DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #31
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 17,766

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
Your point about Use Year echoes what my husband was saying last night. We plan our trips well in advance anyway so I think the cancellation issue is a remote one and not an active worry.
IMO it's not a worry, just smart planning. It doesn't cost anything extra to buy the best UY for your Disney vacations.

We have had 2 unexpected events that caused us to cancel and bank our points, our UY saved us both times. We had a death in the family and a forced job relocation.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #32
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran
 
DrMomof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3chantal

Completely agree and understand your concerns. We currently have 280 points at AKL that we bought direct with cash (we are a family of five). But we waited to purchase these points until we were sure that it did not compromise our financial situation.

Because you are careful, what ever you decide will be the right choice. Picking up smaller contracts and adding to it is a perfectly valid way to go. Just be aware, you probably will want to buy more points. We do!
I missed your post somehow.
Thank you!

Amanda
__________________
Proud mom to DS age 10 DD age 8 DS age 6
Ran the Disney Half-Marathon 2011; Full Marathon 2012; ToT 2012; GOOFY 2013; Princess 2013; 10k and full marathon 2014
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #33
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran
 
DrMomof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz

IMO it's not a worry, just smart planning. It doesn't cost anything extra to buy the best UY for your Disney vacations.

We have had 2 unexpected events that caused us to cancel and bank our points, our UY saved us both times. We had a death in the family and a forced job relocation.

Bill
Good point.
I know when we've been going but also realize our plans may change as the kids get older. Which makes it a little hard to predict. For now Sept would be a bad choice bc August is our annual trip but we may lose August when the kids are in high school... Hmmm.

Amanda
__________________
Proud mom to DS age 10 DD age 8 DS age 6
Ran the Disney Half-Marathon 2011; Full Marathon 2012; ToT 2012; GOOFY 2013; Princess 2013; 10k and full marathon 2014
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #34
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,555

You also need to remember that BWV has no dedicated two bedroom villas. They are all lockoffs. That means that the second bedroom is merely a studio - so one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa, plus the kitchenette and the door to the outside corridor. So if you need to worry about the kids trying to open that door at night, you might have a problem. BWV only has seven GVs, too.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #35
Discomom703
Earning My Ears
 
Discomom703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 70

DVC Premium Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Premium Membership

Hey doc.. what can i take for "addonitis"...?

Sorry... i had to go there.. Just want to send you lots of luck to your soon to be purchase..!!! We sure you'll make the right choice..! I"m a newbie and just recently bought SSR and not too long after that - bought a small BLT contract.. Just love it!
Discomom703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #36
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran
 
DrMomof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
You also need to remember that BWV has no dedicated two bedroom villas. They are all lockoffs. That means that the second bedroom is merely a studio - so one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa, plus the kitchenette and the door to the outside corridor. So if you need to worry about the kids trying to open that door at night, you might have a problem. BWV only has seven GVs, too.
I did not know that! Thank you!!!
So what you're saying is that I need a small-ish BCV contract and a small-ish BLT contract. Then I can stay BLT for Marathon Weekend for the monorail to the start and BCV in August with the kids. And if I want to spend Christmas with the extended family I can stay in a Grand Villa at BLT? I think I need to work more to afford that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discomom703 View Post
Hey doc.. what can i take for "addonitis"...?

Sorry... i had to go there.. Just want to send you lots of luck to your soon to be purchase..!!! We sure you'll make the right choice..! I"m a newbie and just recently bought SSR and not too long after that - bought a small BLT contract.. Just love it!
Obviously I'm no help. See above.
Thank you so much for your input!

Amanda
__________________
Proud mom to DS age 10 DD age 8 DS age 6
Ran the Disney Half-Marathon 2011; Full Marathon 2012; ToT 2012; GOOFY 2013; Princess 2013; 10k and full marathon 2014
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #37
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 1,828

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
I did not know that! Thank you!!!
So what you're saying is that I need a small-ish BCV contract and a small-ish BLT contract. Then I can stay BLT for Marathon Weekend for the monorail to the start and BCV in August with the kids.

Amanda
I have to add that the dedicated 2brs w/2 queen beds at BCV are a little hard to get. Before we bought at BCV I was on the waitlist for 7 solid months for one and it never came through. There aren't that many of them.

After we bought I thought I secured one at 11 months for this coming Sept but when I called to modify that reservation the other day I was told that it was a 2br w/1 queen bed and a sofa in the 2nd br. None available now.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #38
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 17,766

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
Good point.
I know when we've been going but also realize our plans may change as the kids get older. Which makes it a little hard to predict. For now Sept would be a bad choice bc August is our annual trip but we may lose August when the kids are in high school... Hmmm.

Amanda
We hate the warmer months at WDW so our Oct UY for our stays between Oct and May works great for us.

Have you considered VWL? We own at VWL and BLT and love the theming at VWL better. Seems more like a family resort and it's only a boat ride away from the MK.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #39
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,555

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
I have to add that the dedicated 2brs w/2 queen beds at BCV are a little hard to get. Before we bought at BCV I was on the waitlist for 7 solid months for one and it never came through. There aren't that many of them.

After we bought I thought I secured one at 11 months for this coming Sept but when I called to modify that reservation the other day I was told that it was a 2br w/1 queen bed and a sofa in the 2nd br. None available now.
There are only 25 dedicated two bedroom villas with two queen beds in the second bedroom. All the other dedicated two bedroom villas were a bit smaller, so they have one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #40
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran
 
DrMomof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
I have to add that the dedicated 2brs w/2 queen beds at BCV are a little hard to get. Before we bought at BCV I was on the waitlist for 7 solid months for one and it never came through. There aren't that many of them.

After we bought I thought I secured one at 11 months for this coming Sept but when I called to modify that reservation the other day I was told that it was a 2br w/1 queen bed and a sofa in the 2nd br. None available now.
I don't mind the sofa bed so much as long as there isn't an outside door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
We hate the warmer months at WDW so our Oct UY for our stays between Oct and May works great for us.

Have you considered VWL? We own at VWL and BLT and love the theming at VWL better. Seems more like a family resort and it's only a boat ride away from the MK.

Bill

We're eating at Artist's Point in one week so we can check out VWL. Thanks for the idea!!!
We seem to go to Disney at various times throughout the year so there isn't one obvious UY for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
There are only 25 dedicated two bedroom villas with two queen beds in the second bedroom. All the other dedicated two bedroom villas were a bit smaller, so they have one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa.
Good information! Thank you!

Amanda
__________________
Proud mom to DS age 10 DD age 8 DS age 6
Ran the Disney Half-Marathon 2011; Full Marathon 2012; ToT 2012; GOOFY 2013; Princess 2013; 10k and full marathon 2014
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #41
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 1,828

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
I don't mind the sofa bed so much as long as there isn't an outside door.

Amanda
No worries there as long as it's a dedicated 2br.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #42
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran
 
DrMomof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
No worries there as long as it's a dedicated 2br.
That's what I figured. I slept on the sofa bed in a BCV studio for the ToT 10 miler last year and thought it was perfectly comfortable. My children can certainly sleep on a sofa bed!

Amanda
__________________
Proud mom to DS age 10 DD age 8 DS age 6
Ran the Disney Half-Marathon 2011; Full Marathon 2012; ToT 2012; GOOFY 2013; Princess 2013; 10k and full marathon 2014
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #43
paults
HOME IS WHERE BWV IS
 
paults's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: delaware
Posts: 3,432

just for an example below on cost of 100pts at BLT vs 150 pts at BWV and BCV. these are what is there now and you need to watch what pts are available. Of course all contracts will be different these are just examples of cost.
Remember that to stay at BLT will cost more pts
I would go with a August UY .
If your going to Disney soon and visit BWV luna pool just know that it is having work done and is closed but you can still see it.

Fidelity

Disney's BoardWalk Villas

$9,150.00

150

$61.00

June 12-18, 13-300, 14-150

1354933

Fedelity
Disney's Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary

$10,000.00

100

$100.00

Jun. 13-131, 14-100

1354796

DVC resale
Beach Club Villas

150

$75

Apr

18 points for 2013 + 150 for 2014 + 150 for 2015.

$11,250
__________________
AAH HOME
paults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #44
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran
 
DrMomof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,694

Thank you for all the data!
In terms of BLT costing more - both per point and in points per stay - I think it's comparing apples to oranges. As a family of 5, we essentially are comparing a one bedroom at BLT to a two bedroom at BCV or BWV (yes, I know as DVC members we can put 5 in a one bedroom but with one bathroom and having to travel with an air mattress and towels, I'm not sure it's an equal comparison). Plus the contract lasts longer. But it's helpful to see the numbers side by side.
And since cash will determine the size of our initial purchase, it makes a difference - at least initially.

Amanda
__________________
Proud mom to DS age 10 DD age 8 DS age 6
Ran the Disney Half-Marathon 2011; Full Marathon 2012; ToT 2012; GOOFY 2013; Princess 2013; 10k and full marathon 2014
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #45
staceymay00
DIS Veteran
 
staceymay00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3
Thank you for all the data!
In terms of BLT costing more - both per point and in points per stay - I think it's comparing apples to oranges. As a family of 5, we essentially are comparing a one bedroom at BLT to a two bedroom at BCV or BWV (yes, I know as DVC members we can put 5 in a one bedroom but with one bathroom and having to travel with an air mattress and towels, I'm not sure it's an equal comparison). Plus the contract lasts longer. But it's helpful to see the numbers side by side.
And since cash will determine the size of our initial purchase, it makes a difference - at least initially.

Amanda
We are also a family of five, my kids were 5, 7 and 9 when we bought three years ago. We thought we would start out in 1BRs and eventually switch to booking 2BRs. Nope, stayed in a 2BR our first trip and it was the best. It is so nice to have bedrooms for everyone and a second bathroom. We are staying at AKV for only three nights in April and still booked a 2BR even though the 1BRs have two bathrooms. I'm with you on BWV and BCV - I would not buy those resorts as a family of five unless getting enough points for a 2BR. I think AKV and BLT are good resorts for a family of five planning to stay in 1BRs, although we actually bought at OKW (sleeps five in a 1BR, but only 1 bathroom). Ultimately OKW worked out great, though, because the 2BRs require fewer points than 2BRs at other resorts. Good luck with your decision. It took me a while to figure out what we wanted, but eventually I did and have been very happy with our purchase.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
staceymay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.