Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #31
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

I just do card and candy for DH and the kids. I'll make a nice dinner and maybe we'll see a movie. Very low key around here

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #32
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcboys View Post
We don't do alot here. I don't give any kind of gifts or candy to my kids. They exchange valentines at school (at least the 2 younger ones do) and they will get candy from there. I got DH a card (hey I splurged and got a $3 card instead of a 99cent one!) and I may make him a pecan pie which is his favorite and only made for special occasions. I'll be happy if he at least picks me up a card or gets me something small.

I always have to warn my kids every year that there will be a lot of kids getting huge balloons/stuffed animals delivered to school and they won't be getting anything. Know that I still love them, but I refuse to spend money on that stuff for valentines day. I think they are used to it by now.
Our schools have rules against that thankfully.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #33
Neesy228
DIS Veteran

Not a big fan of the day here...

i usually do something to make my kids feel special. I typically spend under $20/each for a small stuffed animal/toy etc and some candy treats...This year DS is getting a minecraft t-shirt and some chocolates, other DS is getting a Skylander and some chocolates and DD is getting a small stuffed dog and some chocolates...

I'll also be volunteering in their classrooms for a few hours tomorrow for their parties. Making heart shaped pizzas and pink cupcakes.

In general, I'd rather show them I love them, than buy gifts because the jewelry/greeting card industry says I should....

Neesy228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #34
Sinderelly
Princess

I love all holidays. I made red velvet cupcakes yesterday from scratch. DH and I will go out to dinner and I am getting him some really yummy chocolates and a card. Estimate around $50-$75.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #35
Dancemomof3
Earning My Ears

I'm a big proponent of the mid/end of winter holidays (we may or may not have a leprechaun visit our house the week before St. Patrick's Day). Winter in WNY can be so dreary. That being said, I'm not a fan of spending lots of money on trinket crap and candy.

My kids this year are each getting a new Crest Spinbrush, they were on clearance at Wal Mart after Christmas for $1.50 each with toothpaste. One Direction for the girls and Transformers for my son. They are each also getting a card, .50 each at Dollar General and a king sized candy bar as they do not like the candy in those heart boxes , on sale with a coupon they were free. I think I spent about $10 on candy for their classes and also their dance classes. We made all of our school exchange valentines this year because my craft room is getting out of control and I wanted to pare down a little. I usually make them heart shaped pancakes and they drink their oj from champagne flutes for breakfast and I reuse decorations or make new ones so the table is festive.

My husband and I usually eat a nice dinner together after the kids go to bed. He is a Dairy farmer and doesn't get out of the barn until 7:30. With 3 kids running in all directions having a quiet meal just the 2 of us is luxury enough. So all in all we spent less than $20 this year, which is pretty typical.
Dancemomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #36
vegasnative
DIS Veteran

DH and I have never given anything expensive or extravagant for Valentines. Some years I will get flowers, other years we are just to dang busy and he didn't get around to flowers and it doesn't bother me.

I usually get the kids some chocolate from See's. I got them each a little bag of chocolate hearts this year, and a very small box for DH.

I'm taking rice krispies into DS class, and the twins are in 5th grade this year, last school party for them, so I'm taking a cooler full of sodas for both 5th grade classes.

That's it for us. I will fix dinner, then we will watch Idol...that's my kind of valentines. Home with the fam.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #37
beansmom
Your dream eludes you? Don't you know that a dream is a wish your heart makes??

julie, be sure to let us know what happens!!

dh and i have been together 6 years and married for 2.5. this year we are slipping off to a lovely b&b in Newport RI ($199/nite) with a fireplace, jacuzzi, lovely room. Gas will be about $40 r/t. I am taking a picnic so we don't have to leave the room including a bottle of bubbly $50ish....that includes choc covered strawberries to leave on the pillows instead of their mints.

we will spend the rest of the weekend in newport, albeit at a cheaper motel $150 for 2 nites. I expect we'll spend somewhere between $500-600 for the weekend...but so worth it.

i also plan to bake him his favorite cookies and give him a gift card to his favorite restaurant. he sent me 2 dozen red roses. they are beautiful and so is he.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #38
mcuoghi
Mouseketeer

It's steak and lobster at home for us. We don't really celebrate. It was never important to us. The only reason we do special dinner is because the steak and lobster are on sale this week lol. I did buy each of our kids a small chocolate for the big day though.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #39
#1hoosierfan
DIS Veteran

Dh and I will exchange cards. I held over two movies and a few small toys.... Transformers and cars... From Christmas when I realized I had gone overboard on the gifts. The boys' teachers will get a gift card to a local ice cream store and a bouquet of flowers.
March 2012 - CBR
October 2011 (wine and dine half-marathon)
March 2011, June 2010
#1hoosierfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #40
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliegirl1 View Post
To me, Valentine's is about expressing your love, not necessarily gifts. I usually handmake a card and give a little gift of candy to my son.

However, this year is my first Valentine's with my sweetheart (we started dating last year right after Valentine's day). I have been leaving him little gifts of candy on his doorstep every morning since February 1 with silly sayings like 'I chews you' with gum, 'I'm nuts about you' with a bag of nuts. I haven't spent more than about $20 or so.

I told him not to spend a lot on me but I just received a dozen long stemmed red roses at work and I think he might be proposing tomorrow!! - He's been hinting quite heavily that he has a very important question for me (and we have discussed getting married lately) so this will be an expensive holiday for him. We are staying in with the kids for dinner and will be making heart shaped pizza.
report back tomorrow, what a cliffhanger!

i usually spend around $25 to pick my mother up a treat, as a kid i always got a card and candy, sometimes little gifts like a nice bathrobe.

this year i spent like $25 on my valentine and will make his card. i have never spent more than $50 or so on the day with one of my boyfriends. i wanted to stay home and cook but the boyfriend wants to go out, since its his treat i wont argue.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #41
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I bought the kids a few things (all chocolate and a card) and they each got a book they wanted. Dh and I decided to save our pennies for our trip next week.
I kind of find Valentines Day a little silly. We go bananas on Christmas and make a big deal out of birthdays. Any other holiday is just a little something.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #42
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

I am 27 and have been with my boyfriend for 10 years! We normally don't do anything besides dinner. Is that bad??? Two years ago I bought him a big present and he bought me one but we don't do anything anymore besides maye a card. We live together so we feel bad spending money for this silly holiday.

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #43
ilovejack02
what do you all think?

Year to year it changes for DH and i . Some years extravagant , this year we will not be doing much , but nice dinner for us and some chocolates. DS10 will get a card and $ tree balloons and a bag of MnMs. DH and I bought a large piece of art work a few weeks ago and have a Disney trip coming up in April, we agreed that is our Valentines lol. He will get me flowers though, he always does not matter what . Our local grocery is family owned and has a lovely floral department.
ilovejack02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #44
STLnative
Mouseketeer

Our tradition is to cook a nice steak dinner together at home and watch The Princess Bride. Also usually done on the weekend before or after, because weeknights are too hectic and not relaxing.

Going out for Valentine's day (even at the weekend) is overcrowded and noisy, and besides we usually go out for my birthday which is just a couple weeks later.
STLnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #45
disneydreamer82
DIS Veteran

We spend nothing! Seems like a silly holiday to us, sure it's tradition. But we aren't really a traditional couple

:
disneydreamer82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: