have happened and she did not eat those slices...
If the bread had freezer burn, it could happen. It happened to half of Evan's toaster waffle the other day (and became a reminder of WHY you seal up such things well before putting them back in the freezer).

We had an old toaster here at the office that would do that one one side of the bread without fail but not the other. It appeared to be a setting issue but for the life of me I could never figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
That trip was quite spectacular as so many funny things happened that we all still love to talk about today. We were staying in friends' (he is Greek) vacation home on one of the Cycladic islands (Syros) and one evening we were supposed to go out for dinner. Since the first evening we dared to show up at a quarter to 8 pm and the whole restaurant was upset that people arrived sooo much too early for dinner, we had decided to wait until 9pm or so before we would head out. When it was 9pm I was famished but the rest of the family had been snacking the whole evening and decided that they did not want to head out that late anymore. I got into quite a fit (there might have been some tears) as I was sooo hungry that the rest of the family started to quickly assemble something to eat for me. My father - trying to lighten the mood - was going to get some tomatos and while doing that started to sing " Tomato, tomato, where are you?" After he repeated that line three times it suddenly knocked on the door! And we all shouted out: The tomato is at the door! But it turned out to be friends of our friends, who were Greek, did not speak a single word of English, only the 11 year old son had learned some English in school. And she spoke some Italian which she used to communicate with my father who speaks French. It turned out that they wanted to invite us to lunch for the coming Sunday. We happily accepted the invitation and since that Sunday was Palm Sunday for the Greek orthodox it was a day of fasting, which meant no meat. But we were treated to about 10 different fish dishes, mainly grilled. My mother hates fish and this was the only time I ever saw her eat fish. They had a huge lobster like animal (wikipedia seems to call it spiny lobster?) which was surprisingly tasty and the only time I ever enjoyed a shellfish. It was quite an experience! And the best part is that the whole family kept a trip journal together which my parents typed into the computer (using different fonts for the different authors) and put it together with pictures from that trip. The perfect memory....

Sorry that got longer than I wanted, just thinking about Greek isles brings back so many memories of fun stories!
Fun times! I absolutely love those kinds of memories.

Somehow I thought your lovely lunch was then going to include tomatoes!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #1472
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

So jealous! Venice is one of my favorite cities in the world and I would love to do the Greek Islands. I was stationed in Northern Greece when I was in the military and just ate up the history of the area. I lucked into a last minute GTY rate in 2010 on an 11 night Disney Med cruise and I doubt I would ever get a deal like that again. I really hope it works out for you!

Jill in CO
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #1473
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
So jealous! Venice is one of my favorite cities in the world and I would love to do the Greek Islands. I was stationed in Northern Greece when I was in the military and just ate up the history of the area. I lucked into a last minute GTY rate in 2010 on an 11 night Disney Med cruise and I doubt I would ever get a deal like that again. I really hope it works out for you!

Jill in CO
I saw you got the Southern booked yesterday on the 1st day thread Very cool! That is going like hotcakes.

I hope it works out. It is pricey, no doubt. I did look at it though and the crazy thing is it's actually about the same (pp/per day) as what we paid for the Alaska Wonder in 2011, it's just 2 days longer. The 4 night Dream was still more expensive on the pp/per day side...but we also were in a higher cat stateroom. I booked 5C as I just don't see K being able to make it, hopefully I won't regret that but it's so far out I just didn't want to tie up more deposit than that either. It may not sell as fast simply as it's hidden due to glitch in the site so I will be watching prices.

Although I've been before...really...it was in HS and then just after college. Going now, as an adult, with Jeff would be so completely different and it so exciting. The 7 day med is a much better deal but we didn't like the ports nearly as much.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #1474
TeresaNJ

Knows the tricks to get the Tag Fairies' attention! Likes all pretty colors Gets teary when she hears Garth sing "The Dance"

I don't travel to the TR Board very often, so just read the first installment of your trip report, meeting you & your family! Got me hooked! Can't wait to read more.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #1475
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post

We are currently booked on a ....

9-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Disney Magic!

Time will tell but we may well be celebrating a big birthday for Jeff in Greece!
How very cool!
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #1476
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaNJ View Post
I don't travel to the TR Board very often, so just read the first installment of your trip report, meeting you & your family! Got me hooked! Can't wait to read more.
Hi and So happy to have you here! Look at all the pretty tags you have

We are only a little more than half way through so plenty still to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
How very cool!
Thanks! I am super excited. It is a long shot but awfully fun to dream about.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #1477
norybell
DIS Veteran

All caught up! Looks like it was a great day, particularly brunch, the lounge, & the solo time. Looking forward to reading all about your CC day...hope it lives up to the E's expectations!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
DISNEY TRIPS: 1977 - Vacation Villas 1978-1992 - many trips, all Vacation Villas or Treehouse Villas 1996 - Saratoga Springs August 2001 - YC May 2004 - YC April 2009 - YC October 2009 - CR/YC May 2010 - POR/GF/BWI October 2010 - POR/CSR/Poly January 2011 - CBR/WL April 2011 - Pop/GF/BC May 2011 - Disneyland GCH September 2011 - Poly October 2011 - AKL January 2012 - CR February/March 2012 - POFQ/Poly August 2012 - GF/BWI May 2013 - GF/BWV Sept 2013 - BCV Sept 2014 - ???

TRIP REPORTS:Nory Report III: In the Third Person! Nory and Simba CRAWL through the World: A Sept/Oct 2013 PTR Fleeing Wedding Showers for Epcot Flowers It's a SO-LO trip report!

Old 02-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #1478
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Quote:
I saw you got the Southern booked yesterday on the 1st day thread Very cool! That is going like hotcakes.

I hope it works out. It is pricey, no doubt. I did look at it though and the crazy thing is it's actually about the same (pp/per day) as what we paid for the Alaska Wonder in 2011, it's just 2 days longer. The 4 night Dream was still more expensive on the pp/per day side...but we also were in a higher cat stateroom. I booked 5C as I just don't see K being able to make it, hopefully I won't regret that but it's so far out I just didn't want to tie up more deposit than that either. It may not sell as fast simply as it's hidden due to glitch in the site so I will be watching prices.

Although I've been before...really...it was in HS and then just after college. Going now, as an adult, with Jeff would be so completely different and it so exciting. The 7 day med is a much better deal but we didn't like the ports nearly as much.
I'm super excited about the Southern itineraries. Something different and cheaper than the Fantasy Eastern I moved from May.

If you need a good hotel in Venice, I stayed at an awesome B&B right off St Mark's Square....it's family run and such a cool place. One of the owners looks a lot like Johnny Depp...and he cooks! http://www.locandaorseolo.com/

Jill in CO
Old 02-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #1479
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by norybell View Post
All caught up! Looks like it was a great day, particularly brunch, the lounge, & the solo time. Looking forward to reading all about your CC day...hope it lives up to the E's expectations!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Hi Nory!!! It was a great day all around. I don't know that I could do a ton of at sea days, we are a bit to go go go go for that but oh they are lovely once in a while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I'm super excited about the Southern itineraries. Something different and cheaper than the Fantasy Eastern I moved from May.

If you need a good hotel in Venice, I stayed at an awesome B&B right off St Mark's Square....it's family run and such a cool place. One of the owners looks a lot like Johnny Depp...and he cooks! http://www.locandaorseolo.com/

Jill in CO
Honestly those were quite tempting to me but I know Jeff isn't terribly interested so I didn't run them by him, plus at the time I was thinking a trip for 4 of us, not just the adults and so with school just doesn't work. Sadly this is definitely more than the Fantasy Eastern I moved from late August but those dates wouldn't have worked after all so I guess that part is a bit irrelevant.

We will need lodging in Venice for at least a night and possibly more if this pans out so I will definitely check that out, thanks!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #1480
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
I am SO happy for you guys! That is SOOOO exciting. I've been reading up like crazy, reconsidering my room requests and just getting so excited in general for it. We are at double digits but oh I wish it was sooner.
You and me both! I can't wait to get out of here. It'll be amazing to see the place in person.

Quote:
You can hijack away, it is wonderful wonderful news and I'm glad you can share it, and we can be part of the surprise! Do let me know if there is anything specific you want me to check out for you while we are there,
Mostly I'm worried about the traffic to/from Honolulu and how it will affect our ability to see the island, get to things like Pearl Harbor/Diamond Head, etc. We still want to do a lot of exploring and we love to get to places early. I'm just not sure we'll have the ability to do that with the rush hour traffic.

We may end up skipping the restaurants on-site (aside from counter-service) just due to the cost. I think there will be a lot of PB&J sandwiches in our future. What are your plans?

Quote:
Quick update with some breaking news.

It's a bit of a long shot that we can pull this off but I moved our 2014 dummy cruise booking to one we really hope we can do. There are a lot of moving pieces that may or may not allow this to work out but I'm sure hoping it does!

We are currently booked on a ....

9-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Disney Magic!

Departs from: Venice, Italy

Ports of Call:
Katakolon, Greece
Piraeus (Athens), Greece
Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey
Rhodes, Greece (Greek Isles)
Mykonos, Greece
Venice, Italy

It could be 4 of us, or possibly just 2! Moving pieces are $$ (of course), other vacation plans (hoping for an adult only Australia trip but I think that's more likely for 2015) and kids schedules. Time will tell but we may well be celebrating a big birthday for Jeff in Greece!
WOW! That sounds like an amazing trip!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #1481
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
You and me both! I can't wait to get out of here. It'll be amazing to see the place in person.
I can't wait!!!

Quote:
Mostly I'm worried about the traffic to/from Honolulu and how it will affect our ability to see the island, get to things like Pearl Harbor/Diamond Head, etc. We still want to do a lot of exploring and we love to get to places early. I'm just not sure we'll have the ability to do that with the rush hour traffic.
I hear you there. Honestly we have both seen some of those things more than once so I think our plan is more around the resort/North Shore and we may avoid downtown as much as possible though will need to head in a little to visit my family, and possibly the office for me. But as we have a full week I think we can time it around rush hour. It sounds awful and it's been so long since I drove there I don't have a frame of reference other than dealing with traffic her or other big cities. Nothing worse than sitting in traffic on vacation! I will definitely let you know what I find.

Quote:
We may end up skipping the restaurants on-site (aside from counter-service) just due to the cost. I think there will be a lot of PB&J sandwiches in our future. What are your plans?
Hopefully a mix of making dinner and going out but probably not a lot of counter service at all. Currently I am planning on 3 dinners out, one at each of the on site restaurants and one at Roy's. The rest will hopefully primarily be handled out of our villa but as we have a studio, that will be a bit of a challenge and I'm going to have to get creative. I'm sure we will have a couple of lunches out on the fly from counter service or while we are out.

Quote:
WOW! That sounds like an amazing trip!
It will be! Hopefully we can actually go on it. The real issue will be flights which are pretty much insane. I am hoping with this much time we can make it work but who really knows. Far too far out to get a finger on that one yet.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #1482
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Your cruise sounds like heaven... I love Venice and sailing the Mediterranean should be absolutely amazing... I've never been to Greece... it should be beautiful with those beautiful blue skies and water against the white buildings... & getting to see the Acropolis... WOW...

(do either of the boys read the Percy Jackson books? Good way to get into mythology...
Old 02-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #1483
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Just keepin' up with the chatter !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 02-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #1484
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Your cruise sounds like heaven... I love Venice and sailing the Mediterranean should be absolutely amazing... I've never been to Greece... it should be beautiful with those beautiful blue skies and water against the white buildings... & getting to see the Acropolis... WOW...

(do either of the boys read the Percy Jackson books? Good way to get into mythology...
It will be amazing! Even more amazing if it actually happens with all four of us, the flights are just ridiculous.

Very into Percy around here, we've all read them all (well except Jeff and Taylor that is). I even made the boys some Camp Half Blood T shirts a few years ago before the first movie came out. The boys would be over the moon that is for sure. They won't know about it unless it ends up being a done deal though. Speaking of Percy though....Sea of Monsters is finally in post production, I am glad the franchise didn't die off movie wise even though we were all disappointed in the Lightening Thief.

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: