Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #31
Chereya
DIS Veteran
 
Chereya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband View Post
That's not the issue
The issue is when you are there early or after the convention
For example next week is dapper days
The discounted tix are only good for certain days
Ca you get away with using them a day or so early/late? Prob yes but if you get caught and they take your tickets then the saving isn't worth it
So it is pretty easy to enforce - they have a print out saying the convention tix are good from ___ to ___
The convention tickets are not just meant for the actual people who attend conventions... they are meant for the family members as well. You are allowed to purchase up to 8 tickets per single convention attendee. They DO expect people to take advantage of a business trip to attend a convention and combine it with a pleasure trip to visit Disneyland. They DO expect people to physically be in Disneyland in days both Before and After the actual convention dates. There is a specific time frame, I believe 3 days after the end date of the convention, that the DL convention tickets use as an expiration date but I have no idea if they check or enforce that.

I highly doubt that Disney corporate finds broadly defined use of convention tickets a problem on the same level of a problem as ticket brokers. Ticket brokers are taking money directly out of Disney's pockets by taking business of people who would otherwise be buying tickets directly from Disney. Convention tickets are still official channels of purchasing tickets - Disney is still pocketing the full amount of money that they wish to make from convention ticket sales even if it is less than a full price ticket. It is all about their different channels of marketing. They are trying to bring in business of people who are already coming into the area who might not care about going to DL but enticing them to visit the parks and hey, bring your family, too! with an incentive of a slightly cheaper ticket price than they can get through traditional channels like AAA or Costco tickets.

Here's the official info site for Disneyland Convention Tickets but they have not updated the info for 2013 and the info listed is for tickets that expire in 2012. I presume that the ticket prices have increased but the general fine print info is the same.

http://www.disneyconventiontickets.c...parks/tickets/
__________________
Chereya - Mama of two boys and a little princess
Chereya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #32
dmband
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chereya View Post
The convention tickets are not just meant for the actual people who attend conventions... they are meant for the family members as well. You are allowed to purchase up to 8 tickets per single convention attendee. They DO expect people to take advantage of a business trip to attend a convention and combine it with a pleasure trip to visit Disneyland. They DO expect people to physically be in Disneyland in days both Before and After the actual convention dates. There is a specific time frame, I believe 3 days after the end date of the convention, that the DL convention tickets use as an expiration date but I have no idea if they check or enforce that.

I highly doubt that Disney corporate finds broadly defined use of convention tickets a problem on the same level of a problem as ticket brokers. Ticket brokers are taking money directly out of Disney's pockets by taking business of people who would otherwise be buying tickets directly from Disney. Convention tickets are still official channels of purchasing tickets - Disney is still pocketing the full amount of money that they wish to make from convention ticket sales even if it is less than a full price ticket. It is all about their different channels of marketing. They are trying to bring in business of people who are already coming into the area who might not care about going to DL but enticing them to visit the parks and hey, bring your family, too! with an incentive of a slightly cheaper ticket price than they can get through traditional channels like AAA or Costco tickets.

Here's the official info site for Disneyland Convention Tickets but they have not updated the info for 2013 and the info listed is for tickets that expire in 2012. I presume that the ticket prices have increased but the general fine print info is the same.

http://www.disneyconventiontickets.c...parks/tickets/

So you just said what I did, the tix have days they are valid
Is it worth the risk of buying them when the days you are going to use them are not within the days stated, not in my opinion
As stated, Disney knows what conventions are taking place at the time and if you get caught using the tic outside the the days allowed or are not a part of the convention you can lose everything you paid - it's clearly stated in the rules on their site
Worth the risk? No
Example - dapper days convention (special event) tic are valid from 2/22 to 3/7

And here is the real disneyland convention tic page http://tickets.disney.go.com/buy/Tic...D&drnid=647973
__________________

Last edited by dmband; 02-12-2013 at 10:36 PM.
dmband is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #33
Chereya
DIS Veteran
 
Chereya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband View Post

So you just said what I did, the tix have days they are valid
Is it worth the risk of buying them when the days you are going to use them are not within the days stated, not in my opinion
As stated, Disney knows what conventions are taking place at the time and if you get caught using the tic outside the the days allowed or are not a part of the convention you can lose everything you paid - it's clearly stated in the rules on their site
Worth the risk? No
Example - dapper days convention (special event) tic are valid from 2/22 to 3/7

And here is the real disneyland convention tic page http://tickets.disney.go.com/buy/Tic...D&drnid=647973
Who said anything about using them any old time they feel like it? Your previous post infers that you can only enter DL on a convention ticket on the specific days that the convention is going on. A person can use them a range of dates both before and after the actual convention dates. There are many conventions that happen during the course of the year. If a person happens to find an open to the public convention that happens to match up with their planned trip dates, that would be serendipity. If not, then not. Nobody is saying that everybody should ditch buying regular tickets in favor of convention tickets only. Good gravy, relax.
__________________
Chereya - Mama of two boys and a little princess
Chereya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #34
dmband
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chereya View Post
Who said anything about using them any old time they feel like it? Your previous post infers that you can only enter DL on a convention ticket on the specific days that the convention is going on. A person can use them a range of dates both before and after the actual convention dates. There are many conventions that happen during the course of the year. If a person happens to find an open to the public convention that happens to match up with their planned trip dates, that would be serendipity. If not, then not. Nobody is saying that everybody should ditch buying regular tickets in favor of convention tickets only. Good gravy, relax.
Lol I am very relaxed
Go back and read what I posted. I never said you can only enter during a convention. What I said was the risk of getting caught using tix outside of a convention date range and/or caught using tix for a convention you are not reg for isn't worth the savings.
Since there is no public convention for the op dates and Disney knows this it's a huge risk of losing all your money.
__________________
dmband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #35
bcla
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 3,592

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband View Post
Lol I am very relaxed
Go back and read what I posted. I never said you can only enter during a convention. What I said was the risk of getting caught using tix outside of a convention date range and/or caught using tix for a convention you are not reg for isn't worth the savings.
Since there is no public convention for the op dates and Disney knows this it's a huge risk of losing all your money.
You seem to think there's some sort of risk in using these tickets. That's just crazy. They'll clearly state the days and times that they're valid. It would take someone really dense to mess that up by going before or after those dates. And worst case would be a CM telling someone to come back when the ticket is valid. If they've expired then its been wasted, but that would be the fault of the purchaser for not reading what's clearly stated eon the ticket.

And the rules clearly state that they can be given to "friends and family". I mean, if a parent is attending a convention and brings along a couple of teenagers, you think a CM is going to grill them on what convention mom or dad is attending? I'm pretty sure a lot of kids wouldn't even know. it wouldn't be unusual for a parent to tell the kids to enjoy themselves and meet up later.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #36
dmband
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
You seem to think there's some sort of risk in using these tickets. That's just crazy. They'll clearly state the days and times that they're valid. It would take someone really dense to mess that up by going before or after those dates. And worst case would be a CM telling someone to come back when the ticket is valid. If they've expired then its been wasted, but that would be the fault of the purchaser for not reading what's clearly stated eon the ticket.

And the rules clearly state that they can be given to "friends and family". I mean, if a parent is attending a convention and brings along a couple of teenagers, you think a CM is going to grill them on what convention mom or dad is attending? I'm pretty sure a lot of kids wouldn't even know. it wouldn't be unusual for a parent to tell the kids to enjoy themselves and meet up later.
thats exactly the point,there is a risk and the op seems to understand that too
Hence why they said after reading the fine print it's of worth the risk.
We a not talking about using convention tix during a convention
We are talking about using tix outside of a convention and/or when you are to a part of the convention.
The op travel dates are this weekend when there is no convention or overlapping dates that would allow one to use convention tix "legally"
If the op uses convention tax this weekend and gets caught they risk losing everything paid, plain and simple and not worth the risk IMO
__________________
dmband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #37
Chereya
DIS Veteran
 
Chereya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband View Post
thats exactly the point,there is a risk and the op seems to understand that too
Hence why they said after reading the fine print it's of worth the risk.
We a not talking about using convention tix during a convention
We are talking about using tix outside of a convention and/or when you are to a part of the convention.
The op travel dates are this weekend when there is no convention or overlapping dates that would allow one to use convention tix "legally"
If the op uses convention tax this weekend and gets caught they risk losing everything paid, plain and simple and not worth the risk IMO
It's a discussion board... often the discussion goes away from the original specifics of the OP and delves into general info for the benefit of other people's knowledge. The OP happened to ask their question 10 days prior to their trip which is not a lot of time to get tickets, especially ones that needed to be planned ahead of time. Those of us that know that convention tickets exist, are sharing our information and putting it out there for discussion. A discussion you seem to have a problem with.
__________________
Chereya - Mama of two boys and a little princess
Chereya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #38
bcla
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 3,592

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband View Post
thats exactly the point,there is a risk and the op seems to understand that too
Hence why they said after reading the fine print it's of worth the risk.
We a not talking about using convention tix during a convention
We are talking about using tix outside of a convention and/or when you are to a part of the convention.
The op travel dates are this weekend when there is no convention or overlapping dates that would allow one to use convention tix "legally"
If the op uses convention tax this weekend and gets caught they risk losing everything paid, plain and simple and not worth the risk IMO
Again, you seem to be implying that tickets might be confiscated even though nobody has ever documented it happening. We all know that rented or shared tickets have been confiscated, but that's a real problem that Disney is trying to address. Convention tickets are not in the same category. They want people to use them and have very liberal policies on who can use them. Heck - I could probably just give away an extra unused one on the street to my new "friend" and I don't even think I've violated the conditions for which they were sold.

They're not going to say "Aren't you supposed to be at the convention?", then have their supervisor come in to grab the tickets. I mean - they specifically note that they can be used by "friends and family" in addition to convention or meeting attendees.

What one does is find out exactly what are the valid dates and determine if it works out for them. It's easy enough to do the research and figure out if it works. If it doesn't, then it's easy enough to go to the ticket window and just buy regular tickets. Most people can figure this out. Who is going to be crazy enough to buy tickets that will expire before they use them or aren't valid until after their planned visit?

There have also been a lot of public events where they have sold convention tickets for DL. I found out that WonderCon (this March) at the Convention Center is $10 adult admission for the last Sunday, and they have sold discounted DL tickets in the past. Someone walking in with a badge/buying the DL tickets/going to DL has fulfilled all the terms.

In addition to that, Disney has a broad terms. It doesn't even need to be a convention at the Anaheim Convention Center per se. They say it can be any meeting or convention in Orange County, CA. If my company decided to have an offsite meeting (I've been to a few of those) at a hotel meeting room in Dana Point, I'm pretty sure they could call up DL and have them hook them up for "convention tickets" that could be distributed before the actual meeting. I'm pretty sure they could be given away as gifts to customers as long as they're not sold. There are some extremely liberal policies on who can use them as long as they're given by a convention or meeting attendee who is eligible to buy them.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #39
dmband
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chereya View Post
It's a discussion board... often the discussion goes away from the original specifics of the OP and delves into general info for the benefit of other people's knowledge. The OP happened to ask their question 10 days prior to their trip which is not a lot of time to get tickets, especially ones that needed to be planned ahead of time. Those of us that know that convention tickets exist, are sharing our information and putting it out there for discussion. A discussion you seem to have a problem with.
I 100% agree with this post, except I don't have a problem with it
And that's all I was trying to do too - Share info, from a cm, about the specifics of the convention tix for other people's knowledge.
That knowledge is...
Disney has a list of conventions which qualify for discounted tix
The tix have specific use dates
If you use the tix outside of the use dates and/or are not attending the convention then they can cancel the tix and you lose the money paid
__________________
dmband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #40
bcla
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 3,592

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband View Post
I 100% agree with this post, except I don't have a problem with it
And that's all I was trying to do too - Share info, from a cm, about the specifics of the convention tix for other people's knowledge.
That knowledge is...
Disney has a list of conventions which qualify for discounted tix
The tix have specific use dates
If you use the tix outside of the use dates and/or are not attending the convention then they can cancel the tix and you lose the money paid
How the heck will they know whether or who "friends and family" are? You see, the rules clearly state that the "family and friends" of convention attendees aren't required to be part of the convention. I have a relative who is a doctor. He recently attended a medical conference at one of the hotels in Anaheim; I think it's the Hilton. He could probably score tickets there and give them to me, and nobody is breaking any rules. Of course he already has an annual passport, but that's another story.


Hey kids. Dad is going to a meeting in Orange County but we were able to score some cheap Disneyland tickets.

OK, but do we need to prove we're with you?

Don't worry about it. You'll be fine. I'll see you there after the meeting is over.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #41
dmband
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
Again, you seem to be implying that tickets might be confiscated
im not implying it
I am flat out saying it based on a cm remarks and reading the term on the convention tix page
Quote:
even though nobody has ever documented it happening. We all know that rented or shared tickets have been confiscated, but that's a real problem that Disney is trying to address.
just because you don't know about it happening doesn't mean it can't or doesn't
Quote:
Convention tickets are not in the same category. They want people to use them and have very liberal policies on who can use them. Heck - I could probably just give away an extra unused one on the street to my new "friend" and I don't even think I've violated the conditions for which they were sold.
true
Quote:
They're not going to say "Aren't you supposed to be at the convention?", then have their supervisor come in to grab the tickets. I mean - they specifically note that they can be used by "friends and family" in addition to convention or meeting attendees.
If you are using them outside of any know convention dates they might
That's is part of my original post and the op point after researching convention tix more.
Quote:
What one does is find out exactly what are the valid dates and determine if it works out for them. It's easy enough to do the research and figure out if it works. If it doesn't, then it's easy enough to go to the ticket window and just buy regular tickets. Most people can figure this out. Who is going to be crazy enough to buy tickets that will expire before they use them or aren't valid until after their planned visit?
how do you think we got on this topic?
Many people use convention tix outside of what's "allowed"
With some research you can find a decent number of people using dapper day tix next week when they tech are not suppose to
Quote:
There have also been a lot of public events where they have sold convention tickets for DL. I found out that WonderCon (this March) at the Convention Center is $10 adult admission for the last Sunday, and they have sold discounted DL tickets in the past. Someone walking in with a badge/buying the DL tickets/going to DL has fulfilled all the terms.

In addition to that, Disney has a broad terms. It doesn't even need to be a convention at the Anaheim Convention Center per se. They say it can be any meeting or convention in Orange County, CA. If my company decided to have an offsite meeting (I've been to a few of those) at a hotel meeting room in Dana Point, I'm pretty sure they could call up DL and have them hook them up for "convention tickets" that could be distributed before the actual meeting. I'm pretty sure they could be given away as gifts to customers as long as they're not sold. There are some extremely liberal policies on who can use them as long as they're given by a convention or meeting attendee who is eligible to buy them.
none of that has anything to do with the fact that if you use convention tix before or after the spefic dates that you are in fact risking having the tix cancelled and the money paid lost

At any rate if someone wants to risk losing all the money paid over a convention tic go for it. To me and the op it's turned out not worth the risk.
__________________

Last edited by dmband; 02-13-2013 at 10:39 PM.
dmband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #42
profa
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 382

When you click on that site it seems like anyone can purchase the tickets. It doesn't even have you pick the convention you are part of or maybe I am missing something. I am looking to purchase one more child ticket for a 1 day hopper and dapper days takes place during our visit...
profa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #43
dmband
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by profa View Post
When you click on that site it seems like anyone can purchase the tickets. It doesn't even have you pick the convention you are part of or maybe I am missing something. I am looking to purchase one more child ticket for a 1 day hopper and dapper days takes place during our visit...
Buy it
Dapper day tix are a valid convention discount and if your visit is during the days specified you are good
__________________
dmband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #44
dmband
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
How the heck will they know whether or who "friends and family" are? You see, the rules clearly state that the "family and friends" of convention attendees aren't required to be part of the convention. I have a relative who is a doctor. He recently attended a medical conference at one of the hotels in Anaheim; I think it's the Hilton. He could probably score tickets there and give them to me, and nobody is breaking any rules. Of course he already has an annual passport, but that's another story.


Hey kids. Dad is going to a meeting in Orange County but we were able to score some cheap Disneyland tickets.

OK, but do we need to prove we're with you?

Don't worry about it. You'll be fine. I'll see you there after the meeting is over.
no offense but you must be a knuckle head
No one ever said anything about friends and family using the tix "legally"
The discussion and rules posted by me are about using tix "illegally"
Ie outside of a convention date frame and/or not being a convention attendee
If you where to show up at the park during a convention or during the conventions dates specified as "legal" they are most likely not going to say a thing. If they do ask you simply tell the the convention you/your friend/family is a part of
If you showed up with convention tix on days before or after and/or where asked about the convention and had no answer you could lose the tix and money paid for them.
It's really easy to understand
__________________
dmband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #45
bcla
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 3,592

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband View Post
none of that has anything to do with the fact that if you use convention tix before or after the spefic dates that you are in fact risking having the tix cancelled and the money paid lost
The valid dates would be right on the ticket, and as far as I've researched it, there is nothing that indicates that they can't be used before the convention/meeting starts as long as that's clearly stated on the ticket. Exactly who is going to be stupid enough to not see that on the ticket and try to enter? If a ticket says "VALID 03/23/13 to 03/30/13", is there any adult here who would actually try using it on March 20? I mean - it seems pretty simple to actually look at a ticket before attempting to use it.

In addition, you really think they're going to confiscate a ticket because someone mistakenly tries to use it a few days before a conference? Everything I've heard about why Disney confiscates or invalidates tickets has to do with fraudulent use and clear violations of policy. It would be due to rented/shared tickets or some CM selling a ticket in violation of the terms which they obtained it. Arriving early and maybe asking if it might be used a day early is hardly what I'd consider fraudulent. Maybe they'll say no, but confiscation would seem to go way beyond any reasonable action.

There were the promotional offer discounted tickets, which were sold starting Nov 20, but weren't valid for first use until Jan 7. You suppose someone makes a mistake and tries using such a ticket on Jan 3, they'll confiscate and invalidate it? That would make no sense from an enforcement standpoint to punish an honest mistake with an action so drastic. They'll just say it's invalid, and to come back on Jan 7 or later.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.