Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #136
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
I was wondering that too, but I guess that makes sense. Seems like there might be a way to do it safely with life boats? After all, usually the plan with life boats is that another boat will come by and pick up those passengers, they're not actually expected to row to shore unless they happen to be close to one.
Even with a lifeboat it would be hard to step/jump into the lifeboat which would be bouncing and moving about and at a different rate and movement from that of the vessel.

AKK

Last edited by Tonka's Skipper; 02-14-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #137
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

IA reort that she is getting ready to enter the bay or at least approaching it.

The tugboat Resolve Pioneer was pull/lead boat, (doing the towing) when she had a mechcanical breakdown on the tow winch and the cable broke. She has been released.

The tugboats, Roland A Falgout, Hawk and 1 or 2 more boats are going to be taking her up the channel.

A note from the terminal, children and handcapped passigners will be the first off the vessel....not sure how that will all work out, taking into account families etc.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #138
neg58
DIS Veteran

I was watching CNN and it was reported that they are doing some of the customs things on board (since they never ported, no one could bring on bad things or buy anything over the limits anyway), so people might be able to just walk off.

Sounds like most of the interior cabin occupants are on the upper decks as there is no a/c. Those with verandahs are using their own.

There were actually a few reports by people who said it wasnt' that bad, but they admitted it was hard on babies, toddlers and the elderly.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #139
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

DS worked on oil rigs. The people were lowered on rafts from helicopters onto the platforms. I nearly died watching!!!

Now, Tenders would have worked. Was that ever a consideration...one ship to another?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #140
poohfriend
DIS Veteran

Alabama Papers Now Reporting

that passengers not expected to disembark until Friday Morning.

...something I think Tonka's Skipper suggested might be the case this morning.

It sounds like it will be a difficult process to get Triumph docked.
Boardwalk Inn 9/07-- welcomed our Soldier Home!;
CSR 1/2008 ; POR 3/2008 & Wonder Cruise 3/2008...What a beautiful Day at CC
Circle of Life 5K..Jan 2009 WL; Magic Cruise December 2009;
Star Wars Weekend 05/10 at POP'
ASMu & Dream Cruise 1/2011
Dream Cruise March 2012 & Yacht Club Concierge plus Fantasy Preview March 2012
AoA -- September 2012; Contemporary November 2012
AoA -- August 2013
Eastern Caribbean Disney Fantasy May 2014
poohfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #141
Jubilee
<3 my kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
I just am surprised that since the first thread was closed down, that anyone would start new ones. That was kind of a hint to me that the subject matter has a way of getting hot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
One problem that Disney would have, they don't have the other cruise ships in the area to bring them food like Carnival has. In that sense, the people on the Triumph were lucky that they were on a cruise line that has a lot of ships.

Even with your new less sarcastic posts, I still think you're the only one here actually edging the line on whether we're keeping on topic. I feel like you are just here to bait people into discussion, not OP's intended topic of information.

For everyone else, thanks for the relevant, drama-free discussion.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #142
Phil'sFrontier
DIS Veteran

I wonder if they need power to use the lifeboats? I would be awful tempted to just get a group together and board a lifeboat. This is like router what those poor people are going through.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #143
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

Hey y'all... can we please keep this thread on topic and not throw in our own sarcastic commentary? Whoever started it... we can all finish it... "its takes two to tango." I like this thread being only informational and thoughtful, not cat fights... Please, let's remain on topic...

Please don't respond to my post and lets just get back to the topic on hand... Thank you.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #144
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil'sFrontier View Post
I wonder if they need power to use the lifeboats? I would be awful tempted to just get a group together and board a lifeboat. This is like router what those poor people are going through.
Some ships require power to lower the lifeboats, the Disney Magic and Wonder included. But they usually have back up power available for those. It has become a new standard to have lifeboats that can be launched using only gravity. The Dream and Fantasy have this. I believe they have electronic assist, but in the case of power loss, they can be lowered manually... but yes very tempting to just take a boat...

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #145
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
Now, Tenders would have worked. Was that ever a consideration...one ship to another?
Were there even tenders available? I know the ships I cruised on 30 years ago had their own tenders with them, but I think a lot of cruise lines hire local tenders rather than carry them on the ship. And of course, if the seas were too rough, no dice. That is also assuming there was another ship with capacity to take on the passengers.

SS Norway used to have it's own tender that they would hoist on and off the ship in port since there were many ports it could not dock in.
I can't get the photo to link, so here is a link to it.
http://www4.worldisround.com/photos/0/47/217_o.jpg
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #146
wdrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
Two problems with using tenders to get passengers off the Triumph and to another ship. One, getting passengers onto a tender is not a risk-free operation. If you have been tendered into a port for a port of call, its usually been done while in the calm waters of a sheltered harbor or bay -- not in the open ocean where even minor swells of 3-5 feet can make transfers risky. Keep in mind that during normal tendering a ship has power to stabilize itself while the passengers. The Triumph has no control and can't stabilize itself while passengers transfer to the tenders.

The second problem is that if 3,000 passengers are transferred to another ship, then you basically need another cruise ship, an empty cruise ship, to accommodate those passengers. Carnival would have had to cancel another's ship's cruise and divert it to meet up with the Triumph.

Edited to Add: The Triumph's lifeboats would serve as tenders.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #147
Fielhol
Mouseketeer

As much as this is a horrible tragedy. Because it is. But not one life was lost. No one died. And in recent news of other ships accidents, this is a blessing. So as much as it is a hardship to poop in a bag and be hungry, they all get to go home to their loved ones. But I cannot imagine their life and stress level right now
Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #148
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Has anyone heard why they're not getting hotel rooms for passengers in Mobile? Here in Alabama, the president of Mobile's visitors bureau is quoted as saying that they have plenty of hotel rooms for all, not just the ones they reserved for crew members. I figure there must be a reason, but it wasn't addressed at the press conference. Not looking to start a Carnival bash, just sincerely curious if a reason has been given.
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #149
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post

Were there even tenders available? I know the ships I cruised on 30 years ago had their own tenders with them, but I think a lot of cruise lines hire local tenders rather than carry them on the ship. . .
When I sailed on HAL and Princess (as recently as last week), they routinely used their lifeboats as tenders.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #150
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jcg View Post
Has anyone heard why they're not getting hotel rooms for passengers in Mobile? Here in Alabama, the president of Mobile's visitors bureau is quoted as saying that they have plenty of hotel rooms for all, not just the ones they reserved for crew members. I figure there must be a reason, but it wasn't addressed at the press conference. Not looking to start a Carnival bash, just sincerely curious if a reason has been given.
I think someone posted a couple pages back that the people on the ship would rather get back to Huston then stay anywhere.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: