Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #46
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Someone above mentioned being able to show up to your early dinner at 6 or 6:15. That's really not a good idea, as it will throw off your serving team's schedule and ability to provide excellent service, and possibly delay the meals everyone else at your table (and even the whole section) wants to order at 5:45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta
Our CC days says 8:30-4:45. It doesn't seem like we'll be rushed. Is the 4:45 the time the ship takes off? Dinner is at 5:45. I have no clue though as we've never done this.
The times in the schedule are offshore and all aboard times. If you walk up the gangway right at 4:45, meaning you do not leave CC early at all, you still have an entire hour before dinner. Again, the rushing thing is a circumstantial, changing thing, and should not be considered as something that will ALWAYS be relevant to your choice for early dining. In fact, the only time we have ever felt rushed was before LATE dining when our spa villa appt started late and went way over what we had planned.

Last edited by Meghatron; 02-05-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #47
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
Someone above mentioned being able to show up to your early dinner at 6 or 6:15. That's really not a good idea, as it will throw off your serving team's schedule and ability to provide excellent service, and possibly delay the meals everyone else at your table (and even the whole section) wants to order at 5:45.

The times in the schedule are offshore and all aboard times. If you walk up the gangway right at 4:45, meaning you do not leave CC early at all, you still have an entire hour before dinner. Again, the rushing thing is a circumstantial, changing thing, and should not be considered as something that will ALWAYS be relevant to your choice for early dining. In fact, the only time we have ever felt rushed was before LATE dining when our spa villa appt started late and went way over what we had planned.

All aboard meaning we must be on board at the time? Not the time it leaves the port? That's perfect then. Leaving CC early was my concern. I want as much as possible there. Plus, like others, we aren't doddlers and with only two of us, it should take any time to get ready.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #48
tajz90
Mama D

On late port days, they hold the early dinner allowing for more time. At least that is what they did during Med and Baltic cruise. A majority of people with early would be late, but it's not advisable to just show up late because you want to

We have had late once and early on all subsequent cruises. Our children are 14 and 20 now and we all still prefer dinner and a show in that order and we generally meet on deck around 11:30 for a midnight snack of pizza.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #49
SnipsNSnails
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
2.Someone here mentioned "If you do late seating, your kids will more than likely be awake for the early show. I'd rather have my kid sleep through dinner than a show they'd enjoy." I agreed with this.
On our upcoming 8 day, there is a 2 or 2:30 showing of several of the shows so I was happy to see that as an alternative to the late after dinner shows.

7/1996 - CBR, 12/1998 - BC, 12/2008 - Pop DDP, 9/2011 - CBR DDP, 2/2013 - DCL Magic, 6/2013 - DL BWPPI
4 Generations Do WDW - Sept 2011 Trip Report
SnipsNSnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #50
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Our CC days says 8:30-4:45. It doesn't seem like we'll be rushed. Is the 4:45 the time the ship takes off? Dinner is at 5:45. I have no clue though as we've never done this.
Usually the ships pull away exactly at 5. I was sitting on the verandah waiting for it, got up for 3 seconds and when I returned they had the ropes off and the crew was waving goodbye.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #51
CaptainJacq
10 minutes from WDW, Orlando, Florida!

In answer to the OP, late seating for us as a couple as less children around.

If we had any children with us we would do early.
CaptainJacq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #52
momtomattclare
Mouseketeer

Yikes, I'm a first timer and we're scheduled to have early seating on the Dream this March. Reading all the posts about not having to rush to get ready for dinner are ringing true for me....do you think I'd be able to switch it? There are 3 of us in my group....

momtomattclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #53
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtomattclare
Yikes, I'm a first timer and we're scheduled to have early seating on the Dream this March. Reading all the posts about not having to rush to get ready for dinner are ringing true for me....do you think I'd be able to switch it? There are 3 of us in my group....
I do think you will be able to. I've never heard of a waiting list for second seating
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #54
Stitch'sCousin
DIS Veteran

Normally people want to switch to main dining from second dining so you should have no problems going to the later dining time.
Stitch'sCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #55
jahber
DIS Veteran

We are night owls, but I actually prefer early seating. For one thing, my 5yo and 8yo are better behaved. I don't need to inflict my cranky kids on anyone .

The more important thing, though, is that eating early gives us plenty of evening time to swim, play, sit on the verandah and drink some decaf with Bailey's and a cheese plate, maybe order a room service cookie, and for the kids: spend more time at the clubs! Everyone's vacation is different, but even as a night owl I feel like the night is pretty much over by the time of get out of dinner. We were still finishing dessert at 9:30! Then how can you fit in second dessert???
And don't forget the pirate buffet!
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #56
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Thank you everyone for the insights and replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Usually the ships pull away exactly at 5. I was sitting on the verandah waiting for it, got up for 3 seconds and when I returned they had the ropes off and the crew was waving goodbye.

Nancy

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
We are night owls, but I actually prefer early seating. For one thing, my 5yo and 8yo are better behaved. I don't need to inflict my cranky kids on anyone .

The more important thing, though, is that eating early gives us plenty of evening time to swim, play, sit on the verandah and drink some decaf with Bailey's and a cheese plate, maybe order a room service cookie, and for the kids: spend more time at the clubs! Everyone's vacation is different, but even as a night owl I feel like the night is pretty much over by the time of get out of dinner. We were still finishing dessert at 9:30! Then how can you fit in second dessert???

The bold is my thinking exactly. If we do late seating there's little to no chance we'll spoil ourselves with room service. Believe it or not, it's one of things DS is most looking forward to.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #57
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post

You said it better than me but just how we feel!
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #58
MoserFamily
Earning My Ears

We do first, but only because my son can't stay awake. We don't eat early at home, but on the cruise, he's so tired out that he usually just barely makes it through first seating as it is. He's almost 4, but I honestly don't know if that will ever change (although it will hopefully gradually get later) - he just doesn't do nights. My daughter, however, at any age would have been completely fine with late dining. So, it probably depends on how good you are with eating late. It is a bit of a pain to have to leave the pool deck to get ready for dinner. But, it's better than the alternative of a cranky boy through dinner, for us.
MoserFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #59
crundell
Mouseketeer

Wow, this is a very informative thread for a newbie. Even though I will be "stuck" with late dinning since main dinning is booked I am realizing since we will be traveling from PST East late dinning will work better for us. Thanks!
crundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #60
DVCNuts
Platinum At Last!

Late dinner = fewer kids and slower pace. Good for some of us, not for everyone.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: