Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #16
ICan'tWait
Mouseketeer

We've flown with Delta the last couple years for at least one leg. They have changed our seat assignments for each flight, sometimes just a couple hours before. Something about if they change planes the seat assignments don't switch over is what I was told. Anyway, as an fyi, you have to be pretty diligent with them if you want to keep a particular type of seat or sit with others. It could be that way with all airlines now, just thought I'd share my specific experience with Delta and seat assignments.
ICan'tWait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #17
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
Is this new? We just flew US Airways in November and didn't pay a seat fee.
We did get drinks but not snacks.

On a Disney cruise, a comedian was joking that Delta stands for
Don't
Expect
Luggage
To
Arrive

Well, this is old, as Delta has become one of the best airlines for not loosing luggage.

There are several surveys, but here is an AP story about it from Aug 2012:

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/s...ine/57014594/1

ETA: A link to the 2012 Air Quality report is:

http://www.airlinequalityrating.com/reports/2012aqr.pdf

within the report for Delta, it says:

Quote:
Delta Air Lines (DL) Their rate of mishandled baggage (2.66 in 2011 improved from 3.49 in 2010) was below the industry average of 3.35 mishandled bags per 1,000 passengers.
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Last edited by Greysword; 02-12-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #18
zoo2tycoon
Mouseketeer

I just purchased my tickets this afternoon.

Did NOT have to pay for standard seats on US Airways---they were $60 less per person than Delta and much cheaper than everyone else so that is who we went with. Baggage fees on both airlines was the same and with no seat charge wasn't worth and extra $200+ to fly Delta.

Thanks for the info...wouldn't have known to do mock booking. That really helped!
zoo2tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #19
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

Hey Zoo, another point to consider may be airline status!

I'm not sure how often you fly or what your airline preference is (in total), but I wanted to throw out to you that you may be able to attain a bit of status with US Airways vs Delta (even though I'd prefer delta, myself).

First, US Airways is in the Star Alliance, which (for those who don't pay much attention), is a global consortium of airlines that share award booking, fare classes, interlined baggage, benefits, and other things. I mention this, since you can fly US Airways, but code the miles to other Star Alliance members (United airlines, for instance).

Within the Star Alliance is the Greek airline, Aegean Airlines, which has a fairly easy qualification standard for attaining elite status in the Star Alliance. If you acquire 4,000 Miles & Bonus points (their frequent flyer program) within 12 months, you will be awarded "Blue" status, which also confers Silver status on all Star Alliance airlines (US Airways and United, currently in the US). Aegean also provides a 1,000 bonus for just signing up for the free program, so only 3,000 miles required for Blue status.

http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...rd-privileges/

The benefits of *A Silver in general isn't much, as it allows Priority Wait Listing and Standby across the board; however, airlines can add benefits as they want.

Quote:
US Airways:
1st checked bag fees waived
Silver Preferred members
Star Alliance Silver members

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...epolicies.html

United:
Premier AccessSM check-in: designated airport check-in lines
Premier Access security lane: exclusive security lanes
Premier Access priority boarding: among the first customers to board
Premier Access priority baggage handling: among the first bags to be delivered

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...virtual_expert

Premier Access is available to the following customers:
MileagePlus Premier® members
United First®, United Global FirstSM, United Business® and United BusinessFirst®
Copa Airlines Clase Ejecutiva customers
Star AllianceTM Gold and Silver members
MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus credit cardmembers

Check one bag at no charge:
Star AllianceTM Silver membership must be valid at time of check-in to qualify for waiver of the first standard checked bag service charge within specified size and weight limits.

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...edBaggage.aspx
It is also easy to keep with Aegean, as you only need to credit one air travel to Aegean within a 36 month period to keep the status current (once every three years).

In the end, flying US Airways and crediting to a Miles & Bonus account (while US Airways is still in the Star Alliance) may net Silver status within the alliance, granting free baggage on United and US, and even more on United! Benefits that can continue to help reduce flight costs every year and make you feel like an elite flyer.

Just wanted to add another variable into the mix
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #20
pr surfer
Beaches and Beers.

Choosing between Delta and US Airways is like choosing between Coke and Pepsi. Neither one is good for you, and you know that deep down you really want a Cream Soda (Jetblue) or a Rootbeer (Southwest), but you have to pick the lesser evil at the moment.

Basic strictly on the higher chance of receiving a newer in-flight product (IME), I'd go on Delta.
"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum."
pr surfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: