Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #31
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheddj
My faves were the ones explaining how to make grilled cheese sandwiches, quesadillas, etc., using the irons in hotel rooms! Gross.
Would you like extra starch on your grilled cheese?!?!? Ewwwww
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #32
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSam View Post
The knit scrubbers sounds great (I'm a knitter), I'll have to see if I can find a pattern. I also like the idea of making your own reusable grocery bags, as you said the ones you buy aren't very durable and usually not washable.
I'm not sure if my mom used a pattern for the scrubbers or if she did where it came from. It started out as a gag gift - DH doesn't want a dishwasher when we remodel the kitchen so she put a handmade scrubber in his Christmas stocking a couple years ago, and we ended up liking it so well that we ended up asking her to make more.

This is my favorite super-simple bag pattern: http://www.moredesignplease.com/more...-tote-bag.html Because it uses t-shirts I can hit Goodwill to find cool designs, Disney or otherwise, to turn into bags and they're tougher than the cheapie store-bought ones for about the same cost.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #33
dreamalittledream
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
I've been reading these boards for yrs and don't remember that! I must confess reading these threads have cost me $$$ buying all the great deals that I have to have and didn't know I needed!!!
My best ever deal was the Mickey TV from Sears that cost like $25, DD is still using it!
We have that tv too! LOL

When can we go back to Disney??
Disney Cruise with the Family June 2014
CBR 12/6-12/12 2013 Pop Warner Cheerleading Jr Midget Lg PW2 3rd place National Champions
POFQ 10/15-22 2008 for MNSSHP
CR MKTower 11/30 -12/10 2006 Holiday Invasion to the World
POFQ 2/5-2/8 2005 Princess #2 's first WDW trip!
Poly LV 2/7 -2/14 2004 Bringing our Princess to meet Cinderella
dreamalittledream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #34
valee
Mouseketeer

I started reading the budget forum thinking it would cover getting Disney items at reduced cost or saving money during Disney vacations. There are a few such postings, but most of the content is on general cost cutting, budget tips, and couponing advice. I wind up going to Mousesavers or a similar website to get Disney specific info.
I wish the dis boards had a General Budget Forum, and a separate Disney Budget Forum.
valee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #35
Miss Ang
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmrsellis View Post
If I'm scrounging up old soap and wiping my behind on washcloths I don't have the cash for a phone or Internet, let alone even thinking of planning a Disney trip. Please Budget Board friends, if those days ever come, tell me to spend my cash on something more worthwhile.
Caribbean Beach: 2009
Wilderness Lodge: June 2011
Art of Animation: March 2013

Miss Ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #36
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by valee View Post
I wish the dis boards had a General Budget Forum, and a separate Disney Budget Forum.
A similar question was posed to the BB (as a "sticky") by the board administrators -- unfortuntely, we never heard anything further...
Old 02-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #37
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

I have never purchased most of the things mentioned in thread titles on this board. I call it the Spending Board. It is sure not what I think of when I think of a Budget Board. I see very little actual financial info or tips here. Its all about shopping, sales & discount codes. Not info I need.

I'm not about extreme measures to be able to save up for a trip. We have a budget we have followed for years. We know how to live within our income. We know that saving money in the bank & retirement is more important than material things & trips. When he had debt & a mortgage, we knew that paying those items off first was our priority. We are very pleased with all that we have accomplished at our age, what we have saved, and the trips around the USA we have taken. We enjoy our hobbies also.

And on 1 income - military salary - we sure are not racking in the big bucks like a lot of people on the DIS.

Last edited by beaucoup; 02-13-2013 at 04:56 PM.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #38
fuzzy164
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheddj View Post
My faves were the ones explaining how to make grilled cheese sandwiches, quesadillas, etc., using the irons in hotel rooms! Gross.
The other one was making tomato soup with catsup packages and the in room coffee maker to go with the grilled cheese....
fuzzy164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #39
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

Quote:
I started reading the budget forum thinking it would cover getting Disney items at reduced cost or saving money during Disney vacations. There are a few such postings, but most of the content is on general cost cutting, budget tips, and couponing advice. I wind up going to Mousesavers or a similar website to get Disney specific info.
The fact of the matter is there just aren't that many new ways to save, that would be a pretty inactive board. If you have specific questions about ways to save, like on meals for example, ask and you will get plenty of tips. Or you could use the search because those topics have been covered repeatedly and there's just not any new info to add.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #40
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's the same, isn't it? Saving money, I mean? How is saving for Disney different than saving for anything else? Whatever money you save, apply it to Disney.. Now you can keep using this board..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #41
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheddj View Post
Agree! We need a good eatin' a can o' corn on Main Street thread every now and again!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #42
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbornkuntry View Post
The fact of the matter is there just aren't that many new ways to save, that would be a pretty inactive board. If you have specific questions about ways to save, like on meals for example, ask and you will get plenty of tips. Or you could use the search because those topics have been covered repeatedly and there's just not any new info to add.
And the ways there are to save have almost completely gone by the wayside - or are more effectively covered on other boards.

Want to save on airfare? - the transportation board is a better spot. Want an offsite hotel? - there is a board for that.

And we've gotten too judgmental. We've gotten to the point where if someone suggests splitting meals it must be because their family will have their house foreclosed on and face bankruptcy if they spend the full cost of the meal. But, you really don't need that many calories Not everyone needs to do a Disney trip with three character meals and Bibbity Bobbity Boutique - and I think we need to be a little more tolerant of the shoestring budget - it doesn't mean that they are living beyond their means, they could simply be trying to live within them.

That doesn't mean you should bring your can opener and can of corn But it does mean I think we should be more open to "hey, the Days Inn is clean and close and since you'll have a car anyway" and not so quick to say "by the time you pay for parking you might as well stay at a Value, its so much nicer and not that much more expensive after factoring in parking"
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #43
tink2dw
Pixie Dust or Bust!!
~~~*~~~

Location: Earth From Drizzling Rain to Blazing Sun! With towering wind storms!!

You should have been here at Christmas! I was amazed at a post, Which tablet is better for a 5 year old, the $1,200.00 or the $800.00? Which one is best?

I did not have that problem. My 5 year old wanted a Disney movie, a Barbie, and Candyland [a board game, you played on the floor, with your friends or cousins, you laughed out loud, and someone complained someone had 2 turns!] Those were the Days!!

In the whole of my life time I have never had $800.00 I could spend on gifts for a whole family, let alone one 5 year old. My used car cost $600.00 and I still drive it!

Growing Up A.D.D. <- Dd's illustrated blog (a humorous look at growing up with ADD.)
Sea World-Jan 24, 2008 ~ DL & DCA-Jan 25-31 2008
Relaxed Ride, on Disneyland Express Bus to LAX
DL & DCA-May 6-11, 2006
DL & DCA-Jan.1-7, 2003
WDW-Mar-18-Apr-7, 2001
DL April 1991, April 1992, May 1994
WDW-Jan 30-Feb 4,1989

Last edited by tink2dw; 02-13-2013 at 09:49 PM.
tink2dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #44
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
I think we need to be a little more tolerant of the shoestring budget - it doesn't mean that they are living beyond their means, they could simply be trying to live within them.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #45
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
And we've gotten too judgmental. We've gotten to the point where if someone suggests splitting meals it must be because their family will have their house foreclosed on and face bankruptcy if they spend the full cost of the meal. But, you really don't need that many calories Not everyone needs to do a Disney trip with three character meals and Bibbity Bobbity Boutique - and I think we need to be a little more tolerant of the shoestring budget - it doesn't mean that they are living beyond their means, they could simply be trying to live within them.
That's the one thing I'd change about this board. Ask a question about saving or cutting corners on a Disney trip and you get the third degree from the Dave Ramsey disciples over whether you can really afford the trip in the first place. Ask a question about a real-life budget concern and the first thing you get is people picking apart any future or recent past trips in your signature. It certainly gets very judgmental at times and I think that sends a lot of average people - the ones doing a little better than paycheck-to-paycheck who have managable credit card debt or car payments and haven't fully funded their retirement and kids' college, but who <gasp> vacation anyway - to other boards with their budget-related questions or concerns.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: