Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #16
Mandy923
Earning My Ears

Wow- I really feel for everyone onboard! I hope this whole nightmare of an ordeal is over for them, very soon!
Mandy923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
Thanks for the info! What a relief to hear all that.

Thank goodness the fire was able to be put out is the main thing, too. What had it spread and not been easily put out? Is there some kind of system in place to make sure it can absolutely be put out??

With anything regarding a Ship..........I never say NEVER!

However all the cruise ships have highly effective fire supression systems. The engine room would have water and foam capabilities and a CO2 system.
In addition the compartments effected with a fire can be qiuckly sealed and the air flow stopped and sealed.

The reports I have seen said the vessel automatic fire supression system put out the fire, with the help of the cew as well.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #18
emeraldluvsbama
Earning My Ears

I live in Mobile and my father used to work for the cruise terminal. It is a very nice terminal and we have also heard that they have people ready to help the passengers off the ship. Some of these are even volunteers just wanting to help these poor people after their experience. I was reading an article online earlier today about the ship being towed to Mobile and the comments on the article were horrible. They were saying awful things like I think I would rather stay on the ship than be towed to Alabama. How extremely ignorant! Mobile is a very nice port city with very friendly people.
emeraldluvsbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #19
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Hummmm. Sorry I didn't get it but that's because I didn't get the technical stuff. Why did she list? If she had stayed out there does that mean she would eventually sink?

Based on the videos I saw and the wind. The wind was blowing against the side of the ship and could easily given her that little 2 to 4 degree list. The hull side is really big!

I have not heard of any ballest and ship issue that would have cuased it.

AKK
Old 02-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #20
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldluvsbama View Post
I live in Mobile and my father used to work for the cruise terminal. It is a very nice terminal and we have also heard that they have people ready to help the passengers off the ship. Some of these are even volunteers just wanting to help these poor people after their experience. I was reading an article online earlier today about the ship being towed to Mobile and the comments on the article were horrible. They were saying awful things like I think I would rather stay on the ship than be towed to Alabama. How extremely ignorant! Mobile is a very nice port city with very friendly people.
I'll stand an raise a Cheer for Mobile!!!..great little resteurants and the battleship Alabama!

I stayed 3 months in the yard there with the Sabine Tanker Red River. I am a Yankee, but the truth be told there is such a thing a *Southern hosiptality!*
Old 02-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #21
Jubilee
<3 my kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldluvsbama View Post
Ugh, I'm pretty sure the majority of people that leave comments on articles are really miserable teenagers whom have not yet developed a conscience
Old 02-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #22
emeraldluvsbama
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
I'll stand an raise a Cheer for Mobile!!!..great little resteurants and the battleship Alabama!

I stayed 3 months in the yard there with the Sabine Tanker Red River. I am a Yankee, but the truth be told there is such a thing a *Southern hosiptality!*
emeraldluvsbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #23
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

This was reported earlier about the list:

Quote:
The ship is listing to 4.5degrees and although not dangerous, the angle of the boat is 'not normal and would definitely be felt by passengers walking around',
As for Alabama, I'm sure it's a great place but it does have a reputation from it's past and because of it's current politics. And I'm not going anywhere near those issues.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #24
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy923 View Post
Wow- I really feel for everyone onboard! I hope this whole nightmare of an ordeal is over for them, very soon!
The many reports coming in are getting to paint a rough and nasty picture on board.However I am sure the media will make it worse then it is.

I am sure the crew to doing everything they can. Sialor are one of the few proffessions where duty is very important. The safety of the vessel, cargo (in this case people) and then themselves come first. If everyone keeps thier cool they can make the best of a bad situation. The most important thing is everyone is safe.

AKK
Old 02-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #25
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper

The many reports coming in are getting to paint a rough and nasty picture on board.However I am sure the media will make it worse then it is.

I am sure the crew to doing everything they can. Sialor are one of the few proffessions where duty is very important. The safety of the vessel, cargo (in this case people) and then themselves come first. If everyone keeps thier cool they can make the best of a bad situation. The most important thing is everyone is safe.

AKK
Can't even imagine. What a horrible experience. Anyone know how the fire started?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #26
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

I saw an interview today with a gentleman who's mother and her boyfriend are aboard the ship and according to him, she reports there are feces everywhere, very little food, and the smell is horrible. Carnival's statement was bland.

I know this can happen on any cruise line. I was leery about Carnival while deciding on a cruise line for DS's trip. I'm glad I chose Disney.

I feel very bad for all of those stuck aboard this ship; crew and guests alike. Thankfully the good people of Mobile are there to help.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #27
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta
I saw an interview today with a gentleman who's mother and her boyfriend are aboard the ship and according to him, she reports there are feces everywhere, very little food, and the smell is horrible. Carnival's statement was bland.

I know this can happen on any cruise line. I was leery about Carnival while deciding on a cruise line for DS's trip. I'm glad I chose Disney.

I feel very bad for all of those stuck aboard this ship; crew and guests alike. Thankfully the good people of Mobile are there to help.
Feces everywhere????? What does that mean I wonder? People drooling everywhere.

I can definitely see how it would smell horribly. Those poor people. I'd hate for my kid to be in that kind of situation. Ugh.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #28
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Feces everywhere????? What does that mean I wonder? People drooling everywhere.

I can definitely see how it would smell horribly. Those poor people. I'd hate for my kid to be in that kind of situation. Ugh.
"Robert Giordano, of the Oklahoma City suburb of Edmond, said he last spoke to his wife, Shannon, on Monday. She told him she waited in line for three hours to get a hot dog, and that conditions on the ship were terrible.

"They're having to urinate in the shower. They've been passed out plastic bags to go to the bathroom," Giordano said. "There was fecal matter all over the floor."

http://news.yahoo.com/carnival-cance...193435121.html
NurseDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #29
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post

I find it amazing (and maybe I shouldn't) that whenever there is a major storm, tornato, hurricane, flood. ship/transportation accident, any problem!! and the chips are down and people need help (anywhere in the world for that matter) we are there ready to do what needs to be done.

AKK
Old 02-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #30
melwill530
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
I hope they can get in before dark.........there is about 40 miles from the sea bouy to the dock, guessing on the distance, I have not been in Mobile since hurricane Fred in the late 70'tys.

I also read they have 200 people ready to help the passingers off the ship.

AKK
They should be able to get in. Up until last year they used to cruise out of Mobile Bay, then Carnival left the city of Mobile high and dry and in debt for a cruise ship terminal.

We are looking forward to showing the passengers some southern hospitality. Hopefully everyone is in good health after this ordeal. There are going to be medical staff available for the passengers as well.
melwill530 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: