Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #3151
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danex View Post
Hi everyone I'm new to the boards and totally loving it.

My family has been to WDW twice before in July 2009 and July 2012 and we are hoping to go back in July 2014 and stay at the Beach Club so thank you so much for all the wonderful information posted in this thread

My DS will be 18 next year and doesn't want to go on holiday with his parents anymore so it will be me, DH, DD16 and her BFF16. As we can't afford two rooms, I am toying with the idea of staying Club Level so that we could use the lounge as an extension of our room, so that my DH and myself have somewhere to go while the girls would be getting ready, to give them extra privacy.

We are coming from the UK so will be there for at least 14 nights, possibly 16 nights, so the cost of upgrading for those nights is substantial. What im wondering (yes im getting to it, sorry for the long story lol) is how busy the lounge gets in July, we would be arriving 1st July?

My DH doesnt want to spend all that money upgrading to Club Level if the lounge is going to be totally packed and we are not going to get any use out of it. Can anyone help? Thanks so much
July is busy season so it's best to have realistic expectations about how crowded Club Level is.... That being said most people dine and dash in an effort to get to the parks so you are just dealing with a continuous stream of people moving in and out primarily during the busy hours (8 am and then again at 5pm when appetizers are put out). I really think Club level will be worth it because it's like having your own gourmet kitchen complete with a top chef making delicious goodies available to you just when you really need them. Remember, if the lounge is too busy for you you can grab a tray and take your goodies to go.

Now here is the good news. There are some delicious hang out areas at the resort. The lobby can be noisy and busy so I'm not talking about that area unless it's early in the morning before Cape May opens for breakfast. What I'm talking about is the off the beaten path hideaway in the lobby of the Beach Club Villas! My husband discovered this area and he would grab a cup of something from the coffee machine in the lounge and then go hang out there on the comfy couches with a book.

To get to this area you just take the pathway that is right by the Beach Club Market Place, which is immediately off of the Beach Club lobby. It would take you less than 2 minutes to get there from the Club Level area.

There are two areas.

The first is the larger of the two areas and it serves as a low traffic pass through for the Villas. Here is a great photo:

[IMG] Beach Club Villas Library by Tim Mills2009, on Flickr[/IMG]

OK, so not too bad but not so relaxing huh.... WELL there is another room very near this and it is much more intimate and relaxing. It's right off of this room in the Villas lobby and it's got a couple of sofas and it's off set from the beaten path. I couldn't find any pictures of it so this one will have to do:

Remember, there isn't a check in desk or other busy area type office in the Beach Club Villas Lobby. It's just a quiet area with the occasional Villas guest (AKA "Villains") passing through. With 5 people in our room we liked to think of this as our living room and Club Level as our kitchen. Tell your Hubby to think of the resort like this and then Club Level during the busy season is a relaxing proposition.

Right across from the Beach Club Marketplace there is also the Beach Club resort Solarium, which is literally right across the outdoor path from the Beach Club Villas lobby. (Think 100 meters away) This area can get busy with people eating at the small tables from the Marketplace. There is also an outdoor area with larger tables that can be nice to relax at. But for my money I like that (not so) secret Beach Club Villas lobby area to relax at.

I'm not too familiar with the Yacht Club but I'm sure there are areas over there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Just an FYI- I will be away for a few days next week.

Oh, and Mike, if you get a chance, could you fix the space in the IPO email address while I am gone?? Muchas Gracias!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logpey View Post
Leaving this Sunday, possibly Saturday evening, for my happy place! Can't wait to try out "The Beach Club Resort for FIRST time!" I will definitely be checking on the DIS, if anyone has any question or pics they want taken! Woot... But nervous about my Princess half, scary but fun.....:0
I can't wait for your trip to get here! Good luck with the marathon and be sure to let us know how you made out.

~NM
Old 02-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #3152
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamkat1820 View Post
Question to the CL experts:

How many TS did you schedule when u stay CL. We are only planning 4 this time around. We do not have the dinning plan this time around. Cape may clam bake (must!!!) cape may breakfast with characters, T. rex and whispering canyon cafe only because we like to check out a new resort every trip.

With the selections in the lounge do u think we planned enough

We r planning HS the day we arrive -QS I don't like their TS choices

MK- we want to try BOG for QS I heard the dinner isn't all that great

Epcot we want to snack our way around but def stop at the bakery in France yum!

AKL QS for lunch again not overly excited about their TS either. We are planning Cape may for dinner this night

Hanging out at the pool one day that would be our breakfast @cape may

Day DTD =late lunch at T. rex

Last day= WL whispering canyon then the boat to MK for fireworks

Any thoughts? Good plan? Need to make changes?
How many days are you staying? I would plan on one table service a day or possibly 2 counter services depending upon how you eat.

BTW: Another great tip I read is to purchase a lunch and or dessert at Starring Rolls at the Hollywood Studios and take it over to the ABC Commissary which has cool, quiet and spacious INDOOR seating as opposed to the 5 or 6 small outdoor tables that are always taken at Starring Rolls. Remember also that Starring Rolls only has hours from 9:00am- 4:00pm so no dinner for you!
The Menu for Starring rolls is located here: http://allears.net/menu/menu_srb.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1fan View Post
We are having a 2 night stay in June. Our kids like the zero entry pools and we are going just 1 day to MK. Poly only has high end rooms so that is out. What do you think about a 2 night stay here but only going to MK. On that day we will go back to resort after lunch and swim and go back to the park in the evening. How are the busses?
Day 1 we will swim and eat at resort.
I thought the buses were fine, especially in the morning for rope drop. Disney is really kicking butt trying to get rope drop people to the parks quickly and efficiently. It's apparent that Disney transportation is implementing a more hands on approach to get resort guests to the parks on time with better monitoring. I've noticed this even during the "off hours". That being said there will always be the problem areas like the buses to/from Downtown Disney from the resorts. The buses to or from the parks were never a problem in our experience. Your mileage may vary depending upon the time of day, season and crowd levels. I wouldn't worry about it though.

~NM
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #3153
sjlupin
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to drop in and say hi!

We are leaving for WDW in TWO DAYS!!!

We're staying BC CL. Our kids know we're staying at the Beach Club (we have stayed there 3 times and LOVE it), but they don't know about the Club Leve upgrade. Can't wait to surprise them!!

They also don't know we booked an Illuminations Cruise on 2/20 - DSs 18th birthday! Never done that before - should be great.

I enjoyed reading some opinions about the Dining Plan. I always feel like odd man out, but it really doesn't work well for my family - most people I tell that seem to think we're nuts. Lol. We've done it twice. I love having things paid up front and it is fun to sort of pick what you want and sample desserts, but for us being 'tied' to a TS most every day isn't great. We're much happier being a little more flexible and not eating that many TSs. And no matter how we try not to, we always feel like we over eat and feel gross. It's like 'I HAVE to have dessert'.

Sandy
Old 02-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #3154
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlupin View Post
Just wanted to drop in and say hi!

We are leaving for WDW in TWO DAYS!!!

We're staying BC CL. Our kids know we're staying at the Beach Club (we have stayed there 3 times and LOVE it), but they don't know about the Club Leve upgrade. Can't wait to surprise them!!

They also don't know we booked an Illuminations Cruise on 2/20 - DSs 18th birthday! Never done that before - should be great.

I enjoyed reading some opinions about the Dining Plan. I always feel like odd man out, but it really doesn't work well for my family - most people I tell that seem to think we're nuts. Lol. We've done it twice. I love having things paid up front and it is fun to sort of pick what you want and sample desserts, but for us being 'tied' to a TS most every day isn't great. We're much happier being a little more flexible and not eating that many TSs. And no matter how we try not to, we always feel like we over eat and feel gross. It's like 'I HAVE to have dessert'.

Sandy
I know what ya mean. Most people have no idea of how the numbers work for this and they actually think they are getting the dining plan for free!

~NM
Old 02-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #3155
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

We are staying 7 days @ the YC CL. We have done the dinning plan 2xs b4. We are thinking if we didn't do it this time. it would free up our days more. To be more relaxed. A friend told me she called the day of, around the time they wanted to eat, to see what was available were they were at the time. It worked out for them prefect she said.

I'm afraid to do that what if nothing available.

Me, DH, DD8, DS4

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013, August 2015???
Old 02-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #3156
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!

Quote:
We are staying 7 days @ the YC CL. We have done the dinning plan 2xs b4. We are thinking if we didn't do it this time. it would free up our days more. To be more relaxed. A friend told me she called the day of, around the time they wanted to eat, to see what was available were they were at the time. It worked out for them prefect she said.

Well, in reality there is ALWAYS something available. There's always something to get at a counter service place or kiosk.

We only plan a few TS meals (I'm trying to figure that out now). For our 8 nights, I'm planning 4 TS's for which I'll need ADR's (Ohana, Kouzzina, Fantasmic package, and WCC). Everything else we'll be winging it!

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #3157
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We are staying YC CL for 10 nights in April. We are going w/out DDP for the first time. We have made 5 reservations, of places we know we want to go, then we will just wing it or do QS for the rest of our meals... You could do something like that, and then know that you will have at least a few sit down meals.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 02-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #3158
mommakacie
Mouseketeer

It's such a relief to come back to this board and feel the happiness.

On our upcoming trip, we're doing a split stay so I've been following the board for the other resort, too. And man, those people are grumpy!! It's DisneyWorld, people!! Sheesh.

10/04 - All Star Music, 04/06 - Pop Century
06/08 - All Star Movies, 12/10 - POFQ
02/12 - POR, 04/13 - BC
Old 02-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #3159
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

We have done the DP every time we have gone before, but we have children under 10 and we do lots of character meals. However, each year, the plan gets more expansive and I feel you have to really analyze how to "save" with the dining plan. Each increase makes it more difficult to do that. I will give people one more thing to consider - something not many people think about. What happens if one member or more becomes ill? You do not get reimbursed for missed meals and missing just one meal seriously IMO jeopardizes the value of the dining plan. In December, we had 4 members of our family ill throughout the week. We often just brought food back to the room for the healthy ones or sent only part of our crew to our ADRs. The last night, we had to order room service just to use up TS credits and we had CS credits left over. Had we not been on the meal plan, that would have been one less thing to worry about. I believe we are done with the dining plan, but each person has to do the research for their group as to whether it works for them.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #3160
Danex
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
We posted at the same time! I had to edit in your welcome, and I answered your exact question! See above.
Thanks for that, i must have just missed your reply earlier before I signed off. Looks like CL might work out well.

On the UK WDW site they have finished the free dining for 2013 offer and are now offering 35% discount for the Beach Club for this July 2013, so hopefully this will be offered this time next year for 2014 and it seems thats too good to pass up

I think for my family for next year having CL and not using the DP would be the way to go.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #3161
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I agree that there is always something available!! We just returned from an 8-night trip earlier this month. I made ADRs 180 +10 days in advance - two per day.

We were originally scheduled to transfer to AKL for the last two nights of our trip and had all our AK area ADRs lined up. Well, we just couldn't leave the Epcot resort area - love it too much. So we stayed at BWI and had to change three days of ADRs at the last minute. Granted, this was during value season, but there were tons of ADRs still out there with a little flexibility. We usually stay away from CS entirely, but with these last minute changes, we did Les Halles (new bakery in France) not because we couldn't get an ADR anywhere, just because we wanted to try it. We were able to get ADRs at Kouzzina and Tokyo Dining, and then we had lunch at Big River Brewing (TS that doesn't take ADRs.) We had a ton of choices, even at the last minute!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR
Old 02-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #3162
Danex
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
July is busy season so it's best to have realistic expectations about how crowded Club Level is.... That being said most people dine and dash in an effort to get to the parks so you are just dealing with a continuous stream of people moving in and out primarily during the busy hours (8 am and then again at 5pm when appetizers are put out). I really think Club level will be worth it because it's like having your own gourmet kitchen complete with a top chef making delicious goodies available to you just when you really need them. Remember, if the lounge is too busy for you you can grab a tray and take your goodies to go.

Now here is the good news. There are some delicious hang out areas at the resort. The lobby can be noisy and busy so I'm not talking about that area unless it's early in the morning before Cape May opens for breakfast. What I'm talking about is the off the beaten path hideaway in the lobby of the Beach Club Villas! My husband discovered this area and he would grab a cup of something from the coffee machine in the lounge and then go hang out there on the comfy couches with a book.

To get to this area you just take the pathway that is right by the Beach Club Market Place, which is immediately off of the Beach Club lobby. It would take you less than 2 minutes to get there from the Club Level area.

~NM
Thanks Ninjamom

That first photo is so lovely i can just see myself curling up on that sofa with a cup of tea or a grey goose slushie !

The second photo is lovely too but for totally different reasons

Comparing prices on the UK WDW site I could either book a GV standard room with free DP or GV CL room without the DP for almost the same cost (this is with different offers, i have been checking prices all year). I have over a year to work on DH, but i really want to try CL and feel pampered on holiday, with as little stress as possible and i feel that CL would give me that.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #3163
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Purely anecdotal story follows:

I had DVC points that would expire & booked 5 nights on points for my brother & his GF at SSR. They paid cash for 2 additional nights. The points booked nights had DxDP, so a lot of meals planned. They both fell ill with the GI bug that was running rampant through WDW this past fall. On the day they had to check out & check in (going from points stay to cash stay) they still had 7-8 dining credits each. My brother mentioned how sick they had been, mostly stuck in the room for at least a day & without asking, the front desk CM credited him one night of DxDP.

So, I am definitely NOT saying that would happen to everyone, BUT should you have the misfortune to fall ill at Disney, and be left with DDP credits that you will be unable to use, it does not hurt to check in with the front desk.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
Old 02-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #3164
DisneyLifeMel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaygal View Post
In my experience, the club level hours do not vary and are not at all related to EMH.
Thanks, still deciding if CL will be worth it for us. It sounds fabulous, but I am not completely sure it will fit our needs for this trip!
Old 02-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #3165
medicgirl177
Mouseketeer

Happy Valentines Day everyone!!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: