Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
Wshop
Mouseketeer

Which dining rotation do you recommend...as you are all very experienced cruisers!! I am torn between 1 and 3.
Wshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #17
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kara486 View Post
Dining Rotation should be as follows:
1) LAAPOAPL
2) APPLOPLA
3) PLLAOLAP
*The O is WDW day and they will not have rotational dining that night.

Thanks for your great info. We are going on March 29!

On the 'O' dining day will they just have all the restaurants open and you can go wherever, whenever you get back to the ship? Or will they all be closed but the buffet?
from the cruisers that came back today, it sounds like they had one restaraunt with open seating, another open with a buffet, and then topsider was open from about 9pm till 12:30am. Should be able to find something whatever time you get back. They will let us know the night before what will be open upon our return.

Total: 18 DCL Cruises / Total Nights on Board: 103 / Favorite Ship: Magic

2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

MAGIC - 6, WONDER - 5, DREAM - 5, FANTASY - 2

Last edited by Justacruiser; 01-28-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #18
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wshop View Post
Which dining rotation do you recommend...as you are all very experienced cruisers!! I am torn between 1 and 3.
Option 3 has you in Lumiere's on the Formal Night. If you fancy up, that would be a good night to be there.

2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)

Old 01-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #19
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Day 1 evening, we usually have Main Seating so we eat dinner at 5:30. It takes between 1.5 and 2.0 hours. The first night is usually the longest due to the fact that the servers do not know you. Most servers will pick up what your drinks are and keep the refills coming as needed. One hint I can recommend is that if you like cheese, ask for a cheese tray. Be specific with the types or you can ask for a sample. Don't be surprised if they ask if you want that every night. We do, and it s great. They can also provide a fruit plate if you choose.

Servers are genuin when they ask if they can offer you something not on the menu. Last 7-day cruise, I actually did not order much from the Main course menu. It was my favorite cruise ever as far as the food goes and the service. After dinner we have about 30 minutes before the show, so we either go out on deck 4 and sit in the chair, walk a lap, or we stroll through the gift shops.

After the shows, we hop up stairs to grab and soft drink and either some Pinocchio's Pizza or some fries or a taco from Pluto's. By the way, the Magic IS the only ship that has Tacos at Pluto's Dog House. I actually get their fries, have them put the taco meat and shredded cheese. mmmmmmmmm

After our snack we will return to the room to find our towel animal and navigator. We also will watch a movie in the room. Before I forget, at least one night during the cruise we order chocolate chip cookies and milk thru room service. Allow them up to an hour to deliver. Tip a couple of bucks.

Last edited by Justacruiser; 01-28-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #20
JoeHiking
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacruiser View Post
Today, I went on-line to book transportation to Animal Kingdom on 2/19. Because we didn't book till late, didn't get the time I wanted to depart the ship to bus over to Animal Kingdom. To inform all of you that might be taking the same 8-day cruise over to WDW, you MUST reserve your time to get off the ship onto a bus to carry you over to WDW parks. I was informed that Epcot is the park that is open early (8am) with the rest of the parks opening at 9am. I also found out that buses will depart every half-hour till about 30 minutes after a partk closes with the last bus leaving MK about 11:15pm. Information will be published in our navigator.
Do you know if there is any transportation between parks available with the park-hopper? We are doing the same cruise March 1st, We would like to go to the Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. Thanks for the info.
JoeHiking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

Just use Disney world transportation, (it's free!), to get between parks. And then take the bus back to the ship from your last park.
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #22
mikulecmm
Earning My Ears

on the cruise feb 15

Does anyone know if the pools are heated? I am thinking the water will be too cold to swim. Thanks.
mikulecmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #23
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikulecmm View Post
Does anyone know if the pools are heated? I am thinking the water will be too cold to swim. Thanks.
the pools are heated and stay at around 80 degrees

Old 02-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #24
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Leaving at midinight tonight to drive to Galveston (570 miles each way). Be at the terminal around 1030. I will try to gather information to give a great TR upon my return.: cool1:

Old 02-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #25
Karen87
Earning My Ears

Great info!

Thanks so much for your pre-trip report! I am taking my first Magic-al Disney cruise on April 26th out of Galveston (my b-day) alone with my DH (HIS b-day is on May 4th, debarkation day).

Your info has been really helpful! Since this is our first DCL cruise, I couldn't book anything until 75 days out. I was actually up at midnight and got an early bus to MK. Woo-hoo!

You should be in WDW today! I'm so jealous - hope you're having a great time. Really looking forward to your trip report when you return.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #26
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Got off the boat on Saturday.

Here is a short trip report.

Did decide to leave Friday morning at 12:30 am. Drove the 570 miles toward Galveston. It was kind of nurve racking, had the television on CNN for the entire evening before I left watching the Carnival ship being pulled into port. They ended up transporting those cruiser that had driven their own cars over to Galveston. They showed up the same time we did. A little more on that in a minute.

Anyway, left at 12:30 am to drive the 570 miles. Go thru Dallas and Galveston on the drive so wanted to start early to avoid the traffic. Although the DW still can't understand why we left early, my plan worked like a charm except for my sleep!

Hit Dallas about 5am and made it through with no problems at all. Did not go over the speed limit the whole time, wasn't in a rush to sit at the terminal. Hit Galveston about 9am with a little traffic, probably slowed us down about 15 minutes total. From there, I was doing about 60 in the 70 mph zones, again no hurry.

Got to the terminal about 10:30 am. The port was open and we were able to drop off the luggage at the terminal and park the car at the cruise ship parking. Very easy and quick drop off and returned on previous cruise. Went through customs and checked in by 11:00 am and waited to board. Had boarding number 1 because we are Platinum, but started boarding at 12 noon.

Went straight to Rockin' Bar D to request a change from second dining to Main Dining. Also made a Brunch Reservation at Palo. I was able to get Main Seat Dining thanks to our Head Waiter Jose. By the way, we are on the Disney Magic Ship. They actually assigned us a table without a number, called it 65A. A table just for me and my DW. A little pixie MAGIC. (we have requested Main Dining before and been turned down, even once on board, just worked out this time).

With Main Dining and a Brunch reservation for day 5 in hand, went up to Topsider Buffet on deck 9.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #27
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

At Topsider Buffet they had an assortment of food for you to select from. It's not a bad buffet, but it doesn't compare to the Dream and Fantasy ships. Not because they don't want to provide more options, there is just not the room. I have heard that they are going to remodel Topsider while in dry dock later this year.

We sat inside while having lunch and continued to watch the folks board the Magic and look at the camera crews filming the folks getting off the buses after the agonizing cruise on the Carnival ship.

We were able to get into our room at 1:30 pm, room 7114, 5C. That is an aft room on the port side near the rear elivators. Nice location accept accross from the freight elivators for the CM's. Noise wasn't bad after the frist few hours of them lugging luggage around. Would not mind the room again. Nice location to AP, PC, and the drink station on deck 9. Also, extremely easy to navigate ship, always had to turn left out of room.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #28
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

We recieved our luggage and was able to put it away prior to our DRILL at 3:45. I unpack my stuff and use the tall trunk they provide along with one side of the closet. This was an 8-day cruise so I brought a little more than normal. I brought the following:

Slacks: 3 (grey, black, black/blue)
Dress Shirts: 4 (yellow, whiite, burgendy, white/black stripe)
Black dress shoes - 1
Dress socks - 1 (wear over white socks during the evening and re-use)
White Socks - 8 pair
Beach Shoes - 1 pair
Tennis Shoes - 1 (on my feet)
Hat - 1
Belt - 1
Swim Suite and t-shirt for Castaway Cay
Shorts - 5
Short Sleave Shirts - 8
Jeans - 1 (seasonal - wore off the board to drive home)
Puzzle Books - 2
Cell Phone charger
shaving kit

I feel I am pretty organized, got the packing about down now. Takes about an hour and I am done. The DW on the other hand, packs what she wants to pack, don't get involved except loading it in the car.

Anyway, with the room 7114, we had site "T" for the DRILL, happened to be in AP, not good if a real event but get to sit during the drill. After that, dinner time. Dinner rotation was PLLAOLAP. Nights 1,3 and 4 were the rotational dinners. Night 2 was Formal Night.

A great websight to see the menus is http://goo.gl/rBIR4

Some menus might be outdated but look pretty accurate.

My PC choices:
Baked Crab Dip Martinique (very good)
Cream of Green Asparagus Soup (good)
Parrot Cay Salad (very good)
Insland Spcied Grilled Rib Eye (very good)
Chocolate S'More Vanilla Cake (good)

Lumiere's Menu
"Gaston's" Escargots Gratines (very good)
Mrs. Potts French Onion Soup (very good)
Aged Angus Grilled Beef Tenderloin (very good) - also have had the Lumiere's Sea Bass (very good)
Chocolate Mousse (very good)

AP Menu
Wild Mushroom Risotto and Porcini Twist (good)
Baked Potato and Cheddar Cheese Soup (good)
Sirloin Steak (safe Choice - good)
Bukled Warm Apple Crumble - (very good)

Last edited by Justacruiser; 02-25-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #29
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Main dining started at 5:30 so inbetween the Drill, the Deck Party (must see if you haven't seen it), there is just a little time to get dressed for dinner. But, we always make dinner. It is really funny watching all the folks for Main Seating to start gathering around 5:15 the first night. Even when they tell folks they have an assigned table and staff, so their is no rush to get to the table. The first night we had P, and rotational dining. I told you already what I had to eat so I won't go there again.

We generally finish about 7:00-7:15pm. We always request a 4-top table for 2 and have always gotten our request. The evening show starts at 8:30 with the doors opening at 8:00, so we generally walk the deck, or walk into the shops until 8:00. We generally sit in the same seats. Have done so for many cruises now. The show on the first night was a welcome aboard show. Very little CM's involved and then they had a couple of variety acts. Show let out by 9:30 every night.

After that we go to deck 9 and get our staple (diet coke) and generally a slice of pizza (or two). After that we went to the room to find our room preapred for us. Towel animal, a piece of chocolate and we are ready for bed. End of day 1!

Old 02-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #30
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Day 2
Day 2 on the 8-day Galveston cruiise was a Sunday. We slept in a little bit. I ran up to Topsiders and got two plates to go and grabbed our diet coke. Wife loves a bacon and bagel with cream cheese. I like to go around back and have an omelet made and then biscuit w/ gravy.

After that we head to the protestant service held in sessions at about 10am. just a few attend, but it is nice of the Magic to provide a service. Lasts about 45 minutes. I think there was also a cooking class, Apple Straudel after that. I go to get the straudel. I or my DW would rather go on the cruise to have it than spend the time making it.

Lunch at Topsiders buffet, everyday the have a theme but it all seems to be about the same excpet for seafood day which was day 7. My DW prefers the fast food for lunch so we kind of trade off. She really likes the taco's only found on the Magic.

The afternoons for us on board are a little stail. DW says we have cruise a little too much lately, 9 DCL cruises in 25 months. At least we don't go back until 6 April 2013 (fantasy). I watch some tv and the DW did her puzzle books till dinner. Formal Night! Everyone who wanted to dressed up and I wore my normal slacks and oxford shirt. I really like that the Magic took pictures in the Atrium rather than the dining rooms. If you wanted a picture, you could wait in line otherwise you could just eat.

The performance in the theater was Twice Charmed. Good Cinderella what if story. We always where are dress clothes to the evening performances. Some people change, but we don't like to change 3 times in a day.

That night rather than the pizza, I ordered chocolate chip cookies (warm) and milk from room service. It can take about a half hour, but it is one of the highlights of the cruise. I tip a couple of dollars and watch a movie until bed. End of day 2.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: