Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #91
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Hey Truck and Hello JimGA,

I beleive you both are correct. Back in my day, we didnt have these new fagled heads!

I think the picture will be interesting.

We have really no idea the extent of the engine and mechcanical repairs needed, but if 1/2 of the reports coming form the vessel are true...................there will be a massive amount of clean up and replacement in the vessel.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #92
RGLakatos
Mouseketeer

I can just imagine the lawsuits that will be filed against Carnival in the following week.
RGLakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #93
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGLakatos View Post
I can just imagine the lawsuits that will be filed against Carnival in the following week.
Filing and winning a lawsuit is 2 different things. All of these lines have contract we all sign rather flippently, but they are richly written in 100's of years of Maritime law and history.

Yet I am sure all the passigners will be approached even at the dock!

AKK
Old 02-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #94
RGLakatos
Mouseketeer

You are right.....filing and winning are 2 different things but I am sure there will be plenty of people who file and win.....it's evident as it was also done in the past.
RGLakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #95
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

I feel so bad for the folks on board. Being so close to land now and it's still going to be another 10+ hours before they dock. CNN says the ship is moving about a mile an hour. It has to be totally frustrating for the passengers and crew.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #96
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Update

Canadian News just reported the ship is not expected to arrive until around 11P.M.

Keeping all in our Prayers.. .
NFLDERS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #97
truck1
Growing older but not up.

I think one of the reasons why the arrival time is changing is simply due to CBP. That are only at the ports during a set time frame. If a ship for example comes in at say 10pm CBP ( along with Carnivals care team etc)is prob not going to be there as they have other obligations etc. In most cases no big deal. The Dream has done it at least once. Same thing with the stevedores. Even if the ship makes the pier and is tied up how many people onboard are going to do something stupid because CBP isn't there to meet the ship and they have to stay onboard another night? So in the end its easier to slow the tow and park her for a night until everyone is ready for her.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #98
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
I think one of the reasons why the arrival time is changing is simply due to CBP. That are only at the ports during a set time frame. If a ship for example comes in at say 10pm CBP ( along with Carnivals care team etc)is prob not going to be there as they have other obligations etc. In most cases no big deal. The Dream has done it at least once. Same thing with the stevedores. Even if the ship makes the pier and is tied up how many people onboard are going to do something stupid because CBP isn't there to meet the ship and they have to stay onboard another night? So in the end its easier to slow the tow and park her for a night until everyone is ready for her.
For once my friend I hope your wrong. Due to the safety issues the longer they are on the dead vessel and more the possiblity of additional problems. Add to that the conditions the passigners and crew for that matter, have been going though, I *HOPE* that no one would be playing games. As indepentent as CBP is they would look pretty bad in the news if it got out they just couldn't be bothered to help these poor people out by being there!

AKK
Old 02-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #99
neg58
DIS Veteran

I think they are moving as fast as possible. They will bring in the personal they need, government or Carnival or port. I'm a government worker - I love overtime!

They will only care about getting people off at first. The cargo and waste will wait until daylight.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #100
slg4crzn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S
I'm thinking that transferring passengers ship to ship while at sea is a fairly dangerous project, unless done via helicopter or something.

The Triumph has now cancelled sailings through mid-April. I am scheduled to take a 5 day cruise on her in September from Galveston to Progeso and Cozumel. My first cruise, other than in a friend's cabin cruiser from Newport Beach to Catalina Island.
I read on Carnivals Facebook page that is exactly why they didnt transfer passengers to another ship. Safety. It turned out to be a bigger task than they thought-getting to shore.
slg4crzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #101
ValentineJulie
Mouseketeer

Is there any good reason why they couldn't have chartered boats to go and get the passengers off??

Sorry if I have missed this in another thread.

ValentineJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #102
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
For once my friend I hope your wrong. Due to the safety issues the longer they are on the dead vessel and more the possiblity of additional problems. Add to that the conditions the passigners and crew for that matter, have been going though, I *HOPE* that no one would be playing games. As indepentent as CBP is they would look pretty bad in the news if it got out they just couldn't be bothered to help these poor people out by being there!

AKK
I agree Tonka's Skipper. They are not going risk keeping those folks out there any longer if they can help it. CBP personnel or Carnival's safety team having other obligations is an unacceptable reason to prolong this nightmare for those passengers and crew. I would think anyone needed to expedite getting these folks off that ship would be on call.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #103
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

I just saw a report the tow line broke, they are going to have to rig another one.

She is said to be drifting to the east due to the western wind, so they will have to bring her up to the west, to get in position to enter the ship channel.

These are just some of the things that happen towing a 102,00 ton ship.

AKK
Old 02-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #104
emeraldluvsbama
Earning My Ears

I just heard on the local news here in Mobile that there is a broken tow line and that is slowing it down even more now.
emeraldluvsbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #105
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

From the video I saw she has quite a list.

Those people on board have to about ready to snap.... like the tow line.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: