Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #211
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

Great update. I love the hippo picture. That had to be really cool to see one that close.

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-BLT LV (DS 1st MVMCP)
Old 02-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #212
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

Loved your update! and watching your front seat view of EE! I agree with you about AKL - it is so beautiful but the downside is the only transportation besides a car is the bus.

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #213
gracer9977
Happiness is Disney

So happy to read more of your awesome trip.

We love EE too. Last time we were there the ride wait was so short we went on a few times in a row. We had a great time with the ride photos. My favorite one (it's hanging on my wall here at home) shows my niece and my brother in the front and they are pretending that they are sleeping and my husband is flexing his muscles. My little princess is in the back hanging on for dear life and I am the only one with my arms up. Love that pic!!!

Looking forward to hearing more on your trip.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #214
lvjen777
disney ♥ addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracer9977 View Post
So happy to read more of your awesome trip.

We love EE too. Last time we were there the ride wait was so short we went on a few times in a row. We had a great time with the ride photos. My favorite one (it's hanging on my wall here at home) shows my niece and my brother in the front and they are pretending that they are sleeping and my husband is flexing his muscles. My little princess is in the back hanging on for dear life and I am the only one with my arms up. Love that pic!!!

Looking forward to hearing more on your trip.

That sounds like a really great photo!

I would love to try taking some funny ride photos, it's on my ever-growing list of Disney things I want to do "someday" !!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #215
Wishes2you
Mouseketeer

Very much enjoyed your latest update to your TR. Like you I Love Animal Kingdom and photographing it. We too were fortunate to see all the animals out. I think we have some of the same photos even. LOL We have a good eye! I was very excited to get a really good close up of one of the giraffes. Love your front row photos from EE. I went on it 6 yrs ago, I can say I went on it but once is enough. This trip I just photographed DD & DDBF on it. We ate a late lunch at Flametree while watching the parade. It was great. Love the part about your DS, "DS decided this little begging guy was the bird-version of our dog, back at home. Ha Ha!" So very true. Love the picture of your son with DeVine. One of my trips goals was to photograph DeVine and I did. Oh I can so relate to the feelings of the photo pass incident. Looking forward to hear more from your trip. Very much enjoying it.

Jan. 2013 - CBR
Nov. 2006 - CBR
Old 02-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #216
lvjen777
disney ♥ addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishes2you View Post
Very much enjoyed your latest update to your TR. Like you I Love Animal Kingdom and photographing it. We too were fortunate to see all the animals out. I think we have some of the same photos even. LOL We have a good eye! I was very excited to get a really good close up of one of the giraffes. Love your front row photos from EE. I went on it 6 yrs ago, I can say I went on it but once is enough. This trip I just photographed DD & DDBF on it. We ate a late lunch at Flametree while watching the parade. It was great. Love the part about your DS, "DS decided this little begging guy was the bird-version of our dog, back at home. Ha Ha!" So very true. Love the picture of your son with DeVine. One of my trips goals was to photograph DeVine and I did. Oh I can so relate to the feelings of the photo pass incident. Looking forward to hear more from your trip. Very much enjoying it.

It really does seem like we are a lot alike!! I'm really glad you're enjoying my TR, thanks for following along !!!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #217
lvjen777
disney ♥ addict

Day Five - Wednesday 1/23 (part one)

Today was our Magic Kingdom day, yay!!

Based on the crowd calendars, the "best" day for MK had finally arrived. We love MK, so by this point we really were excited to get there!

However, since this was Day #5 of our trip, I think all the excitement and walking was starting to get to us, and we were pretty tired.
So, we planned on (hopefully) taking it at a slightly slower pace today! Ha!

We had just two basic goals for Magic Kingdom this year:

1- Ride Rides.
2- See New Fantasyland.
3- Get Citrus Swirls and/or Dole Whips.

(not necessarily in that order!)

We grabbed a quick on-the-go breakfast at Captain Cooks, and headed out.. On the way to the dock, we passed by the volcano pool.. so pretty!

It was supposed to be pretty nice today (high of 68), but we were wishing it was a tiny bit warmer for swimming!

At this point so early in the morning, it was pretty darn chilly!! brr. Come on sunshine...

We probably should've ridden the Monorail over to MK, but we really enjoy the boat ride over, so we chose it instead. I guess we'll just sacrifice freezing for scenery!

About half-way through our journey, we realize that maybe this wasn't the best decision ever........ brr!!!!

But soon enough, we are approaching the MK dock, yay!!

Look , there's the warm Monorail !

We get inside the park, onto Main Street, spot the Photopass photographer..... and...... REALIZE WE DON'T HAVE OUR PP+ LANYARD!!!!!!!!!! OMG !!!!!

It's back in our hotel room. arghhhhhh.

After we take turns blaming each other for whose fault this was , we decide that ALL of us will be going back to get it. We don't want our money to go to waste, and of course we're sure there will be lots of photos we will want to have taken today.... arghhhhhhh. DBF decides DS cannot be "in charge" of the lanyard anymore after the Everest incident, and now this.... So that puts DS into silent pout-mode. Oh great! I hope it's not going to be THIS kind of day!

Sooo, out the gates we go. Do we pick the warm Monorail this time? Heck no! The boat is at the dock ready and waiting, so we chose it again.

Look on the bright side --- we get the WHOLE boat to ourselves!!
(Naturally there are exactly ZERO people LEAVING the park at 9:00am!)

Going back to our room...

Hey, at least it's a scenic walk, right guys..? Hello..? Guys???

umm, I'll just wait for you guys right over here.....

So, the lanyard was retrieved, and NOW we go back to the boat dock.

We get the same boat captain (who makes fun of us), and we set sail yet again..

Goodbye Poly, I mean it this time!

This boat ride was actually kind of fun.. Since we were the ONLY ones on the boat again, the captain started telling us all sorts of old trivia about the Electric Water Parade and then showed us the remains of the old "wave machine" that used to run back when WDW was new. That was a really interesting bit of trivia that we really enjoyed hearing about!

And here we are back in the park again..... phew!

Not exactly the best way to start our morning!!!!!

We got a lot of rides accomplished pretty quickly... Luckily, the crowds were pretty nice so far!

We love to compare rides between WDW and DL..

Here's a few we came up with:

Space, small world, Pirates, Teacups - better in DL
Jungle, Haunted Mansion - better in WDW

Lunch today was here:

We don't eat burgers all that often , but we couldn't pass up coming back to this place again, because the fixin's bar is definitely the place to be! The sauteed mushrooms and onions....... yummy!

Oh, and don't forget "a couple" tubs of yummy warm "plastic cheese"....

DS had the pork sandwich again. On our last trip, he declared this sandwich to be "life-changing" (his words.. he cracks us up!) However, for some reason this time, he said it didn't change his life. What?! Say it isn't so!!

DBF said he was thoroughly disappointed in DS's excitement level about this sandwich compared to last time, and if he didn't start getting more excited about things, we were going to ship him home right away!

Frontierland shooting gallery = Tradition

We decided to go check out Tom Sawyer Island. We've done it before at DL, but never at WDW. It actually surprised us with how fun it was over there!!

We really enjoyed exploring all the caves, forts, bridges, etc.

Way better than DL. We were so glad we went over there!

(continued in part two.........)

Last edited by lvjen777; 02-13-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #218
kittylady1972
Disneyholic

More great updates...I'm finally caught up and ashamed at how far behind I am on getting my TR done...well BOTH of mine! That's my plan for today since I'm home all day with a sick kid.

And I wanted to mention I would LOVE more comparisons between DL and WDW from you. We are planning out our first trip together to the west coast this summer with the kids. DH and I have been to Disneyland a few times but it's been quite a while for me (over 15 years) and we've never done California Adventure. We have plans to hit ALL of the SoCal area amusement parks while there and spend three days exploring Disneyland and California Adventure which I hope is enough for those two parks.

Can't wait to read more and now I need to get myself in gear and get my TR going again!

The past:*Jan'14: DCL MAGIC*Sep/Oct'13 DCL WONDER*Aug'13:DLR*Jan'13: POP/SSR*Nov'12:VWL/DCL DREAM/THV*Jun'12:SWAN * Mar '12:BDWLK * Jun'11:BLT * Dec'09:SSR * May'09:BC&AKV *Oct'08:BCVDINING REPORT*Jun'08:POP* Nov'07:OKW&SSR*Oct'06:AKL*Jan '06:CR*Feb'04:BDWLK *Oct'03:POLY*Sep'01:CR*Oct'99:POR*Feb'97:ASM
Old 02-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #219
lvjen777
disney ♥ addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylady1972 View Post
More great updates...I'm finally caught up and ashamed at how far behind I am on getting my TR done...well BOTH of mine! That's my plan for today since I'm home all day with a sick kid.

And I wanted to mention I would LOVE more comparisons between DL and WDW from you. We are planning out our first trip together to the west coast this summer with the kids. DH and I have been to Disneyland a few times but it's been quite a while for me (over 15 years) and we've never done California Adventure. We have plans to hit ALL of the SoCal area amusement parks while there and spend three days exploring Disneyland and California Adventure which I hope is enough for those two parks.

Can't wait to read more and now I need to get myself in gear and get my TR going again!
TWO trip reports!? Now THAT is dedication! Trip Reports are so much fun, but they sure are lot of work to keep up, especially when pesky things like work, laundry, etc. keep getting in the way !!! I'm enjoying your Nov TR so far. My current Disney obsession is CRUISES, so I will definitely enjoy reading about that part of your trip!!! I'd really love to book a cruise in the next year or 2.

Wow on your summer trip.. sounds like you have a lot planned! I think you might be okay with 3 days.. that's the very minimum we do when we go.. figuring basically one day for each park, then one day to catch the stuff you didn't get to, or try to repeat the stuff you loved! Over the years, CA keeps getting better and better. We used to spend most of our time at DL, and not even a full day at CA, but now there is a lot to see & do at CA after the expansion/Carsland, etc we spend about equal time in both parks. Sounds like that is going to be a great trip for you guys!!!

I do have some more comparisons included on my next update, which I'll hopefully be posting sometime today or tomorrow for sure. Thanks so much for following along & commenting !!!
Old 02-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #220
kittylady1972
Disneyholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvjen777 View Post
TWO trip reports!? Now THAT is dedication! Trip Reports are so much fun, but they sure are lot of work to keep up, especially when pesky things like work, laundry, etc. keep getting in the way !!! I'm enjoying your Nov TR so far. My current Disney obsession is CRUISES, so I will definitely enjoy reading about that part of your trip!!! I'd really love to book a cruise in the next year or 2.

Wow on your summer trip.. sounds like you have a lot planned! I think you might be okay with 3 days.. that's the very minimum we do when we go.. figuring basically one day for each park, then one day to catch the stuff you didn't get to, or try to repeat the stuff you loved! Over the years, CA keeps getting better and better. We used to spend most of our time at DL, and not even a full day at CA, but now there is a lot to see & do at CA after the expansion/Carsland, etc we spend about equal time in both parks. Sounds like that is going to be a great trip for you guys!!!

I do have some more comparisons included on my next update, which I'll hopefully be posting sometime today or tomorrow for sure. Thanks so much for following along & commenting !!!
Yes the cruise was nice and I can't wait to get back to writing about it. I figure I'll finish up the most recent trip first since it's still fresh in my memory...and I took notes on my phone with that one. As for the cruise...well I will do my best to recall as much of it as possible.

Good to know we are okay with our four days. Our other plans include Six Flags, Knotts Berry Farm, Universal, and the San Diego Zoo. Looks like Universal is easily a day trip and for the most part my kids will be big enough to do most rides in the parks. We have a total of 10 days for this trip and plenty of time to plan but I'm already obsessing over where to stay!

Can't wait to hear your comparisons and more about your fabulous trip!

The past:*Jan'14: DCL MAGIC*Sep/Oct'13 DCL WONDER*Aug'13:DLR*Jan'13: POP/SSR*Nov'12:VWL/DCL DREAM/THV*Jun'12:SWAN * Mar '12:BDWLK * Jun'11:BLT * Dec'09:SSR * May'09:BC&AKV *Oct'08:BCVDINING REPORT*Jun'08:POP* Nov'07:OKW&SSR*Oct'06:AKL*Jan '06:CR*Feb'04:BDWLK *Oct'03:POLY*Sep'01:CR*Oct'99:POR*Feb'97:ASM
Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #221
luckylady
DIS Veteran

Oh the look on your son's face on EE was funny they boy behind him...priceless. I hope his parents bought that picture. Topping bar ot PB sooo good. Everything I want on my burger and cheese for the fries. Can't get any better then that.
Me Luckylady (53) DH (60) DS#1 (33)DD (25) and the "baby" DS#2 (23)
Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #222
TruLovesKiss
Mouseketeer

Oh I felt so bad that you forgot your photopass but then was glad to see some extra resort pics! Reading your TR is making me even more excited for our Poly stay in Sept! Thank you!

Rachel (32) ~ Joe (34) ~ Donovan (8) ~ Jorie (6) ~ Isla (4) ~ Bronwyn (2)

Old 02-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #223
lvjen777
disney ♥ addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruLovesKiss View Post
Oh I felt so bad that you forgot your photopass but then was glad to see some extra resort pics! Reading your TR is making me even more excited for our Poly stay in Sept! Thank you!

I know the feeling, I could not look at enough Poly photos when we were anticpating our trip too !! Luckily for you and any other Poly lovers out there, I took over 500 photos just of the resort.. so I probably will be posting even more photos!!

I hope you have a wonderful time on your stay. That place is just HEAVEN !

Thanks for following along with my TR
Old 02-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #224
lvjen777
disney ♥ addict

Day Five - Wednesday 1/23 (part two)

So, I last left off with us about halfway through our day at the Magic Kingdom.. we seemed to be getting a lot accomplished today.

We went over to Tomorrowland, and did a few things over there. We always love the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor! Oh, how we wish there was one in California. On our last trip (which was our first time seeing the show) I ended up as one of the targets, which was SO funny especially since we didn't know they did that to people in there. This time we got through the show without any of our mugs up on the bigscreen... I think DBF was relieved, however DS was WAY disappointed!

Another Tomorrowland attaction I wish California had - the Peoplemover!

My happy Disney face ↓

I'm pretty sure I get this look a lot ↓ (especially when we're at Disney)

On to Buzz Lightyear.. I love this ride, however I definitely prefer DL's version because the laser guns aren't attached and you can move around more easily. However either way, no matter what I do, I never manage to score that well on this ride!

EVEN after "cheating" and reading some tips on the internet , I'm STILL terrible!!!!!!

Star Cadet? HUMPH !!!

The line for Space was too long, so we decided to come back for it tomorrow, and we went back over to Adventureland for one of our absolute favorite parts of the Magic Kingdom.

Is it a ride? nope.

Is it a character? nope.

It's an ice cream!!!

WDW soo totally exceeds DL with the legendary Dole Whip.. At Disneyland there's no swirl options.. just pineapple pineapple pineapple!! (which is so disappointing to us.)

I know, I know.. I know exactly what you're thinking, this place is SUPPOSED to be all about pineapple, D.O.L.E... DOLE !! I know. We do love pineapple, but but our usual order is two (vanilla) Dole Whip Floats and either an orange/vanilla swirl for a pinapple/vanilla swirl for DS.

The DL float version DOES include a really cute little umbrella/cherry thingy, which always adds bonus points to ANYTHING served in a cup, however we really prefer the custom flavor options at WDW.. PLUS the WDW float cup itself is a waaay cuter shape as well. (Ok, now I'm just being picky )

All this controversy aside, I did something that my family thought was way radical .... I passed up my beloved WDW order-how-I-want-it-dole-whip-float for.......

the magical CITRUS SWIRL !!

When I read all the hype about its return on the internet , I knew I had to try it out. It was really yummy!

However, as good as it was, the best part of getting the Citrus Swirl, was definitely spotting this "bigger-Disney-fan-than-me" in line ahead of us there..

Yep, that's a MICKEY shaved into his hair. Not the best photo, because I was trying to be discreet, but it was hilarious!!!!

My boys clearly need to step up their game for me around here!!!

I always love photographing the castle, since it's so different than the one at DL. While this one is sure huge and regal, I might sort of prefer the quaintness of the smaller DL version...? I especially like how DL's is much more accessible. I always love walking over the drawbridge, around the wishing well area, and in the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough. I'm not a huge fan of the stage thingy here at WDW..

After a little while, we headed back to the Poly to rest a little bit before dinner.

Here's our VIDEO of the day. Click HERE

Back at the Poly, relaxing near our room...

"Next time" I definitely need to plan on having more time for more of this:

After our rest time, we took the monorail over to the Contemporary.

Here's our dining destination !! We had a 7:30 ADR.

Loved seeing the FAB FIVE:

It was a pretty good meal. Nothing spectacular or "life changing", but buffets are always good because you can get a little of everything , and usually lots of healthy stuff too. (Well, until you get to the massive dessert section, that is!)

It reminded us a lot of Goofy's Kitchen back at DL. The characters and atmosphere were a lot of fun, except for the one big kid, one table over from us, who stood up and started throwing up on the floor. I was treated to the whole scene, but luckily it was to the boy's backs. I told them NOT to turn around, but you know what happens when you tell somebody NOT to do something... Poor Goofy was also about one table away, and ran to go get help. Poor kid. Luckily Goofy was just far enough out of the way when it happened, because THAT could've been REAL bad! The parents got the kid cleaned up, sat him down, and went back to eating! Ha Ha. I guess they weren't going to waste their $30/plate meal on a sick kid! The CM's got it covered up quickly, so I guess it wasn't too bad, but not exactly the most appetizing or magical thing for us to deal with during dinner!!

So aside from the incident, while it was a good meal, we're undecided if we'd return to Chef Mickey's "next time" when we would be paying out of pocket for all our meals... What I totally LOVED was being able to get great photos with the characters, which was much nicer than having to wait in lines for them in the parks. However, as far as the food goes, we thought there were other places we feel like the food quality is better at that cost (like Ohanas).. Also, perhaps our perception might be slightly skewed because we're from Vegas, and we can get twice the buffet (minus characters of course) for only $5.99 about ten-minutes from our house. So, who knows. LOL.

With our bellies full , we left the Contemporary and went back to the Poly on the monorail. We knew we had a full day ahead of us tomorrow, so we happily headed right to bed !!

Last edited by lvjen777; 02-15-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #225
gracer9977
Happiness is Disney

Great pictures!!! Especially love that first one of the 3 of you with Walt's statue and the Castle behind you.

How awful that you had to watch a kid get sick at Chef Mickey's, I think that might have put me off my whole meal. Maybe not though.

Love your TR and the videos you have thrown in. Looking forward to reading about your busy day at MK and Epcot!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: