Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #91
KorbensMomma
Mouseketeer

We were there feb 1-5, we used the Easywdw crowd calendars but AK was mobbed the day we went.
We have mixed reviews of the "15's" we left HS one night and they took up 5 full buses. I am a pretty patient person so having to wait did not bother me at all, however when they started chanting loudly after midnight and we had a sleeping 5 mth old it did tick me/ and the rest of the line off. It wasn't so much the girls either, they were just in line like everyone else, just happy teenagers, it was the leaders/chaperone that kept riling them up and starting the chants.
However the next day we went back to HS for a few hrs and 4 of the girls chased up down to give us a baby toy that we dropped, they were very polite to us anytime we ran into them. But boy howdy that one night at the bus was bad, but I blame that on the chaperones.
Also each group in line had about 20/25 teenage girls and one gorgeous 20-25 yr old guy as a chaperone, we never saw a female chaperone,which seemed odd.
KorbensMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #92
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorbensMomma View Post
We were there feb 1-5, we used the Easywdw crowd calendars but AK was mobbed the day we went.
We have mixed reviews of the "15's" we left HS one night and they took up 5 full buses. I am a pretty patient person so having to wait did not bother me at all, however when they started chanting loudly after midnight and we had a sleeping 5 mth old it did tick me/ and the rest of the line off. It wasn't so much the girls either, they were just in line like everyone else, just happy teenagers, it was the leaders/chaperone that kept riling them up and starting the chants.
However the next day we went back to HS for a few hrs and 4 of the girls chased up down to give us a baby toy that we dropped, they were very polite to us anytime we ran into them. But boy howdy that one night at the bus was bad, but I blame that on the chaperones.
Also each group in line had about 20/25 teenage girls and one gorgeous 20-25 yr old guy as a chaperone, we never saw a female chaperone,which seemed odd.
We ran into the group at the Animal Kingdom on Feb. 4th. They weren't too bad, we just avoided them. We did have a few bad moments, where one group was coming towards us, so we went to the right to go around them, and another group formed and followed us, so we were kind of trapped between 2 groups! But, we just stopped, and let them flow around us.

We had our own car, so didn't have to wait for any buses, and luckily, didn't run into any big groups on the monorails or trams. The strategy of zigging, when they zag, worked well for us.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #93
Ariel1014
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrToad1345 View Post
We head down on 2/23 and haven't even told our kids yet. What fun!! My DW has her fingers crossed that no BTG or Big Snow issues!!
We head down on the 23rd as well. Hoping for now snow issues too!

April 1987 - Offsite
July 1989 - Offisite
Aug 1991 - Offsite
June 2001 - ASMu
Feb 2005 - Pop
Jan 2010 - Pop
Jan 25 - 30, 2011 - POFQ
Jan 27 - 31, 2012 - Pop
Feb 23 - March 1, 2013 POP
Feb 23 - March 1, 2014 POP
January 10 - 17, 2015 POP
Ariel1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #94
hhuck
Earning My Ears

We are going on 23rd too... does everyone think I am crazy to be going to MK on the 25th? and Epcot on 24th? My dad has been able to join us for a 3 day trip and it was really the only thing that worked... but I dont want it to be crazy miserably crowded. I know it is a park to avoid, because supposedly the marathon crowd will attend that day? And there is the electrical parade twice...

Any thoughts or tips?

Also, we havent told our girls yet either.. Cant decide whether to wake them up and tell them, or tell them a few days before so their anticipation can build... they are 6 and almost 3... any opinions on this based on your own experience? So excited!
hhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #95
Ds4angels
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhuck View Post
We are going on 23rd too... does everyone think I am crazy to be going to MK on the 25th? and Epcot on 24th? My dad has been able to join us for a 3 day trip and it was really the only thing that worked... but I dont want it to be crazy miserably crowded. I know it is a park to avoid, because supposedly the marathon crowd will attend that day? And there is the electrical parade twice...

Any thoughts or tips?

Also, we havent told our girls yet either.. Cant decide whether to wake them up and tell them, or tell them a few days before so their anticipation can build... they are 6 and almost 3... any opinions on this based on your own experience? So excited!
We didn't tell our kids till we got there. There were so excited!! It was neat to see their excitement play out in front of the cast members when we checked in
Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #96
Ariel1014
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhuck View Post

Any thoughts or tips?

We plan on going to Epcot on the 24th. From what I saw it was a recommended park aside from some morning traffic getting there.

April 1987 - Offsite
July 1989 - Offisite
Aug 1991 - Offsite
June 2001 - ASMu
Feb 2005 - Pop
Jan 2010 - Pop
Jan 25 - 30, 2011 - POFQ
Jan 27 - 31, 2012 - Pop
Feb 23 - March 1, 2013 POP
Feb 23 - March 1, 2014 POP
January 10 - 17, 2015 POP
Ariel1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #97
cey
DIS Veteran

I was at MK on Feb 8th and believe me easywdw was way off on its predictions! It was packed with at least 25 cheerleading groups, splash mountain was down for construction and they didn't open Little Mermaid until 1pm. You could get FPs but mine was for 6 hours after I arrived! I stood in line for over an hour and the air conditioning was only working near the ride area! February is fast turning into a crazy time to go. Believe me, I was there the first two weeks of December and crowds were smaller! I know the renovations are not helping matters at MK, but PoC down to one lane?, Really! Just before President's week! Not a lot of happy campers that day! So glad to be staying off-site!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #98
dismikki
Mouseketeer

I am going to Epcot on the 24th and MK on the 23rd. We are just going early and planning on crowds. It is still better than work! :-)

September 2003 Coronado Springs
October 2004 Wilderness Lodge
July 2005 Port Orleans-Riverside
December 2006 Port Oleans Riverside
July 2009 Disneyland
Sept 2009 Expedition Everest Challenge! AllStar Sports
February 2013 Princess Half Marathon-Carribean Beach
dismikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #99
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorbensMomma View Post
I've seen that "firing up" by the chaperone too. Do they think that keeps them entertained? We saw that one late evening, waiting for the MSEP in Frontierland. A group was walking back from BTMRR, across the little bridge/walkway along the water. The chaperone was leading them single file and chanting in like a call and answer format. So it went on for like 10 minutes. Really broke the relaxed vibe - lights down low, music playing softly, almost 11 pm and having a nice drink and snack while waiting for the parade. It was like an air horn being set up right next to your head

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #100
Chirple
Mouseketeer

We were originally scheduled to be in WDW from 2/6 – 2/9. When we heard more about the nor’easter that was heading in our home area, we extended our trip to 2/11. We are DVC and were staying at the VWL on points. We tried to get a cash room on property, but the only one available when I called on Thursday evening was in the Contemporary tower with a Bay Lake view; that would have set us back over $1000.00 for 2 nights (no discounts available). We called DVC MS to see if any rooms on points were available; all we could get was a 2 bedroom at SSR (we are only 2 adults). Sure, having the extra bathroom was nice; but it was weird having all of that space.

We had a mixed bag with crowds. For the most part, we are not RD people; I will usually get to the parks earlier than DH, but I rarely arrive before a park opens. We also have been to WDW many times over the last 15 years (sometimes 3-4 times in one year) so we don’t feel that everything is a “must do”.

My DH and I went to MK after we checked in at VWL about midday on 2/6; it was pretty quiet. We had no problems getting food or a table at Cosmic Ray’s for lunch. We were able to do a few attractions in the short time we were there.

On 2/7 we went to Animal Kingdom. We got 1:35 pm lunch at Tusker House through a walk-up to GR. No issues with lines or wait times.

Friday 2/8 we went back to MK. We utilized FP twice and waited in reasonable lines, but we did notice that wait times were longer than Wednesday’s. I was a bit intimidated by the line outside of PotC, but it really ended up being only about 15 minutes long. Having gone to WDW in November, we had already done the Little Mermaid ride (with no waits). This time I wanted to do ETWB so my husband humored me while we waited in a 40 minute line.

Saturday we headed to Epcot for the day. We grabbed a FP for Test Track, but the wait times were really long all around the park. We headed to WS and rode Maelstrom, which had a 20 minute wait. We really just walked around and soaked in the atmosphere.

Sunday was our take a break day. We didn’t head out until after 3 pm and went directly to DTD. We have DVC PAPs so we stopped in DQ and played a few games. We also checked out the new bowling alley. Despite the bus stop at Marketplace being closed for renovations, the PI bus stop wasn’t too bad when we left.

Monday I thought we were just going to relax at SSR until ME picked us up, but my DH wanted to head back to MK. Wow. Wow. Wow. The crowds were even bigger than Friday’s. The line for HM stretched back even further than the photo posted by a PP. We had lunch at Pecos Bill; the CMs were walking people with food to tables. I commented to him that for us it’s not a big deal if we can’t do anything except walk around because we will be back two more times this year; I thought about all of the families who might have expected lower crowds in February and planned their big vacation around it. Not everyone knows about websites like the DIS or about touring plans.

Experiences with different types of crowds in the parks vary. We encountered large groups of cheerleaders, who in the past were loud and doing their cheers while waiting in line. Not this time. All of the cheerleaders we encountered were really well behaved. We even had a group of them on our plane home, and they were all quiet once they were seated. We also saw quite a few tour groups, but they were also very quiet. I’m not saying that they were all like this; the ones we saw were.

These crowds would not stop me from going in February again; it was my birthday, and I love spending it in WDW.
Chirple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #101
Disneytwinsmom
DIS Veteran

I've been there the 3rd week of January and loved it, as well as the last week in September. So we stick to those and have no complaints!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #102
MrToad1345
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhuck

Any thoughts or tips?

We haven't even looked at the crowds, but figure that the first couple days are going to be crazy, but hey we'll deal with it.
It kids are 11 and 13 and I think it will be first thing Saturday morning and we'll tell them to get up and pack. They won't know what hit them
Old 02-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #103
KimK2006
DIS Veteran

We were there 2/7 - 11 for the Nationals Cheerleading competition. The girls went to the park for about 5 hours on Friday (2/8) in between morning and afternoon practice. (Comp didn't start until Saturday.) Coach decided on MK because 5-6 of the girls had never been there. According to Touring Plans, MK was supposed to be the least crowded park @ 3.2. It was NOT a 3.2! It was SO busy. I was quite dispappointed in the crowds since I was hoping the girls could ride more rides during their time there. Luckily, this is the only time we went to a park because they made to the finals on Sunday afternoon! (This is their first time to be at Nationals, so making finals was HUGE!) There was an extremely lame "party" at DHS on Sunday night. There were THREE rides open! TS, RNR, TOT. You can imagine the lines. The girls were ready to leave early. Very disappointed in that.....
June, 2014 - POFQ February, 2013 - ASMo (Cheer Nationals) November, 2011 - YC May, 2010 - POFQ November, 2008 - CBR May/June, 2008 - POFQ May/June, 2007 - CSR October, 2006 - POFQ July, 2006 - Disney Wonder October, 2005 - POFQ November, 2004 - CR May/June, 2004 - WL June, 2003 - AKL October, 2002 - WL October, 2001 - CBR May, 2000 - ASMo May, 1999 - ASMo April, 1998 - POR
KimK2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #104
iowacedar
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIPSTER View Post
Just got back - 2/1 thru 2/10 trip - never will go in February. Couldn't believe the crowds - especially on Saturday. Couldn't move. And the "15" groups from South America were untolerable. I use a scooter and was trying to get on a bus at EPCOT when 4 groups converged and started chanting and they wouldn't let me get to the ramp to the bus. They were so rude! Cheerleaders were there on the weekends but they were well behaved. Downtown Disney was a zoo especially with only 1 bus stop. Any questions I'd be happy to answer. Weather was great though.
We were there last week. Tour groups were thick on Sunday Feb 3rd at MK. After awhile I refused to move over for these obnoxious people and THEY were forced to break formation as they met myself and my daughter and strolller. Disney needs to do something to address this issue! First off, any one like me who is annoyed at the 50+ person tour group formations needs to COMPLAIN to Disney guest relations!
iowacedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #105
Reizo
Mouseketeer

Just got back home from our quick getaway trip 2/10 - 2/13 with my wife and DD. Actually looked at EasyWDW and went to AK on Sunday morning and it was smooth sailing that day even when running into the occasional tour group. Was able to book Tusker House that morning too as well.

But EMH at MK that night was surprisingly for us not busy at all. We were able to walk onto many rides at most waiting 10-15min, if that. 2/11 we decided to visit HS during the day before joining MK at night for BOG and that's when we noticed the crowds and the congestion from that point forward. MK was slammed 2/13 but Epcot we did find enjoyable

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: